Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Who writes these programmes? Clare GAA is coming around after showing a photo of I think it was Kilmaley for a Cratloe match last year and now in the first big game of the season has Shane o Donnell down as playing for Clonlara. Its so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

footballers unchanged for sunday , while they were unlucky last week against westmeath , kildare are a slightly better side again hard to imagine us getting anything in this one , hopefully i am proven wrong , the more winnable games are further down the road

https://twitter.com/GaaClare/status/1223359854670204936

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

Does anyone have any footage of the club semi final in 2014 between Cratloe and Thurles Sarsfield? I'm looking on youtube and I remember seeing footage but can't find any.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭KIB4Life

Feenie wrote: »
    Does anyone have any footage of the club semi final in 2014 between Cratloe and Thurles Sarsfield? I'm looking on youtube and I remember seeing footage but can't find any.

Tallowman Gaa YouTube Channel used to have a load of GAA Videos, but it seems that channel has been taken down, probably as a result of copyright, which is a pity. There is probably where you seen the video of the Cratloe vs Thurles Sarsfield game, hence why there is no longer any video of the game on You Tube.

Much better effort by the ladies in Monaghan, the farney would probably be the strongest team in the division, lets hope for continued improvement, like the mens team the aim is to consolidate division 2 status

https://twitter.com/BrennanEoin/status/1223647363115421698?s=20

• Advertisement

Squad vs wexford tomorrow, lets just say its an important test, the standard looks excellent in division 1a so far i expect this game to be lively but not in the same way, going to be a good test for eoin quirk and Stephen O'Halloran, think Taylor has proved himself to be good enough to play the podge role also

Quietly confident of a snatch and grab job here

https://twitter.com/ClubClareHS/status/1223532888190111744?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Any word on how the Clare minor hurlers got on in a challenge match against Wexford this morning will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

KIB4Life wrote: »
    Tallowman Gaa YouTube Channel used to have a load of GAA Videos, but it seems that channel has been taken down, probably as a result of copyright, which is a pity. There is probably where you seen the video of the Cratloe vs Thurles Sarsfield game, hence why there is no longer any video of the game on You Tube.

Small tragedy that channel went down.

HON THE BANNER!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

That’s a great ****ing win. Delighted to beat that ****. Doesn’t sound like the greatest game but to win down to 14 for so long shows some guts and heart

• Advertisement

That’s a great ****ing win. Delighted to beat that ****. Doesn’t sound like the greatest game but to win down to 14 for so long shows some guts and heart

Here here to that. That will silence DF and his fan club. Bloody delighted I am. Colm Collins what a man. That result against Kildare today one of his finest as Clare manager. The Clare camogie team had a good win over Offaly while windy will be delighted to know that Kilmihil native Edel McMahon won player of the match in the rugby against Scotland. A great day to be a Clare GAA fan!!!

That was a fantastic performance over the 70 minutes. 14 v 15.Alot of good performances even before the sending off. Shane O Donnell is on a different level in thought and deed. Kelly was good,the backs were good in general. Wexford have some very limited hurlers and really arent a top 5 team. Davy doesnt help. They gave away about 4 frees for barging and hitting head high...with the ball in their hands. Classic Davy over playing the ball aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

Here here to that. That will silence DF and his fan club. Bloody delighted I am. Colm Collins what a man. That result against Kildare today one of his finest as Clare manager. The Clare camogie team had a good win over Offaly while windy will be delighted to know that Kilmihil native Edel McMahon won player of the match in the rugby against Scotland. A great day to be a Clare GAA fan!!!
    I should know better than to write off this Clare football team under Colm Collins, when you think they are dead the always seem to be able to pull off a result that dumbfounds you.
    Brilliant battling, heart and desire on display today. When Keelan Sexton kicked that early point I felt it would go well for him, he is a confidence player and he kicked 3 monster scores after that. Gearoid O'Brien took his opportunity today hit 3 points and now has ownership of the jersey. Cian O Dea was excellent again and plays that defensive role to perfection, he is as brave as a lion.
    There are obvious limitations especially physcallity around the middle third and it is still going to be a tough battle to survive, but credit where credit was due that was a performance to be proud of.

Great win in the park, huge opportunity now next week to build on this, roscommon are not finishing out there games and with so many players out for one reason or another it has to be targeted as a win able game

Great gutsy performance, the walls around fortress Cusack Park are well intact,

Mighty win for the hurlers also just going watching it now, delighted for lohan, and to get another one over the clown that said there is only one way this clare team can play....:rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/GAALeagueTables/status/1224006116134309888?s=20

https://twitter.com/GAALeagueTables/status/1224005358781390852?s=20

While Kelly was man of the match by a mile, the efficiency of the team has improved 10 fold, clare had 10 shots on target from play scoring 8, David mac early in the first half and Tony in injury time in the second the only wides from play

There was no wasteful shooting whatsoever, the only other wides we had were a David Reidy free while Kelly was on a blood sub, and a David mc line ball at the start of the game

At no point did clare look to be playing with 14 men such was the work rate, very impressed with David Fitzgerald at centre forward, also the work rate of both o donnell and Taylor was excellent

Stephen O'Halloran looked solid at wing back also, clare look like a much more balanced team at the moment

What are Clare's chances of getting to division 1A? if they do would they survive?

Feenie wrote: »
    What are Clare's chances of getting to division 1A? if they do would they survive?

In football?

To be fair they have an outside chance of promotion but unlikely, if they did i doubt they would stay up too long, i regard meath to be a better team then us and they are struggling at the moment

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What a brilliant win for the footballers but division 2 is a minefield, there hasnt been an away win yet i think, scoring differences could really come into it so that 1 point loss could be huge yet. Away to Roscommon is not an easy ask but if we could win that we'd have a bit of breathing space.

I think division 1 would be a disaster for us by the way, we just don't have the panel for it, we are a very capable division 2 side and we might run 1 or 2 of the weaker teams in division 1 close but we'd be destroyed by the big teams.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Division 1a and 1b are equal top divisions so there's no need to worry about promotion.

Great win today, Wexford played into our hands a bit by persisting with 7 defenders after the sending off but great performance by Tony Kelly today, the game really suited him running all over the place and picking up lose ball, his free taking seems to have improved a lot as well, I'm not a fan of a player who's not a freetaker for his club being given the job for the county but so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Good win by the hurlers down in Wexford today. Not a pretty win, but an important win nonetheless in terms of what Lohan is trying to build with the team. They could have folded after Wexford came back early in the 2nd half, but they rolled up their sleeves and came though. That's very important for these group of players, they set the bar today of what is required in terms of workrate and effort.

You can see Lohan's mark left on the team, there is absolutely no doubt. The backs were nice and compact back there, Pat O'Connor held the center and the wing backs didn't drift too far up the field. Wexford didn't even sniff a goal, never mind had chance of one. What I liked the most about the performance was how plucky Clare were, I taught the tackling was disciplined, right through from Browne to O'Donnell. I'd love to have the turnover/dis-possession stats, but Clare came out well on top here. Shane O'Donnell is a gem in this area. I taught Tony Kelly's (below) point really summed up the game.

https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1224013779664560129

Just a few other points:

Kelly was really good today, especially in the second half where he showed great leadership. But you could see he was up for it today. He left out a massive roar after Clare turnover a Wexford player and won a free. I love seeing that from Kelly, because he is the type of player that gets the team and the supporters riled up. He got stuck into it today and looks in great shape.

Just also, his free were on point today in very hard conditions. Free taking was one of the biggest questions this year after losing Duggan, but Kelly answered them today.

I taught Fitzgerald was very good at center forward. Still is learning the position, but his size and athleticism is a big asset for us up the field. He can carry the ball, win high balls and shoot scores. I think there is alot more to come from him. He is better too on a harder turf. Only thing is he needs to be careful he doesn't lose his head, when there is a niggle in the game.

https://twitter.com/SportTG4/status/1223997816193810433

The two biggest issues I think right now for Clare, is first getting more of a puck out presence under the high ball. I think Ryan will help here when he comes back, but we lost our way a bit early in the second half. It wasn't really until we brought on Malone, McMahon and Morey were we able to get a footing back in the game. The other issue is we can do a better job of getting better ball into Conlon and O'Donnell, which is the biggest strength of the team. I understand it's difficult with Davy's sweeper, but there is room to improve. Colm Galvin coming back from injury will be a big plus here. I taught Stephen O'Halloran had a good game today and uses the ball well. McCarthy was good on the other wing too.

https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1224006100275597312

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

Clareman wrote: »
    What a brilliant win for the footballers but division 2 is a minefield, there hasnt been an away win yet i think, scoring differences could really come into it so that 1 point loss could be huge yet. Away to Roscommon is not an easy ask but if we could win that we'd have a bit of breathing space.

I think division 1 would be a disaster for us by the way, we just don't have the panel for it, we are a very capable division 2 side and we might run 1 or 2 of the weaker teams in division 1 close but we'd be destroyed by the big teams.

We won't have to worry about division 1, we will be in a scrap to survive. I had written off our chances of surviving after coming away from Mullingar with nothing but again I underestimated the battling qualities of a Clare football squad managed by Collins.
    This will go to the last game like last year.
    The Football leauge is a brilliant competition four divisions of 8 with competitive games it should be the marquee competition played in the summer

We won't have to worry about division 1, we will be in a scrap to survive. I had written off our chances of surviving after coming away from Mullingar with nothing but again I underestimated the battling qualities of a Clare football squad managed by Collins.
    This will go to the last game like last year.
    The Football leauge is a brilliant competition four divisions of 8 with competitive games it should be the marquee competition played in the summer

I totally agree, but it will never happen, as much as i like hurling i can give or take the NHL but not the championship,

I regard the clare footballers championship the league between January and March, everything else is a bonus after

letowski wrote: »

Great post, deleted the bulk of it not to take up the whole page, its early days regards Puck outs to be fair, Ryan will be a huge addition, but today ironically showed just how much better a team we are playing directly rather then a short game

It works in football no doubt, we beat kildare today playing like Fermanagh or donegal, the black death of gealic football as joe brolly would say...

In hurling teams figure that stuff out, fair play to lohan, Ryan Taylor is triving as a forward, he normally plays midfield
    David Fitzgerald is a defender for inagh playing out of his skin at 11, David mc is reborn at midfield..

All these things we were calling for 5 years ago which were ridiculed by Fitzgerald has backfired today

Good win by the hurlers down in Wexford today. Not a pretty win, but an important win nonetheless in terms of what Lohan is trying to build with the team. They could have folded after Wexford came back early in the 2nd half, but they rolled up their sleeves and came though. That's very important for these group of players, they set the bar today of what is required in terms of workrate and effort.

You can see Lohan's mark left on the team, there is absolutely no doubt. The backs were nice and compact back there, Pat O'Connor held the center and the wing backs didn't drift too far up the field. Wexford didn't even sniff a goal, never mind had chance of one. What I liked the most about the performance was how plucky Clare were, I taught the tackling was disciplined, right through from Browne to O'Donnell. I'd love to have the turnover/dis-possession stats, but Clare came out well on top here. Shane O'Donnell is a gem in this area. I taught Tony Kelly's (below) point really summed up the game.

https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1224013779664560129

Just a few other points:

Kelly was really good today, especially in the second half where he showed great leadership. But you could see he was up for it today. He left out a massive roar after Clare turnover a Wexford player and won a free. I love seeing that from Kelly, because he is the type of player that gets the team and the supporters riled up. He got stuck into it today and looks in great shape.

Just also, his free were on point today in very hard conditions. Free taking was one of the biggest questions this year after losing Duggan, but Kelly answered them today.

I taught Fitzgerald was very good at center forward. Still is learning the position, but his size and athleticism is a big asset for us up the field. He can carry the ball, win high balls and shoot scores. I think there is alot more to come from him. He is better too on a harder turf. Only thing is he needs to be careful he doesn't lose his head, when there is a niggle in the game.

https://twitter.com/SportTG4/status/1223997816193810433

The two biggest issues I think right now for Clare, is first getting more of a puck out presence under the high ball. I think Ryan will help here when he comes back, but we lost our way a bit early in the second half. It wasn't really until we brought on Malone, McMahon and Morey were we able to get a footing back in the game. The other issue is we can do a better job of getting better ball into Conlon and O'Donnell, which is the biggest strength of the team. I understand it's difficult with Davy's sweeper, but there is room to improve. Colm Galvin coming back from injury will be a big plus here. I taught Stephen O'Halloran had a good game today and uses the ball well. McCarthy was good on the other wing too.

https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1224006100275597312

I have to say, great analyse here. I agree with you on the puckouts, it's an area Clare have always needed to improve on. I think our best option is to have Touhy puck the ball into midfield and have the half backs, midfielders and half forwards crowd the area and try and to send the ball into the full forwards.

Great post, deleted the bulk of it not to take up the whole page, its early days regards Puck outs to be fair, Ryan will be a huge addition, but today ironically showed just how much better a team we are playing directly rather then a short game

It works in football no doubt, we beat kildare today playing like Fermanagh or donegal, the black death of gealic football as joe brolly would say...

In hurling teams figure that stuff out, fair play to lohan, Ryan Taylor is triving as a forward, he normally plays midfield
    David Fitzgerald is a defender for inagh playing out of his skin at 11, David mc is reborn at midfield..

All these things we were calling for 5 years ago which were ridiculed by Fitzgerald has backfired today

I still think Centre back is a better position for David Mc, and while has done very well in at full back it's become obvious he needs to be a bit further forward. He's done very well in midfield aswell but again if he is going to play there he should going under the set up of going into the backline.

Ryan Taylor is doing very well as a forward, he's had two good games in a row now and I've been waiting for him. I met him in real life and he is a very, very fella. However he needs to go back a bit further. Full forward doesn't fit his style.

David McInerney could play centre back but I dont think he has the discipline. I think he could make s great midfielder once he gets time. He has the athleticism and could be a foil for Kelly. Centre back is a gaping wound. You could play Galvin there but hes only a small man. The likes of Hegarty,Hayes or Harnedy would catch everything.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    David McInerney could play centre back but I dont think he has the discipline. I think he could make s great midfielder once he gets time. He has the athleticism and could be a foil for Kelly. Centre back is a gaping wound. You could play Galvin there but hes only a small man. The likes of Hegarty,Hayes or Harnedy would catch everything.

Big issue with making a starting 15 with this Clare. Overflowing with forwards but in desperate needs of a bolster in the backline.
    Seadna Morey, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Diarmuid Ryan is a player that could be developed as the long term answer to the center back position. But with Duggan not available this year he will be needed in the half forward line. I think Pat O'Connor can do a job there, he lacks a bit of pace, but center back is the one position in the back line where pace isn't a prerequisite.

Overall, I can't disagree with any of the team selections so far from Lohan. Alot of us on this forum bemoaned the very little experimentation under D&G during league campaigns. And infairness to Lohan, the selections have worked so far, especially David Fitz going to the half forward line imo. What Lohan could do with now is the underage teams giving him a few good players over the coming years to improve the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭square ball

Diarmuid Ryan is a player that could be developed as the long term answer to the center back position. But with Duggan not available this year he will be needed in the half forward line. I think Pat O'Connor can do a job there, he lacks a bit of pace, but center back is the one position in the back line where pace isn't a prerequisite.

Overall, I can't disagree with any of the team selections so far from Lohan. Alot of us on this forum bemoaned the very little experimentation under D&G during league campaigns. And infairness to Lohan, the selections have worked so far, especially David Fitz going to the half forward line imo. What Lohan could do with now is the underage teams giving him a few good players over the coming years to improve the team.

Pat O'Connor doesn't have the pace for centre back. He got rinsed a couple of times yesterday and will get found out some time in the summer. Galvin or McInerney will possibly go in there when everyone is fit. Would be hard to move McInerney if he and Kelly work as well together.

• Advertisement

Pat O'Connor doesn't have the pace for centre back. He got rinsed a couple of times yesterday and will get found out some time in the summer. Galvin or McInerney will possibly go in there when everyone is fit. Would be hard to move McInerney if he and Kelly work as well together.

I wouldn't move McInerney back he is fine in midfield, maybe the solution is bring the corner forward (Ryan Taylor preferred ) into a roaming role between wing and corner, leave pat at 6 and bring back Colm Galvin (starting from the wing) as cover between mid field and center back

It would also allow to go 15 v 15 with the minimum amount of changes throughout the game

Advertisement