Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Netflix vrs Connected TV Netflix

Options
  • 11-06-2019 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I didn't know where to post this. I couldn't find the "I'm a naive arsehole" forum.

I've a €15 for 15Gb PAYG Tesco mobile, though for the sake of this post, I'm pretty sure that's irrelevant. Using my Netflix account, I can watch a full movie or a couple of TV episodes for well under a gig on my phone. Makes train journeys go faster.

At the weekend, I was staying somewhere that had a massive Netflix-enabled (but not interwebs-enabled) television. Mighty, I thought, making my mobile a hotspot and connecting the television to it. However, during the finale of "Now You See Me", I'd burned through just over 4Gbs of remaining data credit and now I don't know how it ends. Feckin' raging.

So, to quell my curiosity, why is there a such a difference in throughput between mobile Netflix and connected TV Netflix? Resolution or some tomfeckery? (The hotspot password is unguessable, so there was no piggybacking.)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Folks,

I didn't know where to post this. I couldn't find the "I'm a naive arsehole" forum.

I've a €15 for 15Gb PAYG Tesco mobile, though for the sake of this post, I'm pretty sure that's irrelevant. Using my Netflix account, I can watch a full movie or a couple of TV episodes for well under a gig on my phone. Makes train journeys go faster.

At the weekend, I was staying somewhere that had a massive Netflix-enabled (but not interwebs-enabled) television. Mighty, I thought, making my mobile a hotspot and connecting the television to it. However, during the finale of "Now You See Me", I'd burned through just over 4Gbs of remaining data credit and now I don't know how it ends. Feckin' raging.

So, to quell my curiosity, why is there a such a difference in throughput between mobile Netflix and connected TV Netflix? Resolution or some tomfeckery? (The hotspot password is unguessable, so there was no piggybacking.)

Thanks!

Most likely the TV streamed it in 4K and your phone streams it in 720p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Three More Big Sleeps

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Most likely the TV streamed it in 4K and your phone streams it in 720p.

Thank you, Sir, I shan't make that mistake again :/

Advertisement