Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlingford hen party - bars

• 10-06-2019 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I’m organising a hen party in Carlingford (sorry if you’re all sick of hens/stags there). We are going for dinner in the Carlingford Arms at 8.30. I’ve tried to reserve a place in the bar there or else in Ma Baker’s or PJ O’Hare’s for drinks after dinner, but have been told that they don’t take reservations for drinks only. Does anyone know if it is difficult for a group (16 people) to get into these places? Last thing I want is for us to be stuck to find somewhere to go. It’ll be a Saturday night in summer so expect it will be busy.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

You'll be grand. Carlingford caters for hens regularly so you should have no issues with groups in any of the pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

You might not be guaranteed seats. I went there earlier this year and it was more groups of fellas and stags than hens, and the pub was jammed. Still got tables but can see why they weren't interested in taking reservations.
    If it's mild outside it will take some pressure off everyone piling inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dia squish

antix80 wrote: »
    You might not be guaranteed seats. I went there earlier this year and it was more groups of fellas and stags than hens, and the pub was jammed. Still got tables but can see why they weren't interested in taking reservations.
    If it's mild outside it will take some pressure off everyone piling inside.

Thanks! Do you happen to remember if any places were good or less crowded or were they all pretty much the same?
    We’re staying in a house in Oyster Bay Court, hoping the town is within walking distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Can't remember as we just went to PJs for food (packed) and another packed pub after.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

dia squish wrote: »
    hoping the town is within walking distance.

It is. You're only a couple of hundred meters away. Just mind the traffic on the main road if you're walking home.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

dia squish wrote: »
    Thanks! Do you happen to remember if any places were good or less crowded or were they all pretty much the same?
    We’re staying in a house in Oyster Bay Court, hoping the town is within walking distance.

Once the summer months hit all the pubs are rammed every weekend. Just the nature of the beast. It's a popular sea side village which attracts tourists and hens/stags so just accept it'll be mental busy and go with it.

It caters fairly well for it in fairness, but be under no illusion - you will be pushing past people and being pushed past in the pubs. If you get seats hold onto them with your lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

You have PJ's (The Anchor Bar), Ma Baker's, Taaffes & Carlingford Arms. The Village Hotel is on the Square but is usually quieter.

As previously stated if it's mild PJ's yard will have the best buzz, but will be packed.

+1 on being careful heading home, the main road is a racetrack.

Advertisement