Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭letowski

Clare
    E Quilligan

R Hayes
    C Cleary
    P Flanagan

D Ryan
    J Conlon
    P Fitzpatrick

C Galvin
    T Kelly

C Malone
    D Reidy
    R Taylor

I Galvin
    A Shanagher
    A McCarthy

Was hoping Davy Mc would start. I can understand Lohan holding David Fitz in reserve as he is more effective coming off the bench.

As I expected Taylor starts. It’s Rodgers losing out. We have some decent options on the bench though, that we will need after the water break. That when Waterford really did a lot of damage last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Niallers87

letowski wrote: »
    Clare
    E Quilligan

R Hayes
    C Cleary
    P Flanagan

D Ryan
    J Conlon
    P Fitzpatrick

C Galvin
    T Kelly

C Malone
    D Reidy
    R Taylor

I Galvin
    A Shanagher
    A McCarthy

Was hoping Davy Mc would start. I can understand Lohan holding David Fitz in reserve as he is more effective coming off the bench.

As I expected Taylor starts. Rodgers losing out. When have some decent options on the bench though, that we will need after the water break. That when Waterford really did a lot of damage last year.

Cant see that team lining out at all at all or in those positions!!!

Niallers87 wrote: »
    Cant see that team lining out at all at all or in those positions!!!

McCarthy and Taylor will switch for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Niallers87

letowski wrote: »
    McCarthy and Taylor will switch for sure.

I would be thinking rogers will be in for taylor and mcinerney for Fitzpatrick, has the bench been released?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Figerty

Niallers87 wrote: »
    I would be thinking rogers will be in for taylor and mcinerney for Fitzpatrick, has the bench been released?

Pressure off Rogerst this way.
    Paudi Fitz may start on a man marking role.

• Advertisement

Figerty wrote: »

Yeah I think this will be the team on Sunday. Possibly Davy Mc might come in but he probably just isn’t fit unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Great to see Colm Galvin back starting a championship match.

Not sure if he can recapture his form of past years, but if he does it’s a big addition to the team

Which of the two sides will be more happier with the appointment of Colm Lyons as referee vs waterford tomorrow ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Clare are making this too easy for Kerry today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭Masala

Is it on the Telly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Masala wrote: »
    Is it on the Telly?

It's on sky

1-9 to 0-4

Don’t seem to have a plan to break Kerry down

Clare handed Kerry a goal and 3 points from unforced errors in the first half

Hopefully they can make a surge like they did against Mayo but it will have to be Herculean to recover from this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

from our own point of view that was a very very poor performance from our lads , kerry themselves wont be overly happy with aspects of that game but we just rolled over and died tonight

the expectancy is to at least stand up and fight like we done against mayo in the 2nd half 2 weeks ago , a team at this level needs to be tagging on at least another 5 or 6 points to be even start talking about playing competitive football against the top teams , if we are serious about playing even at the level we are at , at the moment tonight can never be repeated

i know we dont have a huge pick , the distraction of hurling ect.. but they are not the reasons for such a poor display , you have to stand up and fight to the end and tonight we didnt even raise a row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭jackboy

from our own point of view that was a very very poor performance from our lads , kerry themselves wont be overly happy with aspects of that game but we just rolled over and died tonight

the expectancy is to at least stand up and fight like we done against mayo in the 2nd half 2 weeks ago , a team at this level needs to be tagging on at least another 5 or 6 points to be even start talking about playing competitive football against the top teams , if we are serious about playing even at the level we are at , at the moment tonight can never be repeated

i know we dont have a huge pick , the distraction of hurling ect.. but they are not the reasons for such a poor display , you have to stand up and fight to the end and tonight we didnt even raise a row

It can always look bad when you come up against a far better side but tonight’s result is not a surprise. Clare have done great this year overall, they just cannot compete with a Kerry team that is performing.

It comes down to the club scene in Clare, which is very very poor. Some of our top clubs only have 3 or 4 good players at best.

hopfully not colm collins last interview as clare manager and he stays on again for next year , but the players should have given him so much more in terms of effort tonight and you can see he knows it too

jackboy wrote: »
    It can always look bad when you come up against a far better side but tonight’s result is not a surprise. Clare have done great this year overall, they just cannot compete with a Kerry team that is performing.

It comes down to the club scene in Clare, which is very very poor. Some of our top clubs only have 3 or 4 good players at best.

very true , most of the young lads on the team are products of the development squad , most of whome play for small clubs , our midfield tonight consisted of a lad from shannon gaels , kildysart and coolmeen all intermeadite clubs and a long way off kilmurry and miltown ,

but the game is all about structure now and we were all over the place tonight , the least you can be telling a team to get atleast 2 scores every 10 minutes we couldnt even do that

in terms of the club championship , i have been totally against group championships for years but in truth its a better system then knock out , and hopfully the new format this year will improve things , but the development squads are papering over the cracks they are brining through the best individual players in the county , whitout it and collins we would be in division 4 again

tonight no player from kilmurry ibrickane started and one player from miltown started ( eoin cleary ) who we were far too overly relient for scores , both clubs have won 5 out of the last 6 county championships in clare and none of them ever looked likley of ever doing anything in munster after

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tomo75

jackboy wrote: »

Better teams than Clare would go to Killarney and get pumped.
    We are short a few players to compete at Div 1 level.....

tomo75 wrote: »
    Better teams than Clare would go to Killarney and get pumped.
    We are short a few players to compete at Div 1 level.....

again i agree with you but we really need to be taking them easy chances in the 3rd 1/4 where we dominated the game . if we bring that game back to 6 points from 8 or 9 then kerry think diffrent , they bring on defenders instead of forwards , the element of doubt creeps in

1t was 1-19 to 1-10 with just over ten minutes to go and in controll , thats the time to fight like we did against mayo , instead we threw in a white flag and conceeded 2-03

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Figerty wrote: »

I'd be disappointed if this dummy team stuff came back. The top counties don't do it. I know that if I was named to start on a team and didn't start I'd be fairly upset. I think lohan is doing a fine job but id hate to see this stuff restart

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The disappointment attached to the Clare footballers is how they make poor decisions under minimal enough pressure. In my view the goalie creates alot of trouble. Hes got a hard job but when you come to take a kickout you can stall once, you can't keep bouncing around looking for a loose man for 15 or 20 seconds. His decisions to kick to men under pressure was baffling.
    The forwards play individually alot of the time and they are good enough to put on decent scores but again some of the shooting is crazy. As a S.E Clare woman where there's very little football played, Iv always admired the footballers because of their small pick and pluckiness. I was in the Gaelic Grounds in 92. My first football match and I'd say my father's aswell. What a day. This Clare team is more skilled but by God they are like a sieve at the back.. they are a long way off top standard and Division 2 mid-table is their level. Im not sure where they go from here.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KIB4Life

very true , most of the young lads on the team are products of the development squad , most of whome play for small clubs , our midfield tonight consisted of a lad from shannon gaels , kildysart and coolmeen all intermeadite clubs and a long way off kilmurry and miltown ,

but the game is all about structure now and we were all over the place tonight , the least you can be telling a team to get atleast 2 scores every 10 minutes we couldnt even do that

in terms of the club championship , i have been totally against group championships for years but in truth its a better system then knock out , and hopfully the new format this year will improve things , but the development squads are papering over the cracks they are brining through the best individual players in the county , whitout it and collins we would be in division 4 again

tonight no player from kilmurry ibrickane started and one player from miltown started ( eoin cleary ) who we were far too overly relient for scores , both clubs have won 5 out of the last 6 county championships in clare and none of them ever looked likley of ever doing anything in munster after

There also seems to be just some sort of mental block against Kerry and especially in Killarney as in Killarney in Colm Collins reign we have had 22, 17 and 12 points losses against them down. While in Cusack Park we have been more competitive 4 and two 6 point losses against them. Even at underage in the last couple of Minor finals we have been beaten out the gate by Kerry but then I think one year after in the quarter final against Galway we pushed them fairly close and then Galway ended up getting to the Final and giving Kerry a right good game. So it seems a lot of the time we are beaten well before we play Kerry and often play well below ourselves.

As for Club Championships I think in the future they should look at some sort of Divisional Sort of Championship like Kerry as it would only benefit the county and the players in the county, but probably the clubs themselves might often the barrier to this. Yeah about the clubs as well only Aaron Griffin was on the 26 man panel from Lissycasey who in my eyes are in the top 3 teams in the county and could potentially win Jack Daly and seem to have a lot of talented players but for whatever the reason whether it’s that they won’t commit to the county panel or what but they should be more from Lissycasey in the county panel.

Also in regards to the club championship often the club championship doesn’t have to be good to be competitive county level. Look at Donegal they only have had one team to ever win the Ulster Club championship in Gaoth Dobhair in 2018, but yet have won a load of Ulster titles particularly in the last couple of years. Like when the likes of my own club Kilmurry and Doonbeg were getting to and winning Munster Championships as well as Kilkee and Cratloe being very close to winning Munster Championships we were playing Division 4 football. A strong club championship doesn’t always mean that the county will be strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Treble double

One thing this team don't do is roll over and die, the result is very disappointing alright. If you break it down, in the first half 1.7 of kerrys total of 1.11 came directly from Clare giving the ball away cheaply. The defensive set up they had in place had blunted this vaunted Kerry attack. Brennan did well on Clifford. Kerry had scored goals for fun in div. 1 they didn't create an opening in the first half and the goal was gifted to them by a stray pass from a clare man and they were caught on the counter. Clare had to go for it in the second half and obliterated the kerry kickout in the third quarter but fatally kicked a number of scorable chances wide, again they kept the Kerry forwards quiet. Kerry scored 2.9 in the final quarter when the result was never in doubt. Clare were suffering from fatigue and resigned to the fact it was mission impossible, but no way did they throw in the towel.
    Kerry will steam roll there way to an All Ireland final, that's the calibre of team they are. There's no secret to why Kerry are so good it's just simply that they have more players to pick from than any other county bar Dublin and that's the team they will play in the All Ireland final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Figerty

I'd be disappointed if this dummy team stuff came back. The top counties don't do it. I know that if I was named to start on a team and didn't start I'd be fairly upset. I think lohan is doing a fine job but id hate to see this stuff restart

Nothing wrong with the Dummy team naming. A bit of Divilment is needed these days. we have enough rubbish now in champtionship with forced handshake at the start of matches etc.

If it helps Lohan get a team playing at its peak, then he can do it, but it has to be done with respect for the other player. To Davy Fitz's credit he had told Darach Honan that O'Donnell would start the All-Ire replay. Loughnane did not tell Fergal Hegarty I was told.

Any signs of Punty and Barron being on the starting line ups ? Barron would be a major loss for waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭jackboy

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Also in regards to the club championship often the club championship doesn’t have to be good to be competitive county level. Look at Donegal they only have had one team to ever win the Ulster Club championship in Gaoth Dobhair in 2018, but yet have won a load of Ulster titles particularly in the last couple of years. Like when the likes of my own club Kilmurry and Doonbeg were getting to and winning Munster Championships as well as Kilkee and Cratloe being very close to winning Munster Championships we were playing Division 4 football. A strong club championship doesn’t always mean that the county will be strong.

Yeah there are probably more factors than the senior club championship but I think the club scene has got so bad that it is bound to be restricting the potential.

I just remember a game a couple of years ago where Ennistymon were kicking all of their 40 yard frees backwards about 20 yards. It was their clear plan to never try and play football, and it almost won them a championship. Not to pick on them, as they have made great progress in recent years but it is just depressing to see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

For today's game I think not starting David Mc is a risk, he has an injury that could go, bring him on with 20 minutes to go and he might have to go off straight away and that's 2 subs wasted whereas if he starts and has to go off that's only 1 sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Wouldn’t have too much confidence that we are going to get the win today. Going to be very difficult I feel but I think it will be quiet close.

We need Shanagher to have a massive game I feel. We need the goals and we need more people to contribute on the scoreboard.

Other key area is the battle in the air I think. Don’t think we have enough physicality to deal with some of Waterford’s forwards.

At least it’s great to have hurling back. Hon the banner.

Waterford seen to have decided that the 'steps' rule in hurling doesn't apply to them, and the ref seems to agree with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Dominating but poor wides and poor use of ball also. Good aggression and work rate though.

Advertisement