Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Ah, you’re right. Repeat pairings avoided at quarter final stage, not for this round.

a rematch v Limerick is probably the most winnable, but the least interesting

referee here definitely giving frees much easier to Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Great game today. Absolutely fantastic. Clare were brilliant and did everything they could. A goal at any stage would have seen them home id say. I hope they can recover and give Wexford all they have

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭moby2101

seriously?????!!!!!!

were you at the match/ see it on tv ?

keenan is an utter disgrace. At least 2 Clare players should have seen red .

its a bit of a cliché at this stage but GAA need to do something about the clowns they have referring games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭moby2101

Agreed, great game Limerick were diabolical but Clare couldn’t land the winning score. Limerick for 3 in a row

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

as good a game as i have ever attended , it will be tough to recover , i imagine its all recovery sessions and sharp drills for the week ,

we fought today and you can only be proud of that , we are disappointed though , todays defeat has the feel of the late 70s defeats to cork , we lost to a great side then and we lost to a great side today both teams will be forever remembered in greatness there the teams you want to take down if you are clare hard to take but very proud

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

hit a few wides in the second half alright that were poor , there was nothing diabolical about the game though , or either team

Best game of hurling in years,yesterday

Clare got the tactics fairly spot on,and forced limerick to adbandon the playing through middle and go long with ball instead,warm the heart of any tradionlist....have likely set the template for whomever is gonna eventually knock em off their perch

Though a sweeper may have helped curtail flanagan and gillane from play??,the latter with some uncharacteristic wides,i felt limerick were getting their scores that bit easier......great game of hurling,and no reason clare cant push on and play them again in the final,they need fear noone left,and i certainly underestimated em & lohan at start of the year

Drawn against Roscommon in the football.

hard to see us out scoring them but you never know, we drew in the league with them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Still gutted after that yesterday. What an effort they put into that game. Just think they were spent by end of extra time with all the energy they had already put in to deal with Limerick physically.

think we needed the likes of Golden or Browne in there to deal with the physical nature of the middle third.

Limerick just got their scores much easier, we had to work so hard and just couldn’t get a few easy points.

a week of recovery and then get the focus but on for Wexford. They probably feel like they owe us after the last two meetings.

if we come through the quarter final, do we know which day Clare play the semi final?? The Saturday or sunday

• Advertisement

The Saturday (July 2), if we qualify

Limerick play on the Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

Let's be a little critical of the second half of extra time.

In the last few minutes we wound up with Mounsey, Meehan, Crotty and Rogers in the forwards against seasoned seniors and we wound up with Reidy back on the field. I don't know why Brown wasn't used as Cian Nolan hasn't been bedded into senior yet, so we finished the game with 5 rookies on the field and a sub coming back on.

Shannaher was on the sideline but not togged etc. Perhaps we wound up at the critical time in extra time without enough experience on the field. I'm not sure we have it 100% right on the sideline yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

That was such a long day yesterday, I don't think I was ever as tired and drained after a match that yesterday, that probably includes the 2013 final. There was a huge atmosphere in Thurles yesterday, there were queues outside the pubs at 11.30am. Then the game itself, I think the teams were level 15 times.

Obviously very proud of the team, they gave it everything which is all we could ask for. We played Limerick exactly how you should, stood up to them physically and worked like trojans. We were able to stymie their short game and made the midfield a real battleground. In the end, we just couldn't maintain that intensity and aggression into extra time, they were that was a bit more fitter and experienced and eventually got the space they needed to pull away.

It's just a little frustrating, in thinking back the last two times we've played them. They scored two goals, we hardly create a goal chance in either game. Both Limerick's goals were most untimely, they scored them right in the middle when we were on top and looking to build a lead. I suppose its a mark of the true champions they are, you just cant pin them down. But Clare ourselves will need to score goals to beat them.

It was a little frustrating too that our direct ball into the full forward line yielded such little return again. I taught we had improved on this since the Waterford game, but it was again quite one-dimensional yesterday. I just think with Mark Rodgers back or even Shane Meehan, Lohan possibly should give one of them the start for the next day. Galvin is a good player, but I think teams know that anytime we hit the ball in direct, its always to Duggan and teams are ready for that. You could see Hannon instinctively running to Duggan when the ball went in. I think someone like Rodgers could offer a different threat the next day because he can win his own ball and score.

I'm quite worried about the Wexford match, to be totally honest. I think Wexford have a good team and will be hell bent and not being put out of the championship by the same team 3 years straight. Lohan said after the game that Clare had put a lot into the game yesterday, I think the team is going to need a good few days to recover. Some players like Kelly, Ryan, Flanagan came off injured too. It's going to be hard to lift it again. I have a feeling we will be travelling all the way down to Cork too for the match unfortunately .

It was a little strange that all the subs were young lads.

J.Brown or Golden didn’t get on.

but hindsight is a great thing. I thought we needed legs inside and that Mounsey, Meehan and Rodgers could really stretch a tiring Limerick back line. Obviously didn’t turn out that way, but massive credit to the Limerick defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

In fairness to Meehan I thought he showed really well when he came on. Scored a good point, pinged a serious pass to TK for what was arguably a goal opportunity and was pulled down for a free after winning a scrappy ball too. Didn't see as much from Rodgers or Mounsey. Definitely thought he was the sharpest of the 3 yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

How can the powers that be justify dragging Clare and Roscommon to Dublin for a match a ridiculous decision. That game could be played in Tuam. Are these people oblivious to the cost of fuel and the cost of everything else in Dublin.

Game is going to be played in an empty 80,000 seater stadium with no atmosphere, surely someone has to shout stop to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭GalwayMark

Why don't all 4 teams play their qualifiers in Tullamore it's in close proximity to those particular counties and would only be an hour or two to get home from on a Saturday evening if there's no other games on that day.

Shur that would be the sensible thing to do. Who thought it would be a good idea to bring Clare, Mayo and Roscommon to Dublin on a Saturday afternoon with a soccer International also taking place in the Aviva. I wonder has it something to do with Sky covering both games.

It doesn't effect Clare so much because the have no support anyway apart from diehards and family of the players but this is a pisstake of the Roscommon and Mayo supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I definitely think its a case of suiting the broadcasters rather than the spectators attending and I don't like that at all.

I think Gaa are banking on Mayo to bring their usual huge support to get this double header over the line, this could be the straw that breaks the camels back for the Mayo support.

If they vote with their and stay at home, there could be an embarrassing attendance and a soulless experience for any one that is present.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Every player wants to play in Croke Park so I think it's a great thing, 92 was so special to play championship in Croke Park. I'm sure every player would prefer to play in a full Croke Park than a half empty Tuam, there was only 2,460 at the match last Saturday so no matter where they play it'll struggle to be full.

They are not u12s this play in Croke Park argument is nonsense. Most of those players have played in Croke Park on a few occasions. If it was played in a provincial ground there could be up to 10k at it and there would be a bit of atmosphere. I was there when they played westmeath in mulligar in a qualifier a few years ago, there was a fine crowd and it made for an enjoyable evening. Playing in an empty Croke Park is a dispiriting experience for players and supporters alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭funnyname

2016 round 4 of the qualifiers, Clare Vs Roscommon, it was played in Galway at Pearse Stadium and the attendance was only 4,100.

GAA only looking after Sky by bringing us to Croker.

Yes, Salthill is another disaster of a venue, even though there was a small crowd that day traffic was gridlocked and a lot of people missed the first half of the game.

If there was any copon the first team out of the hat would get a home draw and at least ennis or Roscommon would get much needed match day revenue.

Some neck fixing this match for Croke Park zero thought for the lowly supporter. I'd safely say not more than a couple of hundred will travel from Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Yeah I agree that it's madness taking that football game to Croke Park. You ll have less than a 1000 at it from Clare. That's a certainty. Mayo will travel lime they always do and Roscommon but the Kildare support has fallen offa cliff.

Does anyone know for sure if the potential Wexford v Clare match is fixed for Cork? Im booking flights for it and would fly into Cork if its on there.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Comparing 1992 to this really is chalk and cheese. I am sure players would love to play in a fairly full Croke Park, maybe All Ireland Quarter final but these back door journeyman games are a different beast.

I'd say the Mayo fans will be staying at home too, things are expensive and lower level games will be one of the many fallguys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Probably won't know until after the their game with Kerry this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

Just an interesting statistic since the hurling provincial round robin was introduced in 2018

Games played by each Munster county = 12

Clare 8 wins, 3 Losses, 1 draw - total accumulated points 17

Limerick 7 wins, 3 losses, 2 draws - total accumulated points 16

Cork 6 wins, 4 losses, 2 draws, - total accumulated points 14

Tipperary 4 wins, 6 losses, 2 draws - total accumulated points 10

Waterford 1 win, 10 losses, 1 draw - total accumulated points 3

this makes great reading from a Clare point of view but the cold stark reality about it is that Clare have nothing to show for it while Limerick pick up 2 and Cork pick up 1 Munster title

its hypothetical but under the old standard system with a win/loss/draw percentage of almost 70% Clare would have bagged at least 2 Munster titles

• Advertisement

Might have been nice for the players to get a run out at Croke Park, but obviously Thurles is much more practical and situated between the two counties.

Advertisement