Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019-20 UEFA Champions League- SEE Mod Note in OP 15/08/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not sure if he's even the best German keeper these days,
    One game doesn't put you at bestin the world

Hardly one game. You think Ter Stegen is ahead of him after the 8-2 result?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'd say PSG's owner wanted to kick the crutches from in under Tuchel there.

Not looking forward to Rummenigge and co. who skulk around Bayern no doubt making me pity PSG the next few days as they run their mouths like they often do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Sexy Neymar tears :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Neymar doing a good job of turning the presentation into ‘The Neymar Show’

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

& Neymar STILL crying.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Agreed. Much better that Adidas and the other multi billionaire ownes of Bayern winning it.

75% of the shares are held by the club (ie fan owned). Adidas, Audi and Allianz own 25% of the club between them. But yeah, multi billionaire owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Always great to see Neymar in tears after losing, He is just so unlikable for the talent he has.

The only trophy Brazil won during his time was when he wasn't in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Dont really understand it myself tbh. All clubs who want to win the CLare backed by money. They buy it really. Bayern are no different.

All professional clubs in world football are backed by money...not all are effectively state owned though

Not sure if you can tell the difference

Karius

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

eigrod wrote: »
    For all the money parachuted in to City, PSG and others, it’s still been the traditional winners, Real, Barca, Bayern & Liverpool over the last 8 seasons.

Yes, paupers one and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

You'd swear the likes of Real, Barca and Liverpool are plucky underdogs who don't spend money the way some go on about taken over teams. Some act as if their clubs are owned by a charity sect of nuns :P

Garzorico wrote: »
    Yes, paupers one and all.

I think the point is those teams have been winning multiple titles over 50 years and are still the teams winning today no matter how much money people outspend them buy to compete.

PSG and Man City not winning this competition is a good thing for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

8-10 wrote: »
    All professional clubs in world football are backed by money...not all are effectively state owned though

Not sure if you can tell the difference

LOL. Money is money and success is bought. Where the money comes from has no relevance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭crushproof

Muller would be some craic on a night out I'd say.

Corholio wrote: »
    You'd swear the likes of Real, Barca and Liverpool are plucky underdogs who don't spend money the way some go on about taken over teams. Some act as if their clubs are owned by a charity sect of nuns :P

Those clubs you mentioned made their money by building their clubs over decades to become what they are today. If you can't see they difference between them and the likes of PSG and City then there's something wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

You really cant see the difference?
    Escobar owned a football club. Do you just see that as “money”?
    Are people so blind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Disappointing final . Bayern did a job on them in midfield and PSG‘S front 3 didn’t turn up in the 2nd half. Neuers saves were more PSG misses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

LOL. Money is money and success is bought. Where the money comes from has no relevance.

Not true.

My point is that trying to use money as a shortcut to success isn't making it a level playing field.

Maybe City or PSG will win it next year but this time around you have to hand it to the club who are fan owned and have been winning this competition for decades even when there was a miniscule fraction of the money in their team.

The oil teams lost.

• Advertisement

Mbappe choked big time as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

PSG players want to see their names in lights not the teams that is the difference the Munich players play for the team.

Don't agree with that. Their work effort was equal to Bayern

Those clubs you mentioned made their money by building their clubs over decades to become what they are today. If you can't see they difference between them and the likes of PSG and City then there's something wrong.

Rubbish - money is money no matter how it arrives in the coffers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Always great to see Neymar in tears after losing, He is just so unlikable for the talent he has.

The only trophy Brazil won during his time was when he wasn't in the squad.

He scored the crucial spot kick to help Brazil win Olympic Gold against Germany.

Weird to suggest Brazil are somehow better off without him when he is only 5 goals behind Ronaldo in their all-time scoring charts, and 20 behind Pele. And he's still 28 years old.

And the team who spent less, won

Well I'd prefer it not to arrive in the coffers from national wealth funds of states with very very dodgy human rights records.

But that's just me.

• Advertisement

Mbappe choked big time as well.

At 21 maybe too much is being put on his shoulders. His time will come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I do think Ter Stegen is a better keeper these days regardless of the 8-2

My point is that trying to use money as a shortcut to success isn't making it a level playing field.

Maybe City or PSG will win it next year but this time around you have to hand it to the club who are fan owned and have been winning this competition for decades even when there was a miniscule fraction of the money in their team.

The oil teams lost.

In fairness competitions are won with good players/teams/managers/luck (Chelsea 2012, Porto 04,Liverpool 05 etc etc) regardless of the money spent.

greendom wrote: »
    At 21 maybe too much is being put on his shoulders. His time will come

No doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Well I'd prefer it not to arrive in the coffers from national wealth funds of states with very very dodgy human rights records.

But that's just me.
    If you don’t have a moral compass, then money is just “money”. You can’t educate those who want to remain ignorant.

• Advertisement

Are Real's and Barca's money 'clean' do you think? Cos I'm guessing thats what its about, otherwise what is it? Clubs are taken over all the time and new owners come in, it's happened to Liverpool, Utd, Chelsea etc. I understand the whole 'Saudi/Qatar' resistance of course, but there's specifically nothing wrong with clubs been taken over and being successful. The clubs you say have been 'built' have been built with money anyway too, it's not from some magical element. Look deep enough in any huge business and see how morals kick in then.

Top clubs do everything they can to not let anyone else in and it's ridiculous, a lot of those teams who have bern 'built' just got there first before all these regulations were closed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

PSG andCe,feesftRoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

PSG andCe,feesftRoy

Couldn't agree more.

But that's just me.

Is it cold up on your high horse? You just watched one of those teams on the box tonight which in turn means you have contributed (directly or indirectly) to their wealth. And it’s not just you there’s billions of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

It's bad enough PSG didn't get a penalty for the blatant foul on Mbappe but the fact that VAR didn't even look at it is beyond a joke!

I think the point is those teams have been winning multiple titles over 50 years and are still the teams winning today no matter how much money people outspend them buy to compete.

PSG and Man City not winning this competition is a good thing for me.
    Do they outspend them though? Barca and Real Madrid's spend + wage bill can't be mech different to that of PSG or City over the last 10 years.

Bayern Munich is different. They seemed to have developed a system where all the best Bundesliga players end up there, generally without paying too much for them. Good system, it certainly works for them.

It's bad enough PSG didn't get a penalty for the blatant foul on Mbappe but the fact that VAR didn't even look at it is beyond a joke!

Same with the Munich penalty a blatant one as well.

So at least the ref and VAR were consistent.

And the team who spent less, won

So what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Is it cold up on your high horse? You just watched one of those teams on the box tonight which in turn means you have contributed (directly or indirectly) to their wealth. And it’s not just you there’s billions of us.

That's not correct, from watching Virgín media you have not put money into PSG pocket?
    How do you make that out?

Are Real's and Barca's money 'clean' do you think? Cos I'm guessing thats what its about, otherwise what is it? Clubs are taken over all the time and new owners come in, it's happened to Liverpool, Utd, Chelsea etc. I understand the whole 'Saudi/Qatar' resistance of course, but there's specifically nothing wrong with clubs been taken over and being successful. The clubs you say have been 'built' have been built with money anyway too, it's not from some magical element. Look deep enough in any huge business and see how morals kick in then.

Top clubs do everything they can to not let anyone else in and it's ridiculous, a lot of those teams who have bern 'built' just got there first before all these regulations were closed off.

Real and Barca are 100% fan owned clubs. They cannot be sold to private investors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

But Liverpool had to bring in a rich yank, owner to rebuild thier club. City have been rebuilding thier club for a little bit longer but were massive in the 60's.
    The point is moot anyway because Irish Eng PL soccer fans pick a team who was winning when they were 10yo. Nothing to with heritage, tradition kids like success. Can normally guess the age of an Irish Eng PL supporter by the team they support.

Also the people who give out about Qatar/Human Rights and so on. Do such people giving out think about it how/when thier smartphone or runners are made in China?
    Pure hypocrisy imo. Where and how are football shirts made etc?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

If you think they spend 222 MILLION in a single transfer because of TV money I don't know what to say to you.

To say PSG are basically the same as any other top club is ignoring the realities of how clubs are really financed.

Just because loads of the top clubs have healthy commercial operations and are well backed doesn't mean that they're on a level playing field financially with the oil clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Same with the Munich penalty a blatant one as well.

So at least the ref and VAR were consistent.

Not a hope was that clearcut and it was no penalty in my eyes!

But each to their own!

greendom wrote: »
    Do they outspend them though? Barca and Real Madrid's spend + wage bill can't be mech different to that of PSG or City over the last 10 years.

Bayern Munich is different. They seemed to have developed a system where all the best Bundesliga players end up there, generally without paying too much for them. Good system, it certainly works for them.

Do they not hoover up all the talent in the bundesliga every year as they can outspend every other bundesliga team? It’s all relative. Granted they do need to turn them into a good team but hardly some sort of magical system.

Real and Barca are 100% fan owned clubs. They cannot be sold to private investors.

I didn't mention that at all about those, specifically so if you noticed. I asked if the money is 'clean'? All the directors there are tip, top human beings?

I thought Canadian's only played Hockey.

That's not correct, from watching Virgín media you have not put money into PSG pocket?
    How do you make that out?

Where do you think the prize money comes from? TV money. Virgin media doesn’t get to broadcast it for free - they pay for the rights. Do you close your eyes when the ads/interviews come on? I bet you can name 5 brands that sponsor the CL. We all can.

I didn't mention that at all about those, specifically so if you noticed. I asked if the money is 'clean'? All the directors there are tip, top human beings?

Exactly, people only want to see what they want to see. Real were Franco's club historically for example, and the Spanish state helped them buy Di Stefano. Which kicked off the whole club.

I thought Canadian's only played Hockey.

His Canadian girlfriend is playing in the women's CL semi final tomorrow for PSG.

• Advertisement

If you think they spend 222 MILLION in a single transfer because of TV money I don't know what to say to you.

To say PSG are basically the same as any other top club is ignoring the realities of how clubs are really financed.

Just because loads of the top clubs have healthy commercial operations and are well backed doesn't mean that they're on a level playing field financially with the oil clubs.

I dare say no club has healthy commercial operations. I’d say they are all up to their eyeballs in debt. All of em.

Advertisement