Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019-20 UEFA Champions League- SEE Mod Note in OP 15/08/20

1737475767779»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Corholio wrote: »
    I didn't mention that at all about those, specifically so if you noticed. I asked if the money is 'clean'? All the directors there are tip, top human beings?

Calling state-sponsored oil clubs out and not wanting them to succeed doesn't mean absolving other clubs from criticism with dodgy deals, shady tax practices and creative accounting.

But some of us can see the differences, others can't.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Garzorico wrote: »
    Do they not hoover up all the talent in the bundesliga every year as they can outspend every other bundesliga team? It’s all relative. Granted they do need to turn them into a good team but hardly some sort of magical system.

Mainly they get starlets to run down their contracts and pick them up on free transfers. They also promote from the academy. Their record signing from the BL is around €35m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

8-10 wrote: »
    If you think they spend 222 MILLION in a single transfer because of TV money I don't know what to say to you.

To say PSG are basically the same as any other top club is ignoring the realities of how clubs are really financed.

Just because loads of the top clubs have healthy commercial operations and are well backed doesn't mean that they're on a level playing field financially with the oil clubs.
    Where do you think the prize money comes from? TV money. Virgin media doesn’t get to broadcast it for free - they pay for the rights. Do you close your eyes when the ads/interviews come on? I bet you can name 5 brands that sponsor the CL. We all can.

I streamed it :cool:

The TV rights are pre paid before the ball is kicked
    So weather you watched it or not tonight there getring the same money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Exactly, people only want to see what they want to see. Real were Franco's club historically for example and the Spanish state helped them buy Di Steffano. Which kicked off the whole club.

I'm not doubting the dark morals of clubs being owned by Saudi's etc, wouldn't wish any clubs to win when held by those. But the halo waving by some clubs fans is a little hilarious as if their club is the bastion of morality in all aspects.

• Advertisement

Calling state-sponsored oil clubs out and not wanting them to succeed doesn't mean absolving other clubs from criticism with dodgy deals, shady tax practices and creative accounting.

But some of us can see the differences, others can't.

Who are the others that can't? You're arguing a different thing than what I am talking about. Is it ok for some clubs to win then because they are 'less evil'?

Virgin Media just did a segment on Thiago

He had a really good game I though and has been excellent in the latter stages of the competition.

Sounds like Bayern are letting him go with a year still left on his contract.

If a team like Liverpool or Man City can sign him it would be a huge signing I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Good to see Bayern win. Thet are the best side in Europe so deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Do they not hoover up all the talent in the bundesliga every year as they can outspend every other bundesliga team? It’s all relative. Granted they do need to turn them into a good team but hardly some sort of magical system.
    I was being a tad sarcastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Roberto Martinez on CBS thinks Neymar and Mbappe will leave PSG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Who can afford them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ronaldo has scored the most goals against Manuel Neuer, yet never played in the Bundesliga.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

PSG won't sell them for less than they paid so it'll take both of them running down their contracts to actually get out.

Corholio wrote: »
    Who are the others that can't? You're arguing a different thing than what I am talking about. Is it ok for some clubs to win then because they are 'less evil'?

I had no desire at the start of the season to see Bayern win, I dislike them in general within Germany and there's a bunch of teams I'd prefer to win the Bundesliga than them.

But given what PSG have done to get where they are, where their funding has come from and particularly the 222m transfer they paid which is still comfortably a record, I'm very glad that they didn't win. Yes I think it's a lot more OK for Bayern to win, a PSG win legitimises their model which could encourage more oil money coming into the European leagues which I think is a bad thing.

And yes, I accept that this is a lesser of 2 evils situation - in a 2 horse race like tonight why wouldn't you want the less evil team to win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

And yes, I accept that this is a lesser of 2 evils situation - in a 2 horse race like tonight why wouldn't you want the less evil team to win?

Personally just want the the team that plays better football to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I had no desire at the start of the season to see Bayern win, I dislike them in general within Germany and there's a bunch of teams I'd prefer to win the Bundesliga than them.

But given what PSG have done to get where they are, where their funding has come from and particularly the 222m transfer they paid which is still comfortably a record, I'm very glad that they didn't win. Yes I think it's a lot more OK for Bayern to win, a PSG win legitimises their model which could encourage more oil money coming into the European leagues which I think is a bad thing.

Yes, but my initial point was about fans championing their teams above their realistic and actual moral station. I already mentioned that the Saudi links are very dark and certainly wouldn't want that to come to a successful result. It's not the criticising of this was my point, it was the 'we're not oil baron owned teams, so we're ok' type stuff that gets mentioned.

I don't think winning or losing would affect oil money coming in if they really wanted though unfortunately. Many, many clubs across Europe fluctuate in success terms and are ripe for takeover at any given point in a season.

Well I'd prefer it not to arrive in the coffers from national wealth funds of states with very very dodgy human rights records.

But that's just me.

Ummmmmm.

You can say anything about players or owners but you can't talk about Human Rights records...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114286788&postcount=4393

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

greendom wrote: »
    I was being a tad sarcastic.

So was I....ahem. 👀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The lad that used to manage Everton?

The two most expensive players ever leaving in the very summer that no clubs have enough money to buy either of them???

Personally just want the the team that plays better football to win

Yeah I'm sure you were delighted Spurs lost last year's final because they played the worse brand.

We all have a bias unless we know nothing about the teams involved

Yeah I'm sure you were delighted Spurs lost last year's final because they played the worse brand.

You weren't talking about that game. My point was in referencing to the game you were talking about...

You weren't talking about that game. My point was in referencing to the game you were talking about...

My apologies, I thought you meant in general that's your policy.

Yep loads of people I'm sure didn't care who won tonight. Really I'm just glad Lyon didn't win out of the semi finalists so this was just a bonus.

But I can't hide that I'm not happy that PSG lost. Even in footballing terms I've seen both PSG and Bayern play live in the past 2 seasons and I really didn't like PSG's style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

ERG89 wrote: »
    The lad that used to manage Everton?

The two most expensive players ever leaving in the very summer that no clubs have enough money to buy either of them???

The manager of the number 1 ranked national team in the world.

My apologies, I thought you meant in general that's your policy.

Generally it is, excluding Liverpool but I would always say who I think played better football deserving the win i.e Spurs V Liverpool last year.

When it comes to the extra stuff in football I don't look much into it and have limited knowledge on it to discuss in detail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Thought it was a largely poor final, especially up until the 65ish minute. There was a lot of pre match hype and it failed to deliver. Not that Bayern will care any bit as their name is on the trophy and they are celebrating now. They had a terrific return to play after COVID.

Just like last year, beating Barca in the semi final was the standout win and game for the winners. Semi final for entertainment and final for winning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Fitz* wrote: »
    to play after COVID.

Just like last year, beating Barca in the semi final was the standout win and game for the winners. Semi final for entertainment and final for winning!

Quarter final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Fitz* wrote: »
    Thought it was a largely poor final, especially up until the 65ish minute. There was a lot of pre match hype and it failed to deliver. Not that Bayern will care any bit as their name is on the trophy and they are celebrating now. They had a terrific return to play after COVID.

I thought the first half was excellent. The first 20 minutes of the second half were very poor and then Bayern managed to find a goal. PSG got even worse after that and Bayern weren't much better but they didn't need to be.

Overall disappointing especially considering how promising the first half had been. Bayern deserved winners though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

You really cant see the difference?
    Escobar owned a football club. Do you just see that as “money”?
    Are people so blind?

He didn't actually. He just illegally laundered money through the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

He didn't actually. He just illegally laundered money through the club.
    Publicly no, but you trying telling the Medellin Cartel that back then! He called the shots.

Advertisement