Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MonstrosiDee: advice sought

Options
  • 11-06-2019 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about making my Vitus Dee (a 7spd city model currently running with an s/s converter on 10spd XT wheels with 48mm risers and hydro brakes) into a 1x10 monstercrosser.

1. It's a 19" frame but I'm 6'3" so worried that it might be too short first of all.

From the reading I've done so far keeping the stem short is a necessity.

I ride 58cm Roadbikes with 110-130mm stems normally.

The toptube length is 62cm /seattube is 46cm.

2. The drivetrain will hopefully be bodgeable given the original 1x7 setup of the bike but that was on a freewheel so not 100% sure on the alignment of a 1x10 set up and options for retaining the current cranks.

3. Cockpit. I'm assuming that the current Deore hydraulics won't play well with a road hydraulic shifter but I'd rather skip mechanical discs so it's either source a cheap set of second hand drop bar hydraulics or use an adaptor with mechanical shifters.

Quite a few builds I've seen use an MTB trigger mounted near the stem rather than mess around with road Stis.

There's also the Giant hybrid brake model...

Opinions sought on the above.

For anyone looking to tell me I should just buy another bike:

1. I can't
    2. I don't want to

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

1. It's a 19" frame but I'm 6'3" so worried that it might be too short first of all.

From the reading I've done so far keeping the stem short is a necessity.

Sounds way too small, according to this table, 19" comes out as 48cm (48.26 if you do a direct conversion). I got away with one size too small (54 where 56 is ideal) on the basis of a longer stem and saddle all the way back but wouldn't go much lower on a drop bar.

That said, if it is a bike that you're already riding it could work but sounds a bit painful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'm assuming that the current Deore hydraulics won't play well with a road hydraulic shifter
    you mean the shifters are hydraulic, or do you mean shifters with hydraulic brakes and cable shifting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

If you go for a dedicated dirt drop bar (i.e. Genetic Digest or Salsa Woodchipper), designed to be ridden in drops, you will get away with the current stem length.

Note you will need to use a stem with huge rise to bring the clamp approx. 8cm higher, so that drops end up where you currently hold your straight bars, or just a bit lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

you mean the shifters are hydraulic, or do you mean shifters with hydraulic brakes and cable shifting?

Currently it has a full set of Deore hydraulics.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Why the want for drop bar brakes. I had the same size frame and was fine at 6'1 for sit up and ride, had to raise the saddle quite a bit though but not sure there is any point in drops which would be almost unusable (for me anyway).. Long story short, the main change is drop bars, why do you want to do that considering the shape/size/geometry of the bike?

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Why the want for drop bar brakes. I had the same size frame and was fine at 6'1 for sit up and ride, had to raise the saddle quite a bit though but not sure there is any point in drops which would be almost unusable (for me anyway).. Long story short, the main change is drop bars, why do you want to do that considering the shape/size/geometry of the bike?

Because I can

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Because I can

Which is fair enough, I just can't help but think you'll turn a nice ride into a monstrosity or you into the hunchback of Notre Dame

It's alliiiiiiiiive

Are you comfortable in the drops?

Alek wrote: »
    Are you comfortable in the drops?

It could do with being 10mm shorter, but the reach is very close to perfect. It's only really noticeable in the hooks where the fit isn't quite snug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

As my grandmother used say:

Every man to his fancy,
    And me to my Nancy.
    Said the woman,
    As she kissed her cow.

It could do with being 10mm shorter, but the reach is very close to perfect. It's only really noticeable in the hooks where the fit isn't quite snug.

I mean the angle... I had these bars like this for the first ride and my wrists were shot before I arrived in Phoenix Park.....

I mean the angle... I had these bars like this for the first ride and my wrists were shot before I arrived in Phoenix Park.....

Interesting. I hadn't thought of it as being a function of the bar angle, I'll try and replicate the angle of Hardy's bars before I mess the stem.

Interesting. I hadn't thought of it as being a function of the bar angle, I'll try and replicate the angle of Hardy's bars before I mess the stem.

I immediately saw where you were right on the money. Reach is drastically improved by that angle.

Just need to raise the shifters now...wish I'd thought to check it before I taped the bars

With any new bars, not only such radical designs, I learned to wait a week or so before taping... ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I immediately saw where you were right on the money. Reach is drastically improved by that angle.

Just need to raise the shifters now...wish I'd thought to check it before I taped the bars

Are you looking for more or less reach? I've a spare FSA ergo bar in the shed gathering dust if you wan't something shallower.

With any new bars, not only such radical designs, I learned to wait a week or so before taping... ;)

The angle sorted the reach perfectly

Advertisement