Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

the bigger question here is why exactly did Limerick disapprove of Thurles ?[if that was the case]

was it a ploy to force Clare into a rash decision [once they found that they didn't want Cork]

we all know its about influence in the right places, money talks and bullsh*t walks

Evolving, If Tipp had held up their side of the bargain in the playing field we wouldn't be talking about one team now playing with home advantage 😁😀

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ValentiahYes

If Limerick didn’t reach a mutual agreement with Clare then the venue would have been mandated by the Munster Council.

The Munster Council had a hard on for Cork (need to justify that €40m overspend at the taxpayers expense I guess).

For some mysterious reason Semple Stadium was off the table.

Clare decided screw that, and figuring that Limerick would be agreeable, they suggested holding it in Limerick.

Limerick had two options here; agree with Clare’s proposal to have it in Limerick. Or disagree and leave it up to the Munster Council to decide and the game be played in Cork.

Limerick did Clare a favour. It’s not Limerick’s fault Thurles wasn’t considered - in fact that was the preferred venue of both counties.

You’re making accusations against Cork and Limerick but this isn’t like in 2017 when the Tipp county board pulled a stunt to have their qualifier v Dublin held in Thurles despite Dublin having been drawn out first. (“We think a double header with the Kilkenny v Waterford game in Thurles would be a greeaaat idea”)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

They didn't. They proposed thurles, Limerick said they were happy to go to cork. The powers that be wanted cork. It looks like Clare were bullied into either cork or play in Limerick.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Best team won on the day. Nothing can be done about that now.

1 - False. They didn’t change their mind on Thurles. You’ve made that up.

2 - See point 1.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Bring it on!!

Both Limerick and Clare wanted Thurles.

Munster Council said no let’s fix it for Cork.

Clare then proposed Limerick.

It’s that simple.

They did. They were fine with Thurles up until recently. What's changed since last year?

Limerick pulled the rug on Thurles for Clare going into the Monday meeting. They could have agreed that before the meeting. Clare wanted Thurles and their hand was forced.

All kinds of narratives will be coming out of Castletroy now to try and smooth this over.

I wonder who decided Thurles was off the table... come on...

Clare's hand was forced.

To quote Fogarty:

"Páirc Uí Chaoimh was in line to stage the game until an eleventh-hour intervention from Clare, who had initially expressed support for the game being held in Thurles as was the case for the counties’ thrilling extra-time decider last year.

With the majority of the Munster Council's competitions control committee in favour of the Cork venue, and Limerick in agreement, the Ballintemple stadium was expected to be announced as the stage for the game following Monday night’s meeting.

However, Limerick’s home ground was then put forward as an alternative by Clare officials and their management team who were keen to avoid going to Cork, and a decision was taken to reconvene the meeting Tuesday."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Either way IMO this is madness. The Munster final should be at a neutral venue where possible. I'm struggling to get my head around why Clare have agreed to this. Home advantage is a serious benefit to Limerick. We're already without our first choice full back and this is adding to the consternation. It's annoying how the Munster council were so obsessed with having it in cork, despite the hardship it would bring on fans. I suppose we can always say Limerick have no excuses now anyway😁

You’re making it up. They did not change their mind on Thurles. They were happy with either Thurles or Cork and would have voted for either one.

Clare’s hand was not forced. There was nothing stopping them travelling to Cork. Not a single thing. A balls to get to but a fine venue worthy of the occasion.

I’m assuming a deal was done with the Tipp delegates too to change their minds from Thurles. Such waffle, put the tin foil hat down and come back to me when you find any evidence that Limerick would have voted against Thurles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Cork not coming out of this looking good either. That Clare would rather play in Limerick doesn't say much for Cork as a host venue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Massive Clare crowd, close to home. Player's travel time will be minimum and they can warm up in familiar territory.

All the pressure will be on the home team ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pajoguy

All the pressure on Limerick now.

Munster council wanted cork or nowhere. Limerick didn't have any objection to it. Why would we? Best stadium facilities in Munster. Location does not affect the teams. They will be immune to traffic and transport problems. Clare did object to it. Hence the only way Clare could get Limerick to change their mind was to propose Limerick. Simples when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

one big consideration in all this is for a game of this magnitude there is no hawk-eye available in the GG,

are the great brains of the Gaa inviting trouble once again?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,307 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Big games happen all the time in venues with no Hawkeye.

Limerick vs Cork was a bigger game than this final and had no Hawkeye.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

an absolute mind blowing decision by the county board , bowing down to fair weather supporters that didnt want to drive to cork , no other county in munster would do it ,

for the amount of people giving out about traffic in charleville and buttervent ect i would love to know how many of them were in thurles for the waterford game or how many will be in clones or thurles this weekend

we have a small hardcore following of people that will travel to the moon and back to support clare , but we have some shower of band waggoners behind the scene ,whether it crying about gaa go , when it had been announced several months ago that a number of clare games were to be shown on the platform now this , giving a team home advantage thats going for 5 in a row in munster is just unbelievable

the worst part for the people that didnt want cork...the all ireland 1/4 finals are quietly being ear marked for that venue as a double header

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Totally agree with this. We haven’t won Munster for 25 years so we’re not in a opposition to be giving our opponents any advantages.

Gaelic Grounds is without doubt an advantage to Limerick.

I’m still mystified as to why Thurles is off the table for a Munster hurling final. It hosted many Munster finals, including last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I doubt it's for the fair weather supporters benefit.

It's a long season and Cork at 2pm is probably a Saturday night job for the players.

Thurles got it last year, so presumably Corks turn this year.

So Clare had to pick Limerick or Cork and Limerick suited better.

• Advertisement

Well it was them making all the noise, the vast majority of Clare support that go to games couldn't care less

I am no fan of cork in terms of location either but surly it's better then offering the opposition home advantage,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Anyway, best of luck to the Banner in the Munster final.

This is Lohan psychology. Everyone is against us. Full duck or no dinner. Cork was forced down their throats. Lohan turned the tables on em. Asking for more time was to go back and ask Lohan what to do. Think ye have us over a barrel. Tell em If the venue is that important to ye we’ll take ye on in your own backyard. Flipped it on em. If Clare can beat Limerick twice in their own backyard in one Munster campaign- how hard will they be beaten after that confident boost?

this is going to be some bitter war.

Now, Windy, get me a fuckin’ ticket in the soft seats like a good man.

I am barred from the Mackey stand ....long story, the way things are going I might have to go across the road to Woodie's for a ladder Sunday week!!

Nobody forced Cork down anybody's throat.

It was Thurles last year so rotate to Cork this time.

There was nobody over a barrel here.

This is the crux of it. Limerick were not proposing cork. Munster council wanted cork over thurles. Thurles had 4 games in round robin. Cork had 2 games. Limerick had 2 games in round robin. Limerick had no objection to playing in cork why would we. Super venue and facilities. Forget traffic and transport. Does not matter for the teams.

Clare propose Limerick and Limerick had no objection to it so easier all round for Munster council to agree.

Wasting your time. It’s all a big conspiracy according to that poster despite the fact none of the Clare camp are complaining, it was exactly what Clare wanted and their chairman stating today that they are “delighted” to be playing in Limerick, how it suited them and of their desire to reach this agreement with Limerick.

Weirdly, and I wasn’t expecting this - but there’s far more moaning coming from outside Clare about this than from within the county. A good sign, Clare folks are obviously backing themselves to beat Limerick again, and sure why wouldn’t they be, dominated them only weeks ago on that very pitch.

Lads

Lads, I know ye find reading and retaining information hard but try to reread this sentence and understand it from the GAA and Cork GAA mouthpiece:

"With the majority of the Munster Council's competitions control committee in favour of the Cork venue, and Limerick in agreement, the Ballintemple stadium was expected to be announced as the stage for the game following Monday night’s meeting."

It was forced down Clare's throat. Absolute rat ****. Now, I know ye're bandwagoners who drop in from soccer and rugby but Clare v Limerick is always played in Thurles. Because its close and neutral. Back to 94' and 95' at Semple. In fact the last 8 Munster finals Clare have played have been at Semple.

There's no Cork turn in this. Tipp usually play Clare in the Gaelic Grounds or the park for finals. Don't try and tell me black is white, I know what I'm talking about. Now go back to the Limerick GAA rugby and soccer thread like good boys and let real hurling men talk hurling.

Absolute waffle.

Sure, you're not a real man unless you've been barred twice! That's easy get around. Have a chat with Fr Harry he won't see you short for your sins! Unless he has you barred from the parish.

• Advertisement

Where did I say Limerick were not in agreement with Cork???

Go back and read my post again "real man"

Go and read the Clare County Chairmans statement cooied from examiner below "real man"

“We’re delighted to be there,” said Keating. “It suited us to play in Limerick. We approached Limerick yesterday and the Munster Council yesterday evening.

“We felt we could agree something with Limerick and we did. It was short notice because obviously we didn’t know who we would be played in the final until Sunday, all a bit rushed but we got it done.”

Advertisement