Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Special meeting called for tomorrow night - only item on the agenda is the clare senior hurling management.

And lack thereof

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

Clareman wrote: »
    What's getting to me about all this is the arrogance of some of the people involved, Moloney for assuming that he'd just be allowed have the gig when he has had 3 years as joint manager and hasn't won anything, Lohan for thinking that just because he's a former player that he should get the gig and the county board for saying nothing.

That is very unfair on Donal Moloney and Brian Lohan to call them arrogant. Two men who I believe have absolutely nothing but the best interests in Clare hurling at heart.

Moloney never said he assumed that he'd just be given the gig, but he said that he would like to be given it - There is a big difference. And he has been hugely disrespected by the radio silence from the county board on the matter. The very very least he deserved is just a clear communication from the county board. Just let him know - "Donal, we're throwing it open to other applicants and we'll be making a decision at the end of October."

Likewise, Lohan never said he has a divine right to it. He just said he would be interested in doing it. Has he not got the right to do that without being called arrogant ?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

fire_man wrote: »
    Is Gary Brennan taking year out in 2020?

Rumoured he won't be around for championship 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

fire_man wrote: »
    Is Gary Brennan taking year out in 2020?

Getting married in December, going on an extended holiday/honeymoon might be back for the championship

Well deserved in my opinion even if he dose take the year out he owes us nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Special meeting called for tomorrow night - only item on the agenda is the clare senior hurling management.

Why this wasn't called in July I will never know, the hurlers were out of the championship and the club championship wasn't going to start until mid August

I imagine they didn't expect Moloney step aside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

Getting married in December, going on an extended holiday/honeymoon might be back for the championship

Well deserved in my opinion even if he dose take the year out he owes us nothing

I echo those sentiments, one of the best to wear the saffron and blue
    Still hopes he turns out at some stage in 2020 but he doesn't owe us a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Looks like it’s all coming to a head now anyway. Players meeting with Joe Cooney this evening and released the rolling statement. Not sure what county is worse now between Clare and Galway. And clearly the issues lie in the county board.

The statement from the squad is outlined below

Following the announcement on Sunday (6 October 2019) by Donal Moloney and his management team of their decision not to seek appointment for the 2020 season, representatives of the Clare Senior Hurling panel requested a meeting with the County Board Chairman Joe Cooney who is leading the process of appointing a management team. Mr. Cooney met with representatives of the hurling squad this evening (Tuesday, 08 October 2019).

A range of concerns were raised by players at this meeting:

– Players outlined to the County Board Chairman their frustration at not having been consulted during the 4-month process of securing a management team for 2020. Players’ only source of information on the process was second hand updates disseminated through the mainstream media and social media.

– The players are disappointed by the length of time it has taken to conclude the ongoing process and the lack of clarity provided to Donal Moloney and his management team on the process, despite having been interviewed for the position 4 weeks ago.

– A report in the October edition of the Clare County Express falsely reported players were in favour of a change of management. No member of the Clare Senior panel approached any potential candidate for the position other than Donal Moloney (up to his announcement on Sunday that he was withdrawing his name from the process).

– We informed the County Board Chairman of the necessity for the County Board to fully support the hurling team in terms of investment in facilities such as Caherlohan, as well as provide our players with the necessary supports to maximise our ability to compete at the highest level.

– Players raised concerns about the future operation of Club Clare Hurling Supporters, which has raised over €350,000 since it was established by Gerry O’Connor and Donal Moloney in 2016. We have asked the County Board to support the continuation of the supporters club or failing that, bridge any shortfall in funding and investment that may arise from the discontinuation of the supporters club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

– Players outlined to the County Board Chairman their frustration at not having been consulted during the 4-month process of securing a management team for 2020. Players’ only source of information on the process was second hand updates disseminated through the mainstream media and social media.

Call me crazy, but reading between the lines here, the players are basically saying the the County Board's Review did not include consultation with the players!

Like.. WTF?

Might be good idea when reviewing the performance of the team to.... you know, maybe actually talk to the members of the frigging team!

There are actually no words to describe the level of incompetence of the County Board at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Also the Clare County Express should issue a statement with regards to its false publications.
    _

Some very troubling words from the players there, especially with regards to Caherlohan and the financial situation with regards to the supporters club.

This is a complete joke to be honest.

They would be glad of Donal Moloney now.

You'd have to question the finances around Cusack Park also. Time for a clearout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

They would be glad of Donal Moloney now.

You'd have to question the finances around Cusack Park also. Time for a clear out.

There should be no clear out until the financials are opened up. They should be made to account for spending while in office. Allowing people to walk away without sanction leaves the door open for a return,, or a someone related to them...

We have seen that John Delaney has done a runner at the moment. He can say it was poor management of finances rather than anything underhand if the Gov. come after him. Funny how he is the second generation in that type of role.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

There's no media outlets in Clare or journalists worthy of the name in the county of providing any meaningful investigation and analysis of the desperate shambolic misdeeds of the Clare county board for several decades. A forensic scrutiny of its entire operation for the last 30 years is badly needed to uncover the notable misadventures that have plagued GAA in Clare. They're either in cohoots with the county board or simply not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

letowski wrote: »
    Call me crazy, but reading between the lines here, the players are basically saying the the County Board's Review did not include consultation with the players!

Like.. WTF?

Might be good idea when reviewing the performance of the team to.... you know, maybe actually talk to the members of the frigging team!

There are actually no words to describe the level of incompetence of the County Board at times.

You would have thought that after all the player groups around the country highlighting issues such as choice of management, finance, health/ injury treatment etc that the dinosaur approach of county boards like Clare would have changed.
    It has had success at Senior level and underage in the last decade with good management teams so why this approach now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

From Clare FM

"There will be no senior hurling manager appointed this evening.

Delegates at Clare GAA meeting have backed proposal for clubs to submit expressions of interest over next 12 days.

Clare GAA will meet on Tuesday 22nd October to name candidates before interview process begins."

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Toetohand

Shane_ef wrote: »
    From Clare FM

"There will be no senior hurling manager appointed this evening.

Delegates at Clare GAA meeting have backed proposal for clubs to submit expressions of interest over next 12 days.

Clare GAA will meet on Tuesday 22nd October to name candidates before interview process begins."

Fair play to club delegates who passed the Scariff proposal as outlined above. Anthony Daly mentioned as one of backroom team to Brian Lohan by Kilmaley delegate.
    Another grouping being touted is Louis mulqueen with Mike Deegan/ fergal hmHegarty and Brendan Bugler.
    Where this leaves Donal Moloneys application is anyone’s guess? Players seem to want him the top table have other ideas. Talk about mismanagement!

“ El Patron” and family thanks for service but time to go. Financially too expensive to keep him on as Croke Park refuse to pay his secretary salary. I could think of a 100 causes in county where that would be better spent...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Former Clare All Ireland Winning captain leads the revolution as delegates stand up to the county board and block Louis Mulqueen's appointment.

Former Clare All Ireland Winning captain leads the revolution as delegates stand up to the county board and block Louis Mulqueen's appointment.

Huge round of aaplause from delegates tonight when the chairman hit out at some of the abuse emenating from social media. Said it was a bloody disgrace and people should come out from behind their screens.

Long road to change yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭funnyname

Toetohand wrote: »

“ El Patron” and family thanks for service but time to go. Financially too expensive to keep him on as Croke Park refuse to pay his secretary salary. I could think of a 100 causes in county where that would be better spent...

Has county board secretary ever been an elected position, if so when did that change.

Also re salary (btw, anyone know the official amount?), why did CP stop paying it?

funnyname wrote: »
    Has county board secretary ever been an elected position, if so when did that change.

Also re salary (btw, anyone know the official amount?), why did CP stop paying it?

It is elected. Elected unopposed for last 20 years. . The unopposed bit is interesting. No club has seen it in there interest to nominate someone for position?.
    On salary it’s approximately 60/70k annually . Croke Park pay county boards half of this fee providing secretaries stay maximum six year term. This has long passed in Clare. Currently on rolling one year contract to deal with “Japanese knotweed” issue in Cusack Park. I’m assuming he’s in if let’s say two thirds of that fee if not full amount.,
    Attempts to place another family member as secretary were thwarted by clubs about two years ago.

So Scariff have created a bit of trouble here, that's Moloney's club isn't it? Maybe he'll be back in the frame again? Hear Cyril Lyons mentioned with him too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

It's getting good now. This upheaval will bring change of some sort. Fair play to Scarriff for leading the revolt, but I hope Donal Moloney isnt still thinking of re heating his bid to stay on. For me its Lohan all the way..

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

BloodyBill wrote: »
    It's getting good now. This upheaval will bring change of some sort. Fair play to Scarriff for leading the revolt, but I hope Donal Moloney isnt still thinking of re heating his bid to stay on. For me its Lohan all the way..

Donal Moloney, Brian Lohan and or Anthony Daly....? Its all academic. As long as its not the spawn or the acolytes of Fitzgerald then let it be and come what may.

Massive credit to Scariff G.A.A. club for rousing the rest from their bloody slumber and awakening the need for the salvation of Clare G.A.A.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

It is elected. Elected unopposed for last 20 years. . The unopposed bit is interesting. No club has seen it in there interest to nominate someone for position?.
    On salary it’s approximately 60/70k annually . Croke Park pay county boards half of this fee providing secretaries stay maximum six year term. This has long passed in Clare. Currently on rolling one year contract to deal with “Japanese knotweed” issue in Cusack Park. I’m assuming he’s in if let’s say two thirds of that fee if not full amount.,
    Attempts to place another family member as secretary were thwarted by clubs about two years ago.

Not exactly true. When it was a paid position with Croke Park contributing then there wasn't any election - it was a full time contracted role so he couldn't be opposed. Now however he can and there's a good chance that there'll be at least one other nomination this year based on the meeting last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭funnyname

Interesting article from 2008 where he says he'd be done by the time he hit 65, however, 8 years later he's still calling the shots.
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/quiet-revolution-puts-secretaries-on-payroll-26490837.html

Just a note on Louis Mulqueen, he well be the best man for the job and I've no problem with him getting the job if it is a fair process that puts him there rather than a stop gap solution that suits the secretary.

Not exactly true. When it was a paid position with Croke Park contributing then there wasn't any election - it was a full time contracted role so he couldn't be opposed. Now however he can and there's a good chance that there'll be at least one other nomination this year based on the meeting last night.

When did that contract end I wonder? Why are clubs fearful of opposing him. What have they to lose I’d love to know.

Bunts. Plain and simple.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

When did that contract end I wonder? Why are clubs fearful of opposing him. What have they to lose I’d love to know.

Tickets, funding, regrading of players, failed appeals, pretty much anything the county board have control over he can affect but he's too smart to do it himself directly without dirtying his own hands. Just this year a former hurler called him out on Twitter and about a month later his club's new ground was closed because of "health and safety"

Tickets, funding, regrading of players, failed appeals, pretty much anything the county board have control over he can affect but he's too smart to do it himself directly without dirtying his own hands. Just this year a former hurler called him out on Twitter and about a month later his club's new ground was closed because of "health and safety"

Those decisions that go against a club can’t be proven but it’s generally accepted that’s what happens? Incredible stuff.

• Advertisement

Those decisions that go against a club can’t be proven but it’s generally accepted that’s what happens? Incredible stuff.

In my opinion yup, everyone knows the story and play by the rules.

Advertisement