Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fizik Shoes

Options
  • 12-06-2019 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Looking for advice on shoes .

Newbie but gathering miles fast . Hills and climbing main interests . Using a pair of Shimanos old and worn , foot was heating but has got used to stiffness .

Seen good prices on Fizik Shoes

R4 Boa for 160 in local bike shop but seen a pair of R1 Infinito online for 184 . Is their any disadvantage to the dearer carbon show being too stiff or too advanced for a relative novice ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

tomred1N wrote: »

Newbie but gathering miles fast . Hills and climbing main interests . Using a pair of Shimanos old and worn , foot was heating but has got used to stiffness .

R4 Boa for 160 in local bike shop but seen a pair of R1 Infinito online for 184 . Is their any disadvantage to the dearer carbon show being too stiff or too advanced for a relative novice ?

Unless your putting out serious wattage/power your not going to notice any difference between them. I’m a lightweight spinner with an FTP of roughly 150 and my shoes have a sole stiffness of 14 which I believe is near enough as stiff as it gets and there’s bugger all difference in them and another pair I have which have a stiffness rating of 10.

Get the ones you like the look of or fit you best.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

tomred1N wrote: »

Fit over all. You don't want to cycle in good looking bad fitting shoes. Trust me. Make sure that Fizik shoes will fit first and then start thinking about your dillema. Personally I would go for R1 as quality is top notch and they should last. Mine have 3yrs and looks pretty much new but I'm not cycling that much and have 3 pairs :).

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

What's the shop on line that is selling the r1 for 184 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Thanks all.

Merlin have red version R1 at 184. I like the white blue Movistar for 221 though. Still seems good discount but I’m only cycling with two months due to running injury so know little about anything gear wise .

Tried on the Navy R4 in LBS size 44 and they were comfortable. 160 in shop , 142 online .
    Also tried the R1 Infinito but only in size 47 so didn’t get a good feel for the fit. I am thinking though that I should be fine in size 44 as well in these ?

Just ordered a Canyon Ultimate CF 8.0 in Movistar colors this evening so red shoes are out now ! From running I know the benefit of proper shoes so it’s something I’d invest in. A lot of stuff I have got in aldi / sports direct like tops , gloves , shorts but I value my feet more !

Need shoes assp though as I need to give back the pair I borrowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Buy them in the shop ,for the sake of €18 I would . Especially as your buying a bike online at least then you have a connection with your lbs who you may need to service it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

if you used the shop as a try on service then buy them there. very unfair to use the shop to plug the gap online shopping can't provide then go and buy somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Always better to try on in a shop (and buy them there as it's very cheeky not too after they go to the trouble of helping you out) as shoes can be narrow fitting, particularly Fizik. I have a pair five years now and they're still in good shape but I have to keep the straps, particularly the lower strap near the toes at a wide opening as I have a broad foot. In my early days of using them, I was getting pins and needles in my toes and the dreaded "hot spot" under the ball of my foot as I had the shoes on too tight cutting off circulation as my foot expanded as it got hotter. I could have gone back and looked for a wider pair but the loosening of the straps worked. The Fizik shoes have no signs of wear and tear despite plenty of use in all weather over five years........but when I change them, I will get a wider pair of shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Thanks , I’ve bought quite a bit from this particular shop over the years in relation to running gear and vouchers etc . With the R4 for 18 euro extra I’d buy in the shop. However they don’t have the R1 in my size and it’s 350 odd euro anyway. They are 219 online in a color I like.

Therefore I’m only looking to confirm if R1 sizing is similar to R4. At 219 I think I’ll nearly order them and return them if necessary.

If an online business is making a loss flogging them at 219 I have no issue helping to close them down ASAP !

Advertisement