Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge threatens to summons head of Residential Tenancies Board to resolve row between

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Snigger!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Why is anyone surprised?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭rightmove

Why is anyone surprised?

Bringing him in when the tenants are affected by the judgement I notice

rightmove wrote: »

Its more the complete and utter disdain they have for their own due process and procedures- and their unwillingness to engage with people's solicitors when legitimate and valid correspondence is sent to them......

Yes- in this instance its the tenants who are affected- however, given the deficiencies its highlighting- it is just as likely that a landlord could end up in the exact same position.

The judge is highlighting the RTB as a law unto themselves- and not answerable to anyone- tenants, landlords, solicitors or anyone else- they do as they choose, without fear of reprecussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

Its more the complete and utter disdain they have for their own due process and procedures- and their unwillingness to engage with people's solicitors when legitimate and valid correspondence is sent to them......

Yes- in this instance its the tenants who are affected- however, given the deficiencies its highlighting- it is just as likely that a landlord could end up in the exact same position.

The judge is highlighting the RTB as a law unto themselves- and not answerable to anyone- tenants, landlords, solicitors or anyone else- they do as they choose, without fear of reprecussion.

Yes and no

They are ultimately answerable to the Courts. Their adjudications/determination Orders and Tribunal are subject to appeal on a point of law and where appropriate Judicial Review.

They are however quite difficult to deal with - bureaucratic, inefficient and indulgent towards tenants

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I am aware of situations where an Estate Agent registered a letting on behalf ofg the landlord. Subsequently the landlord was contacted by the PRTB and told the tenancy was not registered. The agent almost lost the business of several landlords over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

That seems a very stupid thing to do.
    4ensic15 wrote: »
    I am aware of situations where an Estate Agent registered a letting on behalf ofg the landlord. Subsequently the landlord was contacted by the PRTB and told the tenancy was not registered. The agent almost lost the business of several landlords over it.

percy212 wrote: »
    That seems a very stupid thing to do.

Why?
    Its normal for agents to register tenancies on behalf of landlords- its part of the business they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

rightmove wrote: »

These are reposession/eviction proceedings, which are being delayed while issues are considered by RTB.

In fact the tenants are benefiting from the delays by the RTB in this case, causing the RTB to hurry up by threatening to summons the CEO is in aid of the Bank, not the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭rightmove

Fian wrote: »
    These are reposession/eviction proceedings, which are being delayed while issues are considered by RTB.

In fact the tenants are benefiting from the delays by the RTB in this case, causing the RTB to hurry up by threatening to summons the CEO is in aid of the Bank, not the tenant.

I can see merit in this point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Why?
    Its normal for agents to register tenancies on behalf of landlords- its part of the business they do.

Yeah, but they didn't do it. :)
    I think that was the part they were referring to as stupid.

accensi0n wrote: »
    Yeah, but they didn't do it. :)
    I think that was the part they were referring to as stupid.

My reading was that they *did* register the tenancies- but the RTB screwed up the registrations (as they seem to habitually do).

My reading was that they *did* register the tenancies- but the RTB screwed up the registrations (as they seem to habitually do).

The tenancies were registered. The agent had receipts to prove it. Novertheless the RTB contacted landlords claiming the tenancies were not registered. It happened on a number of occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Re RTB, I am unable to access a dispute for days now. Some sort of problem with the website. Not defined, but am stuck just the same.

Rubbish. RTB is not fit for purpose as it should be user friendly for both tenant and landlord.

A trip to a Dail Committee seems to be warranted. After all, we as taxpayers whether renters or owners should be justified in expecting a good service, whether it turns out in our favour or not.

The entire RTB should be summoned to court. They should have concrete shoes fitted and then should be brought for a walk in a very soft place.

Advertisement