Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

letowski wrote: »
    I agree, hopefully the likes of Colm Galvin, Davy Mc, SOD, David Reidy, Pat O’Connor and Stephen O’Halloran can come back into the soon.

I don't really rate Stephen O'Hallaron, I don't see him having much of an impact. the others are big loses and bolster clare hurling greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Ah yeah Stephen O Halloran hasn't set the world alight. But the same is true of so many. He's not aggressive enough. He's got great skill though.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Where are Colm Galvin, Pat O’Connor and David McInerney?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Niallers87

Where are Colm Galvin, Pat O’Connor and David McInerney?

All injured at the moment, i think; no harm to try out some new faces though, especially in defence, you can add stephen o halloran to the injury list, I think he is carrying a knock also. I think its all about the performance tomorrow, i am not too worried about the result. The league is for experimentation and i think lohan is going the right way about things

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭supernova5

anyone know the extent of SOD's injury, ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I heard its a slight hamstring strain, nothing major but they don't want to risk it.

For me I'm happy that he's missing, we need to blood as many players as possible and having him and Kelly appear in every game won't do us any good. The league is a busted flush now so we should just be using it to get ready for Waterford, hopefully we can get a game plan together and push on.

Clareman wrote: »
    I heard its a slight hamstring strain, nothing major but they don't want to risk it.

For me I'm happy that he's missing, we need to blood as many players as possible and having him and Kelly appear in every game won't do us any good. The league is a busted flush now so we should just be using it to get ready for Waterford, hopefully we can get a game plan together and push on.

Yeah id agree. Even Kelly should get a game or 2 off. I think a win today is important, not the performance. Lohan hasn't lost to Davy yet and Id like to see that continue. Wexford and Clare would want to do something this year. The fact of the matter is both counties don't really have as many good players as the top teams. That's the bottom line.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Gael85

I think if we lose to Wexford things will start getting hairy. The Conlon experiment would really need to be working after Sunday to justify his absence from full forward. Its not great to see the few injuries..points to tough training sessions. This season is so short that you can't afford to have more than a few injured. 2 or 3 a week us too much.

Jack Browne and Paidi Fitzpatrick starting. John Conlon probably be pushed up to forwards then.

Gael85 wrote: »
    Jack Browne and Paidi Fitzpatrick starting. John Conlon probably be pushed up to forwards then.

Paidi FitzPatrick seems like a model hurler for us, big, athletic, really what we've been looking for. Jack Browne has been shaky but he has given some great performances especially in 18 when he played like an all star.

clare up by 2 points, kelly and fitzgerald got em. Jack Browne is playing at centre forward, Mark Rodgers on the wing, Ian Galvin and Fitzpatrick at corner forward. interesting choices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Feenie wrote: »
    clare up by 2 points, kelly and fitzgerald got em. Jack Browne is playing at centre forward, Mark Rodgers on the wing, Ian Galvin and Fitzpatrick at corner forward. interesting choices.

That can’t be right. Completely daft choices if true. Anyway, don’t care as long as we beat that managers team

Second half done. we're up 1-11 to 0-9.
    Going well lads, truly back on the tracks.

Paidi FitzPatrick seems like a model hurler for us, big, athletic, really what we've been looking for. Jack Browne has been shaky but he has given some great performances especially in 18 when he played like an all star.

Paidi Fitz is big but he's not athletic and he's got zero power. Totally different type of guy than say Kyle Hayes. Hayes would blow him out of it.
    Clare are playing well. Aid McCarthy is really thriving with the extra responsibility. I knew Kelly wouldn't run off that dead leg...they are sore as hell. That goal before half time was a tonic because Wexford had improved. Shanagher is excellent...just needs to close his hand on tbe ball more...hes caught some good ones though. Yeah the fullback line looks abit exposed but overall its been a good showing.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Paidi Fitz is big but he's not athletic and he's got zero power. Totally different type of guy than say Kyle Hayes. Hayes would blow him out of it.
    Clare are playing well. Aid McCarthy is really thriving with the extra responsibility. I knew Kelly wouldn't run off that dead leg...they are sore as hell. That goal before half time was a tonic because Wexford had improved. Shanagher is excellent...just needs to close his hand on tbe ball more...hes caught some good ones though. Yeah the fullback line looks abit exposed but overall its been a good showing.

interesting, you seem to be watching it. How's Conlon going at centre back? Is Jack Browne actually playing at centre back or what's the story?

That was lads listed instead of lads not playing. Would have thought Fitzpatrick and Browne in backs and D.Ryan and Conlon pushed into forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Throwing away a big lead in the last 5 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Second half done. we're up 1-11 to 0-9.
    Going well lads, truly back on the tracks.

Derailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. What's wrong with these lads? Is our fitness an issue? Not good enough losing a seven point margin with a few minutes left....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

All matches last year also seemed to involve a total collapse in the last 10 mins of matches.

Not quite sure if it’s fitness or poor bench. Or a bit of both.

It would be nice if we kept 15 on the pitch , that was stupidity again

Losing is becoming abit of a habit for this Clare team. Corry was so silly to swipe across the forward. He deserved to get the line. From there on Clare folded. There was a mini rally when young Meehan did great work but they deserved to lose. As soon as I saw Ryan Taylor near O Connor in the last play I knew he'd do something rash or naive...and hurley over the shoulder..a stone wall free. It undone all Meehans great work.
    The problem for Clare is we've plenty of hurlers but no leaders to grab a game. Conlon was rubbish. He takes too much out of the ball and his deliveries are too high. He's not a centre back. Shanagher was great as was Aiden McCarthy who thrived on responsibility. Some other good performances...The 23 for us who lost the ball out field that led to the Wexford goal...he was absolutely terrible in that play. We just lack leadership.and abit of nous and class in key positions. We aren't far off...but we won't be bridging the gap anytime soon. Pity to lose to Davy and Wexford because they are a bang average side..

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭jackboy

All matches last year also seemed to involve a total collapse in the last 10 mins of matches.

It’s been going on for years. It’s not a fitness issue, it’s a mentality issue.

You just know now if Clare go 8 to 10 points up with a bit of time left they will collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Losing is becoming abit of a habit for this Clare team. Corry was so silly to swipe across the forward. He deserved to get the line. From there on Clare folded. There was a mini rally when young Meehan did great work but they deserved to lose. As soon as I saw Ryan Taylor near O Connor in the last play I knew he'd do something rash or naive...and hurley over the shoulder..a stone wall free. It undone all Meehans great work.
    The problem for Clare is we've plenty of hurlers but no leaders to grab a game. Conlon was rubbish. He takes too much out of the ball and his deliveries are too high. He's not a centre back. Shanagher was great as was Aiden McCarthy who thrived on responsibility. Some other good performances...The 23 for us who lost the ball out field that led to the Wexford goal...he was absolutely terrible in that play. We just lack leadership.and abit of nous and class in key positions. We aren't far off...but we won't be bridging the gap anytime soon. Pity to lose to Davy and Wexford because they are a bang average side..

You aren't far off what exactly? To be fair Clare are a bang average side as well.

Clare not clinical enough on scoreboard against Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭French Toast

We'll go nowhere without a solid spine through the backs. Thought Lohan's experience would be valuable in sorting that problem but no improvement.

Disappointing result but simply not good enough. Happy for Davy.

Clare not clinical enough on scoreboard against Laois.

Brilliant performance from the Clare senior footballers today. Daniel Walsh is the big story to come out of today's game. 1-2 for the Kilmurry Ibrickane debutante. Outstanding footballer with a very big future indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭letowski

Just got around to watching the game there. Disappointing not to get the win, but much improved I supposed. Corry really let the side down with that swipe, completely changed the course of the game. Some of the same negatives persist though there was some positives to take from the game.

I think the biggest positive so far has been Diarmuid Ryan who has been our best player in the first 2 games. He is also one of the few lads that distributes the ball well to the forwards which is a huge issue with this team.

I mentioned during the week (post 3307) that Aidan McCarthy is more suited as a midfielder, as his best attributes are his running and ability to take a score. Lohan had him starting at full forward for a reason unbeknownst to me.. but with Kelly's injury, Lohan has finally stumbled upon Aidan's best position. He had a very strong game from midfield and showed his value in able to take a score.

Mark Rodgers and Shane Meehan getting a good run was also great to see and they did fairly well. The ball they got in though was very poor at times and with Davy's defensive approach, it was always going to be tough to stand out. But today will stand to them and I expect to see more from them. Shanagher was very good, but he is the one player on this team to win a 'backs' ball. Meehan and Rodgers got very little good ball in front of them.

I think that and our half forward line play were the main negatives from the game. Conlon needs to play in the half forward line for this team. He isn't commanding the centre back position, so there's no point in having back there. What's worse, he isn't providing the cover in the backs that you want for your centre back. For the second goal, he was completely exposed and allowed the Wexford player to run by him. It not working and it compounded then when we don't have any presence further up the field. You can't expect someone the size of Ian Galvin to win ball at centre forward. The half forward line is a big problem.

The distribution into the forwards is another issue and we lost all composure when we went a man down. Having said that, being down the likes of Reidy, Galvin, McInerney and (for the most part) Kelly, really hurt us. We needed a cool head. I'm hoping we can get back Galvin and McInerney back soon. Actually, with McCarthy going well at midfield, I wouldn't mind Davy Mc tried at centre back, and Conlon on the opposite 40.

Hard to know what to make of today. Some bright spots, but its also a poor enough Wexford team as well. I'd expect them to go out on a whimper again like all Davy's team do when he is at the end of his tenure.

Big win for footballers. Daniel Walsh, Cillian Brennan and Eoin Cleary were brilliant. Hopefully Jamie Malone not too serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dohboy

Who's the black lad who came off the bench for us? Fine win, totally dominant, and full of running. Collins clearly can still motivate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Treble double

Big win for footballers. Daniel Walsh, Cillian Brennan and Eoin Cleary were brilliant. Hopefully Jamie Malone not too serious.

Good win, but with the progress under Collins you would be expecting them to beat laois most days, I know they didn't last year, but today was comfortable.
    They looked to have a solid defensive shape. However they butchered a few goal chances kicked some bad wides and turned over some cheap ball, Kildare will punish that the next day. Its a start anyway. Congratulations to the debutants.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

In my opinion it's a combination of not being as fit as the top teams as well as our extremely poor use of the bench. The likes of Limerick, Waterford and Wexford are miles ahead out us in fitness terms.

Other teams tend to spring a few subs after 50 minutes to get fresh legs on for the last 20 minutes, we tend to wait until after 60 minutes, even today outside of injuries all our subs were after 60 minutes, how lads are supposed to get up to match speed and make an influence in less 10 minutes I don't know.

Advertisement