Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

there are other issues too , brennan has never been replaced not that that could be done easily , gavin cooney just back , dermot coughlin injured ,daragh bohanan and cathal o'connor injured ,podge injured , alan sweeney out , we cant afford injuries like that ,

i dont buy the argument about style , every team is doing it , the game between armagh v kerry was a copy of the meath clare game just played at a higher pace , lots of slow build up play by one team heavily reliant on one forward to get the majority of scores , the other kicking wide after wide , even kerry were getting caught with short kick outs its the nature of the game at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

I'll give you the injuries. Cillian Brennan is as good a full back as is in the country, hope injury isn't too bad and we were struggling in the middle of the park even before the O'Connor injury.

But come on don't even mention Clares attacking game in the same breath as Kerry. Kerry have a kicking game that's on another planet to what we could even dream of. But in fairness is there any Clare forward that would even make the Kerry squad. Cleary maybe.

yeah look your right , but its not as bleak as people think , we are getting into scoring areas but doing nothing when we get there , thats the most frustrating thing , we used to be a great team to shoot and score from out side the 45 , now all we are trying to win a free inside the 45

look we will do okay in munster no fear , sorry for all the football talk ,

first two games in munster are in thurles the next two are in ennis we really need to win one of the thurles games to really give us a chance , 3rd in the group will do but i quietly fancy us to do more than that , looking forward to it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't think there is a whole lot between ourselves, Cork, Tipp and Waterford, Limerick are on a different level but they haven't shown anything in the league so it's hard to know where they are at, considering we have them in the last group game where they might already have qualified could make a big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

First game v Tipp in Thurles is crucial.

Lose that and we’re in trouble.

they’re in transition and missing Callanan and Maher who are not easily replaced. If we’re serious about going far, we have to win that game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

With only 4 games and needing to win at least 2 (in reality minimum of 2 wins and a draw) to qualify the first game is crucial, win you "only" need 3 points from the next 3 games, lose and you need 5 points from the next 3 games, when you have 1 team seemingly miles ahead of the rest that makes it even more crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Clare footballers aren't going to get relegated so next year will be a 7th year in a row in Div 2. A remarkable achievement and a great job Colm Collins has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Clare have to be beating Tipperary in Thurles. They have to start like a train because as bad as Tipp are they still start fast. We shouldn't give them a foothold in the game at all or they ll grow into it. Id have my concerns about that game as our record is shocking against both good and bad Tipp teams and this Tipp team isn't good.

I dont see us taking points off Cork or Warerford. I think the Limerick game in the old R.I.C field that we now call Cusack Park in Ennis will be the clincher for us. Please god Limerick will be already through. If not and we both need the points then I dont see us winning in a knock out game against them. They are too good right now.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Correct. I was critical of them after a few recent losses and a dour style of play but when you stand back and look at it, to be where they are with the resources at their disposal they are clearly punching above their weight.

Since this current Leauge format came in, in 08/09 of the 8 teams that were in div 4 back then 6 of them are still there.

Clare are the only team that have made the jump out of the clutches of div 3 and 4 and stayed out. That is all down to one man Colm Collins.

In football the leauge table doesn't lie and Clare are in around 14 out of 33 which is fair clipping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

Any one know the latest on the injury front is for the senior hurlers, especially Rogers and Shanagher?

I read something in the Clare Echo that David Reidy is gone for surgery.

but that Shane O'Donnell is back training with the panel for the past few weeks.

he is i think yeah , rodgers is still touch and go , doctors apparently have given o'donnell the all clear but he still has to be regularly assessed , mccarthy is finished for the year i believe which is huge also

ian galvin coming back the last day against galway is a massive boost , mcinerney and dirmuid ryan are going to be back also , with the young lads like meehan crotty and donellan we have plenty of cover though , whatever 3 teams that get out of munster will have a huge say in the all ireland big few weeks ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Clare did well in the first half versus Limerick in the u20 match, albeit with a gale at they're back. Up 1-02 to 0-12 at HT. They are missing Shane Meehan too, while Limerick have Coughlan, English and O'Niell out there. Clare are dominating the Limerick puckouts (a sentence I taught I'd never say on these boards!). But hopefully they can get the win here. Terence Fahy has them well organised.

That was unlucky. Limerick won by a point, 1-1 from Cathal O'Niell in the injury time. But plenty of good performances from our lads, there are some good prospects on the team.

Clare under 20's taking missed chances and stupidity to new levels tonight, should have been out of sight by half time and had at least 3 chances to pop over easy points in last 10 minutes but failed miserably, definitely got what they deserved in the end...

Definitely left it behind us on the balance of play. I think Meehan picking up that injury was a massive blow as it obviously was the goals that decided the game, and that's what he brings. Limerick's seniors on the other hand pulled them over the line. That said, I don't put a huge amount into underage results as much as performances, though they go hand in hand. I think after some of the results we've had underage the past few years, it was at least a good performance we can build off. Cork will be winning our group at this level nonetheless. There are some good players on this team, the full back line was excellent. Hogan obviously is going to be playing for the seniors very soon. Crotty was very good again, the free taker Punch. Hopefully the minors can follow up tonight with a good performance in Thurles next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

Colm Collins Championship/League Record as Clare manager.

There was a naivete in that under 20 performance which was disappointing. They got what they deserved in the end. Its a pity because they did all the hurling. Just poor game management, something many Clare teams have been guilty of.

The year looks bright overall. Like iv said before . It's all on the Tipperary game. Win that and the sunner opens up like a lotus on a pond surface. Lose it and we are frog spawn for another year.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

I was listening to Derrick Lynch on our most likely team to start v Tipp (senior hurling)

1-7 picks itself and is well settled, D.Ryan looks like being fit.

D.McI and Taylor in midfield, seems fine.

but he expects both Duggan and O’Donnell to start in the forwards, surely their lack of hurling is a massive issue for two of our forwards ??!

all these injuries in the forwards may come back to haunt us

Mark Rodgers is expected to be back fit towards end of Munster championship

• Advertisement

I dont see Shane O Donnell starting. He hasn't done enough hurling and starting would be unfair on him. I think he ll be back starting around round 3. Duggan will start id say. The forwards are fine. It's the backs where the game will be decided.

It would be great if we didn't give Tipperary a foothold in the game at the start. That's a tall order because they ll have played the week before and we ll be abit off the pace at the start. My big concern is we let Tipp start well and they grow in confidence.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

I wouldn't say the forwards are fine, Duggan hasn't played championship hurling since August 2018, 0' Donnell definitely wont be up to championship pace as gotten no Inter county game time since the 4th league game in 2021, Looks like Shanagher is still not available, with Rogers still not ready and the experienced Reidy unavailable [not to mention Aiden McCarthy] that's an awful lot of firepower to either be missing or coming in half-baked

I can't see SoD starting, he had a serious head injury, he'll need some amount of time to get his confidence back if nothing else, especially in his role as target man.

Another forward option would be Ian Galvin, but of course he has also had injury issues and not much hurling done (definitely sensing a trend here....)

In the 6 starting forward positions I guess we have T.Kelly, Malone, David Fitzgerald and probably Meehan nailed on starters at this point.

the other 2 to come from SOD, Duggan, Galvin, Crotty, maybe Ryan Taylor pushes forward, Rodgers coming back, Mounsey, Gavin Cooney, Domhnall MacMahon

a lot of people saying Crotty is just too young for senior championship, but you never know, stranger things have happened and we do have a lot of injuries

Ryan Taylor would be a guaranteed starter. I think he has started every championship game under Lohan, and was our best player in the last league game v Galway. I think Jason McCarthy will start midfield. And Shanagher is expected to be fit.

To be totally honest, don't really see all that much competition in the starting line-up, assuming Ryan, McCarthy, Reidy, Rodgers are all unavailable. Only position up for grabs is the 9 or 10 shirt between Golden and Duggan (Malone plays the other). If I had to guess, I think Golden would start over Duggan versus Tipp in Round 2 of the c'ship. So pretty much the same team that started versus Limerick in the league, except Shanagher for Mounsey.

Edit: I think Ryan will be fit to play Tipp, so there will be competition between Davy Mc And Browne for the other wing back spot.

A really good hard working and impressive performance from us v Tipp this evening in the Munster U20 Football championship. We won 3-15 to 2-5. All attention now focuses to Kerry for a place in the Munster final next Easter Monday. Could have scored another 2 to 3 goals and many more points only for poor shot selection and wayward accuracy. Brendy Rouine is going to be some player for club and county and got MOTM via Clare FM.

Can we improve our shooting efficiency and ratio as we won't have as many chances on goal against a highly rated Kerry team next week? If we can tidy up on a few more areas then we can certainly be a match for the Kingdom. Well done to Mikey Neylon, his management and his group of players.

Well done to all concerned. A note of caution though that was a particularly poor Tipperary crop and that was flagged beforehand by Tipp people.

A sterner test would probably have benefitted Clare more before the arrival of the Kingdom next Monday.

Best of luck to them and I'd imagine Neylon will be itching to banish the memories of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

First win over Tipp at u20/u21 since 1996. How many Rouine's are currently playing with Ennistymon? Is Brendy Beano son?

Clare 0-8 Tipp 0-8 at HT in the minors.

Very even game, although I think Clare will be disappointed they don't have the lead. The freetaker has missed a few frees in front of the posts and nearly had a goal before the break. But overall, this is a much better performance by a Clare minor team than the past 2 years. Looks like this team has some very good players, particularly Stritch and O'Neill.

Hopefully they can get the win, would be great for underage hurling in Clare.

• Advertisement

judging by the final score line doesn't look as though that Clare team is up to much, Cork team to beat again, racking up huge score this evening

Advertisement