Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

cheers evol

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

5 weeks out from championship, 1 league game and probably a few challenge matches to go, hard to see many changes between now and Tipp, poor enough league campaign, a few of the forwards have gotten a bit of a run but we haven't solved our half back/midfield problems yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭funnyname

Anyway to watch the Derry game on Sunday on the iPlayer without a VPN?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

lohan reminds me of no one but martin brassil , in the week thats in it , it couldn't act as a better example lohan a shannon man brassill a blue over the road , lohan is now a blue himself living in cratloe while mr brassill is up in the curragh these days , both are notoriously coy and aggressive at times in their interviews but both are excellent at hitting form at the right time , this week martin brasill was beaten twice by a nk to two high class trainers and horses , he approached Cheltenham in an unortodoxed way which he likes and has won him grand nationals and grade 1s over the years a bit like our run in 2022

i am just hoping mr lohan is using the same methods , in fairness it worked last year

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

In my opinion, and I said it at the time, Lohan didn't have the CV to warrant taking over Clare but it is what it is, he's now into year 4 so it's time to produce something or at least put his stamp on this group.

one more thing , i know you like your sequences and stats heres our conundrum , we only do things once every 20 years for some reason , any ideas how we improve

munster champions in1889 loss to dublin all ireland final

munster champions in 1914 bt laois in the all ireland final

munster champions in 1932 loss to kilkenny in the all ireland final

serious team in the 50s lost to a great christy ring cork team in the munsterfinal by a point , won the league in 57

won two leagues in 77 and 78 and serious contenders in munster against one of the great cork teams

90s won 3 munster and two all irelands plus a few all ireland clubs and a minor all ireland

2010s 4 u21 all irelands 1 senior 1 munster club 1 minor munster

it seems we are going to have to wait until 2030 on these stats to pick up anything again !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

It will be interesting to see what type of a performance the Clare Footballers put in tomorrow. I think they will fight on their backs to preserve their Div 2 status and as a show of appreciation to Colm Collins for all he has done for them in the past decade. I don't think it will be enough to get 2 points tomorrow but it is important for the remainder of the season that they don't bow down to Derry.

i believe the same will happen , one huge positive is the better players on the squad are nearly all under 23 its a very young team in fairness with huge potential , gary brennan was on tg4 tonight as a pundit , if Emmett McMahon is as good at the irish he will replace him in years to come , he is doing a fine job on the field in replacing the ballyea man at the moment

we have some excellent young lads on the way in michael garry, brian mc , and young brendy rouine the future is bright regardless of this year

I'm not as confident as you about the future, if we go down I don't think we will see Division 2 for a long day again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

Terrible performance today up in Derry.

Showed no intent on attacking and not to score for an entire half is very poor. Can't really complain about being division 3 bound.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Yep, and I guess the league table doesn't lie. Not enough quality.

No score until after 42 minutes. And it wasn't as if we were shooting lots of wides either !

It seemed like we always look to play the ball backwards, "recycle" it rather than actually take on the man or even just take on the shot.

Didn't see it, was expecting nothing but maybe a bit of fight. Derry have beat the lard out of us every time we have played them. We have fallen away from where we were 2 or 3 years ago and can have no complaints about relegation.

Collins will be sorry he didn't pull the pin last year, still it shouldn't undermine what he achieved with a tiny pool of players.

Watching Mayo v Donegal afterwards, and it's like a different sport.

It felt like Clare never really believed they could win today. I do wonder will Collins call it a day after this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The attacking gameplan of Clare is diabolical. Over and back and over and back then a probe up a flank then restart. That's alot of what Gaelic Football is right now but Clare do it worse than most. There's still good players there but it's all gone stale. Just not enough people playing the game in Clare.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Its not that there isn't enough people playing the game. The problem is trying to be competitive in Football and Hurling is not possible in a county of Clares size.

If Kerry had half the county dedicated to hurling they wouldn't be half as successful in football and ditto in Kilkenny. Its a numbers game.

I worded that wrong, what I'm trying to say is if they weren't competing with hurling the footballers would have Conor Cleary, Aaron Fitzgerald, David Fitzgerald, Cathal Malone, Shane Meehan, David Reidy to name but a few available to them. To be trying to compete at an elite level and not have a host of quality players available to you is a futile pursuit.

i dont see it that way , bar cavan i dont really see a much better team then us in division 3 maybe westmeath , fermanagh or offaly will join cavan in division 2 next year

the reason in my opinion we are in this mess is our issues up front were never delt with from last year i, we are over reliant on scores from frees and scores from the likes of mcmahon and cleary ,you can get away with it to an extent at division 3 level but not this level , especially not derry

we will be fine in division 3 but we need to learn from our mistakes

not sure what to make of the hurling today , another poor showing from kelly , david fitz picking up a soft red card and could miss the tipp game ,the big worry is cork were pretty much 2nd string and we struggled at times against them ,

the pace of the game in the second half and even the standard was of a challenge game , the only bright spark is the performance of aidan mccarthy we have about 3 gears to find before the 23rd of April

yeah i agree , looking at cork in the hurling today you can see the work they have put in under age some really promising players coming through , you can see it in both codes , with them we just dont have the numbers to really sustain a top football side along with the hurlers

i still believe we can operate between division 3 and 2 but we cant really compete with division 1 teams really

• Advertisement

What did David Fitz do to pick up the red card?

soft enough but dose look like a striking action well i taught it did today looking back now it dont seem as bad , handbags but stupid

https://twitter.com/DLynchSport/status/1637501502041251841?s=20 MAke of it what you want, technically he made contact with the head so hard to see it getting it overturned so he'll be out for the Tipp game.

beat you to it !! good ol buff egan where would we be without him , and hes car broke down on the way home too 🤣

you must be fit to kill lohan at this stage with that performance today

Was it really a strike or just trying to get his jersey free?

I’d say there’s a chance it could be rescinded, this is the GAA after all

his hurl was in his hand when he swung across and caught the cork lad on the chin , its tight but in the letter of the law it can warrent a red , it probably was the most exciting thing that happened in the second half

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

David Fitzgerald has an issue with discipline. He's had it for a while. Downey is a wind up merchant but still no need for the lash out.. If he misses the Tipperary game he ll be a huge loss. Its obvious Lohan is staking everything on the Tipperary match at home . That's the target and you'd think we'd pick up a win possibly against Waterford and Cork at home possibly in the mast game. I would be concerned at the form of plenty of players.. Malone has been terrible for a year. Aaron Fitz is not at the level required and has shown this time and time again. We are banking on Kelly and O Donnell and McCarthy to pull us through. It's high stakes stuff.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

totally agree , fitz is redzor o'grady type character from tipperary years ago redzor is the guy that woke up babs keating at 3am to slag him off in his best babs accent from some pub in borrisoliegh , pure messer off the field on the field a live wire at times

the form of the key players is poor , i dont like the same pairing starting in either corner forward position we were cleaned in that area in the munster final ,and all ireland semi final we need to change that too

mccarthy is the glue holding us together , ryan taylor is doing his bit too in fairness, kelly looks 2 stone over weight malone looks to have lost a yard of pace something i dont think he had in the first place aaron fitz was a fine footballer from day one he comes form a big hurling family though

all in on sunday the 23rd of April it looks like after a very poor league

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Advertisement

A Joke!! , his movement is terrible at times though

i'll havr to hire a drummer for my next post .....either that or work on the routine 🤣

Advertisement