Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat 6 to Coax

• 12-06-2019 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a virgin media connection coming into my attic via a coax cable. It connects to an internal coax cable which runs downstairs where the VM router is connected up to it.

I also have a couple of Ethernet ports around the house which all run into 1 central CAT 6 cable in the attic.

Is there a way I can split the VM coax cable in the attic so that I can still have the internal coax cable connecting to it and the cat 6 cable connecting to it so I can have an internet connection for the ethernet ports?

I know one option would be to run the cat 6 central cable back down the wall and connect it into the router but I want to avoid that if possible.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

AnswerIs42 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a virgin media connection coming into my attic via a coax cable. It connects to an internal coax cable which runs downstairs where the VM router is connected up to it.

I also have a couple of Ethernet ports around the house which all run into 1 central CAT 6 cable in the attic.

Several cables into one?
    Is there a switch involved or are the cables joined somehow?
    Is there a way I can split the VM coax cable in the attic so that I can still have the internal coax cable connecting to it and the cat 6 cable connecting to it so I can have an internet connection for the ethernet ports?

I know one option would be to run the cat 6 central cable back down the wall and connect it into the router but I want to avoid that if possible.

Thanks for any help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

AnswerIs42 wrote: »
    this doesn't make sense...

From Ethernet port on VM hub, run CAT cable to the attic(use existing one if available). In the attic install network switch and connect all rooms into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭AnswerIs42

Several cables into one?
    Is there a switch involved or are the cables joined somehow?

The electrician said the he would centralise all the port cables in the attic and the only cable up there is one cat 6 cable. It comes through the floor of the attic so I assume he did the connections (4 port cables to 1 attic cable) in the walls somewhere that I can't see/find.
    From Ethernet port on VM hub, run CAT cable to the attic(use existing one if available).

Because the connections are done in the wall, I can't find the existing cable. Running another new cable is less than ideal as well.

I was hoping I could just connect the existing attic cable to the VM coax cable somehow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

Contact the electrician. The one who put them in in the first place.
    If he said he'd centralise the cables he's the only person who can answer this question.
    Don't expect him to remember off the top of his head what he did though.
    He may need to come out to check it out, but I think you need somebody to help you with this plan anyway, so that shouldn't be any added hassle.
    He could move the VM router to the attic for you if the rest of the cabling is actually organised for that.

The cable you can see in the attic may simply be going to the same place the other ones go.
    You can't simply twist these cables together. They need to all plug into a switch at one location.
    It's possible that this location is just somewhere else in the house.

It's also possible of course that he just connected the cables together in a loop so that they could be used as telephone points,
    but let's hope that's not what happened!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Ignoring the worrying point about one Cat6 cable in the attic - yes can you run Ethernet over Coax, yes you can but its expensive if your looking for 1Gbps but you can also get devices for 100Mbps/10Mbps which are much cheaper

• Advertisement
Advertisement