Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel’s Avengers (PS4, Xbox One, Stadia, PC)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

They need to do a sequel.

It was fairly obvious from early on that RAD were not gonna do a sequel, but I am surprised Sony didn't get someone else on it, the set up had a lot of potential.

Then again Sony have been sitting on Colony wars for over 2 ****ing decades so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Forgot to post my first impressions the other day. Played 2 levels and it's so ****ing generic. Great car but awful performances. Kamala is the only good character so far, feels like she was written separate to the avengers. I'll go back to it at some stage but in no rush.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

How long does it take to beat the main campaign? It's on PS Now so I may as well play through it however I have ZERO interest in any online play.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    How long does it take to beat the main campaign? It's on PS Now so I may as well play through it however I have ZERO interest in any online play.

I'd say about 10-12 hours, unfortunately you will have to spend the first 4 or 5 not using Iron Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Downloaded this and put about 4 hours into it last night. It's alright. Nothing special. Very meh. Looks well, but it's strange that the clothing doesn't look great until you're right up on top of it, then you can see the excellent detail, but it's lost when you're a couple of inches away. They also somehow managed to make the in game characters look like they're on a green screen, do nearly dethatched from the scenery.

Add on the relentless picking up of different things that are required to upgrade the crazy amount of things you can upgrade. The push to MT's is strong in this, and it's a shame as I'd say if they spent more time on making the game rather than implementing MT's, it might have been better. Kamala seems fine, and I will give kudos to how characters interact with the world around them, making comments and putting out arms to touch the scenery, even if it mainly floats above what it's supposed to be touching.

I have no real urge to get back to it. I've only just done a mission with Hulk where you can pick someone to go with you, so not that far in at all, but looking at everything you can upgrade on Kamala, and then to know it repeats for each character, it seems like a lot of grind. At one stage while Banner and Kamala were talking, I thought to myself, I'd much prefer if this was a film. I'm interested in the cut scenes and overall story, but the gameplay is lacking. Unlike God of War, for example, where the combat was just as interesting as the story, this isn't. To me at least. I'll keep at it, but I can't see myself giving it too much time tbh. I wouldn't be happy right now if I had paid for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the gameplay does get better as it goes on. More difficult enemies and sections, better playable characters (Kamala is decent but Hulk is hugely disappointing imo. Thor and Iron Man are great and the ability to fly makes traversal so much better). Levelling up a character a decent bit also makes the combat that bit deeper than it seems initially.

But the gameplay only gets better for a while. Once you reach the endgame, the game becomes a failure in most regards. The shallowness of everything becomes so prominent that it can't be ignored.

I was guessing the combat does get better, because there's a lot of skills there, and I hadn't even realised until I was turning it off that the skills page has 3 tabs, and they're all as busy as the last. It's a lot to take in, and very slow so far to upgrade. When you control Hulk during the first encounter, I was able to upgrade his jump slam, and then back to Kamala and queue loads of times I got hit because I was trying the jump slam, which I hadn't unlocked for Kamala yet. I thought, grand, I was only Hulk for about 10 minutes before I got the upgrade point. It took about another hour or so before I got an upgrade point for Kamala. Granted, I do explore a bit, but the areas aren't that big that exploring takes that much time.

And remembering the combat now, the dodge is weird. It's like they don't dodge immediately, and then the slow down when they do dodge shows that up. Probably will get better, but annoying right now. I'm trying to not hate this before I've given it a bit more time, but the more I think back on the little bit I've played, the less good things I can think of! Average time for the story is just under 12 hours, so I'll try and give it that at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Played 20 hours (5 not as iron Man)

Not sure the game really tells you this but block/parry and counter are the most important skills to learn and use.

I was using a beam laser iron Man but never managed to get into a full single online game and I have it since release, there is noone playing it or matchmaking it broken. Played a few minutes of one until I was kicked to main screen, that was back in October.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Not sure the game really tells you this but block/parry and counter are the most important skills to learn and use.

There's a block/parry/counter move? Is it an unlockable? Far as I could tell, you're supposed to just dodge everything.

There's a block/parry/counter move? Is it an unlockable? Far as I could tell, you're supposed to just dodge everything.

Nope there from the start, you can parry all but red? attacks.

Which sets up a counter, which if you play it right you can parry counter entire rooms.

On PC Parry is Q and Dodge is CTRL, you can unlock moves to use as counters tho, Iron man has one or 2 good ones.

• Advertisement

Jeez, either I missed where they tell you that, or they don't tell you. Haven't gone back to it since. With new games, I usually can't wait to get back to them, but I'm really not pushed about this at all. I feel like watching the story bits on YT will be enough.

Its mentioned in the HARM room and I only noticed it when doing the HARM room with one of the newer characters, when i went back to Iron Man I killed a lot more a lot faster.

Kinda changes how you play the game....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

I feel like watching the story bits on YT will be enough.

I did that and still feel ripped off. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Started this on Thursday and finished it and both Hawkeye campaigns tonight.

I enjoyed it as a superhero brawler at first but then it gets repetitive with things like "stand in this circle while keeping bad guys away" or go "activate 3 terminals and keep the bad guys away".

Kamala was my hero of choice except when the story dictated otherwise.
    Think she and Kate were my favourites.

Hulk was quite weak really, considering he's the Hulk.

I finished all the campaign missions and the other story mission chains at hero level 43 and power level 140 with Iron Man. Just checked the mission list and between that and the fact that it is suddenly now almost impossible to upgrade my gear, it seems like the game is just gonna be a 100% grindfest from here on out.

Think I will leave it until the next story expansion, got the PS5 version for €30 on sale and had a lot of fun in the 25 hours or so I got out of it. Game doesn't deserve all the hate it gets but it needs to do a lot more to get to where it clearly wants to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It seemed rushed in parts. Like I know they're all AIM facilities but didn't realise AIM architects just used a template for all facilities. Pretty much knew where to go without the marker.
    Though I think that's due to the multiplayer part of the game using maps, I assume. I haven't tried and won't be trying the multiplayer missions

I know it won't happen, but I think if they were given time and budget to make a sequel as a standalone game, rather than a GaaS it could be better.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    It seemed rushed in parts. Like I know they're all AIM facilities but didn't realise AIM architects just used a template for all facilities. Pretty much knew where to go without the marker.
    Though I think that's due to the multiplayer part of the game using maps, I assume. I haven't tried and won't be trying the multiplayer missions

I know it won't happen, but I think if they were given time and budget to make a sequel as a standalone game, rather than a GaaS it could be better.

I think they tried to have a full-on GAAS and a full-on campaign and ended up just compromising both.

Wonder if there's a "good" time to play this.
    I finally bought Anthem 2 years after release because Bioware confirmed they were cancelling Anthem Next so I knew not to expect any more content. Crystal Dynamics, on the other hand, don't seem dedicated to improving this from what I can see.
    Should I buy now or is there a chance they will turn it around?

Wait till its cheap and there is more Story/Characters added.

Not a bad SP game but MP is underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Wonder if there's a "good" time to play this.
    I finally bought Anthem 2 years after release because Bioware confirmed they were cancelling Anthem Next so I knew not to expect any more content. Crystal Dynamics, on the other hand, don't seem dedicated to improving this from what I can see.
    Should I buy now or is there a chance they will turn it around?

I don't know if they're trying to improve gameplay in any way, but they are focusing on releasing new characters, new story missions, new challenges, new areas etc. The trouble is one hand giveth, one hand taketh. They keep making little fixes which end up increasing the grind to level up or unlock items, which is just frankly bizarre considering the poor reaction and player retention.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Marvel's Avengers: Black Panther - War for Wakanda launches August 17th

Marvel’s Avengers Expansion: Black Panther – War for Wakanda will launch on August 17 as a free update to all owners of the core game. In addition to adding Black Panther, the third new playable Super Hero, the War for Wakanda expansion also brings with it two new villains, a brand-new environment to explore, new enemies, the Birnin Zana Outpost, new solo or multiplayer Drop Zone and Threat Sector missions and more, adding the most content to Marvel’s Avengers since the game’s launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah Spiderman was used to push players to PS4 over other platforms so I'd say once Black Panther content is out, I'd say they will start on Spiderman. I wonder will it just be the character or will they do it similar to Hawkeye, Kate Bishop and Black Panther and release him with new levels /enemies

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Maxxx17

I love console games. Much more action and emotion than a computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Just saw this "update". Crystal Dynamics say he'll appear before the end of the year - Screen Rant

Spiderman coming this Winter along with Raid

Advertisement