Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Tony took too much out of that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

We seem to have given up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

The ref stole the game for Clare. Good effort by Clare.

The ref stole the game for Clare. Good effort by Clare.

I don't know, yes the ref's decision was shocking but we seem to have given up in the final quarter, totally flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Clareman wrote: »
    We seem to have given up

Ye gave up bout half an hour ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

I don't know, yes the ref's decision was shocking but we seem to have given up in the final quarter, totally flat.

I felt Clare had them on the ropes but that decision changed the course of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Blatant pen not given

We needed everything to go right for us today, Quilligan letting in a soft goal, giving up 1-1 from 1 mistake, the ref's decision for a penalty and not giving us a penalty at the end was always going to make it an impossible task.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Good effort. Dreadful ref, conceded a fluke goal and change of strategy in second half lost it for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

We needed everything to go right for us today, Quilligan letting in a soft goal, giving up 1-1 from 1 mistake, the ref's decision for a penalty and not giving us a penalty at the end was always going to make it an impossible task.
    Swings and roundabouts- ye got the benefit of a dodgy penalty and sin bin last week yerselves.

• Advertisement

carter10 wrote: »
    Swings and roundabouts- ye got the benefit of a dodgy penalty and sin bin last week yerselves.

Night and day, that wasn't a goal scoring opportunity, there was 3 or 4 players between him and goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Tipperary the better side overall , we faught to the end but we were terrible for the first 15minutes of the second half , yes it wasnt helped by one of the worst decisions i have ever seen in hurling , but we lost the game in that area of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Tipperary the better side overall , we faught to the end but we were terrible for the first 15minutes of the second half , yes it wasnt helped by one of the worst decisions i have ever seen in hurling , but we lost the game in that area of the game

Aye, Clare just fell apart for those 10 mins with 14 men.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Lohan is been very quiet. You know he wants to let loose but knows he is only been interviewed. Very good of him. If it was Davy the interviewer would have needed bullet proof glass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Figerty

Aye, Clare just fell apart for those 10 mins with 14 men.

Lohan needs to be a lot colder on the sideline. Subs should have been on sooner.

The penalties issues mask this somewhat but we ned better use of the resources.

Lack of subs is very disappointing again.

Lohan is been very quiet. You know he wants to let loose but knows he is only been interviewed. Very good of him. If it was Davy the interviewer would have needed bullet proof glass

No manager is going to say anything against a ref, they'll get banned if they do

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

No manager is going to say anything against a ref, they'll get banned if they do

I was going more his demeanor then anything else

He said enough and congratulated Tipp on their win.
    Can't see Owens reffing a clare game again. Lohan said enough for Owens to be smart enough not to take on a Clare game for a while.

Figerty wrote: »
    He said enough and congratulated Tipp on their win.
    Can't see Owens reffing a clare game again. Lohan said enough for Owens to be smart enough not to take on a Clare game for a while.

I'd say the opposite, the GAA will have to give Owens another Clare match now or else it'll look like they are pandering to the opinion of a manager, this is GAA officaldom you're talking about, common sense doesn't come into it.

• Advertisement

I'd say the opposite, the GAA will have to give Owens another Clare match now or else it'll look like they are pandering to the opinion of a manager, this is GAA officaldom you're talking about, common sense doesn't come into it.

I wouldn't say so. Owens knows he's under fire. The referees management review of this would be interesting to hear. The forensic exposure of this decision will run for a while.

Figerty wrote: »
    I wouldn't say so. Owens knows he's under fire. The referees management review of this would be interesting to hear. The forensic exposure of this decision will run for a while.

He'll have his report, he'll be corrected on a couple of things but because of the shortage of top level refs he won't be put out to pasture just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I actually don’t mind the rule of a penalty for a foul with goal scoring chance (albeit its obviously subjective what constitutes a real goal change)

The sin bin is harsh if it is a genuine attempt of a tackle. Give the ref the option to bin a lad if it is clearly cynical, but don’t make it automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

that was a shambles, I'm ****ing sorry. It was just an absolute joke.
    but like on the brightside, there's a landmine field in the qualifiers that I think Clare could come out of well and gain a bit of momentum

The definition of what is a goal scoring opportunity is very difficult to define in hurling but I think it's clear that today's penalty wasn't a 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

ironicaly the new rule is pictured beside james ownes in the match program , james did everything to the letter of the law but misinterpeted the goal scoring chance itself

[IMG][/img]IWCAXC.png

IBuVn1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

ironicaly the new rule is pictured beside james ownes in the match program , james did everything to the letter of the law but misinterpeted the goal scoring chance itself

[IMG][/img]IWCAXC.png

IBuVn1.png

He did everything 'to the letter of the law' when it was against Clare, but when there was a much more likely goal scoring opportunity, inside the actual box where the clare player catches the ball and is dragged down to the ground....

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/924/IWCAXC.png

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/924/IBuVn1.png

The important bit is from https://www.gaa.ie/news/referees-ready-to-implement-new-playing-rules/

It is the decision of the Referee as to whether it is a goal-scoring opportunity or not, but it must be inside the 20m line or the semi-circular arc.
    Key factors the referee should consider.
    • Where the foul occurred?
    • How many defenders are between the attaching player and the goals?
    • Could another defender make a tackle before reaching the goals?
    • How many players are in the area in front of the goals?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭French Toast

Disappointing but on a positive note, both the Galvins were on fire for the 1st half. Cleary/Conlan both more convincing in the backs. TK solid as usual. Quilligan both good and bad moments.

Definitely the makings of a well-rounded outfit. Hopefully they'll roar in to the qualifiers red-hot with a point to prove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

Feenie wrote: »
    that was a shambles, I'm ****ing sorry. It was just an absolute joke.
    but like on the brightside, there's a landmine field in the qualifiers that I think Clare could come out of well and gain a bit of momentum

The landmine is exaggerated. Clare will gave to do no more to get through the qualifiers than they had to do to reach a Munster final i.e. beat a couple of top 9 teams.

Advertisement