Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job ending : issues

Options
13»

Comments

I'm afraid that I do think it's unprofessional. It seems like you did a great job during your employment, but it is not professional to take offense when the terms of an agreed contract are adhered to. As someone who has both been a contract worker, and now hires them, I would say that you probably aren't suited to this kind of work (which isn't a bad thing - most employers are looking for permanent employers who will get engaged and take ownership of their role as you did).

My experience is that, no matter how positive an impression you have made to date, it could now be soured with all parties due to your reaction to the ending of your contract. As others have posted, Ireland is a very small country, and even if they'll still smile to your face, a lot of people will be put off by someone who can't be trusted to close out a contract job well. This is especially true of the big professional services firms, so my gut feeling is that your outburst may have been pyrrhic.

As the OP was on a temporary contract to cover the employee on leave, and that employee is now returning, and the OP was given their full notice, I find it hard to see any impropriety on the part of their management or the company. The OP certainly believes that they are essential to the organisation, but that's rarely the case in any organisation of any size, if we're honest with ourselves.

Certainly, the outline of the OP's behaviour as they describe it themselves would indicate to me that the company might already be happy to be rid of them.

Update: had my performance review today and it went really well. I’ve already secured references from my previous coordinator , my present coordinator, a current regional Board member and a letter commending my work from KPMG. While I knew my contract was ending it was the manner it was done and the complete change of terms of the job that I took issue with. You have to place a value on yourself.
    In my review today said I was told I was the best Administrator they’ve had in 10 years and I’ve made the most positive changes. I’m happy with that.

I’ve also got interviews for 2 jobs in the same Company but different locations in the next 2 weeks (We’re a public service have offices in most big towns) I’ve been highly recommended for both these jobs by my current coordinator. I’ll also go up a salary scale with either of these jobs. Looks like I’ll be kept in the company after all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Jim2007 wrote: »
    The BS short sighted answer! Does not thing for the OP's reputation with their colleagues and employer, other than to ensure that they will not be considered for any openings there.

The position was always temporary and this day was always going to come.

Hilarious, you think you should get a good reference for that kind of BS.
    Just... lol. Yeah OP, I was totally wrong, make sure to put in lots of overtime in these last two weeks. Management will really appreciate it, and you'll definitely get lots of real rewards. Remember, this position was always temporary, but apparently it wasn't always standard hours, those are just a minimum suggestion

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Just... lol. Yeah OP, I was totally wrong, make sure to put in lots of overtime in these last two weeks. Management will really appreciate it, and you'll definitely get lots of real rewards. Remember, this position was always temporary, but apparently it wasn't always standard hours, those are just a minimum suggestion

Well I certainly didn’t put extra effort and time into my work this week :):)
    And it hasn’t don’t my prospects any harm at all. You have to put a value on yourself. None of us are indispensable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Good to hear you've interviews and references sorted OP. Tell them absolutely nothing about your job, go as far as laugh in their face. They've a brass neck asking you at all.

Advertisement