Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best wearable watch for cycling

Options
  • 12-06-2019 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some advice with Father's day and my Dad's birthday coming up.

He is big into cycling and walking etc and is looking for a watch that will have gps, heart rate tracking etc etc.

He doesn't want a FitBit or Apple Watch and is leaning towards Garmin, but doesn't know which model is best for what he is looking for.

Grateful for any suggestions!

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Amazfit Stratos 2. I have one and it's brilliant, gps, HRM, links to Strava, Bluetooth music without phone, notifications from phone, step counter, weather forecast etc etc. And the battery lasts all week. Cost me 150e from AliExpress

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bikedude

Garmin Fenix 5 plus series. Lots of features for biking and hiking.

HR monitor on the watch and compatible with lots of Garmin sensors for the bike.

It’s the most well know multi sport GPS watch.

Have the Fenix3, and very happy with it, will upgrade to the 5plus series when I have a chance (money)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

https://theradavist.com/2019/05/makin-moves-with-the-suunto-traverse-gps-watch/

I read this review of the Suunto Traverse, seems pretty interesting. Don’t think it has heart rate tracking though.

Why is he so averse to the Apple Watch? My Dad loves his.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I bought the Garmin vivoactive 3, bought two of em actually. One for me and one for the wife and I think it's a great piece of kit. Much cheaper option if you don't have the spons for the likes of the Fenix

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭plodder

I use the Garmin 230 for running and cycling. It doesn't have a HR monitor. The version which has HR is the 235 and I see them on sale online for around €180

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭timmaii

I have the Vivoactive 3 also and find it great apart from the occasional problems reading altitude.
    fat bloke wrote: »
    I bought the Garmin vivoactive 3, bought two of em actually. One for me and one for the wife and I think it's a great piece of kit. Much cheaper option if you don't have the spons for the likes of the Fenix

• Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ive the garmin vivoactive hr for 2+ years and i love it, great for cycling, running......and golf!

Not sure what the latest generation/replacement is of they no longer make it...but i would definitely be looking for garmin again if/when this one kicks the bucket

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Depends in your budget, the Fenix 5 is the top of the range Garmin but do some research on it first, some issues with connectivity and GPS on it, enough to put me off it and move me towards the Forerunner 935. I really like the daily fitness and health metrics on the 935, whether that's of any interest is obviosuly different for everyone. Link to Fenix 5 review on DC Rainmaker here, and before you buy anything read his review of it, he's got pretty much everything covered:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/06/garmin-fenix5-plus-5s-5x-in-depth-review.html

For a higher budget I'd absolutely recomend the Garmin 935, or the newer 945. It does everything you need and a lot you don't, but it's a great watch, the form factor is perfect as well, it looks just like a watch. Slightly cheaper is the 735, that can be got on sale at decent prices lately, and as above the Vivoactive 3 HRis a very good option at the lower end of the budget scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The Garmin running watches and vivoactive range generally do most of the cycling, if you don't have a power meter.

I have a 935xt, as a hang over from when I did triathlon, which I'm generally happy with. But as I'm not really likely to use it for mapping and more in depth cycling metrics, the upgrade will be to a running watch (most likely the 245) which will cover what I use it for cycling (generally commutes where I don't have a power meter) and runs/ walks/ other activities. Albeit I have a cycling specific bike computer for other cycling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I had a vivoactive HR and loved it. Lost it though. I'm looking at getting the 3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

another vote for the fenix 5 plus, have one for 7 /8 months now, the gps is no worse than any other garmin, the optical hr can be a bit flaky for running but never misses a beat for cycling, having had a couple of garmin 9xx in the past they aren't comparable, it's a big step up to the fenix, plus it looks like a watch, not a piece of plastic on your wrist like a lot of the watches(not just garmin) do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

I have a Fenix 5x Plus and it is a fantastic watch. Picked up a Garmin Cadence sensor which straps to the crank and this works well with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Another vite for the fenix 5 no idea wat these GPS issues are I have never experienced then. The optical HR is just as good/bad as all the other watches to be honest. The one thing I'd watch ;) is that it is a large watch which your father may not like on his wrist but one of the best looking sport watches imo. I also had the fenix 3 before this and I'd still pick that over any foreruner as an everyday/sports/adventure watch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My partner got a fitbit ionic. I can understand not wanting the basic fitbits which need a phone connected all the time or are only pedometers. It stores music, records GPS, waterproof, doesn't need the phone until you want to upload data at home and it does that automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

I'm currently using a Garmin Vivosmart HR+ for my daily commute rather than bothering with the 520 and it's grand.
    However, next time I'll buy one of these I think = https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Instinct-Outdoor-Features-Monitoring/dp/B07H58KMLB/ref=sr_1_6?hvadid=80333115830149&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=garmin+instinct&qid=1560430950&s=gateway&smid=A2KVF7QXNCLV8H&sr=8-6

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭positron

plodder wrote: »
    I use the Garmin 230 for running and cycling. It doesn't have a HR monitor. The version which has HR is the 235 and I see them on sale online for around €180

I went from FR230 to Vivoactive 3 to the newly release FR245.

I thought Vivoactive 3 looked nicer than FR230 and wanted HR sensor as well, but loving the FR245 now, it is a huge improvement over both - great battery life, physical buttons, nice sleek design and overall an awesome watch.

Advertisement