Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running issues specific to women

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well worth joining the Facebook group “The Irish Menopause”. You can learn a lot there. I started on the Evorel Conti patch 3 weeks ago … that is a combination of oestrogen and progesterone. I can’t say I feel any different in one way yet suddenly I feel fitter and and stronger and in the last week I’m lifting heavier in the gym. It’s weird and possibly coincidence but I’m taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Will check that group out tks Kellygirl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

It took about a year really but the mental symptoms - disappeared almost instantly . I did get a boob increase for a while and had an issue with bloating . The bloating in the end seemed to be from a new intolerance to foods I had eaten for ever .

Tks Bluesquare and Kellygirl appreciate the replies. Have booked a gp appointment so we’ll see how it goes.

Just a quick follow up had a chat with the gp and have started treatment so looking forward to things returning to normal 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Best of luck!

I'm on the Pill and haven't noticed any changes yet (turned 41 at the end of January) but my 42-year-old SiL is convinced she's been perimenopausal since just after she turned 40. She went to the doc about it a while ago and he suggested she go on the Pill for a while (she's been off it almost 10 years at this stage) and see how she feels.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what's the main difference between HRT and the Pill? Dosage? Or something else? I've been extremely lucky in that the Pill has just always completely agreed with me. I absolutely love it, have stayed on it throughout years-long single periods of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck. Hope it goes well.

I’ve no idea to be perfectly honest. Maybe it’s seen as a precursor to HRT. I was recommended the Mirena Coil a couple of years ago and I questioned it as didn’t need it for contraceptive reasons but both my GP and gynae recommended it was it would be giving me progesterone and make perimenopause symptoms milder when they hit. I found it brilliant and still have it as well as being on HRT now.

Tks dialhard and kellygirl. Not sure re the difference between the pill and HRT but dr suggested the mirena coil for progesterone with an oestrogen spray so that’s what I’ve opted for. Haven’t had it before and off the pill 20 odd years so hopefully it will be sufficient to ease symptoms.

Best of luck ! Apparently the pill over rides your natural hormones so can provide you with a steady amount of hormones . In peri your own hormones are changing a lot up and down so this would be a way to avoid the surges . Also the pill can help with heavy bleeds. However there is a lot more hormone here and it is synthetic so maybe have side effects etc that not everyone will like and won’t do the same for your long term health that bio identical hrt will .

Then a few of my friends have been given the pill and hrt . They never asked why or how it works - and Google just isn’t giving me answers !

Apparently the Mirena Coil is licensed for use as a HRT treatment as well as for contraceptive use. Dr felt it was a low dose that was localised which should have a smaller chance of negative symptoms as some people don't react well to progestrone.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm 47 and on the pill. I went to the GP recently with peri-menopause symptoms. Most are managable but the fatigue was getting to me the most.

Anyway, I could come off the pill for 6 weeks, let natural hormones settle down then get my hormones tested to see where I'm at. If it's confirmed that I'm in menopause then I've a choice to go back on the pill or go on HRT. But the GP said that the pill is a steady dose, and finding the right HRT method is trial and error, but also switching to HRT would mean sourcing an alternative contraception method anyway. I've zero issues with this pill, I've been on it 30 years now so loath to go experimenting with a contraception that might not agree with me.

I decided to keep going as I am. The fatigue could be attributed to post-covid /post viral fatigue so I started taking a tonic and after a few weeks I'm seeing a big improvement in my energy levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I'm also on HRT about a year I think. My main issue was brain fog which was affecting every.single.aspect of life. I also couldn't run, no energy, weight gain etc etc. I highly recommend @lulublue22 for the brain fog alone, my fitness will come back but the main thing is I'm feeling much better/happier in general. It took a long time for it to work but I'm really feeling the benefits of it now and knowing it will protect me against osteo and heart issues in the long term is another bonus. You might need to try a few different estrogens to get it right or you could have success on your first choice. Best of luck whatever you decide

Thanks Annie - I think peri was going on for a while I just didn’t realise it. However it really came to a head in the last 6 months-and I couldn’t go on the way I was. I think from reading the replies that I need to temper my expectations a bit - I’m very much oh I’m on HRT now it’ll be grand 😀 mindset. I’ll just have to play it by ear.

I think you’re from Cork ??? - if you ever want to try and meet for a run( I’m very slow though) at some stage let me know. No pressure.

From Dublin, living in Mallow 😀 it's unlikely that you're as slow as me but I am back running now so hopefully fitness can resume quickly - that'd be great!

Some people see an instant improvement, for some it takes a bit longer. Looking back, I was definitely in peri for a long time and for a lot of it I thought I was losing my mind.... it's so great now that the topic is out there being discussed so hopefully others will have a much better experience and understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Have been following here & only getting a chance to comment. I am on my 3rd month of HRT, it has defo helped with a lot of the symptoms but not others so giving it till the end of the month & might suggest a higher dosage to my doctor. I have the coil in so only need the patch for the progesterone, I have had the coil in for years & swear by it so will keep going with that. My advise to any woman would be to go & speak to a doctor as soon as you feel it impacting your life as there is so much more awareness & knowledge out there now so no need to suffer in silence. I personally didn't know if it was grief or peri menopause as the symptoms overlap but after Christmas I knew something was different, my mood was so low, not grieve just kinda numbness or something, then the brain fog, oh god it was awful, the feeling useless & stupid. My running was affected too, really didn't have any real drive like before. Getting PB's & not being able to enjoy them because everything just felt meh... I then felt so ungrateful & wondered why I couldn't do better, it was all a vicious circle. My boobs were awful too, so sore for weeks on end, I mean pain like I never felt before, the slightest touch or even running was so painful, it has eased a bit now but they still get so sore & even the tightest most supportive bra only helps a bit. The anxiety & troubled sleeping is tough too. I listened to the RTE running podcast & the info given by Irene was brilliant, I have being reading up on so much too around nutrition & exercise, with everything pointing towards strength training which I'm gonna get back into. The stats were quite stark too in running for women going through menopause... So for Dublin marathon last year just 23% of runners aged 45 & over were female. From a body composition perspective we are dropping muscle, so we are losing muscle at a rate of 8% per decade from 40-65, after that it drops 15%. We also can lose up to 20% of our bone density in those menopause years which ultimately increases our risks of injuries. HRT is medication that mimics the female hormones oestrogen and progesterone. It can be used to help manage symptoms of the menopause and to strengthen bones. It can help to prevent osteoporosis in the years around the menopause. Another interesting thing is that hormonal changes mean women of this age don't recognise thirst in the same way & can end up dehydrated very quickly & unintentionally, where a 2% drop in hydration can decrease performance by 6%. There really is so much info out there & I think it's trial & error for any woman but asking for help & support is the first step.

100% ☝️

@Laineyfrecks try starflower oil for breast pain, I had a similar experience to you, the pain was unreal, a week on the starflower oil and it subsided. I got the info from the Irish Menopause FB group which is a great resource. It's worth a try anyway.

@Laineyfrecks the thirst thing is so me I’m never thirsty - and I’m like nope drink to thirst that’s what hal Higdon says lol . Now I’m trying to make a habit of drinking water but I don’t love it .

Anxiety was the worst symptom for me - and the quickest to go away thankfully . Hope I never feel like that again .

More HRT isn’t always the answer so be careful , I went up , changed from patch to gel , changed back to patch , went down a dose and then back down again lol . Now I seem to be in my happy spot but I think until I’m gone past menopause there will always be ups and downs . My boobs only got really sore on HRT. Strange how we are all so different .

Cheers will defo give it a go, anything at all that helps!

I'm similar with thirst so I just try have water near me when i'm working etc.

Yeah I had heard a few recommending the gel over the patch but my doc thought the patch was best to start off with, as I say it's early days so will see how it goes! Thanks for the feed back.

There are different gels too. I started with Oestrogel, when there was a shortage I switched to Divigel and stuck with it as it suits me much better. It will be trial and error like anything I suppose.

Agree with you both re water, I am rarely thirsty and you've both just reminded me I've gotten out of the habit of having a water bottle on my desk..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

I've been reading here for a while too and contemplating posting but didn't feel I have much to add but this has triggered with me A. I've been burying my head in the sand as really I have very few physical symptoms (fortunately) but the brain fog is something else. I took on a new role in work last March, 12 months ago now, and it's been the most challenging/stressful year of my life. Most of the time I am barely functioning enough to keep my life outside of work together never mind learning new skills in role with much more pressure & visibility than I had previously. I've been in denial because it was timed with the change of role so I've been putting it down to maybe I got lazy and complacent in the last few years and that is why I am struggling but honestly it has to be more than that. I sit in meetings and tell the team I will do a certain task straight after the meeting and half an hour later someone could ask me how I got on with said task and I wouldn't have a clue what they are talking about, literally no clue... I am going around with more diaries and notebooks than ever and still forgetting what I've to do. The lid of our tea pot went missing at the weekend and I had to admit that I could very easily have put it in the bin or it may turn up in the most random places, I remember seeing it and thinking why is it there but I don't have a clue what I did with it next but it has vanished now and it was a bloody good teapot too to make matters worse 😂 Lately I can't remember my friends' kids names, little things like that that I am usually really good with. It's a constant feeling of fuzziness in my head.

@Laineyfrecks I listened to that RTE Podcast too, it was very informative, I'd love to do one of her Workshops. That fact around thirst was startling - I definitely don't drink enough so now will have to add that as another thing to do consciously even if I'm not thirsty.

Post edited by ariana` on

@ariana` I was exactly like that work wise , sometimes I couldn’t even string a sentence together loosing my train of thought mid sentence . Things that would normally take me mins to figure out was taking hours. I’m always scatty as hell so no change there .I was anxious about work ( even though not a stressful job) and started stressing over small things . Also I was getting so irritated with people - my tolerance level tanked . ( I’d like to say irrationally irritated lol but nope).

This did clear up fairly sharpish with HRT . Still scatty though. I’ve actually forgotten half the symptoms until you guys are bringing it up so that’s a great sign!

I wonder would I have kept my head in the sand for longer If I was able to run. running is always a trigger for me to go to the doctor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

OK i've no experience (yet) with perimenopause etc but I know B12 deficiency can also contribute to symptoms like that, assume you've also had bloods done? Sorry if all already looked at!

Thanks. I have had a lot of bloods done in the last year because I've had a lot of issues with low iron and high bilirubin. But I know not everything is checked as part of routine bloods because some tests are more expensive and you have to request them specifically so I must check out the B12. I take Pharmaton daily multivitamin and a separate iron supplement as I really have a problem keeping my iron levels up.

Another one to check is Vit D, mine was very low when checked before I went for HRT and apparently we should all be taking it all year round this far north.

I'm really sorry to hear you've been struggling. It's really awful and although we are talking about it a bit more, it's still not enough and we are all just trying to figure our way through. I have a few tips that I find really helpful for what it's worth (as well as the HRT). If you're not already, then do some yoga when you get up in the morning, reduce your coffee intake to one cup in the morning, give up alcohol (for a while anyway) and be extra kind to yourself, soak in the bath, go for massage/spa day every now and then. I know you have a busy life but carving out a small amount of time to allow your brain to relax will reap rewards.

I spotted this on insta earlier, rings true https://www.instagram.com/p/CqQkCycKHSD/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D.

You'll find a solution, just speak to your GP sooner rather than later.

Back on the subject of sports bras, I see Lifestyle are now offering a fitting service. I'll definitely check it out next time I'm buying.

Just something they had been bothering me recently and thought I’d share my irk ! We get vouchers in work with lifestyle and elverys both included . As a shoe addict I’m always looking for runners. So I thought I might use the vouchers to treat myself to a new super shoe ! Turns out in a lot of high street sport shops they don’t have “ fast” shoes in the women’s section . Vaporflys /Nike tempos / asics superblast in male section only. Also online if a shoe is unisex it’s only found if you look at men’s shoes .! Anyways there it is - why do they think women don’t need fast shoes . ???

Sure everyone knows women can't run fast or our wombs will fall out...

🙄🙄🙄

Anyone got any shorts recommendations? Nearly died out there today in my leggings.

• Advertisement

Advertisement