Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New gaming build

Options
  • 12-06-2019 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Its been 8 years since my last build so I think I am past due an upgrade.

Looking for a gaming machine in around 800 euro

All I have to carry from the old build is a 2k monitor (60hz) and the mouse.
    I will carry the hdd but will probably need more storage as its only a 1tb

Hoping to do the research and click go in the next few weeks. Reckon I would be better off waiting for the new ryzens?

Also looking for the case to be smaller than my current machine if possible, as its just too big in the office that I have.

Its a Corsair Grahpite 600T, Dimensions: 20″ (H) x 23.3″ (L) x 10.4″ (W) – (507mm x 592mm x 265mm)

Any recommendations in what I should be looking at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£160.00)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler (£20.28 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI - B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard (£84.90 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£75.79 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Corsair - MP510 480 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£62.90)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB XC BLACK GAMING Video Card (£209.85 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Fractal Design - Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case (£47.98 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£59.04 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £720.74
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-12 23:42 BST+0100

Something like this should be OK - the motherboard is decent enough for fast 6-core.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Thanks k.o.kiki. That looks nice

I forgot to mention that I need some wireless connectivity. Am I better off getting a card, usb or built into the motherboard(would consider this outside the 800 budget so could raise the motherboard a bit if needed)
    From what I see some people recommend going pcie so you can upgrade easily

I'd look into Homeplugs, will always have better latency than wi-fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

For gaming WiFi will do your head in. Random ping spikes and disconnects. As above get homeplugs also known as power line adapters for your Internet needs.

Simple, plug on in beside your router, one by your PC, plug Ethernet cable going from router into first plug, then another Ethernet cable from the second into the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Agreed on the powerline stuff. Powerline is the way to go if you can't run actual CAT5/CAT6 cables throughout your house easily.

I have ran my Server & Desktop through a Powerline adapter for the last few years. It's been pretty much flawless since Day 1.

You won't get a Gigabit through the Powerline network, but you don't need a Gigabit for gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Just going to pile on the Powerline/Homeplug bandwagon here. A desktop will always be beside a plug and your router will always be beside a plug - hence powerline is a piece of cake and FAR superior to wifi. Well worth the 60 odd quid OP. I also have them running in my house flawlessly for years.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

For homeplugs, I would recommend getting ones with passthrough. Plug your devices into the passthrough point and do not use any plug sockets beside the homeplug. It actually does make a difference to speeds.

On the homeplugs.
    I have an old set of tp links but they like to randomly cut off. (No change in electrical usage in the house at the time). Switching the power socket off and on reconnects.

Is this still something that happens with newer ones. Or should I be looking at another brand?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Connavar wrote: »
    On the homeplugs.
    I have an old set of tp links but they like to randomly cut off. (No change in electrical usage in the house at the time). Switching the power socket off and on reconnects.

Is this still something that happens with newer ones. Or should I be looking at another brand?

It could be anything. It could be a fault with the homeplugs or just something specific to the wiring in your house that causes them to lose connection and it will affect a new set if you were to buy one. I'd say it's likely just a fault with the homeplugs you have and a new set would work fine. Impossible to tell though, without trying a new set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

On the homeplugs.

I had 1 pair die recently after 7 years of use. Was doing the same, randomly dropping connection.

• Advertisement

Hey guys.
    With the price drop in and CPUs do ye think the rx5700 is worth switching in?
    I know it will bring me a bit over budget
    (I should probably be a bit patient and wait for the benchmarks)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

On the homeplugs.

I also have an old set, and similar happens every now and again. I have just the pair, and powering down at the socket beside the PC fixes it.

I have this set
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00LV41PO4?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Hey guys.
    With the price drop in and CPUs do ye think the rx5700 is worth switching in?
    I know it will bring me a bit over budget
    (I should probably be a bit patient and wait for the benchmarks)

The RX 5700 is about double the performance of the GTX 1660, however the reference fan blower isn't great.
    If you're buying right now I'd consider a lower-end (£300-330 max) RTX 2060.

[PCPartPicker Part List](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/YRW3q4)

Type|Item|Price
    :----|:----|:----
    **CPU** | [AMD - Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/9nm323/amd-ryzen-5-3600-36-thz-6-core-processor-100-100000031box) | £160.00
    **CPU Cooler** | [be quiet! - Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/hyQRsY/be-quiet-pure-rock-slim-351-cfm-cpu-cooler-bk008) | £19.99 @ Amazon UK
    **Motherboard** | [MSI - B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/3YhKHx/msi-b450-gaming-plus-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-gaming-plus) | £79.97 @ Amazon UK
    **Memory** | [Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/p6RFf7/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3200c16) | £71.67 @ CCL Computers
    **Storage** | [Corsair - MP510 480 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/nGzkcf/corsair-mp510-480gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-cssd-f480gbmp510) | £62.90
    **Video Card** | [Asus - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB DUAL OC Video Card](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/yg66Mp/asus-geforce-rtx-2060-6-gb-dual-oc-video-card-dual-rtx2060-o6g) | £319.94 @ AWD-IT
    **Case** | [Fractal Design - Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/ZHmxFT/fractal-design-focus-g-black-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-focus-bk-w) | £46.94 @ More Computers
    **Power Supply** | [Corsair - TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/PVzZxr/corsair-txm-gold-650w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020132-na) | £69.98 @ Box Limited
    | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |
    | **Total** | **£831.39**
    | Generated by [PCPartPicker](https://pcpartpicker.com) 2019-07-10 21:52 BST+0100 |

about to hit go on this. Had to switch the ram as I want to but from amazon uk supplier.

Anything wrong with it before i go for it?

Looking good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Is the 2060 6Gb really a good idea?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Looking good to me.

Thanks for the help specing it K.O.Kiki.
    Have it ordered now. Will post a pic when I have it done (or troubleshooting if it comes to it)

Thanks for the help specing it K.O.Kiki.
    Have it ordered now. Will post a pic when I have it done (or troubleshooting if it comes to it)

After a real pain with Amazon and revolut(they put a charge on the card twice and caused transactions to be rejected) I finally got my build together last night

What are people using to stress test these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

3dmark and use the firestrike demo

Skerries wrote: »
    3dmark and use the firestrike demo
    Thanks Skerries.
    Just ran through and temps stayed good.

Only issues i had with the build were one of the sata ports on the mb being unresponsive but i will never need more ports so im not too bothered about it.

Now to get back to playing games that even my old machine would have ran:D:D

• Advertisement

Only issues i had with the build were one of the sata ports on the mb being unresponsive but i will never need more ports so im not too bothered about it.

Because you have an NVMe SSD installed, some of the SATA ports are automatically turned off.
    RTFM! :pac:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Because you have an NVMe SSD installed, some of the SATA ports are automatically turned off.
    RTFM! :pac:
    Hahaha where is the fun in that (though granted it would have saved me a lot of frustration)

Good to know that it's not a mb issue though

Advertisement