Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

formerlyET wrote: »
    What's the headline?

"Tipperary need more than just a win against Clare"
    https://www.nenaghguardian.ie/2021/06/30/tipperary-need-more-than-just-a-win-against-clare/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

3,000 supporters will be allowed into the Gaelic Grounds on Sunday which is great news

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0701/1232543-3000-fans-now-permitted-for-tipp-v-clare-munster-clash/

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Faiche Ro

We see what we want!!
    I don’t know if it’s an Irish thing or what but in this instance I feel like some Clare people want to be dismissed (particularly by someone from Tipp) for fear that they won’t get a performance unless they’re written off or disrespected somehow.

Here’s an extract from the article:

“This isn’t writing off Clare by any means who will be a huge challenge on Sunday and the ideal one to test the mettle of this Tipperary team, for as the Banner showed against Waterford, they will harry and hound everything that moves in a blue and gold jersey.“

But sure whatever fits your narrative…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Clareman wrote: »

Talk clutching at straws - the article writes:

"Forewarned in forearmed and while Tipperary will come in fresh this Sunday, Clare will be match-sharp and are likely to hit the ground running and Liam Sheedy’s charges will have to match it."

Talk clutching at straws - the article writes:

"Forewarned in forearmed and while Tipperary will come in fresh this Sunday, Clare will be match-sharp and are likely to hit the ground running and Liam Sheedy’s charges will have to match it."

I wouldn't worry about it too much, the level of journalism in general has dropped considerably and local papers even more so, I'd imagine a lot of Tipp people could have issues with something in the Clare Echo/Champion

I stopped reading at “we’ll have a major say in the destination of the Munster and All-Ireland titles.”, no **** Sherlock win on Sunday and you're in a Munster final which has a major say on the destination of the Munster title and into an All Ireland quarter final which means you are in the last 6 :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Faiche Ro wrote: »
    We see what we want!!
    I don’t know if it’s an Irish thing or what but in this instance I feel like some Clare people want to be dismissed (particularly by someone from Tipp) for fear that they won’t get a performance unless they’re written off or disrespected somehow.

Here’s an extract from the article:

“This isn’t writing off Clare by any means who will be a huge challenge on Sunday and the ideal one to test the mettle of this Tipperary team, for as the Banner showed against Waterford, they will harry and hound everything that moves in a blue and gold jersey.“

But sure whatever fits your narrative…

You don’t go into a Munster championship game thinking of anything other than getting the job done. If you offered Sheedy a last minute goal to win the game, he’d take it no question. This is Munster championship hurling lad.

Tipp 4 point favourites which going on the last few years is fair to say and last weekend won't have given Tipp anything to worry about, they'll be looking at how much time Conlon was given and look to nullify that, either that or they'll just go out and play their own game which I think it more likely. We looked strong 5-9 last week because of how Waterford lined up, I still have major doubts over our half back and forwards but I think we have a decent midfield now.

For us to win on Sunday we'll have to take all our chances, we won't be able to have as many wides and we definitely won't be able to afford to put 4 frees wide

Lohan deserves a level of credit how he set up against Waterford. It was a different defensive alignment he used against Kilkenny and Dublin. Clare pushed much further up in those last two league games, and played Kelly midfield. Conlon never sat as deep as he did last weekend.

I’d expect Lohan to change tac again against Tipp and go back the way he set up versus Kilkenny. Kelly back in midfield, push up on the puckouts, Conlon to play as a conventional 6. I wouldn’t share your level of doubts about our half back line. Ryan, Conlon and McInerney has excellent potential, they’ve size, athleticism, all good stickmen, exactly the type you need in the modern game (cc Limerick)

letowski wrote: »
    Lohan deserves a level of credit how he set up against Waterford. It was a different defensive alignment he used against Kilkenny and Dublin. Clare pushed much further up in those last two league games, and played Kelly midfield. Conlon never sat as deep as he did last weekend.

I’d expect Lohan to change tac again against Tipp and go back the way he set up versus Kilkenny. Kelly back in midfield, push up on the puckouts, Conlon to play as a conventional 6. I wouldn’t share your level of doubts about our half back line. Ryan, Conlon and McInerney has excellent potential, they’ve size, athleticism, all good stickmen, exactly the type you need in the modern game (cc Limerick)

Lohan's preferred tactic in championship games is to push the full forward line up as far as possible, bring the half backs as far as possible to protect the full back line and then go for it in the middle. Our best performance last year was in Portlaoise which is a tight pitch, Limerick isn't as small as Portloaise but the tightness of it should help us I think, teams getting a run of us or open space in the middle pick us off with ease this shouldn't be an issue in Limerick hopefully.

Lohan's preferred tactic in championship games is to push the full forward line up as far as possible, bring the half backs as far as possible to protect the full back line and then go for it in the middle. Our best performance last year was in Portlaoise which is a tight pitch, Limerick isn't as small as Portloaise but the tightness of it should help us I think, teams getting a run of us or open space in the middle pick us off with ease this shouldn't be an issue in Limerick hopefully.

Not quite against Waterford last weekend. It was a two man inside line with Galvin withdrawn. Waterford with free access to hit Daly or McNulty on puckouts all day long. It would be dangerous to give the Tipp backs that sort of access to spray direct ball into Callinan/Forde/McGrath/Bubbles/Morris/etc. Lohan obviously knew Waterford wouldn't play that direct game as they play a running brand of hurling, and set up accordingly. I'd be expect a nuanced approach again, surely, the brand of hurling that Tipp and Waterford play is chalk and cheese.

Not quite against Waterford last weekend. It was a two man inside line with Galvin withdrawn. Waterford with free access to hit Daly or McNulty on puckouts all day long. It would be dangerous to give the Tipp backs that sort of access to spray direct ball into Callinan/Forde/McGrath/Bubbles/Morris/etc. Lohan obviously knew Waterford wouldn't play that direct game as they play a running brand of hurling, and set up accordingly. I'd be expect a nuanced approach again, surely, the brand of hurling that Tipp and Waterford play is chalk and cheese.

When I said full forward line I meant the 2 or 1 player that's playing in there, it's unusual to see the full forwards outside the 21 although 1 of them are often given a free reign to go wherever they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Faiche Ro

You don’t go into a Munster championship game thinking of anything other than getting the job done. If you offered Sheedy a last minute goal to win the game, he’d take it no question. This is Munster championship hurling lad.

Ya completely agree with you and I’d wager Sheedy would too but that journalist is saying that Tipp need a good performance on Sunday, and not scrape a win. Because Tipp were so poor last year falling over the line would not inspire confidence for the remainder of the year.

It’s a valid point whether I agree or not BUT the sentiment is not what you were portraying in your post.

When I said full forward line I meant the 2 or 1 player that's playing in there, it's unusual to see the full forwards outside the 21 although 1 of them are often given a free reign to go wherever they want.

Agreed, certainly from general play. Although against Kilkenny, Ian Galvin push right up as part of a traditional full forward line with Rodgers and Shanagher. So far up actually he won a penalty from a direct ball in. From puckouts Clare need to press Tipp, stand off these lads and they'll put on a show. Waterford will run at you, so you can afford to sit. So I'd be an advocate for how we set up in the last round of the league.

Tipps backs will destroy us if they have time to pick out their forwards, our forwards will have to put in a serious defensive shift which unfortunately I don't know if they have it in them, Reidy for example isn't a great man to harass his opponent.

Faiche Ro wrote: »
    Ya completely agree with you and I’d wager Sheedy would too but that journalist is saying that Tipp need a good performance on Sunday, and not scrape a win. Because Tipp were so poor last year falling over the line would not inspire confidence for the remainder of the year.

It’s a valid point whether I agree or not BUT the sentiment is not what you were portraying in your post.

Yeah that's fair enough FR. I wouldn't expect anything else from Sheedy, who will no doubt be fully prepared on Sunday. It's not a big deal, I was mainly just saying that I think we have a better chance of winning this weekend that what most are giving us (even though Tipp are justifiably favourites).

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Podge1972

Just Like Seamie,We dissect the Banner

Episode 48 sees Mike, Sean & Enda review Waterford v Clare in Munster & Wexford v Laois, Dublin v Antrim in Leinster, before dissecting the Banner ahead of the Munster semi-final on Sunday 0-28 Mins

Mike gloats about his Fantasy Hurling performance while Sean & Enda tell their transfer tactics. 28-35 Mins

Tipp Camogie lost out to Cork in Munster while Aisling Moloney suffers season ending injury. 35-40 Mins

We Finish up with local GAA, Junior A & B hurling finals for 2020, North & Mid start U19 Hurling and the lads look at the Tipp U20 & U17 Hurling & Football panels. 40-67 Mins

Available to listen across all platforms via the

thepremierviewpodcast.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Has there been any update on SOD??

Same 15 starts on Sunday, no surprise there

https://twitter.com/ClareEcho/status/1411065753713979397?s=20

Has there been any update on SOD??

Last I heard is that he's still under observation, headaches are easing but following the return to play protocols and is still at the first level.

Last I heard is that he's still under observation, headaches are easing but following the return to play protocols and is still at the first level.

Jesus, that's no joke. At least, they're easing. A concussion is one scary thing.

Tipp loading up on free scoring forwards, not many workers/ball winners. Clare have to really get in their faces on Sunday. Which is how Lohan likes to coach his backs. I’d give us a fair chance this weekend. Obviously Tipp have top class talent, but I think Sheedy is going a little too top heavy with his forward line imo.

• Advertisement

Jesus, that's no joke. At least, they're easing. A concussion is one scary thing.

Nope but it's being managed correctly and the player's wellbeing is being put first.

Nope but it's being managed correctly and the player's wellbeing is being put first.

I think it was the 1997 final that John Leahy played with a fractured jaw - I don't think that would happen these days.

I think it was the 1997 final that John Leahy played with a fractured jaw - I don't think that would happen these days.

Whatever about a fractured jaw, how about the smelling salts. I played a Dean Ryan match for Flannan's back in the day and to this day I have no idea of what happened between 10 minutes into the match and 2 weeks afterwards but I scored 2 points from player and failed a load of exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Shane O Donnell is a big loss in a game like this. I hope his recovery goes smoothly. He must have got an awful whack. It was a fall and he banged his head off the ground if I'm not mistaken. A clean knock out. His harrying will be a loss and link play.
    It's been mentioned that we ll have to meet them physically. Id totally agree with that. You have to engage them physically and rachet up the intensity. Anything below that and they will use their superior skill and know how to kill you. I fancy Clare if they manage to cut way down on their wides. I think they ll have the legs on Tipperary going down the home straight. We ll need a goal or two and I think we ll get them . Tipperary are showing their full hand here. I think Sheedy is under big pressure. He's given the old stagers his full support. These guys are fantastic stick men but Limerick have rolled over them a fair bit in the past few years. I think that they have one eye on Limerick and both Sheedy and the veterens see this year as the chance to redeem themselves with a Munster final v Limerick. Its a dangerous game to play ,having one eye on Limerick. I think Clare can take advantage. What I particularly liked last week was Lohan taking McCarthy to task over his profligacy and no pass play. This isn't Inagh Kilnamona and him playing a Clare Cup game. This is the bigtime and you've to trust your teammates. Do the right thing, pass the ball to the free man. If he misses,that's not your problem. Lohan gave the hair dryer to him and I expect McCarthy to kick on again and get even better.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Hopeful we can somehow cause an upset again today. Be massive to avoid those qualifiers given the counties involved.

Another huge test for our defense given the caliber of the Tipp forwards. Just hope our forwards can cause the Tipp defense the same issues. Not sure they have much pace in their defense so hopefully we can exploit that.

Be interesting to see what role Tony has today. He is so comfortable in whatever Brian has asked him to do.

I’ll go Clare by 2.

Hope SOD can recover by the next game anyway. Seems Stange to me how he did himself so bad going for a high ball and falling head first then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Obviously hoping for an upset. And with Kelly, anything is possible.

I feel we’re improving as a team under Lohan, but worry about how we fade away after the 60 minute mark.
    To win we need to build up a big lead, and that won’t be easy against a team of Tipp’s quality

What a start, both teams playing great stuff

What a start, 1-7 to 0-4 to us

We let Tipp back into it there, Eibher gave away a very stupid free and then straight from the puck out Tipp got their goal.

• Advertisement

Few breaks went Tipp way in the last 5 mins. Need to lift it again and get Tony involved

Advertisement