Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

First appearance for the footballers in Croke Park since 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

By Saturday the Clare footballers will have played more championship games in Croke Park than hurlers since 2013. Played a couple league finals too though the hurling finals are played in Thurles.

Since the 2013 all-Ireland final, the hurlers only played the one match in 2018 v Galway at Croke Park ?

Maybe there was another one but I can’t think of any

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

Yes Galway 2018. The replay was in Thurles .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The Clare hurlers rarely get to Croke Park but every club in the county loves to have a pitch "the size of Croke Park"...........

• Advertisement

Sure tis like a home game once we get to Croke Park!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Watching the match in Thurles last week and the fame in Cusack. Looking at the free taking ect. Well there's no way Cusack Park is the same size as Thurles. No chance. Its smaller and that's not down to the surrounding stadium and the 'feel'. I won't be convinced until someone measures it again ,properly.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Well it is, I've walked both

• Registered Users Posts: 14,746 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

bu....bu....but I used Google Maps to measure

Completely in agreement. Thurles is a longer and wider pitch. Seeing those stupid unofficial charts with the sizes being published is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

Cusack Park pitch is the maximum dimensions, I can tell you that for a fact. Not sure what dimension Semple is. So how you can laugh at people is beyond me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,746 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Played in both. Cusack Park is wider. Length is probably the same. Not enough difference to notice anyway.

Please tell me that the above twitter account is just wumming. If this news is true, then once again, serious questions will be asked re Shane Dowling and Brendan Cummins biased analysis on the Sunday Game evening show last Sunday.

Also if the Wexford connection that was seemingly behind the covid close contact debacle last year and the Ian Galvin ban in this year's Munster Championship, was behind Duggan and Hayes getting this rumoured one match ban, then a certain GAA family in the county have major questions to answer about their knowledge of this individual/s actions and have they any links, past or present with him or her. The whole thing is beyond toxic.

The controversial Clare Times social media account, that broke the Duggan and Hayes bans originally, is doubling down on the claim that the Wexford/Clare connection that have been involved in controversy with the Clare hurlers, re covid close contacts after the Wexford league game in the park last year and the Ian Galvin ban for the Limerick game last month is behind all this.

we all know the particular social media account has a clear agenda against a certain GAA family in the county, but does anyone know if he is telling the truth or is it bs?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Size matters: GAA pitch dimensions irk beyond measure (rte.ie)

Exactly the same size pitches, the grounds are a lot different as well as how far away the camera is from the pitch to make it look bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Are you saying it's ok to repeatly slap a Hurley into a player's back / neck.

I don't think anyone is questioning the foul, I think everyone is questioning the trial by Sunday Game, match was on Sunday, Sunday Game that night, refs meet Thursday and there's suspensions on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

to be fair i know from talking to anthoney daly that they only get a short time to anylise games they have also to present there arguments to a meeting at like 7 o'clock to edit out the talking points before going on air by 9:30 or whenever

a producer that may no nothing about hurling will always go for the most controversial assignments and not look for logic , shane dowling was never going to look for logic , we all know these things have a way of turning around though ☝️

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Iecrawfc

if you're contesting the fouls were a sending off offense, then you're only sore about being caught, maybe the limerick lads should have dived like fitzgerald to get it hightlighted at the time?

• Advertisement

sunday game dont contest fouls they just pick out one or two they see run it by the producer , then des Cahill goes to town on a player

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Iecrawfc

I didn't think anybody went to town on a player, what are they supposed to do? not show the incidents? these were players striking with their hurleys with no ball near by...i don't know how they review the matches but i presume they don't just watch what the sunday game has picked out? i know some people highlighted Flanagans challenge on O"donnell

christy ring once famously said in a team talk before an all ireland final back in the 70s , you have a leinster referee today so take as many steps as you like because he wont call you , apparently they dont call headlocks to the ground , punches to the stomach , hurl's to the head or throwing an opponents hurl into the terrace

the game would not have been as good if john keenan wasnt in charge , it probably wouldn't have been as violent either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Was the Galway player tried by the Sunday game as well on Sunday night?

I don't remember that.

Are you saying that no matter what a player does, as long as ref. / umpires doesn't see it, he should not be punished after the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

Galway player was highlighted on Sunday game.

Sunday game highlighted 3 players from the 2 games and all have now been suspended.

There were other incidents, particularly in Munster final that were not highlighted so one would wonder if those were highlighted would there have been further bans.

Flanagan from Limerick involved in 2 of those where he flung a player to the ground and had a challenge to Clare players head off the ball -neither of which were highlighted.

I don't think Clare can argue too much with suspensions to Hayes and duggan, but it's the impartiality/inconsistency of it that is unfair...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Let's cool the critics of Keenans display. He was great and contributed hugely to the game. Thats how the game should be reffed. I dont care that he missed some obvious fouls. There's guys from Clare on here criticising him such as 'Windy' who funnily is the only Clare supporter in the history of hurling who calls a hurley a 'hurl'.

It's times like this that the whole amateurish nature of the GAA hits home. We praise it so much but administration is disastrously amateur here. Retrospective punishments for the 2 incidents that were highlighted on a TV show. Thats justice but not fairness in any form.

There needs to be a serious discussion on the rules. Youve an editor on the Sunday game from Cork who wants every rule implemented. The vast majority of hurling people want the whistle swallowed and only blown for obvious trips and serious fouls. I want hurling like last Sunday every sunday

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

That's the problem with hurling, it's only a great spectacle when the rules aren't enforced. So you have a referee picking and choosing what he implements so the game can flow but eventually that will end in anarchy.

Why dont they just change the rules to 10 steps instead of four and allow the ball to be thrown and unless a player is dragged to the ground everything else is OK in the tackle refs wouldn't have to pretend they are enforcing those rules anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Clare are playing Wexford next Saturday in Thurles as part of a double header with Cork and Galway. I taught we might be heading to Cork, but Thurles again it is.

It will be interesting to see how Clare replace Duggan the next day. Aron Shanagher would be the obvious like for like replacement but he has really been struggling with form and injuries, he has hardly played since February. Mark Rodgers is back, also have Shane Meehan, obviously these are very different players to Duggan.

I imagine Cian Nolan replaces Hayes. Thankfully he has made his debut already in the championship and looked good against Waterford.

Unbelievable and inspirational stuff from us in Croke Park. 5 points down with 4 mins of normal time left and we won with a magnificent point from Jamie Malone to win by a point and into a All-Ireland quarter-final in two weeks time. 2-6 from Keelan Sexton and the brilliant Cathal O'Connor outstanding for us. Colm Collins inspirational along with a honest and brilliant group of players. Wonderful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

On behalf of Mayo, well done Clare footballers.

Advertisement