Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

bit of a crazy one in the relegation final , our lads came back 13 points down at half time to score five goals in the first 17 minutes of the second half a cormac murray goal 3 minutes from time and two excellent eoin cleary points sealed kilmihils fate and what could have been one of the greatest comebacks of all time

didnt catch any of the other games today will post the highlights when i get them later or tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

Ennistymon should be prosecuted for crimes against football but Breckans are worse for not making them pay for their anti football style.

I hope they don't get the handy draw in the semifinal because the county final would be an eyesore with them in it.

another eventfull weekend in the clare football championship , miltown relegated kilmihil yesterday , while kilmurry ibrickane ended cratloes hopes of a double , enistymon got the better of their lisdoonvarna neighbors st breckans in the other 1/4 final

today eire og were impressive as ever in there win over clondegad , while corofin shocked lissycasey to book a semi final place with a fantastic win and are guaranteed to be seeded next year ,

intermeadite: both kildysart and cooraclare were impressive in their wins today , kildysart finally got the better of their estuary rivals after a forced replay and will play o'currys in the semi final , cooraclare were too strong for ennistymons 2nd side and progress to the final in 4 weeks time

in junior , liscannor had an impressive 1-12 to 0-10 point win over kilkee , as did kilimer over kilmurrys 2nd team they meet each other in the JFC final in two weeks time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Weekend

Fri 7th Oct 22

Feakle v O'Callaghans Mills

Senior B Hurling Championship Semi Final

Sixmilebridge 8:00 PM

Sat 8th Oct 22

Ballyea v Cratloe

Senior Hurling Championship Semi Final

Cusack Park 2:30 PM

Tulla v Sixmilebridge

Intermediate Hurling Champ Semi Final

Clarecastle 4:45 PM

Clonlara v Inagh-Kilnamona

Intermediate Hurling Champ Relegation Playoff

Newmarket-on-Fergus 4:45 PM

Sun 9th Oct 22

Clooney Quin v St Joseph's Doora Barefield

U17 Championship Knockout U 17 A Final

Cusack Park 12:00 PM

Kildysart v O'Currys

Intermediate Football Champ Semi Final

Cooraclare 1:00 PM

Éire Óg Ennis v Sixmilebridge

Senior Hurling Championship Semi Final

Cusack Park 2:30 PM

St Joseph's Doora Barefield v Corofin

Intermediate Hurling Champ Semi Final

Clarecastle 4:30 PM

Áth Leathan v Clonlara

Senior B Hurling Championship Semi Final

Killaloe 4:30 PM

Camogie

Saturday 15th October 

Scariff Ogonnelloe v Truagh Clonalra 

1.00pm in Cusack Park. 

The Fr Liam Murray Cup Final 

Clarecastle/Ballyea taking on Tulla

4.00pm at Clare Camogies headquarters in Fr McNamara Park

Ladies Football

Sunday

Fergus Rovers V Kilrush

Intermediate Final

Doonbeg 12:30pm

Kilmihil v The Banner

Senior Final

Doonbeg 3.00pm

Post edited by Sterling Archer on

• Advertisement

The Final is still fixed for the 16th, see that the other semi final is for this weekend.

Madness to not have it as a curtain raiser for the Senior, especially with Cooraclare being the honored team this year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,742 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Good to see the Camogie County final will be on in Cusack Park rather than Clarecastle, McNamara Park etc.

Terrific to see it

I Just hope they don't lose the atmosphere they are used to

well done ballyea today very good performance in fairness , it speaks volumes of the current championship structure , they were hammered in the group stages by cratloe

we really need to go back to the older format of winners and losers rounds in round 2 and 3 and ditch the boring group stages . maybe be more innovative and create an east clare hurling championship with no inter county players to be played in the summer months during the inter county championship and run the clare cup alongside the championship with inter county players to improve both competitions

mossy gavin is surly set for a call up to brian lohans panel , the way gary brennan is hurling he could be coming out of inter county retirement and going the other way , he had some game today , bridge are still the most dangerous team in the championship

cracker of a game in the junior A championship final today two teams intermediate next year would be plain stupid if they dont go senior this year

young sean withycome is a brilliant young hurler very accurate free taker not trying to put the young lad under pressure but from placed balls hes as good as i have seen since colin ryan , he was lethal for tulla in the harty this year , a real prospect in the making ,barefield or corofin will have a serious job in stopping him the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Good semi final today. Fair play to the two teams involved. Congratulations to Eire Og. They played very well in added time. Deserved the win. Sixmilebridge should have snuck the result in normal time. They are an experienced team and should have killed the time when 3 points up, the referee was good overall. He gave Shane O Donnell 2 especially soft frees there was a soft penalty but besides that I thought he did very well. David Reidy was excellent when moved in full forward. Just a really fun game to watch. The conditions were very poor. These games should have been 2 weeks ago . That game should stand to Eire Og but until they win tbe Canon Hamilton the the jury is out with regards to their temperament. They still go out of games inexplicably.

A word on Caimin Morey. Silly silly second yellow but the loss of Cathal malone and a few others was felt . Can't take away from the SMB fighting spirit. They are so doughty and tough when against the odds. Could be a very good county final. I haven't seen much of Ballyea this year but Eire Og have the more balanced team if Ballyea haven't changed mu h from last year

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

Brian Mullins rip, reading the many tributes I saw that his father was from West Clare. Just out of curiosity does anyone know what part of West Clare he hailed from?

not 100% sure but i think he was from inagh or that area , parts of the inagh parish border miltown and ennistymon , its a common name around the ennistymon area i believe , but again i am not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭funnyname

My father grew up in a Station House on the West Clare Railway in a place called Moinreel near Inagh

https://www.gaa.ie/football/news/the-big-interview-brian-mullins-part/

Weekends fixtures

Camogie

Saturday 15th October 

Scariff Ogonnelloe v Truagh Clonalra 

1.00pm in Cusack Park. 

The Fr Liam Murray Cup Final 

Clarecastle/Ballyea taking on Tulla

4.00pm at Clare Camogies headquarters in Fr McNamara Park

Saturday 15th October

Killimer v Liscannor

Junior A Football Championship Final

Milltown Malbay 2:00 PM

Kilmurry Ibrickane v Ennistymon Football

Senior Football Championship Semi Final

Cusack Park 4:00 PM

Sunday 16th October

Éire Óg Ennis v Corofin

Senior Football Championship Semi Final

Cusack Park 1:00 PM

Cooraclare v Kildysart

Intermediate Football Champ Final

Doonbeg 4:00 PM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭fire_man

Well done to Ennistymon today.What a game it sounded like.

Good entertainment alright, still feel Ennistymon are playing with the handbrake on, weren't clinical enough when needed which would have got them over the line in normal time. KIB systematically cynically fouled when they were turned over to give their backs a chance to reset and Jim Hickey was oblivious to it, no black cards issued when they were brought in to end this blight on the game. Other than that Kib were brave pushed right up on Ennistymon which meant a game of football broke out. Sexton was brilliant unlucky for him to go out on penalties. I feel Ennistymon will have to go for it a bit more in the final, but they are sneaking through in tight games their name might be on the cup stranger things have happened.

some entertainment over the weekend , for a hurling county to produce two finals of that level at junior A and intermediate is serious some of the scores and play in both games over the weekend was off the charts , and just for good measure ennistymon had the comebacks of all comebacks to beat kilmurry last night , well done to liscannor ( junior A winners ') Kildysart ( intermediate winners) and to ennistymon and the townies it has been some weekend of football

Weekends fixtures

Fri 21st Oct 22

Clonlara v Feakle

Senior B Hurling Championship Final

Sixmilebridge 8:00 PM

Sat 22nd Oct 22

Tulla v St Joseph's Doora Barefield

Intermediate Hurling Champ Final

Cusack Park 3:00 PM

Sun 23rd Oct 22

Inagh-Kilnamona v Sixmilebridge

Junior B Hurling Champ Final

Clarecastle 12:00 PM

Ballyea v Éire Óg Ennis

Senior Hurling Championship Final

Cusack Park 3:00 PM

very enjoyable game in the park today , as like kildysart last week doora barefield this week put years of intermediate hurt behind them by eventually seeing off a serious tulla challenge , the east clare men will be kicking themselves with the amount of missed chances and wides ,with the likes of tony leaden , seanie whitycombe david mc fergal kerney and willie halpin who came on to have a serious impact on the game , i dont think it will be that long before we see jim mcs men at senior level

for the parish , david conroy was outstanding scoring 12 points , fionn kelliher was excellent at the back while the two hannons and alan oniel were the men that drove them forward the most o'niell espically in extra time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There's be a lot of disappointment in the town tonight, 1 definitely left behind them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Well done to Ballyea but this one was there for Eire Og. They just needed to keep pushing on when they went 3 up but they tried to protect the lead from too far out. The Eire og backs were outstanding. Thought the ref was ok overall. Ballyea missed a lot and they really have some mediocre hurlers mixed with excellent hurlers. They arent balanced enough to give Munster a rattle. I could see St Finbarrs beating them. That's not taking much away from Ballyea. They've great spirit and know how and provide an outlet for West Clare hurlers. Surely though there could be a hurling only club started for all the west Clare fellas.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

Poor enough county final too stop start mainly because of the referee making some strange decisions. Eire Og should have pushed on when 3 points up. Shocking free in injury time to win it although the townies had the chance to equalise.

yeah 3 points up with a minute and a half to go to concede 4 scores in succession will hurt , it also seemed a management decision to change free taker for the last free , reidy looked as confused as russell when the decision was made , townies bossed the second half up to the 28th minute controlled the game but the ballyea bench had a huge impact especially cathal o'connors monster long range point in injury time

i know ballyes league of nations has caused huge talking points around the county but this is another huge result for west clare hurling , it gives kids in the likes of coolmeen , labasheeda, kildysart , kilmihil and cooraclare where no hurling is played to have aspirations of hurling at the highest level some day

eire og i felll are not far away , i reckon they will be back and the day they do finally lift the cannon again the town of ennis will come to a standstill for a week , great support again today they will be back

game highlights

Who was the auld lad on his phone during the captain's speech? Extremely disrespectful, if it was a younglad they'd get a clip across the ear.

Éire Óg should be winning championships, today was an example of why they will struggle, they didn't blood any new players during the Clare Cup, got relegated to Intermediate league and when a bench was needed they didn't have any players, they are completely reliant on a great bunch of footballers with some intercounty hurlers who are closer to 30 than 20. Then they have their sideline, why they feel the need to get involved I don't know, they never let the players just played, constantly moving players around, when they went 3 points up I counted 4 changes they made, the thing to do was to leave things as they were. Then to change freetaker for the last free, my oh my, that's just a manager not trusting his players and feeling the need to make the call, we'll never know now but in my opinion Russell was never missing that free, as soon as Reidy was injured he took the ball and Reidy walked away, I don't think anyone (including the players) could believe the decision and you can't blame Russell for heading straight away afterwards.

Finally, anyone questioning Ballyea's "league of nations", at least any player they have are playing for them because they want to, not because the club is paying them.

Never blooded any new players in the Clare Cup....they basically played there Junior A team in the Clare Cup. If your going to make statements at least know the facts. Also it wasn't a management decision to change the freetaker at the end.

Surprised with you Clareman that is the great pat O'Donnell on the phone the man has pumped millions into Clare gaa over the last nearly 30 years , when the great man from crusheen pass's away I reckon we should take Daniel O'Connell down from the height and replace him with a solid gold Pat O'Donnell 😜

They played their Junior A team, got to a final, in the senior final they didn't have any sub to bring on (outside of a blood sub for 2 minutes) and I think every 1 of those players played senior championship last year, well except O'Dea who played intermediate hurling with Corofin, in 9 games they didn't find a single player to bring up? Surely that's enough facts

Watch that video again and tell me it wasn't a management decision to change free taker, Reidy got the free, left the ball there and walked away to leave it to Russell, then after a minute or so he walked back over to take the ball off Russell, Russell looks over to Shannon who was well on the pitch. Personally I wasn't watching Shannon (or anyone else) but a friend at the game was adamant that he saw Shannon shout at Reidy to tell him to take it

Jesus he has aged, my utmost apologies to the saviour of Clare GAA

You said they didn't blood any new players in the Clare Cup yet they were missing 10 intercounty players so who did they play in the Clare Cup. Who was the auld fella???

You're some spoofer.

• Advertisement

Who did they call up to senior from their Clare Cup run?

Hands up I didn't recgonise Pat and that's very poor form from any Clare supporter, I hang my head in shame.

Advertisement