Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

why would it be unusual? one jersey is green the other is red, they've being doing it since their present jerseys were adapted way back in the early part of the 20th century, unless one is 100% colour blind one can form a distinction so why use an alternative strip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

What i meant was unusual is they wore their normal kit in 1 game and not in the other against the same county.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

I've read it and I'm certainly not the simpleton! You talk some nonsense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Red green colourblindness is 1 of the most common colourblindnesses (sp.) there is, Ireland Wales for example can be next to impossible for some people to watch, you'll notice more and more teams changing because of this (Spain Portugal did it in soccer I think), back in the day it was because of black and white TVs.

Outside of the joke that was 94 I can't remember the hurlers having to change jerseys for anyone except Antrim but I could be wrong. The footballers have to change regularly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭17togo

I thought the clare/wexford jerseys were very similar and could've done with changing! Although I was watching it on my ould lads tiny TV so probably didn't help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭limerickabroad

One of the Limerick footballers has red/green colour blindness, hence the Jersey change for the Cork game (and two games v Louth in the NFL). Doesn't affect any of the hurlers, so no need for change of kit in the hurling

Wexford Clare games from 2009-2013 always had a jersey change as the Wexford jersey at that time had alot of yellow in it, purple has been the more prominent colour in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

Cillian Brennan back great news, has the makings of a dour cagey battle, important to try and edge in front early and drag Derry out and not let them dictate the way the game is played.

Tough, tough task ahead against the Ulster champions. Best of luck lads, imagine how glorious it would be if they managed to make an All Ireland semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭blackcard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

Clare v Tipp in 93 changed colours.

No idea why as don't think they have changed since.

Colour blindness definitely a valid reason, but the cynic in me thinks that sometimes it's just trying to push selling of extra jerseys.

We are hopelessly out of our depth here against a very impressive Derry team. The conditioning of the Derry lads is something to behold.

Will be a long second half I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

They seem out of ideas. And why are they letting them run right through the middle over and over again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Ah Clare would want to pack it in. That was the worst performance I have ever seen from a Clare team in Croker in any code. Simpletons at the back. Derry were good...efficient but Clare really hit their ceiling. Goalie is a joke. They have some awful players in general.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

We were definitely found wanting but I think the biggest failure was tactical rather than the ability of the players.

We won our matches against teams who weren't so oppressive in defense and quick in the counter attack. Derry punished us severely almost every time we made a mistake and their counter attacking and defensive work rate were much better than ours

Fitness may also have been a factor. Derry seem to be incredibly fit which seems to be the difference between semi finalists/finalists and quarter finalists

Oh and our tackling was non existant

We tackled so much harder against Roscommon. Barely a whimper today

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Dunno if it was you or somebody else, but I similarly agreed in the prelim match vs Roscommon. The goalkeeper is a joke and shouldn’t be near an Intercounty squad

It’s like they stick with him by default with an ‘ah ya he’s our goalie and we’re happy with him’

How, among all clubs can they determine him being the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

We need a goalie who is at least capable of kicking some kick outs long, like past the 45 and into midfield.

when everything goes short , and the opposition knows this and presses this, you’re already starting at a major disadvantage. You need at least the possibility of kicking over the press and into the space behind.

I know kick outs are over analyzed and it’s boring at this stage, but they occur at least 30 times per game (that’s just your own kick outs which you can control where they’re aimed) , and they set the tone for the whole game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Some difference though between Roscommon and Derry.

Their physique and S & C is on another level altogether. Heard Collins on Radio 1 this evening and he was taken aback by the Derry players and reckons they are genuine contenders now as they tick all the boxes.

personally i would rather watch paint dry than watch their style of play, it's truely horrible, but because of it they will greatly trouble any of the remaining teams. God help any team that goes a few points behind them, will find it very hard to pull it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

All points bang on , can't fault a side like us reaching this stage of the championship but you got to get everything right at this level and we got so much wrong it wasn't funny

We are last 8 in the country on merit which shows up where gaelic football as a whole

Well done Derry , great supporters complete Madness's really funny bunch , fantastic footballers on the field , Connor glass , Emmett Bradley , Shane mcguigan , Brendan Rodgers, Gareth mclinless take a bow and rattle the all Ireland

If it wasn't for Eoin cleary today, it could have been a massacre , him and pearse were fantastic they tried there best , pearse is an excellent lad he's had such a tough year but always has given 200% every time he's put on a Clare jersey

Fantastic hurler as well with multiple honours he has been our all star elect all year

• Advertisement

Edit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Physically and aggression from Derry yes less so strength in conditioning in regards to Roscommon.

Writing was on the wall for Clare after the round 2 win, showed their hand and weakness to Rory Gallagher who studies the opposition more than most. It was the 2nd half before Roscommon exploited it and from 33rd to 67th minute outscored Clare 0-11 to 0-2

Derry attacked the weakness from the off and killed whatever glimmer of hope Clare had with goals.

Kerry beat ye by a scoreline that Ian Botham would have been proud off

Thats not throwing stones in a glass house that's letting off fireworks in a one man tent stuff 🤣

Ah yeah we will talk about in 3 weeks time kid!!! 3 weeks time 🤣🤣

Original keeper is injuried, Tristan is ahead on merit but David sexton is probably way better but hadn't been on the panel long enough that's how Collins works

still have to see off the cats , tough ask in its self

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

The hope was that we would be in the game right to the death.

The reality was that it was over inside 10 minutes. When your whole game plan is based around not conceding a goal and then you gift wrap a goal to them from a kickout it is time to go home.

I don't blame the keeper he has been parachuted in there to cover an injury and it is a position that now carries the greatest pressure in the game. I would have serious issues with the goal keeping coach, he has been chopping and changing things in that area since he came in, trying to keep himself relevant and he has made the situation worse.

Another area I was disappointed in was our lack of physicality, lack of edge, lack of a cynical streak. A few players have it in them, Pearse Lillis, Ciaran Russell but we have too many choir boys. We never laid a glove on Derry. Sure Derry are super fast and built like tanks but we made them look like gods, another black mark against management. When they come up against a team with a bit of a streak in them and questions are asked then we will see how good Derry really are.

Collins has been an excellent manager but if he stays he needs to clear out his backroom team.

The cold reality is that football in Clare is seriously hamstrung by dual players at club level. Back in the day Conor Cleary would never have picked up a hurley. He is the best club midfielder in the county and a more natural footballer than hurler. He should be a main man on the football team. Aaron Fitzgerald who was the centre back on the team for a number of years gone to the hurlers. Shane Meehan munster minor footballer of the year gone to the hurlers and there are a lot more that I couldn't be bothered to think of. You can't compete with the big dogs when your top talent isn't available to you. The competitiveness of the top 8 in Gaelic Football is through the roof and when you get in amongst those teams you have to have everything right just to compete, when you go in with one hand tied behind your back you get your arse handed to you, like yesterday.

Hurling is the more glamorous option in the county not because we are super at it but because you are going to have a way better chance of being involved in big days, call a spade a spade there are only about 8 decent hurling teams in the country and we are one of them so every year unless you are brutal you are going to be in a quarter final at least. We have made a semi final this year and the publicity and profile the players get is through the roof so it's always going to be the go to option for the talented kids coming through.

I hope Derry get taken apart in the next round. Their style of football is awful to watch and if it gets them to an All Ireland final it will be very bad for the game. Galway who have very talented forwards took them apart in the leauge and I hope they would do the same if they meet in the semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

The reality is that Hurling is no. 1. That's it. Playing hurling is far more attractive than playing football.

That the gulf between the Ulster Championship winners and the team that got beaten by Limerick in a penalty shoot-out should not surprise anyone, of course, we are disappointed that we weren't a lot closer but the reality is that we were outclassed. We got a 45 yesterday and chose not to try for a score?

When Ger Loughnane took over Clare in 94 it was said to him that he didn't have much to work with (following 93 and 94) and he said he had enough. He pulled from Junior clubs, and intermediate clubs and shaped the team around characters. You can also say there are only 8 decent teams in the Football Championship as well (hence the Tailteann cup), you can say there are only 8 decent teams in the premiership,,, there are always top teams and bottom team. The talent is where it is.

Clare football has to improve the standard of what Collins has to work with. That's the real issue. The fact we had a goalie who hasn't played county underage but had the guts to stand in goals yesterday says a lot about his character (no one is questioning that) but that we don't have a stream of talent coming through is the issue. I watched some of the clare senior club matches last year and it was awful. Teams defending a 9 point deficit. ..Hopefully, we will see far more investment in underage from now on.. and lights in Cusack park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The game plan was crazy. So negative. The plan was to deny goals scored against but the defence wasn't capable of that. Giving up half the pitch does nothing for an underdog in any field sport.

Hurling is the more glamorous option ,more chance of success. The hurling areas of South East Clare are much more highly populated than West Clare aswell but still Clare should be doing better.

Look at Limerick. The best talents and athletes in the city don't play hurling no matter what you hear. They still play rugby in general, with a chance of a professional career.. But Limerick hot houses what talent they have from a young age and piles the learning on them. Clare can do the same for the Gaelic footballers

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Fergal Horgan to ref the match on Saturday. Good news imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Probably gone unnoticed by most, as well most people don't care but

The Clare ladies are in an intermediate all Ireland semi final

Looking at our year as a whole, Clare teams have performed very well

Advertisement