Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pro14 Season 2019-2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Are both Semi-Finals on Friday at 5pm?

pro14.rugby/match-centre/2020/16

Seems like a bizarre choice :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

yerrahbah wrote: »

No, one will be on Friday and one on Saturday.

Leinster will almost certainly be at home on Friday however as the Irish football team are playing Finland on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

yerrahbah wrote: »

Say its just a placeholder. I think ko of 7.30 on Friday has been floated. Maybe 5 on Saturday alright

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Eod100 wrote: »
    Say its just a placeholder. I think ko of 7.30 on Friday has been floated. Maybe 5 on Saturday alright

Placeholder- that's not a TV friendly time, will be a Saturday.

Placeholder- that's not a TV friendly time, will be a Saturday.

The thinking is that Leinster v Munster will be Friday night as Ireland football match playing in Aviva on Sunday and need more turnaround than usual with covid. Then other semi on the Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,108 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

when is the 20/21 season due to start ?

If Oct/Nov it will be without the internationals

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Friday 7:35 for Leinsters semi final. Saturday 7:35 for Edinburgh v Ulster. Did anybody actually watch the match last night? Eir advertised the times umpteen times during the game.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    when is the 20/21 season due to start ?

If Oct/Nov it will be without the internationals

The weekend of Oct 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,108 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wouldn't surprise me if its a Leinster vs Ulster grand final

Edinburgh hot and cold
    Leinster will still be too good for Munster I think but you never know. Love for Munster to win it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

Is the mun v conn highlights showing later on any channels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

degsie wrote: »
    Is the mun v conn highlights showing later on any channels?

Don't do it. Do anything else but watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me if its a Leinster vs Ulster grand final

Edinburgh hot and cold
    Leinster will still be too good for Munster I think but you never know. Love for Munster to win it

Edinburgh won 3 more games in the league this season than Ulster. The only game they lost at home was to Glasgow this weekend when they couldn't be caught at the top of the conference. They won away from home 3 times, including against Munster and Scarlets. Ulster only won away from home once, against the Kings. Edinburghs losses this season were away to Glasgow, away to Leinster, away to Benetton that home loss to Glasgow. Before the home loss to Glasgow they were on a 6 game streak in the league.

Hot and cold is def not something that can be used to describe Edinburgh this season. Topping their conference is reward for that. They have to be favourites to win next week.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

molloyjh wrote: »
    Edinburgh won 3 more games in the league this season than Ulster. The only game they lost at home was to Glasgow this weekend when they couldn't be caught at the top of the conference. They won away from home 3 times, including against Munster and Scarlets. Ulster only won away from home once, against the Kings. Edinburghs losses this season were away to Glasgow, away to Leinster, away to Benetton that home loss to Glasgow. Before the home loss to Glasgow they were on a 6 game streak in the league.

Hot and cold is def not something that can be used to describe Edinburgh this season. Topping their conference is reward for that. They have to be favourites to win next week.

Ah you can't really compare that sort of stuff this season given how much of a mess it was.

Ulster had to play Leinster away twice this year for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Edinburgh strong favourites to beat Ulster but it is a semi final and if Ulster can raise their game significantly from the mediocrity of last 2 weekends they can upset the odds. If it were a regular season game (although Ulster have a reasonable record at Murrayfield recently) I would say its a foregone conclusion for the home side but I think Ulster can make a match of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »
    Ah you can't really compare that sort of stuff this season given how much of a mess it was.

Agreed, just making the point that Edinburgh haven't been hot and cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

awec wrote: »

Regardless of having to play Leinster in Dublin twice. The only team that Ulster have beaten away from home this season is the Kings. Embra will provide a stiffer challenge than that, even on an off day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I'd be quite confident if we weren't missing Henderson, Addison, Baloucoune, Marshall and Ready.

Did Edinburgh furlough as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'd be quite confident if we weren't missing Henderson, Addison, Baloucoune, Marshall and Ready.

Did Edinburgh furlough as well?

Probably.. but I think that excuse is overblown. Anyway next week will be the third game back so the cobwebs should be gone. The second half yesterday was a lot more encouraging so we will see.

Mind you I'm still coming to terms with the phase of play where Cooney got crap ball off a lineout, shovelled the ball out to McCloskey who dropped it and then ended up with Faddes slicing the ball into touch. A club 3s would get a bollocking for that sort of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

What happens with next season if travel restrictions and 14 day self isolation are still in place? Italian teams could obviously travel here as Italy is on the green list, but not Welsh/Scottish teams, and maybe not even Italian teams if they have played an away game in the UK within 14 days of a game here. Irish teams could travel to Italy but not the UK.

Could we see "home" games for Leinster/Munster/Connacht played in Ravenhill? An early season schedule of interpros and home/away games vs the Italians, and hope travel restrictions are eased by Christmas?

• Advertisement

It's been discussed already. There seems to be exemptions for elite sports. The Irish football team play in Bulgaria on Thursday then return to play Finland in Dublin on Sunday.

And as it is there are cross border games this season. If Edinburgh beat Ulster then they'll more than likely be travelling to Dublin for the final. Saracens are due in Dublin in 3 weeks for the CC quarter final. Neither team will be self isolating for 14 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭crisco10

It's been discussed already. There seems to be exemptions for elite sports. The Irish football team play in Bulgaria on Thursday then return to play Finland in Dublin on Sunday.

And as it is there are cross border games this season. If Edinburgh beat Ulster then they'll more than likely be travelling to Dublin for the final. Saracens are due in Dublin in 3 weeks for the CC quarter final. Neither team will be self isolating for 14 days.

Probably acceptable because they are getting tested so frequently and not only when they become symptomatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

Great win for Ulster!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭connachta

Leinster will win in the end no matter who..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

connachta wrote: »
    Leinster will win in the end no matter who..

Don't agree. 6 months ago I reckon they were unbeatable but things shift a little and they don't have that edge. I think Edinburgh could have caused them some issues but Uster not so much.

Would it be sometime next week fixtures for next season might be out if they're starting on 3rd October?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Pro 14 team of the season has been released. Glad to see Deegan and Connors there. Both had proper breakthrough seasons.

Caelan Doris also won Young Player of the year.

15. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh)
    14. Monty Ioane (Benetton)
    13. Rey Lee-Lo (Cardiff Blues)
    12. Stuart McCloskey (Ulster)
    11. Duhan van der Merwe (Edinburgh)
    10. Jaco van der Walt (Edinburgh)
    9. John Cooney (Ulster)
    1. Pierre Schoeman (Edinburgh)
    2. Joseph Dweba (Cheetahs)
    3. Leon Brown (Dragons)
    4. Scott Fardy (Leinster)
    5. Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh)
    6. Max Deegan (Leinster)
    7. Will Connors (Leinster)
    8. Bill Mata (Edinburgh)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Richard Cockerill Coach of Year
    Duhan van der Merwe Players player of the Year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭crisco10

Richard Cockerill Coach of Year
    Duhan van der Merwe Players player of the Year

Harsh on Leo! If Leinster suffered on the team of the year because of heavy rotation, surely Leo should be rewarded for managing all those moving pieces!

Appreciate it can't be a Leinster fest though.

Leocaster is a bit like Bill Belichick. He's the Coach of the Year 90 percent of the time but you can't give him the award every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Leocaster is a bit like Bill Belichick. He's the Coach of the Year 90 percent of the time but you can't give him the award every year!

Cullen will never rest until he gets the recognition he craves. This is what drives Leinster. His single coach of the year trophy is lonely. Leinster not winning Player of the Year once in the past decade feeds the ambition of this squad.

Medals come and go, Pro14 end of season gestures last forever.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

A question for those worried about the competitiveness of the league and its meritocracy because of this.

Would you be happy with the four springbok super rugby team joining if it meant the addition of at least two possible title contenders?? And the other two capable of taking points off top teams.

The flip side of course meaning that it's would make it much harder for the ulster / munster / Edinburgh type teams to get the silverware??
    (and before anyone gets the hump, I just chose them as the other semi finalists)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

sydthebeat wrote: »
    A question for those worried about the competitiveness of the league and its meritocracy because of this.

Would you be happy with the four springbok super rugby team joining if it meant the addition of at least two possible title contenders?? And the other two capable of taking points off top teams.

The flip side of course meaning that it's would make it much harder for the ulster / munster / Edinburgh type teams to get the silverware??
    (and before anyone gets the hump, I just chose them as the other semi finalists)

Did you forget to include the paragraph where you list the negatives to this idea? :pac:

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yes, I’d be happy.

There's no negatives if we have more contenders in the league.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah, bringing in new teams isn't the problem. It's bringing in bad new teams that's the problem.

The Kings averaged 0.73 league points per game, out of their 55 games they got 40 points, even Aironi managed more than that. Aironi got 0.77 league points per game.

Zebre would be and around 1 league point per game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Personally I'm more in favor of a two tier system. The conference format dilutes things for me.

Personally I'm more in favor of a two tier system. The conference format dilutes things for me.
    Two tier doesnt help anyone really. You will reduce derbies which are only games that get bigger crowds for a lot of teams. Why is that a good thing.
    Conferences is far better than tiered set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭connachta

Get rid of Zebre (if contract with Italian federation permit it..) and merge Ospreys/other Welsh ASAP and have a a real Pro14 (including 4 Saffers) with all home and away games...

Is that not like asking a team in the second tier of whatever competition or sport they are playing whether they are sure they want to be promoted as the top tier will be harder.

We should all welcome more competitive sides in the Pro 'X'

Get rid of Zebre (if contract with Italian federation permit it..) and merge Ospreys/other Welsh ASAP and have a a real Pro14 (including 4 Saffers) with all home and away games...

As a Connacht fan I'd be careful what you wish for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

26 games

When do you propose the additional 5 games get played?

No. We cant and should never do what french are doing with 26 games. I assume you want playoffs as well?
    What about european cup?

Ah lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

I'd hate to see the Zebs being kicked out! One of Leinster's closest (and thus more enjoyable) games last season was our epic 3 - 0 win in Parma back in October! For me they're an improving side who managed to win away in both Treviso and the Dragons (who they did the double over) last season. They also deprived Ulster of the 4 try bonus point in Ravinghill!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You mean to tell me that one man and his dog in the stands is not enough to keep a pro rugby team going?? I'm aghast.

Writing was on the wall unfortunately. Looks like Pro14 will be back to Pro12 for another while then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭OldRio

Advertisement