Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel’s Avengers (PS4, Xbox One, Stadia, PC)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The argument essentially boils down to whether Square-Enix should agree to featuring the character at all if he's going to be Playstation exclusive due to Sony having the rights to him. How strong one feels one way or the other will probably vary based on whether it's free or paid DLC.

I'd be surprised if Microsoft were willing to shell out for their own fully exclusive character to be honest, I guess it'll depend on what the backlash from this move is.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't know if Sony have any kind of full exclusive rights to Spider-Man given that he can appear in multiplatform games like Ultimate Alliance 3 and Marvel V Capcom. I imagine it's just for solo games.

But given Sony own the movie rights to him and have that existing exclusivity deal for his solo games, I think organising deals like this one is extremely easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Penn wrote: »
    I don't know if Sony have any kind of full exclusive rights to Spider-Man given that he can appear in multiplatform games like Ultimate Alliance 3 and Marvel V Capcom. I imagine it's just for solo games.

But given Sony own the movie rights to him and have that existing exclusivity deal for his solo games, I think organising deals like this one is extremely easy.
    Once there are lawyers are involved, I don't think any of this is going to be easy which is probably why the video game rights issue is also so murky. While Activision did have the exclusive rights to make games based on the character previously, that deal is obviously over as is evident by them going so far as to pull all of their previous games from digital storefronts a few years back.

My understanding comes from the comment below made by the head of Marvel Games after the initial Spider-Man PS4 announcement.
    “We’ve had a long history of success with Activision, and we still have a great relationship with them. But the future of the Spider-Man console games is with Sony and Insomniac. We’re delighted about this partnership, and that’s something that’s going to continue forward. With [regard to] other console partners, stay tuned. There’s many more interesting additional things to come. But Activision is in the past, with regards to Spider-Man.”

But I guess partnership can mean ****ing anything these days? Maybe you could just replace it with "big bag of money"?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Ultimate Alliance 3 was July 2019, and Marvel V capcom's latest was 2017, and then the PS4 Spiderman game was 2018.

Would have agreed and said there was a chance of solo Spiderman games remaining PS exclusive with insomniac and him featuring in other games on multiplat, but the big Disney Sony deal was September 2019 and everything from games to toys was probably worked out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Sony announces "Even more PlayStation Advantages" for Marvel's Avengers
    https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1290694406635499520?s=19
    Even More PlayStation Advantages:

We previously stated that we’re huge Marvel fans, but we’re also PlayStation fans. We are honored to be working with them to provide additional advantages to PlayStation players. PlayStation players will have exclusive access to certain Community Challenges, where the PlayStation Nation will work together to accomplish a goal in order to gain rewards specific to them.

When it comes to cosmetics, PlayStation players will have 30-day exclusive access to a Legendary Outfit, Legendary Emote, Epic Takedown, and nameplate for each Super Hero as they are released – this is also for the six launch heroes. In addition, we also have rewards for those with a PlayStation Plus subscription. For each Super Hero added to the game post-launch, Hawkeye included, all PS Plus members will receive a free bundle that contains a Rare Outfit, nameplate, and 100 Credits to celebrate the addition of another Avenger to the roster. At launch, we’ll have a free bundle for Ms. Marvel available for PS Plus members to embiggen our love for Kamala!

PlayStation 4 players will be the first to play the Beta! The Beta for those who pre-ordered on PS4 will take place from August 7-9 with pre-loading available on August 6. Following that, the Open Beta for all PlayStation players will be available from August 14-16 and August 21-23. You also do not need PlayStation Plus to participate in the Beta, so all your friends are free to join! For more information on the contents of the Beta, please see our previous PS Blog.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/marvels-avengers-beta-impressions

Hands on by Mike Williams.

Also despite the disgusting marketing language used it's very obvious the spiderman thing is due to the deal Sony have for the insomniac games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Is the main character in this Ms Marvel or do you get to use who you like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Sony announces "Even more PlayStation Advantages" for Marvel's Avengers
    https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1290694406635499520?s=19
    It's all just cosmetic ****e really ain't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Calhoun wrote: »
    Is the main character in this Ms Marvel or do you get to use who you like ?

From what I can tell, the game is kinda mission based where you pick whomever you want. There are probably story missions, where you will have to select from a limited roster. Also heard talk of "character missions" which are probably unique missions for a particular character, maybe with specific unlocks for them behind them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I do like the Marvel films so was hoping the game might be half decent. This video doesn't paint a pretty picture though, the gameplay looks boring and that motion blur is awful!

The big thing turning me off right now is the amount of exclusives going around for certain brands like Virgin and Verizon. Its not good optics in my opinion and seems like a tacky cashgrab.

Other than the micro-transactions and the "exclusive" deals, the gameplay looks piss poor. Spaming the square button in a corridor just dosent sound good.
    I think I'll pass no matter how much I love The Avengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The big thing turning me off right now is the amount of exclusives going around for certain brands like Virgin and Verizon. Its not good optics in my opinion and seems like a tacky cashgrab.

It's the new way of things unfortunately.

Look at all the companies desperately trying to get on the Fall Guys train...

https://twitter.com/kfcgaming/status/1292874018895396868

Puke.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It wouldn't bother me too much in games like Fall Guys, that's a game ripe for that kind stuff, Coke can outfits, Wendys Girl outfits, soccer team kits, etc. Hell, I'm sure with enough requests, we could get county GAA jerseys. It's a zany game with no real "feel" for anything specific, and the vast majority won't buy into the branded stuff. But in games like Avengers it's completely out of place and tacky.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's such a small thing ultimately, but given only this year we've had The Boys ruthlessly mock that well worn trope of "the corporate superhero", having corporate skins for Captain America et al feels utterly tone deaf and idiotic. Cap himself would probably fight a bad-guy just like that lol. The AAA industry just can't help themselves really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

J. Marston wrote: »
    It's the new way of things unfortunately.

Look at all the companies desperately trying to get on the Fall Guys train...

https://twitter.com/kfcgaming/status/1292874018895396868

Puke.

if the companies pay for it and its giving free to consumers i dont see the problem, like that doritos crash course game which i love :pac::pac:

that colonel fall guy also looks kinda cool too

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just saw the whole Virgin media outfits, Jesus that's disgusting. You'd wonder what the big wigs would actually say no when it comes to being offered big bags of money, not much I'd say.

For me its more of is the game actually that good that they feel they have to squeeze every last cent out of it. Its also the timing of it as its from launch rather than later on.

If its a great game then it doesn't matter but it just looks like it possible could be a stinker that they are trying to get as much as they can from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Don't think I mind waiting a few months until its 30 quid at this point, won't be buying it as a Day One with either the Series X or PS5 anyway

• Advertisement

For me its more of is the game actually that good that they feel they have to squeeze every last cent out of it. Its also the timing of it as its from launch rather than later on.

If its a great game then it doesn't matter but it just looks like it possible could be a stinker that they are trying to get as much as they can from it.

"gameplay" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Beta now live for PS4 players and those who pre-ordered on PC and Xbox One

Downloading it now. Lets hope for the best!

It's a ball of shyte. Took ages to get an email off squeenix to verify my account before i could start v the beta. Then Boring gameplay, internet errors every minute that pauses the game and you click x to resume and to top it off, a cutscene froze for me on the 2nd mission, solo Hulk one, and had to hard reset. Loaded it up again and froze again, can't get past it.

Can't believe they wanted people to pay to access this beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Similar, I've been stuck on the email/QR code ****e for the last hour. I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm nearly starting to think this is a very Destiny-type game, in that if you wait until a year or two after it comes out, it might actually be alright.

It was almost a dead-cert for me to get this just because it's the Avengers, but it's starting to look unlikely, which is a shame.

Similar, I've been stuck on the email/QR code ****e for the last hour. I give up.

Yeah took me about an hour to get my verification email same amount of time to get my forgot password email to try the qr code instead. They said they are working on a backlog of emails so if ye are planning on playing tonight, i recommend starting it up early to make sure you're not waiting later.

I'm nearly starting to think this is a very Destiny-type game, in that if you wait until a year or two after it comes out, it might actually be alright.

It was almost a dead-cert for me to get this just because it's the Avengers, but it's starting to look unlikely, which is a shame.

I love marvel and there's even a whiff of division off this which i love as well but i find myself wanting to skip bits of gameplay because they were so boring. Just hammer square til the next cutscene. Also, it makes my pro turn into a jet engine.

• Advertisement

Jesus this game is terrible. Just button mashing and annoying enemies. That will be a big no from me.

Advertisement