Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Rosita wrote: »
    That would also mean that Jason Forde was closer to the Ennis Road than the goal when he put over two sideline cuts in 30 seconds. Hadn't thought of it like that. Savage.

When Tony had 1 from the same spot, maybe closer in, he dropped it short. In fact we dropped about 6 balls short.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Do any of you Clare folk think Lohan’s performances during the ‘sos uisce’ are a bit too animated. Real old school roaring and bawling with lots of ‘f’ words etc…..

Penalty decision was mad but watching as a neutral Tipperary just had that bit more quality/class all around and would have probably won regardless of the peno and black card……they had 3 or 4 wides in the last five mins that on another day would have gone over and winning margin could have been 8 pts r more

Lots to be positive about as Clare supporters though. Following the defeat to Antrim how many of you wanted Lohan’s head (and red helmet ) on a platter…??

PS. who was the player who made his debut today duignan was saying he is 30 plus…..?

No one who follows hurling in Clare had an issue with Lohan after the early rounds of the league. It was reported by some outside the county that he was under pressure but that’s bs. Everyone in Clare knows the circumstances. Lazy journalism. Lohan is very popular with the Clare support. But there are some reporters who might not be unbiased when it comes to matters in Clare.

That was Paidi Fitzpatrick, late in his career when he made the panel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

No one who follows hurling in Clare had an issue with Lohan after the early rounds of the league. It was reported by some outside the county that he was under pressure but that’s bs. Everyone in Clare knows the circumstances. Lazy journalism. Lohan is very popular with the Clare support. But there are some reporters who might not be unbiased when it comes to matters in Clare.

That was Paidi Fitzpatrick, late in his career when he made the panel.

Absolutely, 100%, Lohan has 3 years at the helm which we all hope will result in us being at the top table again, if it doesn't it can be reviewed. People might be against the county board or certain officials but no-one is against the teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

An awful lot of positives yesterday. Brian Lohan and his team have really brought this group forward this year.

Two big learnings that I'd like to see Clare management take from it. First of all, we handled the sin bin very poorly and we really fell apart for those 10 minutes. Yes, it was a horrendous decision but once it's made, we need to deal with it. We should have tried to slow the game down a bit more and regain our composure. I felt we kept going at 100 mph and this suited Tipp with the extra man.

Also, we really have to improve our use of subs. I was roughly on the 40 and our forwards were in front of me for the 2nd half. With 20 minutes to go it was obvious that Galvin, Shannaher, Taylor, Reidy all looked knackered. They had put in a massive shift up to to then. When Rodgers came in for the last 10, the forward line immediately looked more potent and we were unlucky not to get at least one goal. I think making those changes 10 minutes earlier could have made a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

I taught Michael Verney made a good point on the OurGame podcast this morning.

Clare really just need to just dust themselves down now and put Sunday behind them. You can't let one refereeing decision define the season, in a similar way that the 'ghost goal' decision scuppered and defined Waterford's 2018 season (ironically against Tipp in Limerick). The reality is Clare did lose their way in the 2nd half yesterday and it's important that Lohan gets the lads fully refocused now.

And there is alot to be positive about so far this season. Alot of players have taken strong steps forward in their games from last year, most notably Hayes, Cleary, Flanagan, Ryan, Kelly, Taylor, I. Galvin, McCarthy. The season is far from over and we can beat any of the teams in the qualifiers.

I'm actually kind of hoping for Galway. It would be a tie that would really focus the players and could ignite our season if we won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

letowski wrote: »
    I'm actually kind of hoping for Galway. It would be a tie that would really focus the players and could ignite our season if we won.

I'd like anyone except Wexford. We could do without the BS circus that would create. Cork, Galway, Antrim, Laois..... No baggage and no side shows - just get on and hurl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

When is the draw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Figerty

letowski wrote: »
    I taught Michael Verney made a good point on the OurGame podcast this morning.

Clare really just need to just dust themselves down now and put Sunday behind them. You can't let one refereeing decision define the season, in a similar way that the 'ghost goal' decision scuppered and defined Waterford's 2018 season (ironically against Tipp in Limerick). The reality is Clare did lose their way in the 2nd half yesterday and it's important that Lohan gets the lads fully refocused now.

And there is alot to be positive about so far this season. Alot of players have taken strong steps forward in their games from last year, most notably Hayes, Cleary, Flanagan, Ryan, Kelly, Taylor, I. Galvin, McCarthy. The season is far from over and we can beat any of the teams in the qualifiers.

What scuppered Waterford was two games in Limerick two weeks in a row against a rested opposition. That was far more significant that the lost goal. I was at that match and Waterford were dead on their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Jizique

When is the draw?

Monday, after Laois v Antrim

When is the draw?

Next Monday morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

BnB wrote: »
    I'd like anyone except Wexford. We could do without the BS circus that would create. Cork, Galway, Antrim, Laois..... No baggage and no side shows - just get on and hurl

I'd be of the exact same opinion. I'm actually withered from all the media surrounding Clare GAA this year. Last thing we need is another media circus about something controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Clareman wrote: »
    Eibhear Quiligan- 4/10. 3 good saves but a shocker of a goal and his puck outs were poor. Seemed to lose the head after fouling the ball in the first half.
    Rory Hayes, Conor Cleary, Paul Flanagan-9. I can't seperate them, as a line they dominated both their direct opponents and anyone running at them. Great performance and I can't seperate them. They were let down by those behind and in front of them unfortunately.
    Diarmuid Ryan- 7 solid all day, held his position well
    John Conlon-8, I'm almost at the point where I'd question why he wasn't here a long time ago. Not great at tackling but his reading of the game as well as his distribution and fielding more than makes up for it.
    Paidi Fitz- 7 I think the goals came from his wing, messed up on a few puck outs
    Colm Galvin- 6 Our midfield was terrible today, went missing, no work rate, no nothing, only reason he gets more than Malone is he didn't have as many stupid wides
    Cathal Malone-3 Some terrible wides, passes and decisions, never seemed to be in the right place and he gave away from stupid frees.
    Aron Shangher- 5 won some great ball but never seemed to do the right thing with it, very disappointing.
    Tony Kelly-6 seems harsh and probably is because of what we expect from him, but a terrible wide from a free and a stupid attempt at a point, Tipp marshalled him well and his man should have been sent off.
    Aidan McCarthy-6 stupid yellow card/penalty, couple of decent scores and the fact that a wing forward is given a black card shows the work he was doing
    David Reidy-3 always seems to make the wrong decision, loves running into trouble, gave up on a few balls, between him and Malone for worst performers.
    Ian Galvin 6- Thought he was going to be a 10 with the start he had but he completely disappeared after a barnstorming start, almost as if he'd enough done.
    Ryan Taylor 9- If we could get 6 of him we'd win an All Ireland, never gave up on anything, couple of good scores, harried all day, very harsh to be taken off I thought but he gave it his all.
    Subs - Eibhear Quiligan- 8.5/10 lost points for some bad moments but good puck outs and two excellent saves. Really a good prospect for us
    Rory Hayes-9/another great performance for Hayes I mean really he's right below Barrett and Finn in terms of Corner Backs, truly an excellent hurler.
    Paul Flanagan-8.5 Also utterly Immense if you ask me and was up John McGrath's hole all day long, gave him a hard time with every single ball.
    Diarmuid Ryan-8 very good today, didn't go forward as much but moped up a lot of ball and seemed really strong held
    John Conlon-8 very good performance again, really held well, came under pressure abit but I really like him as a centre back.
    Paidi Fitz- 7 Also good, seems like a good player for the future
    Colm Galvin-6.5 not too bad but faded as the game went on, not bad but we've seen better from him
    Cathal Malone-7 I thought he was good, abit quiet but showed up when he was needed. He's getting criticisms but I thought he was good.
    Aron Shangher-6 an improvement to me but ultimately didn't go quite aswell. Got a good point at the start but hit a crazy wide later on.
    Tony Kelly-8 very solid but could have been better, Barret did the best he could
    Aidan McCarthy-6 not bad but gave away a single tackle for that penalty, I think he missed a sitter when Rodgers was saved but I'm not sure it was him
    David Reidy-7 not bad at all two good points and he had a serious work rate.
    Ian Galvin 8- Could have got a 10 because he was pure excellent in the first half but quieted down due to confusing tactics.
    Ryan Taylor 8- Very good in the first half but sadly came out of it in the second. However he's definitely a good prospects.

Subs - McInerney (53) - I missed him coming on as it was for the black card, can't recall him doing anything so I don't think it'd be fair to give him a rating.
    Rodgers (59) - 6 should have scored a goal but the fact that he got a goal chance tells a lot, I think he had a bad wide but I'm not sure it was him so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. It's a disgrace he's not allowed play for the under 20s now by the way.
    Fitzgerald (59) - 7 he made a nuisance of himself, tackled, harried, did what you'd expect of a sub.

Management - 5 - The lack of subs is terrible and I'm docking a lot of marks for that but we let the penalty dictate the game, we should have gotten on with it and ignored it, we were better than Tipp for a lot of it but we didn't seem to make any adjustments.

Think you are being a bit generous with scoring for the defenders considering lost the game and the amount of goal chances given up.
    Conlon was a 7 at best, Paidi Fitz was a 5 imo should have been taken off after 20 mins as wasn't offering anything from general play and was getting well beaten by his opponent who was creating goal chances.

Ridiculous giving Malone which is a 3 considering the amount of grass he covers, a 6 at least is fair.

Think you are being a bit generous with scoring for the defenders considering lost the game and the amount of goal chances given up.
    Conlon was a 7 at best, Paidi Fitz was a 5 imo should have been taken off after 20 mins as wasn't offering anything from general play and was getting well beaten by his opponent who was creating goal chances.

Ridiculous giving Malone which is a 3 considering the amount of grass he covers, a 6 at least is fair.

Of the 3 goals only 1 could be blamed on the full back line. Malone might have covered grass but I don't think he made a positive impact on any play.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Of the 3 goals only 1 could be blamed on the full back line. Malone might have covered grass but I don't think he made a positive impact on any play.
    Exactly. Hayes and Flanagan were immense yesterday.

Malone worked very hard throughout, he made a heap of tackles and was a presence nearly every time there was a ruck in the middle of the field. He is not the best striker of the ball for sure, which seems to be what that stupid rating is totally based on, completely ignoring the many Tipp attacks he broke down. He had quite a good game, huge workrate and hugely disruptive to Tipp on countless occasions.

Malone worked very hard throughout, he made a heap of tackles and was a presence nearly every time there was a ruck in the middle of the field. He is not the best striker of the ball for sure, which seems to be what that stupid rating is totally based on, completely ignoring the many Tipp attacks he broke down. He had quite a good game, huge workrate and hugely disruptive to Tipp on countless occasions.

I think that's a fair assessment. He was very much involved but not always effective.
    Aidan McCarthy never looking like getting to the pitch of the game by comparison.

The rating of Reidy is wrong too, he started very well, worked very hard, but faded in the second half. He was hardly alone in that though.

The rating of Reidy is wrong too, he started very well, worked very hard, but faded in the second half. He was hardly alone in that though.

Riedy was far more involved than given credit for, but it can't be expected of any player to do that for 70 minutes.

Figerty wrote: »
    I think that's a fair assessment. He was very much involved but not always effective.
    Aidan McCarthy never looking like getting to the pitch of the game by comparison.

Not always effective while on the ball, but effective in breaking down Tipp attacks and making it hard for them in possession, which is obviously a huge part of the game, especially on a day like yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

Eibhear Quiligan- 4/10. 3 good saves but a shocker of a goal and his puck outs were poor. Seemed to lose the head after fouling the ball in the first half.
    Rory Hayes, Conor Cleary, Paul Flanagan-9. I can't seperate them, as a line they dominated both their direct opponents and anyone running at them. Great performance and I can't seperate them. They were let down by those behind and in front of them unfortunately.
    Diarmuid Ryan- 7 solid all day, held his position well
    John Conlon-8, I'm almost at the point where I'd question why he wasn't here a long time ago. Not great at tackling but his reading of the game as well as his distribution and fielding more than makes up for it.
    Paidi Fitz- 7 I think the goals came from his wing, messed up on a few puck outs
    Colm Galvin- 6 Our midfield was terrible today, went missing, no work rate, no nothing, only reason he gets more than Malone is he didn't have as many stupid wides
    Cathal Malone-3 Some terrible wides, passes and decisions, never seemed to be in the right place and he gave away from stupid frees.
    Aron Shangher- 5 won some great ball but never seemed to do the right thing with it, very disappointing.
    Tony Kelly-6 seems harsh and probably is because of what we expect from him, but a terrible wide from a free and a stupid attempt at a point, Tipp marshalled him well and his man should have been sent off.
    Aidan McCarthy-6 stupid yellow card/penalty, couple of decent scores and the fact that a wing forward is given a black card shows the work he was doing
    David Reidy-3 always seems to make the wrong decision, loves running into trouble, gave up on a few balls, between him and Malone for worst performers.
    Ian Galvin 6- Thought he was going to be a 10 with the start he had but he completely disappeared after a barnstorming start, almost as if he'd enough done.
    Ryan Taylor 9- If we could get 6 of him we'd win an All Ireland, never gave up on anything, couple of good scores, harried all day, very harsh to be taken off I thought but he gave it his all.
    Subs - Eibhear Quiligan- 8.5/10 lost points for some bad moments but good puck outs and two excellent saves. Really a good prospect for us
    Rory Hayes-9/another great performance for Hayes I mean really he's right below Barrett and Finn in terms of Corner Backs, truly an excellent hurler.
    Paul Flanagan-8.5 Also utterly Immense if you ask me and was up John McGrath's hole all day long, gave him a hard time with every single ball.
    Diarmuid Ryan-8 very good today, didn't go forward as much but moped up a lot of ball and seemed really strong held
    John Conlon-8 very good performance again, really held well, came under pressure abit but I really like him as a centre back.
    Paidi Fitz- 7 Also good, seems like a good player for the future
    Colm Galvin-6.5 not too bad but faded as the game went on, not bad but we've seen better from him
    Cathal Malone-7 I thought he was good, abit quiet but showed up when he was needed. He's getting criticisms but I thought he was good.
    Aron Shangher-6 an improvement to me but ultimately didn't go quite aswell. Got a good point at the start but hit a crazy wide later on.
    Tony Kelly-8 very solid but could have been better, Barret did the best he could
    Aidan McCarthy-6 not bad but gave away a single tackle for that penalty, I think he missed a sitter when Rodgers was saved but I'm not sure it was him
    David Reidy-7 not bad at all two good points and he had a serious work rate.
    Ian Galvin 8- Could have got a 10 because he was pure excellent in the first half but quieted down due to confusing tactics.
    Ryan Taylor 8- Very good in the first half but sadly came out of it in the second. However he's definitely a good prospects.

Subs - McInerney (53) - I missed him coming on as it was for the black card, can't recall him doing anything so I don't think it'd be fair to give him a rating.
    Rodgers (59) - 6 should have scored a goal but the fact that he got a goal chance tells a lot, I think he had a bad wide but I'm not sure it was him so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. It's a disgrace he's not allowed play for the under 20s now by the way.
    Fitzgerald (59) - 7 he made a nuisance of himself, tackled, harried, did what you'd expect of a sub.

Management - 5 - The lack of subs is terrible and I'm docking a lot of marks for that but we let the penalty dictate the game, we should have gotten on with it and ignored it, we were better than Tipp for a lot of it but we didn't seem to make any adjustments.

McInerney....black card?

Fair play for you to put the time into his but how you an give Paidi Fitz a 7 and Cathal Malone a 3 is beyond me. Not Malones best game by any means but Fitz was well off it.

• Advertisement

caddy16 wrote: »
    McInerney....black card?
    I meant he came on around the time the black card was up
    caddy16 wrote: »
    Fair play for you to put the time into his but how you an give Paidi Fitz a 7 and Cathal Malone a 3 is beyond me. Not Malones best game by any means but Fitz was well off it.

Fitz probably benefits from a decent shift from the backs, looking back on it 5 or 6 would probably be a more accurate rating.

I'll stand by Malone's rating though, I can't remember him having a positive influence on the game at any stage.

Again, I don't think he had a positive play, either ran into trouble, gave the ball away easily or put it wide.

Well, he scored a point so there's that. Also worked very hard and made several positive passes in the first 20 minutes, although I'd accept he faded.
    Also Malone got two points from play, which is a fairly useful contribution along with a heap of tackles made, which was probably his best contribution.

Also Reidy set up Kelly's goal, that was clearly a great piece of play from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

When Tony had 1 from the same spot, maybe closer in, he dropped it short. In fact we dropped about 6 balls short.

Re Tony Kelly: every player in any sport has an off day. Look at Patrick Horgan the other night against LK, His shooting was not up to his usual high standard.
    I could not believe he missed out on scoring the penalty. A great save by Nicky Quaid.

cnoc wrote: »
    Re Tony Kelly: every player in any sport has an off day. Look at Patrick Horgan the other night against LK, His shooting was not up to his usual high standard.
    I could not believe he missed out on scoring the penalty. A great save by Nicky Quaid.

Barrett did a great job man marking Kelly but Kelly still scored 1-1 from play, he did have a bad wide from both play and a free but you can't fault his overall play.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭bonzothedog

Malone was good, bad wide aside. And I wouldn't have been a fan of his play in general.
    He is a workhorse in midfield and I have been impressed with him the past 2 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

Does anyone know the committee members that brought in this "cynical foul" rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

cnoc wrote: »
    Does anyone know the committee members that brought in this "cynical foul" rule.

GAA Standing Committee on Playing Rules
    David Hassan (Chair), Tracy Bunyan (Sec), Pat Daly, Seamus Kenny, Brian Cuthbert, Michael Delaney, David Collins, Alex McQuillen, Frank Murphy.

This is the most recent make-up of the committee I could find.
    I believe their term was supposed to be up recently but was extended due to COVID.

Before anyone asks yes that is Frank Murphy of Cork.

As a starting point the fact that there is one committee for both hurling and football, should be a massive massive red flag, especially when there is only 9 members.

The GAA media and pundits should really be focusing on this committee and the individuals involved given how their performance has been over the last couple of years in both codes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

What happened the minors.....

Advertisement