Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

In all fairness the 100 figure is so conservative..why not make it 1000 at least. And on top of that everyone that is vaccinated should be allowed..

Without meaning to start a COVID discussion I'd nearly be happier with no one than 100,the problem isn't on the pitch or stands its with the groups of people outside talking

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KIB4Life

In all fairness the 100 figure is so conservative..why not make it 1000 at least. And on top of that everyone that is vaccinated should be allowed..

Yeah doesn’t make much sense that there will be 1,000 people at an 8,000 capacity Tallaght stadium tonight, while there will be only be 200 at the GAA games this weekend, in stadiums that can hold much more people then Tallaght Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Yeah doesn’t make much sense that there will be 1,000 people at an 8,000 capacity Tallaght stadium tonight, while there will be only be 200 at the GAA games this weekend, in stadiums that can hold much more people then Tallaght Stadium.
    yeah only 200 in pairc ui chaoimh for Cork and Galway,funniest I read was even though the north is ahead in terms of vaccines no Derry supporters can go to there football promotion decider against Limerick in Carrick on Shannon but 100 limerick supporters are free to go despite the county having by a long way the highest covid incidence rate in the country in the last 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

The figure of 200 and 100 is separate to stewards, management’ and officials this year as it says in the GAA website that these figures are in addition to team officials, players, management and stewards. Anyone know how they are deciding who gets into the games this weekend?

Safe to say the panel will get first refusal on one or two
    35*2 that's 70 gone
    Rest possibly to backroom personnel and Clare Gaa officials or similar

Wouldn't fault them giving the lot to the team, parents/siblings/partners/dependents haven't seen them play in so long

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Treble double

Anyone know if Jamie Malone is fit for Sunday. He is a huge loss if not available, his pace and direct running causes all sorts of problems for defenders and opens up space for Cleary and David Tub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭bonzothedog

Ah sure we train on a Saturday morning with 80 odd kids and 40 or 50 parents / coaches hanging around chatting and not a bother, once you are outside Covid seems not too interested. We need to start opening up games to spectators asap granted in a safe way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭letowski

Clare team v Kilkenny

E Quilligan

R Hayes
    C Cleary
    A Fitzgerald

D Ryan
    J Conlon
    A McCarthy

C Malone
    T Kelly

D Reidy
    Colm Galvin
    R Taylor

M Rodgers
    A Shanagher
    I Galvin

Strange team, I’m not sure who plays left wing back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Last game before championship and Conlon is still 6, he has played there every game there so it's clear that's his position now, doesn't make sense to me but so be it, tomorrow is as close to Championship and considering Waterford beat Kilkenny last year it should be a great barometer for us to see where we're at.

Anyone know if Jamie Malone is fit for Sunday. He is a huge loss if not available, his pace and direct running causes all sorts of problems for defenders and opens up space for Cleary and David Tub.

https://twitter.com/DLynchSport/status/1403459230020034565?s=20

No Jamie Malone unfortunately for the weekend. Still a fairly strong side for the weekend with Podge back amongst the replacements and also Conor Jordan and Cillian Rouine are back fit as well.

No Jamie Malone unfortunately for the weekend. Still a fairly strong side for the weekend with Podge back amongst the replacements and also Conor Jordan and Cillian Rouine are back fit as well.

I would almost go as far as to say that's the strongest 26 squad we've ever had, we've gone from a team who had 3 or 4 good players, to a team of 2 or 3 great players, to a good 15 to now a good 26.

I think that of the next 2 games we're going to win 1 of them, I can't decide which 1 is more important (if we loose to Mayo Kerry is clearly more important) but we we are a top 10 county now without a doubt in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Treble double

Clareman wrote: »
    I would almost go as far as to say that's the strongest 26 squad we've ever had, we've gone from a team who had 3 or 4 good players, to a team of 2 or 3 great players, to a good 15 to now a good 26.

I think that of the next 2 games we're going to win 1 of them, I can't decide which 1 is more important (if we loose to Mayo Kerry is clearly more important) but we we are a top 10 county now without a doubt in my opinion.

By God it would be amazing if you are right,
    I think we have had stronger 15s than that in the Collins era, I'm worried about midfield and the full back line, a fit Malone and Hartnett would make an awful difference to that team, I agree that we have options off the bench and this hasn't always been the case.
    Mayo and Kerry two of the top 3 teams in the country, its real david v goliath stuff, hon da banner

By God it would be amazing if you are right,
    I think we have had stronger 15s than that in the Collins era, I'm worried about midfield and the full back line, a fit Malone and Hartnett would make an awful difference to that team, I agree that we have options off the bench and this hasn't always been the case.
    Mayo and Kerry two of the top 3 teams in the country, its real david v goliath stuff, hon da banner

Without getting too far into the top teams, Dublin, Donegal, Mayo, Kerry are all a level above us, the jersey alone is worth a couple of points against us, we've gotten to the level that the likes of Kildare, Meath, Westmeath, maybe Galway, maybe Cork, etc. are equals that we can beat, the problem is we are always up against Mayo/Kerry but if we don't beat 1 of them 1 time it counts then we're still going to be a level below them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Rosita

Sorry, can't quite make it out but is Eoghan Collins's Club Ballyhaunis, as in Mayo? Can't be too often a player from a Mayo club has played against the county.

Rosita wrote: »
    Sorry, can't quite make it out but is Eoghan Collins's Club Ballyhaunis, as in Mayo? Can't be too often a player from a Mayo club has played against the county.

Yeah he is from Mayo alright. Played against in 2017 as well when he came on. He is a nephew of Colm Collins the Clare manager. Conor Cox from Kerry played against his home county for Roscommon there two weeks ago. Also in hurling for Dublin, Niall Corcoran (Galway) Ryan O’Dwyer (Tipperary) and Maurice O’Brien (Limerick) all played against there home county during Anthony Daly’s time in charge of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭supernova5

Why no SOD on the 26 named for today's game - anyone know?

team named wouldn't exactly strike fear into any opposition

David Mc having to be substituted for a groin injury, looked bad. Disaster.

Clare 2-9 to 11 up. Good game.

Shanagher injury’s now. Aaron Fitz and David Mc had to go off injury’s. Very concerning.

Clare really struggling to win ball in the half forward line. All square now but I think Kilkenny look good to win this.

Clare 2-14 to 0-21.

Clare are struggling to win the ball in the half forward line. We’ve brought on Domhaill McMahon. Living off scraps in the second half.

Lol we just score another 2 goals.

• Advertisement

Exciting game. 4-14 to 1-21.

Quilligan was poor for their goal imo.

4 point win over Kilkenny is a great result any day of the week and we were well worth the 4 point win, things are starting to bubble nicely.

Fantastic!

Clare 4-20 to 1-25.

Subs made a huge impact down the last 15 minutes. Taylor, Golden, McMahon and Cooney all making a great impact to gain a foothold back in the game.

Quilligan with a good save at the end to hold out.

Diarmuid Ryan Motm and also our best player of the league.

Conlon prominent today and played well.

Bit of momentum now going into the Waterford game.

Hopefully Aaron Fitz and Davy Mc are ok. It looks like a groin strain for Davy Mc and maybe a broken rib for Aaron Fitz.

Clare have improved at every game and are in a position to challenge Waterford now in the first round.

Very promising.

It’s worth emphasising the impact off the bench. That’s very important obviously in the modern game. Huge positive imo.

Two of Clare's goals today were top class individual play by Kelly and Reidy.

Clare like that diagonal ball, especially to Aron Shanagher, I taught at times were worked well off him, Aidan McCathy scored a nice point in the first half running off him. We also have plenty of players that can tunr and run with the ball, Kelly, SOD, Reidy, Malone, McCarthy, Taylor that can cause teams problems.

https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1403719450646491136

https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1403734065472282626

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The half back line were very good today, McCarthy is having an outstanding league. Could never understand playing Ryan anywhere other than wing back, he’s a great talent.
    It’s been a fairly good league, in very tough circumstances, we have a style of play and a few very good individuals. The big worry for me is the full back line.

The half back line were very good today, McCarthy is having an outstanding league. Could never understand playing Ryan anywhere other than wing back, he’s a great talent.
    It’s been a fairly good league, in very tough circumstances, we have a style of play and a few very good individuals. The big worry for me is the full back line.

I taught the half back line played very good too, particularly in the first half they were on top but also getting some great cross field balls inside. Its a desperate pity Davy McInerney got that injury. I think that starting half back line today of Ryan, Conlon and McInerney has excellent potential. Good modern half back line with size, athleticism, hurling, aerial ability, carrying, scoring, etc. Hopefully Davy’s isn’t out for Waterford but it did look serious unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Got to see the game through GaaGo today.

Very happy with the result and the performance was pretty good at stages. Still have lots to work on it must be said.

The injury to Mcinerney is a massive blow I think. That half back line would have had real potential.

The concern for me today and has been for the last two years is our inability to win our own puck outs from midfield and half forward line. We struggled for large parts of the game in winning any possession and retaining any ball in that area today I thought.

Thought the two Galvins were very quiet today it must be said so to beat Kilkenny and still have plenty to work on is a good position to be in come 2 weeks time.

Sorting our left corner back, a puck out strategy and a ball winner in the half forward line is priority for me going into two weeks time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

letowski wrote: »
    Fantastic!

Clare 4-20 to 1-25.

Subs made a huge impact down the last 15 minutes. Taylor, Golden, McMahon and Cooney all making a great impact to gain a foothold back in the game.

Quilligan with a good save at the end to hold out.

Diarmuid Ryan Motm and also our best player of the league.

Conlon prominent today and played well.

Bit of momentum now going into the Waterford game.

Hopefully Aaron Fitz and Davy Mc are ok. It looks like a groin strain for Davy Mc and maybe a broken rib for Aaron Fitz.

Clare have improved at every game and are in a position to challenge Waterford now in the first round.

Very promising.

great to have the momentum going into the waterford game but we do need to improve again to beat waterford , we cant allow ourselves to just drift in and out of games like we did today , we went very quiet after the two goals in the 4th 1/4 after the water break and looked like we were going to lose with 5 minutes to go

but over all a really good possition to be in , while waterford in championship is a step up again on today , you cant help but wonder what type of game the all ireland 1/4 final would have been last year had kelly been fit

its a game we have a real chance of wining but conor prunty really did get the better of shanagher that night , jack fagen and dessie hutchinson destroyed our full back line i dont think a sweeper is going to make much diffrence but i am struggling at where we could find a way to improve ofr that game

our half back line has compleatly changed from that night in cork and we do look very strong in the middle 3rd of the field much stronger form that last year

the use of the bench was the wining of the game shane golden finished well when colm galvin was taken off , the line reacted quickly late on when ian galvin was really starting to struggle and rodgers started to get tired ryan taylor and cooney had a huge impact

i cant see waterford being as mobile up front , the movement of the kilkenny forwards was scary at times in the second half espically but we do look vurnable against a team with ball in hand moving at pace

• Advertisement

Agreed, Kilkenny were on top for large parts of the game, some of the same problems of winning enough possession in the half forward line came up. It was encouraging though that we were able to get a foothold back into the match. I taught McMahon made an impact coming on, his hurling is a bit limited but he reminds me of Malone a few years ago. The size and athleticism is there.

Taylor played very well too coming on, after being out of favour. I think he might get his starting position back off Rodgers. Reidy had a timely good performance for him, with SOD out (for a concussion I heard during the week). Lohan has to choose 8 for these 10 from midfield up: C. Galvin, Malone, Reidy, SOD, Kelly, McCarthy, I. Galvin, Shanagher, Taylor, Rodgers. I think I. Galvin and Rodgers will miss out

Advertisement