Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deauville question.

Options
  • 10-06-2019 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Just noticed today that when I open the throttle to push on that the rev counter shoots up and theres a roar from the bike, kinda like when you rev the bike when in neutral. Any ideas what this may be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

Sounds like your clutch is slipping

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

honda boi wrote: »
    Sounds like your clutch is slipping

Any idea if that's a big problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It could be slipping from wear or from improper adjustment.
    On the clutch lever there will be a barrel adjuster where the cable meets the lever, loosen this and wind it in a few turns so the lever has about 1cm of slack at the end back and forth before the cable starts to tighten.
    Lock it back up and see if it is any better, as the clutch warms up the plates expand and reduce the free play in the cable, too tight and the clutch will slip.

If its only plates that are worn then its not that big a job to replace them but these bikes have a slightly unusual clutch setup which needs to be assembled correctly with a half width plate in the clutch which they call a judder spring.
    http://robdavistelford.co.uk/webspace/deauville/service-manuals/650-parts-list.pdf

http://robdavistelford.co.uk/webspace/deauville/clutch-area-inside/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

CJ has it covered there for you, should be ok with the cable adjusted but could be on the way out. Make sure the cable routing is clear and that it's not snagged on anything.

Cheers folks, will give it a go and see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

cococoady wrote: »
    Just noticed today that when I open the throttle to push on that the rev counter shoots up and theres a roar from the bike, kinda like when you rev the bike when in neutral. Any ideas what this may be?
    Did it coincide with an oil change?

I adjusted the clutch lever and that seems to have done the trick. Although the adjustment is now at the lowest point it can go so a new cable might be needed soon.

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Did it coincide with an oil change?

Yeah there was recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Wrong oil could possibly affect clutch

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I adjusted the clutch lever and that seems to have done the trick. Although the adjustment is now at the lowest point it can go so a new cable might be needed soon.

Yeah there was recently.

Did you use a specific motorcycle oil, or something else ? Std car oil doesn't work, and affects the clutch plates.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

If you are getting a new clutch cable, a good tip is to get two fitted at the one time (obviously not trying to connect BOTH!) so when the time comes for another new cable the other one is sitting there cable tied and ready to just be connected and no routing needed.

Save money instead of dropping it off at a dealer etc.

Just a taught. I have done this in the past and while it only saved me once in about 5 yrs it worked when mine snapped on a motorway and was a godsend when it did.

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Just a taught. I have done this in the past and while it only saved me once in about 5 yrs it worked when mine snapped on a motorway and was a godsend when it did.

Hi five your 5 year ago self!

galwaytt wrote: »
    Did you use a specific motorcycle oil, or something else ? Std car oil doesn't work, and affects the clutch plates.

I'm not sure as it was done by someone else. I'll see how the cable adjustment goes before looking into the oil. Thanks for all the help, appreciated

I'm not sure as it was done by someone else. I'll see how the cable adjustment goes before looking into the oil. Thanks for all the help, appreciated

Do another oil change just in case... And buy the oil yourself. Otherwise you've only got a temporary fix and no adjustment left in the cable.

zubair wrote: »
    Do another oil change just in case... And buy the oil yourself. Otherwise you've only got a temporary fix and no adjustment left in the cable.

Any idea what the correct oil would be to use? Didn't drive the bike all weekend as was away and today I noticed smoke coming out of the exhaust and the bike wasn't sounding the best, sputtering and cutting out.

From looking it up it seems that too much oil or the wrong oil can do this.

More often it's a sign of too much oil but with the clutch slipping it could well be the wrong type, did a mechanic do the oil change or a mate? Can you do the oil change yourself to give yourself piece of mind that it's done right?

I've used this on every bike I've owned and never had a problem or had clutch slip. It's suitable for your bike. Cheaper than the other brands too.

https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-oils/halfords-motorcycle-engine-oil-part-synthetic-10w-40-5ltr

More often it's a sign of too much oil but with the clutch slipping it could well be the wrong type, did a mechanic do the oil change or a mate? Can you do the oil change yourself to give yourself piece of mind that it's done right?

I've used this on every bike I've owned and never had a problem or had clutch slip. It's suitable for your bike. Cheaper than the other brands too.

https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-oils/halfords-motorcycle-engine-oil-part-synthetic-10w-40-5ltr

Wasn't a mechanic, a friend of a friend done it. Should I pick up a new filter aswell or would the new one put in recently be ok?

Wasn't a mechanic, a friend of a friend done it. Should I pick up a new filter aswell or would the new one put in recently be ok?

It should be fine. Only thing i would be worried about is the small amoumt of old oil sitting in it but it probably won't make a difference. If it was me I'd leave the filter and see if the oil change helps.

It's not a hard job to do yourself. Check YouTube, there'll be loads of guides online.

All going well in regards to clutch slipping and smoke from exhaust last few days but now I can't get the neutral light to come on, meaning I can't start the bike. Any ideas as me head is gone now haha

All going well in regards to clutch slipping and smoke from exhaust last few days but now I can't get the neutral light to come on, meaning I can't start the bike. Any ideas as me head is gone now haha

Check clutch switch and side stand switch, if either of these are bad you won’t be able to start it. Also check kill switch while you are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Check clutch switch and side stand switch, if either of these are bad you won’t be able to start it. Also check kill switch while you are there.

Neither of these would impact the neutral light though....

Are you sure you are in neutral gear. ?

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Neither of these would impact the neutral light though....

Are you sure you are in neutral gear. ?

Yeah it's in neutral, bike moves freely when I push it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yeah it's in neutral, bike moves freely when I push it.

Seems like a wiring fault then you have to check the switches on that side of the bike..might be something chaffed cut or points are dirty.

Could just be the neutral light bulb as well? The switch is easy enough to test. Don’t use any power to tighten it in again if you remove it. The thread is very fine and strips easily.

You can start it with clutch in and stand up. I'd spin it down the road after I got it going to see if it fixes itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Check the killswitch is in the correct position - not getting a neutral light when the bike is in neutral is just weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I've never heard of a bike where the neutral switch was part of the starter circuit.

If the bike stalls in traffic you need to be able to restart it straight away, not fumble around trying to find neutral.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

You can start it with clutch in and stand up. I'd spin it down the road after I got it going to see if it fixes itself.

I tried that but it won't start like that. Strange as I thought it would myself.

I've never heard of a bike where the neutral switch was part of the starter circuit.

If the bike stalls in traffic you need to be able to restart it straight away, not fumble around trying to find neutral.

I thought the same myself tbh. Strange one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Check the kill switch. Check the fuses. Check the ignition is coming on (other lights coming on).

If the neutral switch/wiring/bulb circuit is out, it won't start unless the side stand is up and the clutch lever is pulled in.

48111468118_ecde35b32b_c.jpg
    Screenshot_20190623_031647 by macplaxton, on Flickr

When you put the ignition on do your hear the fuel pump operating for a second or two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

macplaxton wrote: »
    Check the kill switch. Check the fuses. Check the ignition is coming on (other lights coming on).

If the neutral switch/wiring/bulb circuit is out, it won't start unless the side stand is up and the clutch lever is pulled in.

48111468118_ecde35b32b_c.jpg
    Screenshot_20190623_031647 by macplaxton, on Flickr

When you put the ignition on do your hear the fuel pump operating for a second or two?

Silly thing maybe, but: is the battery flat.....?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement