Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

With the footballers it feels like we're just not scoring enough

Similar to ourselves, Meath can be quite inconsistent, so I really don't know what to expect on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I wouldnt know much about the football to comment but if they lost to Limerick they ain't good.

In the hurling I think this will be a litmus test. Are we matching Limerick physically? Im not sure. They have a distinct size advantage and Clare have no one like a Hayes or Hegarty. The Derby side of it makes it so interesting. Clare could do with the silverware more than Limerick. That's for sure but Limerick seem to be very hungry still

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Peter Duggan? Obviously Limerick have a size advantage but we still have a very good chance. Hopefully we get a dry day.

I don't think Limerick look as intimidating as last year or even after their first round. None of their other three games have been one sided, nothing like the All Ireland semi final or final last year. They still deserve to be favourites, even warm favourites, but Clare definitely have a chance.

Clare definately have a chance but alot has to go right. More had to go right for Clare than Limerick. Cleary and Rory Hayes have to be excellent and so does Kelly and Shane O Donnell and thats to compete. Maybe 3 of them will deliver hugely but if we look at Limericks performances over the last 3 years it's finals where they peak. They ll score about 30 points on Sunday going on past finals. Clare have the potential to do so but they probably won't. Its a big new occasion for alot of these Clare players. Have Rory Hayes or Ryan Taylor played infront of 46,000 in a Munster final? That would be a concern. For me looking at it coldly I see Limerick winning this with abit to spare

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

What impact does Cian Lynch being out have on Limerick getting 30 points though? No team can afford to lose a guy like Lynch really, especially in Limerick's case with Peter Casey out too and Hayes and Flanagan not going great either.

I think if those 4 were completely fit and completely in form you'd make a fair argument for Limerick being favourites, but currently the form guide favours Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Clare football team to play Meath.

Tristan O’Callaghan;

Manus Doherty, Conor Jordan, Cian O’Dea;

Alan Sweeney, Ciaran Russell, Jamie Malone;

Cathal O’Connor, Darren O’Neill;

Pearse Lillis, Eoin Cleary, Emmet McMahon;

Gavin Cooney, David Tubridy, Aaron Griffin

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ch20

Limited amount of terrace tickets going on sale at 10 am this morning for the game on Sunday. https://mobile.twitter.com/MunsterGAA/status/1532633581121638400

Lynch definately is a significant loss for Limerick but I think Peter Casey will be on the bench. Flanagan is not in great form as you say but Hayes...different gravy. He scored a goal,missed 2 handy points and won a scorable free in a new position and he's not at the top of his game.

Limerick are going for 4 in a row. That's phenomenal and are unbackable in the bookies. Current form points to a highly competitive game. I see Clare being highly tuned in but the consistency of Limerick is outrageous and player for player they are abit ahead even without Lynch. The Likes of David Fitzgerald could go onto a new level Sunday but he can't be spoken of on the same level as a Hegarty or Hayes..yet anyway. Up the Banner

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Really can't wait for this game. Munster finals that feature Clare and Limerick are historically quite a rare thing, this is just the 6th Munster final between the team in the province's 134 years of competition. It's setup to be a great occasion, sell-out Thurles, there is nowhere else you'd want to be.

Some of the matchups, or potential matchups are very intriguing. I think the crucial one on Sunday for Clare is dealing with Aaron Gillane, who I think has 3-22 in 3 games. It will be huge for us if Cleary can hold him to a low/average scoring return from play, especially in stopping him from getting a goal. That said, Limerick can pose a real conundrum to Clare if they line up Hayes and Gillane in the full forward line. Naturally you would think that Cleary would then take Hayes, but Gillane is so dangerous around the square under the high ball (see 2 goals v Tipp), realistically Cleary has to be the only one marking Gillane this weekend to deal with that aerial threat.

It's going to be interesting to see where Hayes lines out for Limerick. He just isn't as effective (or I would say comfortable) playing inside with his back towards the goal, particularly when he is shooting. He is much more effective, often devastating, facing goal and driving through the middle third like last year. A part of me has this feeling Kiely is going to drop Dan Morrisey this Sunday and bring Hayes back to mark Fitzgearld. Fitzgearld did a huge amount of damage the last day against Limerick and has become a massive player for us, both in terms of scoring but also winning ball and laying it off. But I suppose with Limerick missing 2 key forwards, I get why they want him up there.

Just on us, curbing Byrnes' influence will also be a priority, obviously. But I would take more of a proactive approach compared to the last day and put Shane O'Donnell on him. I get why they put Taylor on him a few weeks ago, Taylor is a hard worker. But I think Tipp had is right in Round 4 to put a pacey, scoring forward in Ger Browne on him. This think Browne got 3 that day and a few bad wides. At the end of the day, Byrnes will hurl his own game and will dominate either way, so were better off to just take what we can get there.

Looking like the weather isn't going to be great unfortunately. I'm hopeful this weekend, but ultimately Limerick are deserving favourites and have the better players. But this derby usually takes on a life of its own and we definitely have a chance this Sunday of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

How will Limerick mark Kelly is the question. Spare man at the back or man to man with a runner between him and the ball. That's the question. The more we threaten up from the less Limerick can drive forward. It's a balancing act, but I feel Limericks Midfield will get the better or ours, which could be crucial.

Interesting during the week Limerick players were talking about the atmosphere at the match being great and how they wanted it. Clare on the other hand is very quiet.

• Advertisement

Yeah I imagine they’ll be talking this week about trying to get closer to Kelly and play him more physically. But I think they’ll continue with holding their shape/structure at the back. The midfield battle is going to be huge no doubt. I think Lohan will pick Golden this evening actually, I think he’ll want to at least compete physically there above anything else. WOD was very good in Ennis the last day.

Limerick’s team named. Flanagan, Gillane and Hayes playing inside. Problematic matchups there for us given their size and aerial ability. Though that full forward line would be problematic for anybody lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

Cleary will take Gillane. Haye on Flanagan etc. no easy task.

Riedy may start at midfield to give us an engine. I'd never regard Golden as Physical so I can't see that happening and being a success. Lohan tried the physical McCarthy and it didn't work.

Just saw the team there, Reidy is in. Infairness Lohan has always been a fan of Reidy and usually picks him when he is fit. I imagine it will be at centre forward, allowing Taylor to play in his best position at midfield.

Mark Rodgers back in the 26 is great news. No Aidan Mc unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

this will be the 7th final between them

1918, 1955, 1974, 1981, 1994,1995, 2022,

incredible to think they have locked horns so few times in finals since in all started back in 1888

Yeah, seems to be the cases, J.McCarthy and Golden missing out.

seems J.McCarthy not even among the subs, is he injured or something?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Seeded draw up until the early 90s meant that Cork and Tipp were kept apart until the final

Minors much more lively today. 0-14 to 0-5 up, with the wind, though a healthy lead to be bringing into the break nonetheless.

Minors are into the All Ireland semi final. 0-21 to 1-12. Great achievement for them to make it this far.

Any idea when or where that semi final might be ?

its v Offaly I presume

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

minors played well, both semi finals going to be in Croke park, if they play like they did today I'd give them a decent chance of getting over Offaly, a lot will depend in how they handle occasion

18th of June those semis will be on, it’s a Saturday. That’s also All Ireland QF day too, but those fixtures will be on in separate venues as supernova says above.

While I like Colm Collins, the footie that we have played this year is pure putrid. Looks like we are heading out of the championship against a sub standard Meath team too tonight.

The day Colm Collins calls it a day as Clare senior football manager, we are in big trouble. Super win from us great stuff, huge fight and huge character. What a start to the weekend after the Clare minors success earlier. Hon the Banner!!

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

Didn't take you long to change your mind on Colm........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

good win for the footballers but the first 18 minutes of the second half was a terrible display , we kicked somthing like 1-8 away between bad wides and a missed penalty , we had a few more goal chances harry hogan was probably one of meath's best players tonight

last 18 minutes we should fight and got over the line , biggest cheer of the night was when manus doherty got the insurance point , hes been our best player all year league and championship , our backs are as good as most counties but our forwards are really struggling , conor jordan has been a really good addition to the panel , keelan and podge need to start the next day , maybe move jamie malone up in to the forwards from half back

delighted for pearse to get the goal too hes also been a total warrior again lost his father after the down game who was his biggest supporter , the likes of pearse , cahtal o'connor keelan , and eoin cleary owe us nothing , its time for the likes of cooney arron griffin and emmit mcmahon to step it up another gear now

limerick, donegal,roscommon or kildare in the draw monday morning

really good win laois gave plenty of it to galway , strich looks really good in midfield , the backs have been very impressive all year gunning , cahill. heagerty and o'halloran look like really good prospects

its tough on both of them but with rodgers back , not sure why paudie fitz is ahead of jason though , really looking forward to tomorrow now , today has been an excellent day for clare gaa , and if truth be known alot of it is down to the sucess of the hurlers this summer . they have the county full of confidence at the moment

I'd hope repeat pairing are avoided, so we cannot play Limerick again.

So Donegal, Kildare or Roscommon.

• Advertisement

no we can play limerick again , its an open draw

Advertisement