Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage advice - Own Property Abroad, Would like to qualify as FTBer

Options
  • 12-06-2019 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello,

I need some advice if possible.
    I own a property in the UK which I have a mortgage on,
    I moved to Ireland last year, have an irish passport and a permanent job. My partner has lived here her whole life and is also in a permanent job.

We both have well paid jobs and can provide 6 month payslips/bank statements etc to back this up.

We are looking for a mortgage using the help to buy scheme. <SNIP> i'm not a first time buyer and i won't be eligible for a 10% deposit but a 20%.

Does anyone know any ways round this?

Thanks,

Jon

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

keep any suggestions legal please folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Two friends of mine were upfront about previous purchases and have gotten exemptions from the 20% requirement

If both your incomes are strong by Irish standards you could easily be the same.

Otherwise you run the risk of the mortgage being scuppered when your solicitor seeks drawdown of funds to complete purchase.. Not sure what happens after drawdown ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

What are you currently doing with the UK house?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

oh the help to buy scheme... I wouldn't be going into that trying to pull a fast one personally. However that's separate from the 20% deposit requirement from the central bank

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭skippy123!

I don't think it really matters if you own the property somewhere else. You are in Ireland and paying here taxes. Logically looking - help to buy is "assistance" from the state to buy yourself a home in a country you live and pay taxes. From your taxes that "pay relief" is coming from. Not a lawyer at any point but that is how I look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The assistance is for first time buyers and the OP isn't a first time buyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

skippy123! wrote: »
    I don't think it really matters if you own the property somewhere else. You are in Ireland and paying here taxes.

It does. They are specified barred from qualifying for the HTB by Revenue.

@OP your partner qualifies on her own, she can buy on her own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jonson1

What are you currently doing with the UK house?

The UK property is being rented out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jonson1

lawred2 wrote: »
    Two friends of mine were upfront about previous purchases and have gotten exemptions from the 20% requirement

If both your incomes are strong by Irish standards you could easily be the same.

Otherwise you run the risk of the mortgage being scuppered when your solicitor seeks drawdown of funds to complete purchase.. Not sure what happens after drawdown ...

Thanks, I just spoke to BoI who came into our offices, they said they can get the 20% bought down to 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

jonson1 wrote: »
    The UK property is being rented out.

You need to be tax compliant to qualify for the help to buy gov scheme.
    You are resident for tax purposes and UK rental income earned (remitted or not*) is subject to the self filing and payment obligation. Attempting to 'hide' the property by not filing tax returns is a criminal offence of tax evasion.

* Open to correction on this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement