Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019-20 UEFA Champions League- SEE Mod Note in OP 15/08/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It was empty before the game ended.

More like a Forest then a Fortress

When it was clear that Liverpool were beat but there were plenty there at the final whistle.

Seen Old Trafford empty out rapidly plenty of times and City's ground is often empty before kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

ERG89 wrote: »
    City will be delighted with that result. Themselves & PSG should see this year as a right year to have a go. Liverpool are out now, Juve, Barca & Real arent particularly strong & they have nothing else to focus on. That's whenever this resumes after next week's games mainly behind closed doors.

Can see a German name on that trophy this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

murpho999 wrote: »
    Do you think AM would have scored like they did tonight with Allisson in goal?

It’s quite possible. Even the greatest make mistakes like miss-place passes or handle outside the area and get sent off for example.

Phil Jones

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Should cancel it now that players in the comp have corona virus :pac:

That's nuts about Rugani. They played Inter 3 days ago & now will be in isolation for 2 weeks. I dont know what the plan for the Lyon game was but it's in flames now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

These ties are played over two legs. Allison played in the first when Liverpool also lost and had zero shots on target.

Pointing out that Atleti were ultra defensive tonight as a slight on them when they scored 3 and in the overall context really isn’t a good look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

sligeach wrote: »
    At least they have a Champions League match to leave. Enjoy your mickey mouse cup match against Accrington Stanley tomorrow in an empty stadium.

Ouch, those Lemons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    They probably are though. Anything can happen in a ko competition and they were missing their no1 keeper tonight.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Simeone is worth every penny of his contract.

Kudos to him, and a team that fight like dogs. Liverpool shot itself in the foot, but Atletico were a credit with how they stuck in it with a world class goalie behind them.

There wasn't even the play acting we'd be used to from them really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

AdrianII wrote: »
    If you believe that then you are as bitter as souness or you know jack sh1t about football.

They were by far the better team, but couldn't take the chances. Athletico got 2 goals that should have been saved, 1st one really demoralised pool and was effectively game over.

I'd advise you go read a book or educate yourself some other way.

Athletico played exactly as expected both legs. They won both legs. Yet Souness wants to say somehow Liverpool were robbed? The better team won.
    Certainly not the prettiest team or not the most attacking team, but there is a pragmatism to football sometimes that you don't seem to understand. I would suggest reading a few books.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

ERG89 wrote: »
    That's nuts about Rugani. They played Inter 3 days ago & now will be in isolation for 2 weeks. I dont know what the plan for the Lyon game was but it's in flames now.

It`s due to be played behind closed doors next week but it probably won`t go ahead now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

At big clubs you should have quaility back ups, and the back up for your back up also. United have DeGea, Romero and Henderson. Not having a proper back up is on Klopp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

when the going got tough liverpool took to diving and whining.

Strange really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It`s due to be played behind closed doors next week but it probably won`t go ahead now.

Just had an image of 22 players playing about in hazmat suits :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Enjoy your little moment. It's not like there is likely to be a Champions League winner this season as things develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Enjoy your little moment. It's not like there is likely to be a Champions League winner this season as things develop.
    Rough translation
    *We’re happy we’re out of it any way*

Class post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Where did they get battered off the pitch? I missed that.

Shots 34-10
    Shots on target 11-6
    Just in the stats really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Touche

Likely there wont be a PL winner either the way things are going.

• Advertisement

jacool wrote: »
    Shots 34-10
    Shots on target 11-6
    Just in the stats really.

What was the final score?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

That was a really good game of football. Liverpool were excellent and should have won it in 90mins. Incredible amount of chances.

I think Oblak is up there with Alisson as the best around. Was very impressed with him.

Encouraging performance from Liverpool too. And WHAT an atmosphere at Anfield!

Could be one of the last times we see a packed crowd there for quite some time and my word the fans brought it.

What was the final score?
    After 90 minutes 1-0
    After 120 minutes 2-3

My post was answering the question about where AM got battered.

8-10 wrote: »
    That was a really good game of football. Liverpool were excellent and should have won it in 90mins. Incredible amount of chances.

I think Oblak is up there with Alisson as the best around. Was very impressed with him.

Could be one of the last times we see a packed crowd there for quite some time and my word the fans brought it.

Allison just pips Oblak for me due to his distribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

thought oblak was fairly dodgy under the high ball, great shot stopper though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Remember those people who said that AM would be destroyed in Anfield....

Where are they now?

jacool wrote: »
    After 90 minutes 1-0
    After 120 minutes 2-3

My post was answering the question about where AM got battered.

First time ever there's been 4 goals in ET in Europe.

As soon as it went to ET I was thinking about the Liverpool v Atletico game in 2010 and wasn't it similar?

In 2010 Atletico won the first leg 1-0 - same as 2020

In the second leg in 2010, Liverpool went ahead in the 44th min, was the 43rd min tonight. 1-0 at half time

Game in 2010 ended 1-0 to Liverpool, same as 2020

In 2010, Liverpool come out of the blocks in Extra Time and go 2-0 up after 95mins, tonight same thing and 2-0 up after 94mins

In 2010 Atletico score later in the first period of extra time and it effectively kills off the tie with Liverpool scrambling to create chances but falling short due to tired legs.

Very similar tonight, obviously they got 2 insurance goals but in general it really felt like the same game again 10 years on....

Quazzie wrote: »

Where are they now?
    They were battered apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Can't buy into the idea that it was a Simeone tactical masterclass tonight. They rode their luck and it was an Oblak masterclass. The first leg was different IMO where Atletico did have a tactical masterclass.

Klopp set up Liverpool brilliantly and the overloads on both wings worked, especially down the right. Trent, Ox & Salah had the run of the game down that wing for the majority of the game. To a lesser extent, Gini on the left with his late runs to the box and using Robertson/Mane on the left with him. Created chance after chance after chance. Did everything but score. Klopp can't change Oblak being so good!

Little bit of luck changes like hitting the bar or Oblak doesn't save and it's 2-0 before 90, not just after it. The goalkeeping mistake from Adrian completely changed the games and momentum swing is massive. Gave the advantage back to Atletico. That's football.

• Advertisement

Where are they now?

I thought Liverpool were much the better team. But I don't know who said they'd be destroyed. Liverpool should have won it in 90mins. AM finished well after going behind and got the win but overall I think both these teams are a class above some of the other teams in the tournament. It had a heavyweight fight feel to it.

Mané should probably stop attempting overhead kicks though!

Mané should probably stop attempting overhead kicks though!
    This!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

the softest goal in the tie was the goal in Madrid with Alisson in goal.

There was so much nonsense about how it would be different in Anfield and Madrid wouldn't know what hit them. They are the last club you want to overturn a deficit. Partey and Koke were again superb and they were excellent in the first leg.

Liverpool played well for about 96 minutes of the 210 in the tie, that's not on the keeper..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Wasn't the famous Anfield atmosphere supposed to make Atletico crack tonight...

Didn't Klopp speak about how it would affect them on the night

Didn't Liverpool keep saying it was only half time after the first leg

Didn't there fans say we came back from 3-0 down v Barcelona last year, we can surely come back from 1-0 down v Atletico

I seem to remember posting saying this was all a myth and it wouldn't work against a Diego Simeone managed side

What was the result lads???

But hey "We go again...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

dfx- wrote: »
    the softest goal in the tie was the goal in Madrid with Alisson in goal.

There was so much nonsense about how it would be different in Anfield and Madrid wouldn't know what hit them. They are the last club you want to overturn a deficit. Partey and Koke were again superb and they were excellent in the first leg.

Liverpool played well for about 96 minutes of the 210 in the tie, that's not on the keeper..

Atletico rode their luck.
    They couldn't retain the ball for large periods of the match and gave it away cheaply.
    It was wave after wave of Liverpool attacks.

Liverpool lacked composure in the final third as they have for the last few months .
    They have been off the boil for a number of months in a poor Premier league ,doing enough to win most matches.
    If they had been clinical ,the match would have been over after 80 minutes.

They werent though and Atletico clinically took the few chances they had.

Liverpool seem to be suffering the same issue the great Barcelona team used to in Feb/March ,due to the high intensity /pressure game.
    It takes a huge toll on the team and fatigue creeps in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

brinty wrote: »
    Wasn't the famous Anfield atmosphere supposed to make Atletico crack tonight...

Didn't Klopp speak about how it would affect them on the night

Didn't Liverpool keep saying it was only half time after the first leg

Didn't there fans say we came back from 3-0 down v Barcelona last year, we can surely come back from 1-0 down v Atletico

I seem to remember posting saying this was all a myth and it wouldn't work against a Diego Simeone managed side

What was the result lads???

But hey "We go again...."

You'd have to laugh at this childish ****e coming from what I can only presume is a fully grown man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Atletico had a 2-0 lead going into their last 16 match with Juve last year, and got knocked out. Who was managing them then?

They were very effective last night and the match went exactly as they'd hoped. But Liverpool had more than enough chances to win the game, and Adrian had an absolute howler to get Atletico back into it in extra time.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Can't buy into the idea that it was a Simeone tactical masterclass tonight. They rode their luck and it was an Oblak masterclass. The first leg was different IMO where Atletico did have a tactical masterclass.

Klopp set up Liverpool brilliantly and the overloads on both wings worked, especially down the right. Trent, Ox & Salah had the run of the game down that wing for the majority of the game. To a lesser extent, Gini on the left with his late runs to the box and using Robertson/Mane on the left with him. Created chance after chance after chance. Did everything but score. Klopp can't change Oblak being so good!

Little bit of luck changes like hitting the bar or Oblak doesn't save and it's 2-0 before 90, not just after it. The goalkeeping mistake from Adrian completely changed the games and momentum swing is massive. Gave the advantage back to Atletico. That's football.

by the same token AM had a gilt edged opportunity at the start only for an excellent save from adrian. Who knows how the game would have panned out then?

by the same token AM had a gilt edged opportunity at the start only for an excellent save from adrian. Who knows how the game would have panned out then?

No they didn't, that Costa shot went wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

noodler wrote:
    You'd have to laugh at this childish ****e coming from what I can only presume is a fully grown man.

Wanna slip into my DM's ;)

FitzShane wrote: »
    No they didn't, that Costa shot went wide.

bad memory. but it was a one on one right? if their luck was in as many are suggesting that should have hit the target, plus the bad luck for the disallowed goal.

• Advertisement

bad memory. but it was a one on one right? if their luck was in as many are suggesting that should have hit the target, plus the bad luck for the disallowed goal.

Bad luck for the disallowed goal? You mean the one where the goalscorer was a few yards offside? Oh Christ. Sure if we are that, why don't we count the Liverpool goal scored in the first leg while we're at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

So, no chance of penalties? Been waiting ages here.

Admittedly, I only saw the game out of the corner of my eye this evening but glimpses I did see in normal time - penalties never seemed on the cards,

I saw quite a few guilt eggs'd Liverpool chances and thought it was just a matter of time, but Athletic held on for the duration.

Saw precious little of extra time bar replays of goals after the fact. Attention was elsewhere.

Such is football. Wasn't too be. Thankfulllllllleeeeeee.

What about the empty seats after the first Athletico goal? I wasn't even watching but I felt the chill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Someone do the salty giphy giffy thing.

We're still champions!

Liamalone wrote: »
    Someone do the salty giphy giffy thing.

We're still champions!

It's not over till the fat lady sings, and she appears to have a dry cough so there might be no song this year :D

I don't know what some posters saw in the game. Liverpool were on top throughout until the 98th minute. They failed to put away enough chances but created a lot against a supposedly doggedly defensive team. Hit the woodwork a few times and came up against a top keeper. Goalkeeping mistake swung it then got punished chasing the game.

The people are talking AM completely outclassed Liverpool and there was no atmosphere in Anfield last night...eh...what?

I don't know what some posters saw in the game. Liverpool were on top throughout until the 98th minute. They failed to put away enough chances but created a lot against a supposedly doggedly defensive team. Hit the woodwork a few times and came up against a top keeper. Goalkeeping mistake swung it then got punished chasing the game.

The people are talking AM completely outclassed Liverpool and there was no atmosphere in Anfield last night...eh...what?

Firmino got extremely lucky that his poor shot came back off the post and straight back to him. Without that massive bit of luck liverpool would've never went ahead in the tie at all.

AM were resilient, organised, determined and focused. They deserved their win.

Firmino got extremely lucky that his poor shot came back off the post and straight back to him. Without that massive bit of luck liverpool would've never went ahead in the tie at all.

Oblak was MOTM! You're making it out like Liverpool created nothing, got stifled and then a lucky bounce gifted a goal.

Adrian gifted them a goal, Saul scored a point blank shot after a fluke deflection in the first leg.

Their keeper kept them in it. They deserved their win but this narrative that Liverpool were lucky to be ahead is a bit mad unless you didn't watch the game.

Hopefully it will humble the 2 full Backs at liverpool who thought they were Roberto Carlos, Franz Bechenbauer, Paolo Maldini, Franco Baresi, Bobby Moore, Marcel Desailly plus much more rolled into 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Sourness from Owen was spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

AM were resilient, organised, determined and focused. They deserved their win.
    As opposed to AM getting lucky with Adrian? Or Robbo's header off the cross bar? Or the numerous chances Liverpool had?

And you know that if that chance didn't go in, Liverpool would never have gone ahead in the tie with 26mins to go in ET?

• Advertisement
Advertisement