Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job ending : issues

Options
  • 11-06-2019 9:57pm

I’ve worked in my job for 3 years. I was on a contract that’s been rolled over - i was covering someone who went from maternity leave, to sick leave, to maternity leave to carers leave.

In that time the company was restructured. There were huge changes in my job which I got to grips with and I devised my own system. I’m the only one in my company who does my job (Administrator) and the only one who knows it.

I’ve just been given 2 weeks notice that my job is ending as the woman I covered is coming back part time -It will be part time from now on for her. There will be no crossover , I’m gone next Friday and she starts Monday.

Now my boss wants me to tell her (my boss) in the next few days all my systems & work practices, where I file everything , how I do everything from computerized PO to online banking , payments , online ordering, programming printer, franking machines .

I’m annoyed at how little notice I’ve been given and the fact a busy full time job has been changed to a part time one to suit the permanent employee who hasn’t worked for 3 + years. Yet I get let go and am expected to hand over all the work practices and systems I created and used to do my job so well.

Is it normal to be pissed off? I feel like ringing in sick for these last few days.

(I’m expected to work my job FULL TIME for the next week PLUS brief my Boss on everything so this person can return to do this job PART TIME the next week. This is a customer service/client based job, phones, emails, open to public 9-5, so it’s always been full time )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I think part time is better than no time, and the company is probably in a bit of a bind.

Sure you happily did your job for the last 3 years but there's history there they couldn't ignore. In fact it's probably been hanging over you for 3 years anyway. So splitting the work is the best option, with the hopes that one of you might move on.

I think the answer is fairly simple, are you going to be happy with the money coming in from reduced hours and less of a work load, or do you need to match your current wages (or increase them) and move on?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I think part time is better than no time, and the company is probably in a bit of a bind.

Sure you happily did your job for the last 3 years but there's history there they couldn't ignore. In fact it's probably been hanging over you for 3 years anyway. So splitting the work is the best option, with the hopes that one of you might move on.

I think the answer is fairly simple, are you going to be happy with the money coming in from reduced hours and less of a work load, or do you need to match your current wages (or increase them) move on?

No they're losing their job as in the woman they were covering is coming back as part time...

If it were me yes I'd go sick to be honest.

Have you any holidays left and when can you take them or will they pay you them back?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Think DD has misread the post

Yeah I might be pissed off thinking I've got a job that I like and no chance this other person is coming back after 3 years. Being cynical sounds like she has played the system to guarantee the job back when she wants

Take the redundancy and get job searching - sounds like your talents will be an asset to another company

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

This is a bummer for you op, but there are a couple of legal issues you have to accept.

• the company cannot discriminate against the person you were covering on maternity nor disability grounds. She has to be able to return to her job under the same t@cs as she had before she went on maternity leave. It seems that both she and the company have come to an agreement over hours, this is common when returning from a long absence due to illness and may have been recommended by her GP.

• you were employed on a contract of fixed term to cover a specific task, ie replace an employee on leave. Your contract should set out your terms covering notice periods. If the notice period is longer than 2 weeks in your contract, then they have to pay you for all of that period.

Do your best and make sure you leave with a glowing reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Go in and do your work as per your contract. No more, no less. Especially not more. Show up at 9, leave at 5 on the button (assuming your hours are 9-5). Take you full breaks and lunches. They've given you the absolute minimum courtesy they possibly could, so give the same back.

Do the tasks assigned by your boss. It's up to them to decide whether the handover or day-to-day is more important, but do not go over-and-above your basic work day. Put any scheduling conflicts directly back on your boss: "Do you want me to handle this client issue now or brief you on XYZ? I can't do both today"

In the meantime, get job-hunting! And get a reference ASAP

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

I think the answer is fairly simple, are you going to be happy with the money coming in from reduced hours and less of a work load, or do you need to match your current wages (or increase them) and move on?

I’d love part time ! But I’m out . It’s part time now but only for the person I covered for the last 3 years, I’ve been let go , she’s getting the job back.

My issue is with the hand over more than anything. I had to get on with the job myself and create my own systems for 3 years. Suddenly now the boss wants to know everything I do as my replacement won’t know what to do when she comes back.

Regarding redundancy there’s none , I’m on contract. I’ve also no holidays as I had to go to Canada in May for family reasons and it’s used up . Think the advice is right - just do my job, nothing over and above, try to leave on good terms, but it’s actually proving harder than I thought.

I’ve always been really professional , it’s just who I am, but today I slammed a door so hard it shook!

Guess I feel taken for granted. It’s a tiny office and I got the company through a complete restructure myself in 2018 although I was the newest in and the least well paid. It wasn’t even my job , it was the coordinator’s, but every single email about the restructure was forwarded to me and I did it. KPMB even complimented whoever did the work in my office as there were no errors at all.

I probably should have dealt with my frustration over this when it happened, it’s certainly causing me hassle now my job has suddenly come to an end. I don’t feel like cooperating or sharing my work practices as nobody cared last year how I did it as long as it was done .

fritzelly wrote: »

Take the redundancy and get job searching - sounds like your talents will be an asset to another company

Position is not redundant, the permanent employee is coming back. Fixed term contractors may be entitled to redundancy after two years service, but that applies where position is being scrapped/redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

My issue is with the hand over more than anything. I had to get on with the job myself and create my own systems for 3 years. Suddenly now the boss wants to know everything I do as my replacement won’t know what to do when she comes back.

They're not your systems. Your employer paid you to do a job and they're entitled to know how you file stuff out what passwords etc you use.

Imagine if a computer systems adminstrator decided not to hand over the passwords leaving the company crippled?

You don't really have a right to have sour grapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Have you any holidays left OP. If so take them to see out the remainder of as much of your contract as you can. Tell your boss you need to take them to start finding a job as soon as possible. For three years work they should have given you a months notice out of courtesy, and enough time to train the other employee back in. As the others have said train her in or do your normal job for the next week. Don't do both. Good look going forward.

I was made redundant quite a few times in the downturn what i learned is its important to stay positive :)

They're not your systems. Your employer paid you to do a job and they're entitled to know how you file stuff out what passwords etc you use.

Imagine if a computer systems adminstrator decided not to hand over the passwords leaving the company crippled?

You don't really have a right to have sour grapes but I'm unsure of you are getting the correct notice period. When if your contact only States two weeks, I don't think it can override employment law for the period you worked. You should look into that.

I’ve no workplace issues, I understand completely this was a contract, it’s been done by the book. I accept my job is ending. My coordinator has access to everything I do, it’s not password protected. But that doesn’t mean she understands it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I edited because employment law states to weeks minimum for up to 5 years service.

I edited because employment law states to weeks minimum for up to 5 years service.

Thanks, I know that, but it still sucks. I’d have to give them a months notice (and I would out of manners anyway) if I was leaving for another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,771 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Regarding redundancy there’s none , I’m on contract. I’ve also no holidays as I had to go to Canada in May for family reasons and it’s used up . Think the advice is right - just do my job, nothing over and above, try to leave on good terms, but it’s actually proving harder than I thought.

If on rolled over fixed term contracts once you hit 2 years you should be entitled to redundancy...

An employee who has worked continuously for at least 104 weeks under a fixed-term or specified purpose contract can qualify for a redundancy payment when the contract ends.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/contracts_of_employment/fixed_term_or_specified_purpose_contracts.html

Only if the company is closing or the position is being scrapped. Neither applies to the op.

First sentence in the link your posted:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/redundancy/redundancy_payments.html

“Where you lose your job due to circumstances such as the closure of the business or a reduction in the number of staff this is known as redundancy”

Dav010 wrote: »
    Only if the company is closing or the position is being scrapped. Neither applies to the op.

First sentence in the link your posted:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/redundancy/redundancy_payments.html

“Where you lose your job due to circumstances such as the closure of the business or a reduction in the number of staff this is known as redundancy”

That page says otherwise once over 2 years
    a fixed-term contract can also involve a specified-purpose...such as replacing an employee while she is on maternity leave.
    Redundancy
    An employee who has worked continuously for at least 104 weeks under a fixed-term or specified purpose contract can qualify for a redundancy payment when the contract ends.

That page says otherwise once over 2 years

You have to have over 102 continuous service to qualify for redundancy, but the position is redundant, not the person. In the ops case the position is still there, being filled by the person who has returned from leave.

If the position was terminated, then the op would qualify, it wasn’t.

I edited my post with the relevant parts
    That pretty much says it's irrelevant if the position no longer exists

I edited my post with the relevant parts

I edited mine to respond. The important word is “can”, not will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

You have to have over 102 continuous service to qualify for redundancy, but the position is redundant, not the person. In the ops case the position is still there, being filled by the person who has returned from leave.

The full time position has been eliminated and replaced with a new part time position.

The full time position has been eliminated and replaced with a new part time position.

The employer cannot replace a full time with a part time position when a pregnant/sick employee is returning after leave without risking an accusation of discrimination. They can however agree to reduced hours to accommodate the employee, nothing to stop them both agreeing. The original employee is still employed under a contract of indefinite duration, just with agreed, reduced hours.

• Advertisement

Suggest the OP get on onto CI, that page seems to purport s/he will get redundancy
    They have hit the magic 104 week number

I’ll look into this , I doubt it would apply to me but Fritzellys post from Cit Info website is interesting

The employer cannot replace a full time with a part time position when a pregnant/sick employee is returning after leave without risking an accusation of discrimination. They can however agree to reduced hours to accommodate the employee, nothing to stop them both agreeing. The original employee is still employed under a contract of indefinite duration, just with agreed, reduced hours.

Sounds like from the OP is now a part time position permanently not just to start off with.

I’ll look into this , I doubt it would apply to me but Fritzellys post from Cit Info website is interesting

No harm, you've given 3 years to the company and put in procedures for the betterment of the company - should have some kind of recompense for time served.

They’ve categorically said the job is no longer full time and I cannot job share. They’ve changed the job to part time for the previous employee. I’m upset as it’s undermines me and what I’ve been doing for 3 years .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Didn't think maternity leave could be three years duration. Is it not one year max?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

I’d love part time ! But I’m out . ..

My issue is with the hand over more than anything....

I’ve always been really professional , it’s just who I am, but today I slammed a door so hard it shook!

Guess I feel taken for granted. It’s a tiny office and I got the company through a complete restructure myself in 2018 although I was the newest in and the least well paid. It wasn’t even my job , it was the coordinator’s, but every single email about the restructure was forwarded to me and I did it. KPMB even complimented whoever did the work in my office as there were no errors at all.

I probably should have dealt with my frustration over this when it happened, it’s certainly causing me hassle now my job has suddenly come to an end. I don’t feel like cooperating or sharing my work practices as nobody cared last year how I did it as long as it was done .

On the plus side you now have a great selling point for your new CV.

Re the compliment do you have any contact details for them that you could push your CV out to?

It's very poor for the company only to have given you the short notice, when they had to be in communication with the employee who is comming back.
    As for the handover, do as suggested, let your manager manage the process.
    If they don't want to pay you for a proper handover try to be as professional as possible for the next 2 weeks. If you get frustrated remember, while the company may have agreed to a part time role, leave happy with the knowledge that your manager will have to work an additional half week picking up any slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

If it was me and only my opinion
    If you have a few quid saved
    Leave,show them nothing
    Your only a number in life
    The sooner you accept it the easier life becomes
    You will pick up a job quick,your clearly a smart person
    All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Now my boss wants me to tell her (my boss) in the next few days all my systems & work practices, where I file everything , how I do everything from computerized PO to online banking , payments , online ordering, programming printer, franking machines .
    Ask will they give you a reference. If yes, assist your boss.

If no, walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i think the short notice to you wss crap on their part but I'd suggest you finish out your time thete in the same profesdional way you've behaved up to now.
    get a reference, its the least they can do and go out with your gead held high.
    tbh you deserve a better company than that.

good luck

Advertisement