Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice regarding car change of ownership

Options
  • 12-06-2019 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just wondering if there's anything I can do regarding the following situation (without going into too many details and yes, I'm aware it shouldn't have been allowed to happen, but hindsight advice doesn't help).

Years ago, my mum got rid of her car by selling it to a family friend. To make a long story much shorter, we found out recently that the car is still registered to her. It's possible the VRC may have been handed over as the new "owner" bought and sold cars and may not have wanted the extra change of ownership to go on the VRC (details are hazy this far down the line). There are no offences piling up or anything like that, but I would like to force a transfer of ownership if could, to get it out of my mum's name.

What option do I have here, without going to the guy who has the car now, as I wouldn't trust him as far as I'd throw him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That is a pickle
    The easiest is to get hold of the current logbook and fill it out properly.
    Another option is to get a replacement logbook and then make changes in that.

In both cases the new guy will get a notification, so you may as well bite the bullet and hound him for the current logbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

As above, fill out form, send off with€12 and new VLC in the post to your mum.

Fill out new owner details and send back freepost to Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

biko wrote: »
    That is a pickle
    The easiest is to get hold of the current logbook and fill it out properly.
    Another option is to get a replacement logbook and then make changes in that.

In both cases the new guy will get a notification, so you may as well bite the bullet and hound him for the current logbook.

in the second case the only notification they will get is the new logbook dropping through their letterbox. not much they can do then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,557 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

As above, fill out form, send off with€12 and new VLC in the post to your mum.

Fill out new owner details and send back freepost to Shannon

Great advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Cheers lads , I thought that might be the best option all right, just wanted to check I wasn't missing a better one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

If it really was 'years ago' that this happened then it's a fairly safe bet that this car is no longer on the road....unless your man put the details from a crashed (or mechanically fecked) onto your mother's car. He can't have sold it without a VLC, and any request for a replacement would have been notified to the registered owner.

Other option is that he broke it for parts.

I wouldn't rush into applying for a replacement VLC just yet. Your mother will have to sign a declaration in front of a Guard stating that she still has the car and lost the VLC. If this 'friend' is a bit of a Chancer and a fresh VLC arrives at his place he could create a 'situation' for your mother.
    There is a procedure whereby she can inform Shannon that she sold the car on a certain date, etc. and is no longer the owner.

She will have to sign a form stating that she sold it, stamped by a peace commissioner/solicitor . But she will also need to provide the name and address of the guy she sold it to on this form. At least this way she needn't worry about making a false declaration.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    If it really was 'years ago' that this happened then it's a fairly safe bet that this car is no longer on the road....unless your man put the details from a crashed (or mechanically fecked) onto your mother's car. He can't have sold it without a VLC, and any request for a replacement would have been notified to the registered owner.

I wouldn't rush into applying for a replacement VLC just yet. Your mother will have to sign a declaration in front of a Guard stating that she still has the car and lost the VLC. If this 'friend' is a bit of a Chancer and a fresh VLC arrives at his place he could create a 'situation' for your mother.
    There is a procedure whereby she can inform Shannon that she sold the car on a certain date, etc. and is no longer the owner.

She will have to sign a form stating that she sold it, stamped by a peace commissioner/solicitor . But she will also need to provide the name and address of the guy she sold it to on this form. At least this way she needn't worry about making a false declaration.

Put date of sale on it.... Doing absolutely nothing wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

She would be applying for a replacement VLC for a car she sold years ago.

http://www.donegalcoco.ie/media/donegalcountyc/motortax/pdfs/RF134.pdf

The VLC wasn't "lost/stolen/destroyed". She knows exactly who has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

mgbgt1978 wrote: »

The RF134 form doesn't say anything about her having to declare she still has the car. She's still the registered owner, if the guy she gave the cert to lost it, which is very possible at this stage, she would have to request the replacement anyway, I'd imagine.

Do you have a link to the procedure you mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

blastman wrote: »
    The RF134 form doesn't say anything about her having to declare she still has the car. She's still the registered owner, if the guy she gave the cert to lost it, which is very possible at this stage, she would have to request the replacement anyway, I'd imagine.

Do you have a link to the procedure you mentioned?

just get to complete the rf134, send it to shannon, fill out the change of ownership and send that back to shannon. the car will then be nothing to do with her.

• Advertisement
Advertisement