Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vacant property next door

Options
  • 11-06-2019 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

So I've got keys back. In full selling mode. However, very concerned about the vacant property next door which is not being maintained and is an eye sore. Estate agent said it will be a problem as naturally anyone viewing will ask what's that about? Feeling v anxious about it now. Need to sell and don't want house sitting for too long. Am currently making enquiries about who owns it etc.

Any advice??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

If its in Dublin you could check with the local council if its on the register of derelict sites. That may trigger some action from the owner if they can be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭misc2013

machalla wrote: »
    If its in Dublin you could check with the local council if its on the register of derelict sites. That may trigger some action from the owner if they can be found.

Thanks and it's not derelict, at least but it's got a boarded up window and the grounds are a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,521 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Not ideal but you could clean the garden to make it more presentable

ted1 wrote: »
    Not ideal but you could clean the garden to make it more presentable

i've been told by neighbours that they do clean up the front now and again as it looks so bad, i am not living in the area anymore but now selling up. but if you look in at the back garden from the upstairs, you can see it is a jungle out back. Not sure about accessing the back of a private house to clean it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I'd still suggest contacting the derelict sites section who may be able to redirect you if they won't take it in charge themselves. They may be able to find the owner and escalate it if there's no response. There's not much you can do otherwise.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Have logged a call with the CoCo and will see....The CoCO have maintenance responsibility for the estate so may be able to point me in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

misc2013 wrote: »
    Not sure about accessing the back of a private house to clean it up.

Better to seek forgiveness than ask permission.

An overgrown garden will raise worries about vermin etc. A boarded up house can be explained away by probate, legal wranglings etc. At least if the garden looks kept buyers will think someone is looking after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭PhilipJ

Askthe EA wrote: »
    Better to seek forgiveness than ask permission.

An overgrown garden will raise worries about vermin etc. A boarded up house can be explained away by probate, legal wranglings etc. At least if the garden looks kept buyers will think someone is looking after it.

I second this idea, and is what i would do to maximise my sale potential...

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

just on the legal side of things, if someone goes into an abandoned house and injured themselves, are the absentee owners liable?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

El_Bee wrote: »
    just on the legal side of things, if someone goes into an abandoned house and injured themselves, are the absentee owners liable?
    Of course.

Edit: unless a judge finds otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mow the vacant houses lawn, spray it with weedkiller, and plant a few nice flowers. Next time someone is around cleaning windows, pay to have the vacant houses windows done.

Hop your back wall, and mow the back lawn of the other house as well, once a month or so. Keep it tidy, at least. In the short term, it'll be one less red flag for potential viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

El_Bee wrote: »

Hope Maria doesn't go in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Emma_995

Is that house in glanmire by my chance

Advertisement