Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stress at work

Options
  • 10-06-2019 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

So basically I’m in a bit of a tough situation at work to say the least. I’ve been working with this company since December of last year.
    The company is metal fabrication company and is very fast paced and target driven to deliver high quality in as little time as possible.
    I’m very young and managed to get a job there. Before I got the job offer, I explained to them that I would like to learn and that I would not be confident enough to work on my own. They said they are looking for someone young to teach.
    Everything was fine for the first 3 months but now it’s gotten to the stage where I feel sick going into work.
    I’m being given work that I am not qualified to do, work that is way beyond my skill level. The 2 other guys that work with me are busy themselves and told me they don’t have time to show me or teach me anything. So basically I have to do the work of a qualified tradesman and figure things out on my own. There are days every week when I’m left on my own in the workshop with a big lot of drawings to make which I’m not able to do on my own.
    I take much longer to make things because of lack of experience and that is stressing me out so much, that I’ve just become miserable and lost motivation to do anything.
    I’ve spoken to my supervisor, but he said he can’t help me because he’s too busy himself to teach me(he’s the main Fabricator on the workshop floor)
    I just don’t know how best to cope with this situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

So you say it’s taking you longer.

Has anyone complained to you about that ??
    Maybe they are happy with your performance??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Well your there over 3 months so you must be doing something right. Just show your interested and ask questions about everything. Give it more time and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A baptism of fire its sink or swim

But what I will tell you is that the things that you are learning now under pressure will stand to you in years to come

Stick it out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

OK. You're actually in a good situation.

Hear me out.

All the pressure is coming from you.

Literally no one is giving out to you or complaining.

You've told your colleagues and supervisor you need help, but they obviously think you're doing grand otherwise they would have made the time to help you.

So, slow down, do things at a pace you can manage, and if your boss complains just reiterate you are junior and need assistance if he wants you to speed up.

You are OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Going through something similar in work myself OP.
    Even though it feels horrible right now I know it will get better ...I have been here before. Worth sticking it out.
    Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kamiljkamil

Thanks for the replies lads. It’s true they don’t really complain apart from time to time telling me how important it is to make progress in regards to speed and quality.
    I’m not a qualified tradesman, so I’m learning everything from scratch.
    It’s just when I watch the other 2 guys that are there, they make things in half the time, even quicker.
    And that’s what puts me under pressure, I feel like they should have given the job to someone more experienced, rather than myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I think you need to accept they are fairly happy with you.

I also think you need to accept you're junior, so of course you won't be as quick as your experienced colleagues!

Sounds like you need to take a deep breath and take some of that pressure off yourself...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Odelay

Take five minutes to talk to the manager/owner. Tell them you’re trying your best, would like to be able to perform like the others but need more time and help to build up skills and speed. Most of that will come with time.

Lads working in steel are very valuable, they won’t be firing you unless you’re making a lot of mistakes or missing days. If you’re getting the job done, maybe slower than others, you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kamiljkamil

Yeah I suppose I might be putting a bit of pressure unnecessarily, but as you can probably imagine, it’s a tough industry to be in and huge mistakes aren’t welcome.
    I’m not making very bad mistakes, but I do make minor ones from time to time, due to poor judgement or inexperience.
    My supervisor who is also the main Fabricator, he’s been there over 30 years, expects a lot and everytime I ask him a question, no matter what it is, he looks at me for a few seconds with the face expression “ why are you asking such a stupid question, you should know this” .
    That makes me feel totally unqualified for the job.
    But I really appreciate the replies. It will just take time to get better .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Yeah I suppose I might be putting a bit of pressure unnecessarily, but as you can probably imagine, it’s a tough industry to be in and huge mistakes aren’t welcome.
    I’m not making very bad mistakes, but I do make minor ones from time to time, due to poor judgement or inexperience.
    My supervisor who is also the main Fabricator, he’s been there over 30 years, expects a lot and everytime I ask him a question, no matter what it is, he looks at me for a few seconds with the face expression “ why are you asking such a stupid question, you should know this” .
    That makes me feel totally unqualified for the job.
    But I really appreciate the replies. It will just take time to get better .

It's not an ideal situation, you're working in an under resourced team, and the lads that are supposed to be mentoring you are under huge time pressure themselves, more than you are or know i'd say. Nothing is likely to change or improve there either. They are stressed out as well, so they are going to snap back at any interruption.

As the others have said, no one is hard on your back, which is at least something and a recognition that the resources are inadequate. Therefore do as suggested and work at a more sustainable pace, as you said small mistakes are not the worst, but you must avoid a big costly mistake at all costs.

Also above all else, in this type of environment, ensure your own health and safety at all time, don't take a single health and safety changes EVER, or listen to anyone that tells you to do so. Nothing is worth an injury of any type.

Keep working away on this job for now, but long term, you need to be having a good look around for a better employer in a similar business, be prepared to move location if you have to, you obviously have an aptitude and skill for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement