Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU display issues

Options
  • 12-06-2019 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a young fellow who has a problem with his computer. The monitor cut to black on him last night and can't seem to get anything displayed on his pc.

Its a DVI connection he uses, he used a spare monitor to test if it was the monitor causing the issue but nothing was displaying on that either. He also took the DVI cable out and used it on my own pc and monitor to check if its the cable causing the problem but it worked fine.

The issue seems to be that his graphics card is not displaying anything anymore. Everything turns on fine, the card itself seems to go since the fans are running but nothing displays. There are 2 DVI ports on the card, he has tried both and there is also a HDMI slot, he has tried that also. He also opened up his computer and tried making sure that there were no loose wires or anything wrong with it, but still it didn't work after that.

Is there anything else he could try to get it working again? He's currently unemployed so he does not have the money to flush out on a replacement or a new pc anytime soon and would rather avoid a PC repair shop for now.

His specs are

Intel Core i5-4460 Processor
    XFX AMD Radeon R9 280 3GB
    Gigabyte Z97P-D3 Intel LGA1150 Z97 ATX Motherboard
    Corsair CXM430 ATX/EPS Semi-Modular 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply Unit, 430 W

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Any change the BIOS has defaulted to the onboard GPU instead of the Radeon R9? Has he tried connect directly to the motherboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

advertsfox wrote: »
    Any change the BIOS has defaulted to the onboard GPU instead of the Radeon R9? Has he tried connect directly to the motherboard?
    Thanks for the reply. I know nothing to very little about these things but the son would know a wee bit more and he's out at the moment. But how would he check the BIOS or even how would he connect directly to the motherboard?

Im just asking in advance in case he doesnt know how when he gets back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

It appear to have HDMI connection only

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z97P-D3-rev-10#ov

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Remove the graphics card entirely, switch the power off at the wall, hold power button for 30s, then connect a HDMI monitor and restore power, try to turn on.

Okay, just to reply to the previous posts which are most welcome btw.

So the BIOS cannot be seen without graphics / display which is the problem so that suggestion cant be followed through on.

He tried connecting the HDMI cable directly to the motherboard but nothing happened.

As per suggestion from ED E he is currently removing the graphics card and I'll post back shortly to confirm how that went.

Thanks all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Lately serviced self build Win7 with "no signal" on display issue on GPU and build-in - after replacing thermal on CPU (also, cleaning rest of the box) all came back to normal.

ED E wrote: »
    Remove the graphics card entirely, switch the power off at the wall, hold power button for 30s, then connect a HDMI monitor and restore power, try to turn on.
    Bingo, that worked. :)

Only question now is what does he do with the graphics card? Just put it back in its original slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

muffler wrote: »

Only question now is what does he do with the graphics card? Just put it back in its original slot?

You can try, but if it doesn't work there's a reasonable chance the GPU died.

Remember when GPU is in - Display cable to it.
    When GPU is out - display cable to motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Check the bios now the card is out. Make sure it's set to PCI-e as the default then exit the bios, shut down and put the card back in. Check the card itself for a physical button that switches between GPU bioses and try both states.

If there's still nothing try the card in another machine. If it doesn't work it's the card. If it does then it could be the power supply or cables supplying the card or even the PCI-e slot itself.

It's probably the card though. The 280's were clocked pretty high out of the box and are more likely to fail with age as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's an old enough card as well, so I'd say it's just dead.

Best replacement would be a 2nd hand RX570, those go for about 90-100 2nd hand on adverts. Can even get RX580 for 110-120.

Even a new RX570 is only about 140 delivered with free games at the moment and is a very decent upgrade.

• Advertisement

Simi wrote: »
    Check the bios now the card is out. Make sure it's set to PCI-e as the default then exit the bios, shut down and put the card back in. Check the card itself for a physical button that switches between GPU bioses and try both states.

If there's still nothing try the card in another machine. If it doesn't work it's the card. If it does then it could be the power supply or cables supplying the card or even the PCI-e slot itself.

It's probably the card though. The 280's were clocked pretty high out of the box and are more likely to fail with age as a result.
    He checked out the bios and was already set to PCI-e, put it back in but no luck with it. I imagine the card is just dead at this point.

It's an old enough card as well, so I'd say it's just dead.

Best replacement would be a 2nd hand RX570, those go for about 90-100 2nd hand on adverts. Can even get RX580 for 110-120.

Even a new RX570 is only about 140 delivered with free games at the moment and is a very decent upgrade.
    I was looking up the RX570 for him and saw different brands, all of which are priced differently. The card he had was XFX, should he look at XFX again or is there a better one to go for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would just get the cheapest one to maximise value. On OCUK right now the Asrock Phantom and Asus Expedition are both £109. I'd look for reviews for either and make a choice. With two new free games (Division 2 and World War Z) that is a killer deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

I would just get the cheapest one to maximise value. On OCUK right now the Asrock Phantom and Asus Expedition are both £109. I'd look for reviews for either and make a choice. With two new free games (Division 2 and World War Z) that is a killer deal.

The expedition is price matched on Amazon, but OOS until 20th June ASUS EX-RX570-O4G Radeon RX 570 Expedition Graphics Card (4 GB GDDR5/PCI Express 3.0/1256 MHz - 1266 MHz/7000 MHz) - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071YL98NM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_D-3aDb5HCMHQ2
    It also includes the games promotion.

Just a wee update. He bought, as recommended, the RX570 card from Overclockers and was able to fit it himself this afternoon and everything is flying again. First class service from the sellers. Order was placed just before 3 PM last Friday and was delivered by courier just after noon today.

Thanks everyone for all the help, ideas, suggestions etc. Very much appreciated. :)

Just a wee update. He bought, as recommended, the RX570 card from Overclockers and was able to fit it himself this afternoon and everything is flying again. First class service from the sellers. Order was placed just before 3 PM last Friday and was delivered by courier just after noon today.

Thanks everyone for all the help, ideas, suggestions etc. Very much appreciated. :)

I get all my stuff from Overclockers. Outstanding company.

Advertisement