Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rise in Temple Bar beggars?

Options
  • 11-06-2019 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

There looks in the last while to be a rise in the number of people begging in Temple Bar area.

I've become aware of it particularly around Eustace Street and Essex Street.

These are mobile or stand up beggars not sitting down with a cup type of beggars.

Focus Ireland on Eustace Street obviously attracts a great deal of people with needs and issues, beggars among them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I see homeless people all around the city centre ,
    they sit on the ground near a shop ,
    they just hold a cup and wait for a donation.
    I presume they maybe need money for drugs or drink .
    Theres plenty of places to go if they want free food .
    I don,t think temple bar is any worse than any other area.
    I don,t think its anything to do with focuspoint .
    i Go through temple bar every week ,
    i rarely see anyone begging there .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

riclad wrote: »
    I see homeless people all around the city centre ,
    they sit on the ground near a shop ,
    they just hold a cup and wait for a donation.
    I presume they maybe need money for drugs or drink .
    Theres plenty of places to go if they want free food .
    I don,t think temple bar is any worse than any other area.
    I don,t think its anything to do with focuspoint .
    i Go through temple bar every week ,
    i rarely see anyone begging there .

This poem doesn't even rhyme.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

There is a big increase in tents popping up in city centre parks too, they seem to be generally the same colour so presumably donated from some charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

imme wrote: »
    There looks in the last while to be a rise in the number of people begging in Temple Bar area.

I've become aware of it particularly around Eustace Street and Essex Street.

These are mobile or stand up beggars not sitting down with a cup type of beggars.

Focus Ireland on Eustace Street obviously attracts a great deal of people with needs and issues, beggars among them.

Are these homeless people you are talking about??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Charlie19 wrote: »
    There is a big increase in tents popping up in city centre parks too, they seem to be generally the same colour so presumably donated from some charity.

I've noticed a lot of orange tents in the small park along the quays beside the museum Luas stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

What I always tell them and chuggers is I don’t carry cash. They then apologise for disturbing you and approach other people. I’ve never had any problems so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Tusky wrote: »
    I've noticed a lot of orange tents in the small park along the quays beside the museum Luas stop.

Few scattered around Phoenix park too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

kravmaga wrote: »
    Are these homeless people you are talking about??

Yes, the increase I've noticed in beggars in recent weeks on Eustace Street and environs has been homeless looking and service user type people more so than full-time beggars.

Maybe I've answered my own question.

Just that I hadn't come across them begging before.

They are more like long term homeless and or drug treatment center attendees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Give them a 1c coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

It's Ireland being left on it own with the EU that's done it imo. I tried it myself a few months back. Even got a buskers license.

Seems to be a lot of people around to help aswell, food and clothing tables galore pop up all over the place in the evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I love the junkie ones who don't even put any effort in to their setup, and just sit down somewhere in their grey cloth tracksuit bottoms and gleaming nike runners with a cup.
    There seems to be the same group of Roma begging around the nice parts of southside city centre for the last 5 years at least, they just switch up places from time to time. I always wonder who actually gives them any money...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭trashcan

This poem doesn't even rhyme.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    Some poems rhyme
    This one doesn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Rise in Dublin full stop unfortunately.

I work in the city centre and a few weeks ago was out walking on my lunch break, walked a loop from South to North side and back. I decided to count and was asked (by people sitting outside shops) or approached directly for money by beggars (not chuggers) 14 times.

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    Rise in Dublin full stop unfortunately.

I work in the city centre and a few weeks ago was out walking on my lunch break, walked a loop from South to North side and back. I decided to count and was asked (by people sitting outside shops) or approached directly for money by beggars (not chuggers) 14 times.
    14 sounds rather a lot.

I get the Luas into town every day, and then walk regularly between two locations close to Temple Bar. I'd say I might encounter 14 over an entire working day, but then again, maybe their abundance has only served to make them barely noticeable.

Advertisement