Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Park Road Recylcing Centre to Close

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It was on Live95fm today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Brutal and the litter wardens/department are a joke I rang 10 days ago to inform them about illegal dumping and they still haven't come out.

On the off chance the illegal dumper reads this what kind of a Muppet throws a bag of used nappies in a housing estate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Very disappointed with descision to close it down. Very handy to the whole city area and suburbs and beyond. Citing H&S and not being able to implement a traffic management plan sounds like pure waffle. Its never that busy but yet this always another car or two there when I arrive. Drive in, unload ur stuff, very helpful supervisor there and drive off - why does everything have to be made complicated by petty H&S rules. Mungret is harder to get to for many people and there are charges for disposal too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Very disappointed with descision to close it down. Very handy to the whole city area and suburbs and beyond. Citing H&S and not being able to implement a traffic management plan sounds like pure waffle. Its never that busy but yet this always another car or two there when I arrive. Drive in, unload ur stuff, very helpful supervisor there and drive off - why does everything have to be made complicated by petty H&S rules. Mungret is harder to get to for many people and there are charges for disposal too

The bottle bank will be retained but it's current position makes it unsafe for people to park and get out. I think it should be moved to the Marketplace car park next door, if the council would be willing to rent a space there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

kilburn wrote: »
    Brutal and the litter wardens/department are a joke I rang 10 days ago to inform them about illegal dumping and they still haven't come out.

On the off chance the illegal dumper reads this what kind of a Muppet throws a bag of used nappies in a housing estate

There is always a black refuse bag of rubbish thrown at the side of the road on Childers Road near St Kieran's School. Should be easy to catch the culprit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

chicorytip wrote: »
    The bottle bank will be retained but it's current position makes it unsafe for people to park and get out. I think it should be moved to the Marketplace car park next door, if the council would be willing to rent a space there.

Not sure I'd agree its unsafe but I was more speaking of the inner area of Park Road which has the small electrical items and cardboard/ paper recycling facilities. There are a good few other bottle banks around but no other facility for these items.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

And another reason the directly elected mayor can't come fast enough. Councillors have zero power. https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/424056/limerick-council-to-hold-special-meeting-on-park-road-depot.html#.XQOUXCUgIQc.twitter
    Councillors, led by Joe Leddin, successfully saw a motion passed which would have prevented the immediate closure of the facility.

However, the council’s manager in the metropolitan district Kieran Lehane overruled them, saying the closure must go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

It's a crazy decision to close this plant and move everything to Mungret.

If this site was a H&S hazard then a more suitable site than Mungret should have been found in the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

You really couldn't make it up could you? The thought of it alone is absolute insanity, let alone the fact that they've actually decided to go and do it. Beyond belief it really is.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think Limerick Council must be one of the most inept, incompetent and perhaps corrupt in the country and by Irish standards that is a not saying very much.

Their longstanding disastrous land use planning policies have led to a doughnut city with a dying core....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I think Limerick Council must be one of the most inept, incompetent and perhaps corrupt in the country and by Irish standards that is a not saying very much.

Their longstanding disastrous land use planning policies have led to a doughnut city with a dying core....

The fact that there were two competing councils with the county allowing multiple shopping centers to be built just outside the city limits with no care for the city center was the reason we got the donut affect. It would be even worse if the Parkway Valley SC had been completed.

Luckily since the amalgamation the policy is city center over the donut and multiple applications for retail outside the city have been refused.

That's not to take away from the fact that the council still aren't good enough, but it's better that it was. Although I'd have preferred a boundary extension like Cork got rather than the amalgamation.

Advertisement