Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage in one name

• 10-06-2019 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

So myself and my wife are going to approach banks in coming weeks to apply for a mortgage. Here is the issue im self employed and also not a first time buyer, due to the sale of my current house we need a mortgage of 200k, she will qualify for that off of her wage alone,

so the question is is it possible for a married couple to get a mortgage in just one name, if so can my name be added to mortgage at a later date, if there anything we need to watch out for if he decide to go this route

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭3DataModem

jap gt wrote: »
    So myself and my wife are going to approach banks in coming weeks to apply for a mortgage. Here is the issue im self employed and also not a first time buyer, due to the sale of my current house we need a mortgage of 200k, she will qualify for that off of her wage alone,

so the question is is it possible for a married couple to get a mortgage in just one name, if so can my name be added to mortgage at a later date, if there anything we need to watch out for if he decide to go this route

is it possible for a married couple to get a mortgage in just one name?
    > generally no. Definitely no if you both own the house.

can my name be added to mortgage at a later date
    > why would you want to do this? this doesn't benefit you in any way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

In practise she still isn't entitled to first time buyers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

In practise she still isn't entitled to first time buyers.

Why is this? My house is in my name and she never lived there, i should add that my house is now sold and we are renting

3DataModem wrote: »
    is it possible for a married couple to get a mortgage in just one name?
    > generally no. Definitely no if you both own the house.

can my name be added to mortgage at a later date
    > why would you want to do this? this doesn't benefit you in any way

House is in my name only she never lived there, name on mortgage is wrong i meant on the deeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

If your married, your not able to do any of what you want to do.

• Advertisement

Why is this? My house is in my name and she never lived there, i should add that my house is now sold and we are renting
    Well she's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,121 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you get married to someone who has used up their first time buyer status then you no longer have first time buyer status yourself.

I'm in that exact same position too, it's annoying but there's nothing you can do really.

o1s1n wrote: »
    If you get married to someone who has used up their first time buyer status then you no longer have first time buyer status yourself.

I'm in that exact same position too, it's annoying but there's nothing you can do really.

Never knew this thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

o1s1n wrote: »

You can't claim first time status but you can claim TRS.

This is very similar to what happened to me when I got married. I bought the house before I met my wife and she never lived there, when we realised that we couldn't buy as a first time buyer, she was able to use her TRS allowance - this was 8 or so years ago so I'm not sure if this is still valid.

Well she's not.

Thanks for clearing that up 🙄

• Advertisement

Thanks for clearing that up ��
    It happened to me. What a pain in the arse. Seemed very unfair at the time.

Advertisement