Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

V Par

Options
  • 11-06-2019 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi Lads,

Just wondering if you know if V Par can be a handicap counting competition and if so, how?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Just wondering if you know if V Par can be a handicap counting competition and if so, how?

Cheers
    Yes V Par is qualifying. Shooting all square in V par is the same as 36 pts in stableford or shooting level par in stroke play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Yes V Par is qualifying. Shooting all square in V par is the same as 36 pts in stableford or shooting level par in stroke play.

+1, no reason it can't count as qualifying.

You're cut in the exact same measure as any other comp. So if you're 1-up V-Par, you'll get 1 x your standard cut for your handicap category (assuming a CSS of level par)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Yes as said above they are usually counting.

Its a strange one though.
    An 18 H/C could shoot 8 doubles 2 bogies 4 pars and 4 birdies for Even/All Sq in V-par. But have 40 points in stableford.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,611 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yes as said above they are usually counting.

Its a strange one though.
    An 18 H/C could shoot 8 doubles 2 bogies 4 pars and 4 birdies for Even/All Sq in V-par. But have 40 points in stableford.

Yes; it's matchplay against the course; not sure why it would be considered strange to be honest.

You could also have 42 points in Stableford but shoot a nett 71 in Strokeplay if you have one disaster hole.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Yes; it's matchplay against the course; not sure why it would be considered strange to be honest.

You could also have 42 points in Stableford but shoot a nett 71 in Strokeplay if you have one disaster hole.

Yes, I understand that thanks.

Also the second point is pretty irrelevant in relation to handicap adjustment purposes which was what the point of my post was.

• Advertisement

Yes, I understand that thanks.

Also the second point is pretty irrelevant in relation to handicap adjustment purposes which was what the point of my post was.

Alright. I'll leave somebody else enjoy your passive-aggressivenesss.

Alright. I'll leave somebody else enjoy your passive-aggressivenesss.

Haha fair enough.
    Just saying that what you are referring to is not the same. Wasn't trying to be aggressive so sorry if I offended you.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

+1, no reason it can't count as qualifying.

You're cut in the exact same measure as any other comp. So if you're 1-up V-Par, you'll get 1 x your standard cut for your handicap category (assuming a CSS of level par)

If I was putting for a net bogie (already lost hole) do I pick up or putt out?

If I was putting for a net bogie (already lost hole) do I pick up or putt out?

Net Bogie = Pick up - It's literally matchplay against the course if you get me

H-Cap 18 = Gross Bogey = Half
    Gross Par/Birdie/Eagle = Win
    Gross Double Bogey = Loss

• Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It's more of a matchplay against your handicap then against the course.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

It's more of a matchplay against your handicap then against the course.

True actually

Net Bogie = Pick up - It's literally matchplay against the course if you get me

Hey Callaway. Yeah I get that bit, but strictly speaking about handicap counting and adjustments. If I'm putting for a net bogie and I pick up how does it be calculated at the end of the round for handicap purposes?

Hey Callaway. Yeah I get that bit, but strictly speaking about handicap counting and adjustments. If I'm putting for a net bogie and I pick up how does it be calculated at the end of the round for handicap purposes?

Most likely it would be a case of anything worse than 4 Down (negative) would be a 0.1 adjustment upwards.

Probably anything better than 1 Up would be an adjustment downwards.

CSS will be decided off the scores like the below

rOkLbm.jpg

Or lets say I shoot the lights out and have 10 birdies. If it was stableford I could have 45 points but in VPar I only get the win in the hole and it doesn't take into account that I could have beaten par by 2 in some holes, if you know what I mean.

Yeh, that's correct and a good Q, but you could say the same about Stableford where you could've been on for a disaster +6 on a hole, but scratch in stableford saves you from getting a 0.1

Or lets say I shoot the lights out and have 10 birdies. If it was stableford I could have 45 points but in VPar I only get the win in the hole and it doesn't take into account that I could have beaten par by 2 in some holes, if you know what I mean.

Ya this is what I mentioned earlier. Unfortunately it just is a win as you say and handicap adjustments are calculated by how many holes you win by as has been said previously.

OK, Thanks lads. Seems a bit of an unusual way to get 0.1 or a cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Its just one of the quirks of the system. V Par or Versus Par is exactly that. As mentioned earlier its basically matchplay against the course/handicap. Hence the old adage "if you have two, take two".
    Its not strange, its just different to strokes and stableford. I like it tbh.

Advertisement