Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 stroke strimmer won't start

Options
  • 12-06-2019 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

I've a generic brand two stroke strimmer that refuses to start. If I keep at it (for a good long while), it'll turn over by itself a few times and then just die again.

I tried putting a little fuel in the combustion chamber to try kick start it and it turned over a few times and then stopped, as above.

I checked the crank and the fuel appears to be entering but the spark plug and combustion chamber always seem pretty dry.
    Should I be seeing dampness in the combustion chamber?
    Is there an easy way to test the transfer port?
    Would the transfer port get blocked up?
    Anything else you can recommend?

It hasn't been used in a year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Are you getting a strong spark? Take plug out and connect to HT lead and pull the start and see if you can see a good strong spark. I also have a generic strimmer and the original plug it came with was rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Hasn't been used in a year did it still have fuel in it and how old was the 2 Stroke mix that you put in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Get some carb cleaner.
    Take off the air filter and spray the carb cleaner in.

Should start and shift whatever funk is causing problems in the carb.

If you feel competent there are videos on YouTube you could strip and clean the carb, but you could try the above first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

dar_cool wrote: »
    Are you getting a strong spark? Take plug out and connect to HT lead and pull the start and see if you can see a good strong spark. I also have a generic strimmer and the original plug it came with was rubbish

I'll check that - thanks.
    my3cents wrote: »
    Hasn't been used in a year did it still have fuel in it and how old was the 2 Stroke mix that you put in it?
    There was a small amount of mix left in it from the year before. I've put a new mix in it now.
    _Brian wrote: »
    Get some carb cleaner.
    Take off the air filter and spray the carb cleaner in.

Should start and shift whatever funk is causing problems in the carb.

If you feel competent there are videos on YouTube you could strip and clean the carb, but you could try the above first.

I'll pick up some carb cleaner and try that.

Thanks all. Very userful posts as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Transfer port has nothing to do with the starting of a two stroke they move the mix from the crankcase to the combustion chamber.
    I would say that your problem is fuel related, either the jets are blocked or corroded from lying up with petrol mix or the induction diaphragm has been damaged from sitting and gone hard and isn't pumping fuel, check the fuel lines as well, these can go porous with ethanol and age.

A carb rebuild kit is probably a good starting point, kits are cheap but if you don't feel up to it then a new carb is nearly as cheap as the kits
    Is it a Walbro Tillotson or Zama carb?

• Advertisement
Advertisement