Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Showers

Options
  • 11-06-2019 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hello,

There are two older threads on this, but from a few years ago, and are a little more technical than I need.

We have bought a new build and are in the process of looking at showers. The builder advised which types (Triton T90 and Mira Elite, as examples). I was chatting to my Dad about this and he immediately said that we couldn't use two electric showers, as it is a safety concern.

I did some Googling, and it seems there is a way around this, but rather than go to additional expense, can someone just confirm if (in general) two electric showers should be avoided. If so, what is the alternative?

I'm sorry that these are such utterly basic questions, but a) I have a terrible fear of electricity, so want to make sure we are doing everything correctly, and b) the builder didn't mention it, so I don't want to go back him without being sure.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Just as a matter of interest why are you considering two electric showers? We have a pump shower in the en-suite run mainly off the solar panels, the electric hardly gets used. Are you getting solar panels? If so it’s a no brainer to put in a power shower, the pressure is just so much better in them.

On your original question I know there is a kit to make it safe to use two showers simultaneously but no idea on cost or anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You need a priority switch installed which will ensure only one electric shower will operate and any moment in time thus ensuring you don't blow your consumer unit. It's around a foot by 10inchs wide and will be fitted next to your consumer unit (fuse box).
    Cost around €180 from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,100 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You can have as many electric showers in the house as you like
    However you can only run one at a time. You can install a priority switch and this only allows one at a time.

Personally I'd install one electric shower and one power shower. Use the power shower when you have a tank of hot water and the electric shower when you have no hot water. You can run an electric shower & a power shower at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭smurfette2212

Thanks so much for the replies!

To be totally truthful, I don’t have an answer as to why we were considering two - I think it was that because the ones he recommended were electric. I didn’t really consider other options.

Yes to solar panels, so that sounds like it makes a lot of sense - I’ll go back and ask him about that.

Thanks everyone!

If you get a pumped electric shower, stay away from the Mira Elite QT. It's a lemon

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for the replies!

To be totally truthful, I don’t have an answer as to why we were considering two - I think it was that because the ones he recommended were electric. I didn’t really consider other options.

Yes to solar panels, so that sounds like it makes a lot of sense - I’ll go back and ask him about that.

Thanks everyone!

If you are getting solar panels it would be madness to put in two electric showers as you won’t get to use the hot water.

We have a triton 2000xt pump shower for many years and it still works like new if you are looking for reliable recommendations. Presumably there are newer and better models now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

One electric and one off the solar panels is the way I’d recommend also. Talk to your plumber as if you don’t have a pump seperate to the shower you could install a Mira vigour (I did this and love it) which isn’t a noisy as a stand alone pump in a hot press if people are showering early morning or late nights

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Sleeper12 wrote:
    If you get a pumped electric shower, stay away from the Mira Elite QT. It's a lemon

Have you a history with them? I've mine in 3 years now. Flush it every 6 months.

What are the main complaints.

I've lashed through showers, the water where I am destroys them

My business is a Dublin Shower Repair company. It's all I do. 10 percent of mira elite qt showers don't work the day we install them. We have to carry spare showers knowing that some new showers won't work. Another 10 percent fail in the next 18 months. This is a 20 perc failure rate. One percent failure rate is the norm. The triton t90sr has a half percent failure rate. We've had clients going through three motors in the warranty period and being charged 200 euros for a fourth a few weeks out of warranty. The plastic is cheap and becomes brittle after a few years.

Three design flaws with the mira elite qt are the pump, cheap plastic & a rubber elbow below the pump leaks.

Worst electric shower ever to hit the market in our experience. The older mira elite 2 & st were far better quality

Edit: even though they say their clear scale technology (or whatever its called) is ideal/suitable for high limescale areas, they won't cover limescale damage to elements under the warranty.

Not so suitable for limescale areas really

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    My business is a Dublin Shower Repair company. It's all I do. 10 percent of mira elite qt showers don't work the day we install them. We have to carry spare showers knowing that some new showers won't work. Another 10 percent fail in the next 18 months. This is a 20 perc failure rate. One percent failure rate is the norm. The triton t90sr has a half percent failure rate. We've had clients going through three motors in the warranty period and being charged 200 euros for a fourth a few weeks out of warranty. The plastic is cheap and becomes brittle after a few years.

Three design flaws with the mira elite qt are the pump, cheap plastic & a rubber elbow below the pump leaks.

Worst electric shower ever to hit the market in our experience. The older mira elite 2 & st were far better quality

Edit: even though they say their clear scale technology (or whatever its called) is ideal/suitable for high limescale areas, they won't cover limescale damage to elements under the warranty.

And while we have you here , your thoughts on the T90SR ? Does the Silent running make it any less powerful ? Other than that I have no qualms with buying one I'm just worried ....typical Tim The Toolman ....more noise equals more power attitude .

• Advertisement

jonski wrote: »
    And while we have you here , your thoughts on the T90SR ? Does the Silent running make it any less powerful ? Other than that I have no qualms with buying one I'm just worried ....typical Tim The Toolman ....more noise equals more power attitude .

The silent running is because of a brushless motor. It's 9kw & has the same power as any 9KW shower. 3 to 5 litres per minute. it can pump out 10 litres of cold water so you know that the pump is powerfull

The silent running is because of a brushless motor. It's 9kw & has the same power as any 9KW shower. 3 to 5 litres per minute. it can pump out 10 litres of cold water so you know that the pump is powerfull

Thanks , I'll pick one up tomorrow .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭corks finest

Can u advise on a decent pump shower that's not going to break the bank and will last a few years pls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Can u advise on a decent pump shower that's not going to break the bank and will last a few years pls

Triton T90sr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭John.G

Stoner wrote: »
    Have you a history with them? I've mine in 3 years now. Flush it every 6 months.

What are the main complaints.

I've lashed through showers, the water where I am destroys them

I assume limescale was destroying your other ones, the only advantage maybe is that I think the Mira has a phased shutdown to run cold water through the elements after shutdown whereas the Triton doesn't??.
    I wonder would the Triton elements last for 3 years?

Sleeper12 posted here last year re this advantage/disadvantage but still reckoned the Triton was still (by far?) the one to go for.

Found it, I think...https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107352168

Triton as2000xt for reasonable price power shower. Mira have the mira vigour thermostatic for around the same price but it's the only shower that only comes with a 12 months old. All others come with a 2 or 3 years warranty

Triton t90sr for the best pumped electric silent shower on the market.

Triton as2000xt for reasonable price power shower. Mira have the mira vigour thermostatic for around the same price but it's the only shower that only comes with a 12 months old. All others come with a 2 or 3 years warranty

Triton t90sr for the best pumped electric silent shower on the market.

@corks finest One thing with that 2000xt is that it’s quite noisy, just be advised if somebody is using it very early morning it’ll wake the person in the adjoining room my daughter is always complaining about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

One of our showers is the Triton SR, it's very good, have always had Tritons, usually get a decent length of time out of them, +10 years, once installed & commissioned properly, we also have a priority switch OP, setup works fine,

I've installed lots of showers over the years, but nothing like your experience Sleeper.

I always bought Triton, lashed them into bedsits all over the north circular road.

The 3 in the barber shop I go to are in for 10 years without an issue.

I've had mira and Triton in my current house, limescale has gotten to them however I'm getting a lot longer from them now as I flush them regularly.

You would be amazed at what washes out from one after 24 hours full of limescale remover.

I'll watch that next time around. I was going to pop in a Triton but a plumber swore by the mira, obviously he was basing it on past models and talking out of his backside.

A water softening system is around 800 euros supplied & fitted (I think). If you are in a high limescale area its money well spent. You'll save the outlay after a few years with longer lifespan of the electric shower, immersion, dishwasher, washing machine and kettle. Something to think about for the future maybe

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote:
    A water softening system is around 800 euros supplied & fitted (I think). If you are in a high limescale area its money well spent. You'll save the outlay after a few years with longer lifespan of the electric shower, immersion, dishwasher, washing machine and kettle. Something to think about for the future maybe

Yeah I've looked at them.

Got a great spin from the last shower though

12 years from the washing machine and water cooler in the fridge.

There's annual fluting around with those systems too, maintenance contracts

However the Gulp one if still available has health benefits too.

I've installed lots of showers over the years, but nothing like your experience Sleeper.

I always bought Triton, lashed them into bedsits all over the north circular road.

The 3 in the barber shop I go to are in for 10 years without an issue.

I've had mira and Triton in my current house, limescale has gotten to them however I'm getting a lot longer from them now as I flush them regularly.

You would be amazed at what washes out from one after 24 hours full of limescale remover.

I'll watch that next time around. I was going to pop in a Triton but a plumber swore by the mira, obviously he was basing it on past models and talking out of his backside.

Excuse my ignorance but how does one flush a shower for limescale buildup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Excuse my ignorance but how does one flush a shower for limescale buildup?

I was wondering this also....

I've a few posts on it.

Just take off the hose , run the shower use a toilet duck to push the fluid into the shower until the water turns blue, turn off and leave it

Leave it over night, run it the next day. Clean the filter.

I've a few posts on it.

Just take off the hose , run the shower use a toilet duck to push the fluid into the shower until the water turn blue, turn off and leave it

That,s a novel way of doing things, I wonder has anyone made up a little rig with a circ pump and small tank to circulate hot water/chemical mix around the shower, it would probably be more effective/faster using hot water. I suppose, from a commercial point of view it may be cheaper for any customer to replace the heating can or install a water softener in the first instance.

I've a few posts on it.

Just take off the hose , run the shower use a toilet duck to push the fluid into the shower until the water turn blue, turn off and leave it

How do you get it into the shower with a toliet duck?

Just put toilet duck in the search box, above.

I get nothing...?

beauf wrote: »
    I get nothing...?

You'll find it here

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote:

I tip my hat to you. I've seen this covered dozens of times by removing the heating can. This can only be done legally by a REC. Your solution keeps everyone within the law and seems to work

Advertisement