Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

Clareman wrote: »
    The issue I have here is I'm not seeing any example of the county board not providing what was being asked for, the sandwiches for the under 20s being an example, the manager asked about them, the treasurer said that that was a once off from Croke Park last year but if they wanted them to let him know and he'd see what he could do. The manager went off then and organised the sandwiches himself, this is because it'd be 100 times easier to arrange something like this yourself than go through the county board BUT the county board should be kept accountable and made organise it not have the cracks papered over. For me in this whole scenario there's 2 failures, 1 by the manager not arranging the food in advance and 2 by not forcing the county board to organise it, if they refused to do it then that should have been made public.

What do you think the 28 unanswered emails was about?
    Or having to break into Cusack Park to train?
    Or having to pay for a meal after a game last year out of his own pocket is?
    They didn't give money to the under 20's for food after training, they told the manager the money wasn't there.

The county board are refusing to be accountable for all the **** ups and poor use of finances as we can see how they have responded to any questions they have been asked.

We still don't have details of the secretaries 'Contract'
    We still haven't raised a bob through the county board in 2021.
    We still don't have a fit for purpose Centre of Excellence after spending over €5 million on it.
    Cusack Park is still an embarrassment with a stand that an adult can't sit in without kneeing the lad in front of you.

The Clare County Board do not do anything well.

We are a shambles and a laughing stock off the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

We still don't have a fit for purpose Centre of Excellence after spending over €5 million on it.

I'm not over familiar with what has gone on.
    This warrants an investigation. A complete breakdown of expenses - receipt by receipt. Has it already happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

formerlyET wrote: »
    This warrants an investigation. A complete breakdown of expenses - receipt by receipt. Has it already happened?

It should but it hasn't yet and probably won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭jackboy

formerlyET wrote: »

Good luck finding those receipts😂.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What do you think the 28 unanswered emails was about?
    Or having to break into Cusack Park to train?
    Or having to pay for a meal after a game last year out of his own pocket is?
    They didn't give money to the under 20's for food after training, they told the manager the money wasn't there.

The county board are refusing to be accountable for all the **** ups and poor use of finances as we can see how they have responded to any questions they have been asked.

Cusack Park is still an embarrassment with a stand that an adult can't sit in without kneeing the lad in front of you.

The Clare County Board do not do anything well.

We are a shambles and a laughing stock off the field.

Attempting to look at this objectively,
    What do you think the 28 unanswered emails was about? I think 28 answered emails is 26 too many, there should be clear communications between our top hurling team and the county board, NEITHER side should be hiding behind emails. I would ask of the 28 emails were any of the requests answered or carried out?

Or having to break into Cusack Park to train? Complete mis-management, confirmation that the ground was available should have been in place hours before training was to take place, someone should have been there an hour before hand to confirm they had access, if there was still a problem alternative arrangements (such as breaking in or getting another venue) should have happened.

Or having to pay for a meal after a game last year out of his own pocket is? My understanding of that was that the panel was brought to Wexford in advance, everything was paid for EXCEPT for a meal that wasn't part of the original booking and was separate, my understanding was that Lohan didn't have the meal as part of the request so wasn't booked but as soon as he gave the receipt for the meal he was reimbursed.

My reading of it was that they told the manager that there was no money put aside for meals after training for under 20s as this wasn't normal practise that the year before was funded by Croke Park but they'd look into it, then the under 20 manager went off and arranged it themselves. Again, my opinion, but I don't see how meals for an under 20 amateur team would be normal, there are senior camogie/ladies football/rugby/soccer teams not getting meals after matches let alone training months ahead of games so I would have thought the manager should have managed this.

This is a disgrace in my opinion, this is a public organisation and is funded by the association, details should be forthcoming, if someone doesn't want details of their contact shared then they shouldn't be in the role

We haven't done it in 2020 either, I'm not sure of 2019 either, another disgrace.

I still don't think Caherlohan is needed, there are plenty of other facilities around that could be used, without considering club grounds, Flannan's and Clare Abbey are brilliant facilities that should be used more.

Cusack Park is another example of a disaster of a setup, the problems started when they sold half the land to Aldi, the stand should have been extended the length of the pitch but that's another example of mis-management.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

jackboy wrote: »
    Good luck finding those receipts😂.

Oh there's plenty of receipts, 2 copies of each in fact, 1 what was billed and 1 for the actual cost. For example, there's receipts for €30 toilet seats in Cusack Park, what was actually put in only cost €10, the money went €10 for the seat, €10 for you and €10 for me, so it's in no-ones interest to rock the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭BnB

They didn't give money to the under 20's for food after training, they told the manager the money wasn't there...

Why not.....? It is the county boards responsibility to fundraise and have that money in place.

Also, why was it that when money was raised independently for the hurlers and this became a source of embarrassment for the County Board..... money suddenly became available for the footballers ?
    then the under 20 manager went off and arranged it themselves.

The under 20s manager did not arrange it themselves. They expressed their frustration to a number of people who took it upon themselves to sort it out.
    Again, my opinion, but I don't see how meals for an under 20 amateur team would be normal

That may be your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it, but they were the only under 20 team in Munster not getting any kind of food after training.

Why not.....? It is the county boards responsibility to fundraise and have that money in place.

Also, why was it that when money was raised independently for the hurlers and this became a source of embarrassment for the County Board..... money suddenly became available for the footballers ?

I'm yet to hear of money not being available when it's been asked for, it's not a bottomless pit like it was in Davy's time and some teams have to fund themselves (under 16 development squad gear still annoys me), I'm not seeing or hearing anywhere where the county board refused to pay for it.

The under 20s manager did not arrange it themselves. They expressed their frustration to a number of people who took it upon themselves to sort it out.
    It's great that it was arranged but without the manager speaking with the other people it wouldn't have happened, the manager managed the situation.

That may be your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it, but they were the only under 20 team in Munster not getting any kind of food after training.
    So every other under 20 team in Munster, including Kerry who Clare are playing in the first round are getting meals 3 months before the championship and in the first couple of weeks back? I don't think the Clare footballers are getting it and I know the Waterford under 20s aren't

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭letowski

E Quilligan

R Hayes
    C Cleary
    A Fitzgerald

D Ryan
    J Conlon
    A McCarthy

C Malone
    T Kelly

D Reidy
    I Galvin
    Colm Galvin

M Rodgers
    A Shanagher
    S O'Donnell

Obviously they won’t line out like that. Galvin and Malone to swap as a start. I’d expect SOD to play wing forward again too, with either Kelly or Ian Galvin playing in the corner.

Good to see Colm Galvin back. Rodgers starting too. I’d say the late announcement over injury might have been to do with Davy Mc, which would be a pity.

Important game this actually, you feel like Clare need to get a win to restore some confidence. It will be a tough test.

Interesting tabit from the Clare Echo wrt Colm Galvin and John Conlon:

He is named to start at wing-forward however Clare followers are hopeful he will be utilised as a potential centre back allowing his clubmate John Conlon to revert to the forward line where he was named as an All Star in 2018.

Not sure if this is discreet insider knowledge, though I would be surprised if Conlon is moved into the forwards at this stage (even though I think it would be a good move)

• Advertisement

Big game today for the hurlers, we're a few weeks from championship so this should be as close to a top performance as possible, the main thing I want to see is some kind of gameplan

Meant to say, the game is on Eir not GAAGo today

6 all at the water break. Nothing too hectic so far.

2-11 to 0-15.

Full back line in serious trouble. Both corner backs badly turned for the goals, and Dublin should have had another. Forwards have played fairly well.

The back line is just a mess right now. It feels like we’re still just as open as we were last year. Very frustrating that there are no real signs of progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭caddy16

letowski wrote: »
    2-11 to 0-15.

Full back line in serious trouble. Both corner backs badly turned for the goals, and Dublin should have had another. Forwards have played fairly well.

The back line is just a mess right now. It feels like we’re still just as open as we were last year. Very frustrating that there are no real signs of progress.
    Yep have to agree.

2-16 to 0-25 at 53mins.

Clare half back have dropped deeper in the 2nd half and have kept things more compact. Kelly frees from poor Dublin discipline have kept us ticking ahead. McCarthy playing very well from wing forward.

2-23 to 0-34.

Tony got 20 points which is mental. I think he got 4 from play. Dublin’s discipline was dreadful.

Some positives to take from the game. But obviously there are issues for Lohan.

Positives:
    Aidan McCarthy outstanding from half forward. Shane O’Donnell was good again from wing forward and will play the I’d say v Waterford.
    Malone was very good.
    Colm Galvin back and did Ok. Davy Mc was a late sub which is good news.
    Kelly 100% 16/16 from frees.
    David Fitz played well off the bench.

Negatives:
    The full back line in the first half was all at sea. Though things improved in the 2nd which we dropped our half back line deep. But it’s a major worry.
    I thought Diarmuid Ryan and Shanagher played poorly.
    We’re also not creating goal chances never mind scoring some.

Still some positions up for grabs. Aaron Fitz was iffy I thought and that corner back position is not sorted. The front 8 you’ll have Galvin, Malone, Kelly, SOD, McCarthy, Shanagher and possibly Davy Mc, but there are 1 or 2 spots available with the likes of Rodgers, Reidy, Ian Galvin, etc vying for a start in the championship.

I think Clare are slowly improving but I don’t think Lohan has them where he needs them to be right now. KK next week is a huge test in Ennis. If we could get a good result there, it would give us a boost for the championship after a rocky league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Good display today I thought, but we have issues in the full back line, that’s clear enough. I think things are going in the right direction on the field. Kelly has reached a new level since Lohan took over, I think our half back line is very good. Shana gher is dangerous, although he had a difficult second half. Peter Duggan still a huge loss, but them a the breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Good display today I thought, but we have issues in the full back line, that’s clear enough. I think things are going in the right direction on the field. Kelly has reached a new level since Lohan took over, I think our half back line is very good. Shana gher is dangerous, although he had a difficult second half. Peter Duggan still a huge loss, but them a the breaks.

in fairness cleary was good in the air when asked , but today rory hayes really struggled , he commited far too early on his man for the first goal , he was wrong side of his man for the second after a hook by aaron fitz who was flat out in the tackle his man got the goal so wouldnt blame him

aaron fitz is a huge loss to the footballers i would be starting him over his clubmate liam corry for the championship , with cleary and browne if all fit , every team looks some bit vurnable when run at even limerick , our half back line needs more cover in the center john conlon is a diluted player in that position

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

I think Clare are slowly improving but I don’t think Lohan has them where he needs them to be right now. KK next week is a huge test in Ennis. If we could get a good result there, it would give us a boost for the championship after a rocky league.

dont think the league has worked out that bad , we fell flat in the first two games against antrim and wexford in the last ten minutes which was a conditioning issue and not a hurling one

antrim have found their new home at the bottom of the falls road and not the game of thrones setting in balllycastle , you just know that area of the st pauls gaa club and the south west area of belfast is steeped in history and no one is getting anything easy out of that place darren gleeson has a super job done with them

wexford are still not as good as us in my opinion under fitzgerld very one dimonsional and ridged , fitness beat us in the park that day but if we meet again it wont be a factor

laois : was dissapointed with the home team , a really good hurling county not getting the backing of the football orintated county board up there , less said about laois football the better , we made loads of mistakes that day but looked way sharper which was a huge positive

Dublin : a better side then credit is given but past the parnell park test in flying colors , donal burke had a really good game on malone , who didnt have a bad game himself , rory hayes really struggled against ronan hayes , cian boland is no slouch either not the best days for aaron fitz but would still stick with him overall

eoghan o'donnell has turned out to be a fine full back i taught shannagher was probably well beaten today he needs conlon up beside him with rodgers working off them and o'donnell the next day

Kilkenny : in our own heads this is our level , this is the game where we really need to show what we are about , the footballers have turned the park in to an absloute fortress over the years i feel the hurlers hant used the place to their advantage the last few years pandemic aside like antrim in corrigan park we really need to set down a marker at home next week and have everyone take notice

if ever a game to go with the twin towers up front of shanagher and conlon this is it , conlon is out of place at 6 and surly a stop gap for davy mc , 2016 league semi final springs to mind when i think of conlon up front , we need that again

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Niallers87

dont think the league has worked out that bad , we fell flat in the first two games against antrim and wexford in the last ten minutes which was a conditioning issue and not a hurling one

antrim have found their new home at the bottom of the falls road and not the game of thrones setting in balllycastle , you just know that area of the st pauls gaa club and the south west area of belfast is steeped in history and no one is getting anything easy out of that place darren gleeson has a super job done with them

wexford are still not as good as us in my opinion under fitzgerld very one dimonsional and ridged , fitness beat us in the park that day but if we meet again it wont be a factor

laois : was dissapointed with the home team , a really good hurling county not getting the backing of the football orintated county board up there , less said about laois football the better , we made loads of mistakes that day but looked way sharper which was a huge positive

Dublin : a better side then credit is given but past the parnell park test in flying colors , donal burke had a really good game on malone , who didnt have a bad game himself , rory hayes really struggled against ronan hayes , cian boland is no slouch either not the best days for aaron fitz but would still stick with him overall

eoghan o'donnell has turned out to be a fine full back i taught shannagher was probably well beaten today he needs conlon up beside him with rodgers working off them and o'donnell the next day

Kilkenny : in our own heads this is our level , this is the game where we really need to show what we are about , the footballers have turned the park in to an absloute fortress over the years i feel the hurlers hant used the place to their advantage the last few years pandemic aside like antrim in corrigan park we really need to set down a marker at home next week and have everyone take notice

if ever a game to go with the twin towers up front of shanagher and conlon this is it , conlon is out of place at 6 and surly a stop gap for davy mc , 2016 league semi final springs to mind when i think of conlon up front , we need that again
    I think conlon is our centre back against Waterford the way things are going, it will be interesting to see how he performs against Kilkenny next weekend, but i dont think we will see conlon in the full forward lone for the next two games.
    I think mcarthy had a good game today, fitz did well off the bench amd rodgers is finding his feet at this level. We still have jack brown to come back and david mc. Anybody know what the story is with Stephen o halloran?
    Im a bit more optimisic this evening but worried about our defence, our half backline gave us more cover in the second half but what i worry about is when teams run at us and Waterford will do that alot.
    I think what we need is colm galvin sitting deeper from midfield, this may help, its good he got 65.mins today

Roll on Kilkenny

Niallers87 wrote: »
    I think conlon is our centre back against Waterford the way things are going, it will be interesting to see how he performs against Kilkenny next weekend, but i dont think we will see conlon in the full forward lone for the next two games.
    I think mcarthy had a good game today, fitz did well off the bench amd rodgers is finding his feet at this level. We still have jack brown to come back and david mc. Anybody know what the story is with Stephen o halloran?
    Im a bit more optimisic this evening but worried about our defence, our half backline gave us more cover in the second half but what i worry about is when teams run at us and Waterford will do that alot.
    I think what we need is colm galvin sitting deeper from midfield, this may help, its good he got 65.mins today

Roll on Kilkenny

Stephen O’Halloran is still injured. The left half back spot is an interesting one actually, I think Jack Browne is the front runner but Paidi Fitz played solid and David Fitz’s had an excellent cameo. That said I think Lohan likes Jack Browne and I could see him getting a man marking role on Bennett against Waterford.

I definitely agree with you on the Galvin positioning. I suppose in thinking about it, it was much better yesterday the full back line had that rocky patch and not later this month against Waterford. That was a good workout yesterday and the Clare back line functioned better in the second half when the half back line and Galvin dropped a little deeper. Galvin did ok yesterday still a bit to go to get back to his best but that’s expected.

dont think the league has worked out that bad , we fell flat in the first two games

Yeah it will be interesting to see where Davy Mc comes into the team. He got a couple of minutes there at the end so it was good to see him back. I think if he is any way right next weekend, Lohan is just going to start him and leave him out there until he is knackered.

I think Conlon is likely to stay at centre back at this stage. I thought he was better yesterday. One attribute he does bring to the position is that he is excellent at powering his way out of the back line when he has the ball. Maybe the biggest issue I have with him is that he provides very little cover to the full back line. He doesn’t read and cut out much ball going inside. I think he is wasted there, Nash said it before the game that Clare are robbing Peter a lot more than paying Paul.

I think Davy Mc probably comes back in midfield with Galvin, but that could be subject to his fitness. One positive though for Clare is that the half forward line looks much more improved. Shane O’Donnell and Aidan McCarthy are playing great stuff, and both can turn and run at teams. That’s important for us give we have had our struggles on that line. McCarthy is developing into a good hurler. Clare’s attack is coming on nicely I have to say, Rodgers is coming thru as well. Just need to get this back line settled, but KK next week is a great test and I sure we will learn more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Yeah it will be interesting to see where Davy Mc comes into the team. He got a couple of minutes there at the end so it was good to see him back. I think if he is any way right next weekend, Lohan is just going to start him and leave him out there until he is knackered.

I think Conlon is likely to stay at centre back at this stage. I thought he was better yesterday. One attribute he does bring to the position is that he is excellent at powering his way out of the back line when he has the ball. Maybe the biggest issue I have with him is that he provides very little cover to the full back line. He doesn’t read and cut out much ball going inside. I think he is wasted there, Nash said it before the game that Clare are robbing Peter a lot more than paying Paul.

I think Davy Mc probably comes back in midfield with Galvin, but that could be subject to his fitness. One positive though for Clare is that the half forward line looks much more improved. Shane O’Donnell and Aidan McCarthy are playing great stuff, and both can turn and run at teams. That’s important for us give we have had our struggles on that line. McCarthy is developing into a good hurler. Clare’s attack is coming on nicely I have to say, Rodgers is coming thru as well. Just need to get this back line settled, but KK next week is a great test and I sure we will learn more.

I think we have had trouble with the centre back position for quite a long time, Conlon as good as we have there, I do think the switch has gone alright, he was okay again yesterday.
    If he was on 2018 form of course he’d be a loss at full forward, but that’s probably not repeatable, he was incredible that year.

I think we have had trouble with the centre back position for quite a long time, Conlon as good as we have there, I do think the switch has gone alright, he was okay again yesterday.
    If he was on 2018 form of course he’d be a loss at full forward, but that’s probably not repeatable, he was incredible that year.

I agree I suppose in thinking about it, it’s one thing moving into the forwards, it’s another finding a centre back replacement. Up until today, there isn’t any other option, unless we move Cleary there and find another full back (which we don’t have). Hopefully another month at it Conlon can continue to improve.

I think Clare’s team is starting to come together. 11 players are fairly well set to start baring injury. Quilligan, Hayes, Cleary, Ryan, Conlon, Galvin, Malone, McCarthy, O’Donnell, Shanagher, Kelly. Left corner back, Left wing back, midfield/wing forward and full forward. I think Aaron Fitz, Jack Browne and Mark Rodgers are the front runners at CB, WB and FF, but they have competition.

Against Kilkenny, I could see Rory Hayes and Diarmuid Ryan being rested to allow Liam Corryand Aaron Fitz and 2 of David Fitz/Paidi Fitz/Jack Browne to compete for starting roles. Similarly I expect Davy Mc to be given a start if he is ready. I’m looking forward to Kilkenny in the park next week, it will be a good test to see where we are. This group of players have a good record against Kilkenny actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Figerty

I think Clare’s team is starting to come together. 11 players are fairly well set to start baring injury. Quilligan, Hayes, Cleary, Ryan, Conlon, Galvin, Malone, McCarthy, O’Donnell, Shanagher, Kelly. Left corner back, Left wing back, midfield/wing forward and full forward. I think Aaron Fitz, Jack Browne and Mark Rodgers are the front runners at CB, WB and FF, but they have competition.

Against Kilkenny, I could see Rory Hayes and Diarmuid Ryan being rested to allow Liam Corryand Aaron Fitz and 2 of David Fitz/Paidi Fitz/Jack Browne to compete for starting roles. Similarly I expect Davy Mc to be given a start if he is ready. I’m looking forward to Kilkenny in the park next week, it will be a good test to see where we are. This group of players have a good record against Kilkenny actually.

David Mc can play wing back. That would, if fit, bing pace and power. He has some leap in him, and with Waterfords power in the air, which I think Lohan is planning, for, we need that option there. Also probably the reason Conlon is there. Look at what Waterford did to KK in the air last year.

The first round of the Cusack, Garry and other respective football leagues are underway today.

Results: Division 1 Cusack Cup

St Breckans 1-12 Clondegad 0-15
    Ennistymon 1-11 Eire Og Inis 0-11
    Approaching half time - St Josephs Miltown 0-6 Kilmurry Ibrickane 0-1
    Kildysart 0-14 Doonbeg 0-8

Division two Garry Cup Results:

Corofin 0-12 Cooraclare 0-7
    St Josephs Doora Barefield 1-12 Shannon Gaels 1-8
    Lissycasey 0-15 Kilrush Shamrocks 0-10
    O Currys 2-11 Kilmihil 0-11

A result of note in div 3 Cratloe 3-18 Coolmeen 0-11

• Advertisement

A real surprising but notable result from the St Josephs Miltown v Kilmurry Ibrickane Cusack Cup match in Quilty

St Josephs Miltown 2-21 Kilmurry Ibrickane 0-4

Cormac Murray scoring 0-14 and Gordon Kelly getting a goal too. They will romp to Jack Daly this year with Michael Neylon back as banisteoir is huge for them. Impressive stuff indeed from the 2015, 2018 and 2019 Clare county senior football champions.

Advertisement