Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Disappointing but on a positive note, both the Galvins were on fire for the 1st half. Cleary/Conlan both more convincing in the backs. TK solid as usual. Quilligan both good and bad moments.

Definitely the makings of a well-rounded outfit. Hopefully they'll roar in to the qualifiers red-hot with a point to prove.

I thought the Galvins started well but fades, I thought Malone and Reidy were very poor. Shanagher did 90% of things right but the final 10% let himself down, 1 particularly bad wide, in the second half he was up against it big time.

For me the backs did well, I thought Cleary had his best performance at full back, Conlon had a decent shift as well. Kelly was ok, he's a victim of his own success I'm afraid, we expect so much more from him, he had a few very bad wides.

Quilligan I'm afraid isn't an intercounty goalie, it might sound harsh on him considering his 3 great saves but you'd be expecting a decent club goalie to be saving at least 2 of them, he was completely at fault for a goal, he fouled the ball for a point and directly from that puck out there was another goal.

Finally, I know I sound like a broken record, but our use of subs, only 3 subs used today, considering we were down to 14 players for 10 minutes we should have used all 5 available to us even if it was just to get fresh bodies on the pitch, it's not as if we were in trouble on sections of the pitch (midfield and half fowards) and could have done with fresh legs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Rosita wrote: »
    The landmine is exaggerated. Clare will gave to do no more to get through the qualifiers than they had to do to reach a Munster final i.e. beat a couple of top 9 teams.

I don't think we can get Waterford in the qualifiers, it'd be annoying to get a first round draw in the qualifiers, after that, no-one wants to get Galway. It's annoying, we could have won today, if we did we were looking at an All Ireland quarter final.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Definitely agree on the subs, it’s baffling.
    And the ones we make are really late on, too late to have much impact

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Easy to know where to start with analysing this game in fairness but I think there was a lot more to the loss than just that disgraceful sin bin decision.

We started so well and built that nice lead but let Tipp back in with a couple of soft points such as the goalie fumble and then lost the important break for the goal. After that I think we lost our way again and Tipp started to assert the game plan they wanted.

We never got to grips with their game plan really and numerous times in the second half their players had acres of space to take a shot or find an open man. We looked miles away from picking up players at times. Tipp left the two inside and let 4 other forwards just roam and go back to midfield and we didn’t know whether to follow them or stay. It worked well as Tipp got thru the middle on a number of occasions. Even though Malone and C Galvin showed well at times I thought they were well beaten today.

Obviously the sin bin decision was a disgrace and completely rattled our team. We lost our shape completely and played aimless ball after ball. But I thought we managed the 10 mins well up until that stupid soft goal. Keeper made good saves today but that was a shocking miss.

We then kept working but we’re just too loose with some touches, not tight enough in the middle third and Tipp just picked up score after score while we struggled to win and retain any ball in the forwards.

We dropped so many shots short and hit some poor wides in that second half and in saying all that we still only lost by 4.

Have to credit Lohan and the players for the work ethitic and work rate but just some belief and execution was missing today along with a bit of luck really.

Qualifiers will be tough but hopefully we put in another good performance to progress. Maybe get SOD back which would make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 teamddr

As a neutral that was a terrible decision from Owens. Thought Barrett yellow was harsh to. Why didn’t he give the penalty on Shanahger, was it a square ball.

• Advertisement

We are really struggling in the half forward line, I don't know it's the way we're lining up to play or what but they are non-existent in almost every game now. We took on some terrible shots today, dropped too many short and some terrible wides, Kelly's free and Shanagher's from play come to mind. Being honest, neither Galway or Wexford would be frightened of us in the qualifiers but in the same vein we wouldn't be frightened of them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

teamddr wrote: »
    As a neutral that was a terrible decision from Owens. Thought Barrett yellow was harsh to. Why didn’t he give the penalty on Shanahger, was it a square ball.

Maybe because Shanagher grappled a bit too.

Maybe because Shanagher grappled a bit too.

Then it's a free out, you can't ignore a foul just because another 1 is happening, it's either a foul or it isn't not 2 fouls that cancel each other out.

Not sure how much the men they were marking scores but I thought our full back line was pretty good and tight today. A few loose touches led to points alright and some breaks didn’t go their way but I thought they were excellent overall.

Had too many up and down performances from the rest of the players was the main issue.

Not sure how much the men they were marking scores but I thought our full back line was pretty good and tight today. A few loose touches led to points alright and some breaks didn’t go their way but I thought they were excellent overall.

Had too many up and down performances from the rest of the players was the main issue.

I thought Cleary was outstanding, the first time I think he has exceled at full back, yes his man scored 1-1 from play against him but the goal he did everything right. As a unit our backs are as good as anyone's unfortunately 8-12 is letting us down big time.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Then it's a free out, you can't ignore a foul just because another 1 is happening, it's either a foul or it isn't not 2 fouls that cancel each other out.

If fouls happen simultaneously sometimes referees do let them cancel each other. But yeah, should have been a free out.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

lads I think some of you are forgetting we were excellent until the sin binning and the penalty decisions. That completely rattled us which is an issue in its own but without that I thought Clare would have won. Definitely not 8 points. Not to mention when it was time to give an actual penalty the reff turned a blind eye.
    We need to look at the positives from everything. We had a lot of performers today and I wouldn't really single anyone out as "bad".
    Clare looked extremely dangerous at times. We really played alot of good hurling. Put Duggan and O'Donnell back in the fray I think we're serious.
    I have to agree though, Lohan needs to learn when to use subs. David Mc had a good game but no one else had enough time to impact the game. Should have sprung on around 2nd water break or start of first half. I only think two subs were used. correct me if I'm wrong.

If fouls happen simultaneously sometimes referees do let them cancel each other. But yeah, should have been a free out.

Absolutely the ref will ignore them but they shouldn't, then again if refs were to pull for everything there'd be nothing but frees, but that was a blatant foul so the ref should have made a decision, if he gave a free out there'd be no debate about it, Shanagher fouled first, fair enough get on with it, if he gave a penalty there'd be no debate about it, it was a foul, by doing nothing he's saying that nothing happened which was against the rules.

I thought Cleary was outstanding, the first time I think he has exceled at full back, yes his man scored 1-1 from play against him but the goal he did everything right. As a unit our backs are as good as anyone's unfortunately 8-12 is letting us down big time.

While I really like our half back line especially if you put Mcinerney in starting I think they got out done today by the Tipp tactics. We got exposed a few times down the centre and Tipp had free men plenty of times to take shots or move the ball from Galway to our 40. As you say though I think our main issue is with the half forward line. In saying that they were great for the first 15 mins today until Tipp figured things out. Couldn’t win or hold a ball in second half. Felt we could have introduced a bigger man to that line.

Feenie wrote: »
    lads I think some of you are forgetting we were excellent until the sin binning and the penalty decisions. That completely rattled us which is an issue in its own but without that I thought Clare would have won. Definitely not 8 points. Not to mention when it was time to give an actual penalty the reff turned a blind eye.
    We need to look at the positives from everything. We had a lot of performers today and I wouldn't really single anyone out as "bad".
    Clare looked extremely dangerous at times. We really played alot of good hurling. Put Duggan and O'Donnell back in the fray I think we're serious.
    I have to agree though, Lohan needs to learn when to use subs. David Mc had a good game but no one else had enough time to impact the game. Should have sprung on around 2nd water break or start of first half. I only think two subs were used. correct me if I'm wrong.

There was a double sub when Rodgers & Fitzgerald came on.

I agree 100%, yes it was a wrong decision but we let it decide the game, we didn't adjust for the 10 minutes, we hit aimless ball and seemed to dwell on it far too much, for about 5 minutes we seemed to just give up but we brought it back to 4 points and could have stolen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Such a hard game to comment on with so many incidents and talking points. I think ultimately though, Tipperary did deserve their win on the balance of play. Nonetheless, I'd give credit to our lads for a strong effort.

The first half actually went exactly how I taught it would go. Lohan did change tac from the Waterford game. He pushed up and pressed Tipp on the puckouts, played Conlon conventionally at centre back, Ian Galvin right up in the full forward line and got his team to run at Tipp around midfield (Ryan Taylor was excellent in the first half). It was a similar template to the way he played Kilkenny 3 weeks ago. We were causing Tipp alot of problems. The only issue I really had was Tony Kelly starting out in the full forward line. In a contrast from the Waterford game, where Cahill brought Lyons out of position to mark Kelly, it suited Tipp down to the ground to have Barrett marking Kelly in his most comfortable position. Overall, Barrett did well on Kelly today.

The second have left a lot to be desired as far as I'm concerned though. I do have sympathy with the players , as they were a victim of a crazy refereeing decision, but questions have to be asked why they changed they're attack so much. Dropping Ian Galvin out the field (when he was causing such problems inside) and then playing a direct brand of hurling into the outnumbered Shanagher was absolute madness. Complete madness. It just took our best players in the first have like Talyor and I. Galvin completely out of the game. What's worse, it allowed the Tipp backs space, when pressing them like in the first half, was always the way to go. It wasn't until Rodgers came on (who played very well) went back to 3 inside did Clare start playing well, but it was too late.

There was alot of positives to be taken from the game that gives me hope. Our full back line, all 3 of them, played outstanding. It's great seeing Cleary play his man tight like that, as he has usually been a bit stand-offish. He was given a very harsh free against him in the first half. Flanagan has been outstanding beside him too. Taylor and Ian Galvin had great first halves today.

Shanagher unfortunately was woeful, but we can't do much as he is the focal point of our attack. SOD is a huge loss imo, I know he was mostly playing wing forward, but I think we need another player in beside Shanagher that can win direct ball. You could see with Ronan Maher dropping deep, Tipp were ready and waiting to deal with Shanagher, and they know as 90% of our direct ball goes into him. Rodgers actually improved things alot as he is a conventional inside forward too and can take pressure of Shanagher (even if he is so young).

Hopefully we get a good draw for the next round.

While I really like our half back line especially if you put Mcinerney in starting I think they got out done today by the Tipp tactics. We got exposed a few times down the centre and Tipp had free men plenty of times to take shots or move the ball from Galway to our 40. As you say though I think our main issue is with the half forward line. In saying that they were great for the first 15 mins today until Tipp figured things out. Couldn’t win or hold a ball in second half. Felt we could have introduced a bigger man to that line.

Tipp adjusted well at the water breaks, which is what it's all about in the game now. We conceded 3 goals today, 1 by the goalie, 1 by the ref and 1 in open play.

I thought Malone and Reidy were poor today, every decision they seemed to make was the wrong decision but they were left on. We could do with a tough 11 who will work all day for you, have a bit of badness about them and pop up a few scores but we're missing that massively unfortunately.

lads I think some of you are forgetting we were excellent until the sin binning and the penalty decisions. .

Not so sure. As I mentioned on another forum Clare led by 1-7 to 0-4 in the first half and between that and Kelly's goal they were outscored by 1-9 to 0-4 and that's with 15 players. Plus the Clare goalkeeper was far busier. Tipperary could have been out of sight.

letowski wrote: »
    Such a hard game to comment on with so many incidents and talking points. I think ultimately though, Tipperary did deserve their win on the balance of play. Nonetheless, I'd give credit to our lads for a strong effort.

The first half actually went exactly how I taught it would go. Lohan did change tac from the Waterford game. He pushed up and pressed Tipp on the puckouts, played Conlon conventionally at centre back, Ian Galvin right up in the full forward line and got his team to run at Tipp around midfield (Ryan Taylor was excellent in the first half). It was a similar template to the way he played Kilkenny 3 weeks ago. We were causing Tipp alot of problems. The only issue I really had was Tony Kelly starting out in the full forward line. In a contrast from the Waterford game, where Cahill brought Lyons out of position to mark Kelly, it suited Tipp down to the ground to have Barrett marking Kelly in his most comfortable position. Overall, Barrett did well on Kelly today.

The second have left a lot to be desired as far as I'm concerned though. I do have sympathy with the players , as they were a victim of a crazy refereeing decision, but questions have to be asked why they changed they're attack so much. Dropping Ian Galvin out the field (when he was causing such problems inside) and then playing a direct brand of hurling into the outnumbered Shanagher was absolute madness. Complete madness. It just took our best players in the first have like Talyor and I. Galvin completely out of the game. What's worse, it allowed the Tipp backs space, when pressing them like in the first half, was always the way to go. It wasn't until Rodgers came on (who played very well) went back to 3 inside did Clare start playing well, but it was too late.

There was alot of positives to be taken from the game that gives me hope. Our full back line, all 3 of them, played outstanding. It's great seeing Cleary play his man tight like that, as he has usually been a bit stand-offish. He was given a very harsh free against him in the first half. Flanagan has been outstanding beside him too. Taylor and Ian Galvin had great first halves today.

Shanagher unfortunately was woeful, but we can't do much as he is the focal point of our attack. SOD is a huge loss imo, I know he was mostly playing wing forward, but I think we need another player in beside Shanagher that can win direct ball. You could see with Ronan Maher dropping deep, Tipp were ready and waiting to deal with Shanagher, and they know as 90% of our direct ball goes into him. Rodgers actually improved things alot as he is a conventional inside forward too and can take pressure of Shanagher (even if he is so young).

Take the third quarter out of it I thought Clare were 5 points the better team BUT that third quarter is such a huge impact it's impossible to overlook it. Today was Shanagher's 17th championship match (quoting Ger Canning here).

We need an 11, someone that'll tie up a couple of defenders, win ball, score a couple of scores. We had that in Conlon but he's doing alright where he is now so it's hard to know what to do, David Mc was decent in the forwards back in the under 21 days, might be worth a punt.

Ryan Taylor had his best performance by far today, he was immense I thought.

Not so sure. As I mentioned on another forum Clare led by 1-7 to 0-4 in the first half and between that and Kelly's goal they were outscored by 1-9 to 0-4 and that's with 15 players. Plus the Clare goalkeeper was far busier. Tipperary could have been out of sight.

The goalie had 3 good saves, but 2 of those shots were under pressure. We had a brilliant first quarter but let Tipp back into it, I think we were level at the water break, we led by 2 at half time, I think we were down by 6 at the next water break and ended up losing by 4

Open to correction on the last water break

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Very good post, would nearly agree with it 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

Eibhear Quiligan- 8.5/10 lost points for some bad moments but good puck outs and two excellent saves. Really a good prospect for us
    Rory Hayes-9/another great performance for Hayes I mean really he's right below Barrett and Finn in terms of Corner Backs, truly an excellent hurler.
    Paul Flanagan-8.5 Also utterly Immense if you ask me and was up John McGrath's hole all day long, gave him a hard time with every single ball.
    Diarmuid Ryan-8 very good today, didn't go forward as much but moped up a lot of ball and seemed really strong held
    John Conlon-8 very good performance again, really held well, came under pressure abit but I really like him as a centre back.
    Paidi Fitz- 7 Also good, seems like a good player for the future
    Colm Galvin-6.5 not too bad but faded as the game went on, not bad but we've seen better from him
    Cathal Malone-7 I thought he was good, abit quiet but showed up when he was needed. He's getting criticisms but I thought he was good.
    Aron Shangher-6 an improvement to me but ultimately didn't go quite aswell. Got a good point at the start but hit a crazy wide later on.
    Tony Kelly-8 very solid but could have been better, Barret did the best he could
    Aidan McCarthy-6 not bad but gave away a single tackle for that penalty, other than he was good.
    David Reidy-7 not bad at all two good points and he had a serious work rate.
    Ian Galvin 8- Could have got a 10 because he was pure excellent in the first half but quieted down due to confusing tactics.
    Ryan Taylor 8- Very good in the first half but sadly came out of it in the second. However he's definitely a good prospects.

overall I thought he we had a good showing, I mean mostly eights is nothing to scoff at. One big positive is how much it's showing we can get out of Ian Galvin. If the tactics are right he could be deadly.

Eibhear Quiligan- 8.5/10 lost points for some bad moments but good puck outs and two excellent saves. Really a good prospect for us
    Rory Hayes-9/another great performance for Hayes I mean really he's right below Barrett and Finn in terms of Corner Backs, truly an excellent hurler.
    Paul Flanagan-8.5 Also utterly Immense if you ask me and was up John McGrath's hole all day long, gave him a hard time with every single ball.
    Diarmuid Ryan-8 very good today, didn't go forward as much but moped up a lot of ball and seemed really strong held
    John Conlon-8 very good performance again, really held well, came under pressure abit but I really like him as a centre back.
    Colm Galvin-6.5 not too bad but faded as the game went on, not bad but we've seen better from him
    Cathal Malone-7 I thought he was good, abit quiet but showed up when he was needed. He's getting criticisms but I thought he was good.
    Aron Shangher-6 an improvement to me but ultimately didn't go quite aswell. Got a good point at the start but hit a crazy wide later on.
    Tony Kelly-8 very solid but could have been better, Barret did the best he could
    Aidan McCarthy-6 not bad but gave away a single tackle for that penalty, other than he was good.
    Ian Galvin 8- Could have got a 10 because he was pure excellent in the first half but quieted down due to confusing tactics.
    Ryan Taylor 8- Very good in the first half but sadly came out of it in the second. However he's definitely a good prospects.

overall I thought he we had a good showing, I mean mostly eights is nothing to scoff at. One big positive is how much it's showing we can get out of Ian Galvin. If the tactics are right he could be deadly.

You forgot Conor Cleary

Take the third quarter out of it I thought Clare were 5 points the better team BUT that third quarter is such a huge impact it's impossible to overlook it. Today was Shanagher's 17th championship match (quoting Ger Canning here).

We need an 11, someone that'll tie up a couple of defenders, win ball, score a couple of scores. We had that in Conlon but he's doing alright where he is now so it's hard to know what to do, David Mc was decent in the forwards back in the under 21 days, might be worth a punt.

Ryan Taylor had his best performance by far today, he was immense I thought.

Agreed, having a presence in the half forward line would be a huge help.

Just to clarify, my point was Rodger is so young, if we were to start him. Just to have another player in close with Shanagher. I taught Rodgers impressed coming on.

I think our direct ball is really telegraphed. It’s nearly always to right corner forward. You could see Roman Maher and Kennedy waiting for it so they could latch onto the breaks. Also, with Shanagher over to the corner, he can’t properly link up with anyone when he does win it. Now I know full well why he is right corner forward, he can’t hit the ball off his right, but I still think he should be on the edge of the square.

My front 8 would be something like Galvin, Kelly, Malone, McCarthy, Taylor, Rodgers, Shanagher, Galvin the next day. McInerney wing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Do any of you Clare folk think Lohan’s performances during the ‘sos uisce’ are a bit too animated. Real old school roaring and bawling with lots of ‘f’ words etc…..

Penalty decision was mad but watching as a neutral Tipperary just had that bit more quality/class all around and would have probably won regardless of the peno and black card……they had 3 or 4 wides in the last five mins that on another day would have gone over and winning margin could have been 8 pts r more

Lots to be positive about as Clare supporters though. Following the defeat to Antrim how many of you wanted Lohan’s head (and red helmet ) on a platter…??

PS. who was the player who made his debut today duignan was saying he is 30 plus…..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Do any of you Clare folk think Lohan’s performances during the ‘sos uisce’ are a bit too animated. Real old school roaring and bawling with lots of ‘f’ words etc

I think you are forgetting we have had Davy before😁 Lohan is a Zen master in comparison.

Eibhear Quiligan- 4/10. 3 good saves but a shocker of a goal and his puck outs were poor. Seemed to lose the head after fouling the ball in the first half.
    Rory Hayes, Conor Cleary, Paul Flanagan-9. I can't seperate them, as a line they dominated both their direct opponents and anyone running at them. Great performance and I can't seperate them. They were let down by those behind and in front of them unfortunately.
    Diarmuid Ryan- 7 solid all day, held his position well
    John Conlon-8, I'm almost at the point where I'd question why he wasn't here a long time ago. Not great at tackling but his reading of the game as well as his distribution and fielding more than makes up for it.
    Paidi Fitz- 7 I think the goals came from his wing, messed up on a few puck outs
    Colm Galvin- 6 Our midfield was terrible today, went missing, no work rate, no nothing, only reason he gets more than Malone is he didn't have as many stupid wides
    Cathal Malone-3 Some terrible wides, passes and decisions, never seemed to be in the right place and he gave away from stupid frees.
    Aron Shangher- 5 won some great ball but never seemed to do the right thing with it, very disappointing.
    Tony Kelly-6 seems harsh and probably is because of what we expect from him, but a terrible wide from a free and a stupid attempt at a point, Tipp marshalled him well and his man should have been sent off.
    Aidan McCarthy-6 stupid yellow card/penalty, couple of decent scores and the fact that a wing forward is given a black card shows the work he was doing
    David Reidy-3 always seems to make the wrong decision, loves running into trouble, gave up on a few balls, between him and Malone for worst performers.
    Ian Galvin 6- Thought he was going to be a 10 with the start he had but he completely disappeared after a barnstorming start, almost as if he'd enough done.
    Ryan Taylor 9- If we could get 6 of him we'd win an All Ireland, never gave up on anything, couple of good scores, harried all day, very harsh to be taken off I thought but he gave it his all.
    Subs - Eibhear Quiligan- 8.5/10 lost points for some bad moments but good puck outs and two excellent saves. Really a good prospect for us
    Aidan McCarthy-6 not bad but gave away a single tackle for that penalty, I think he missed a sitter when Rodgers was saved but I'm not sure it was him

Subs - McInerney (53) - I missed him coming on as it was for the black card, can't recall him doing anything so I don't think it'd be fair to give him a rating.
    Rodgers (59) - 6 should have scored a goal but the fact that he got a goal chance tells a lot, I think he had a bad wide but I'm not sure it was him so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. It's a disgrace he's not allowed play for the under 20s now by the way.
    Fitzgerald (59) - 7 he made a nuisance of himself, tackled, harried, did what you'd expect of a sub.

Management - 5 - The lack of subs is terrible and I'm docking a lot of marks for that but we let the penalty dictate the game, we should have gotten on with it and ignored it, we were better than Tipp for a lot of it but we didn't seem to make any adjustments.

That would also mean that Jason Forde was closer to the Ennis Road than the goal when he put over two sideline cuts in 30 seconds. Hadn't thought of it like that. Savage.

• Advertisement

Agreed, having a presence in the half forward line would be a huge help.

Just to clarify, my point was Rodger is so young, if we were to start him. Just to have another player in close with Shanagher. I taught Rodgers impressed coming on.

I think our direct ball is really telegraphed. It’s nearly always to right corner forward. You could see Roman Maher and Kennedy waiting for it so they could latch onto the breaks. Also, with Shanagher over to the corner, he can’t properly link up with anyone when he does win it. Now I know full well why he is right corner forward, he can’t hit the ball off his right, but I still think he should be on the edge of the square.

My front 8 would be something like Galvin, Kelly, Malone, McCarthy, Taylor, Rodgers, Shanagher, Galvin the next day. McInerney wing back.

Our direct ball is a diagonal ball, if our right wing back has the ball he's going to play it over to the opposite wing, the problem with that is that it's slow ball and the defender can make a play on it.

Advertisement