Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Clare and Dublin have named strong teams ahead of tomorrows NHL Division 1B match at Cusack park. For ourselves Diarmuid Ryan and Paidi Fitzpatrick all come in to the team. Cathal Malone and goalkeeper Eibhear Quilligan are the other new incomings from the team that played against Kilkenny last Sunday.

No sign of any Clare senior football team named ahead of their trip to Cavan in the NFL Division 2 encounter tomorrow at Breffni park.

Finally St Flannans college take on CBC Cork in their re-arranged Harty Cup final in Mallow. Throw in is at 12 noon. Best of luck to all teams representing the Banner county tomorrow!

On a separate note, how are the Clare minor hurlers and footballers faring in recent challenge matches ahead of their respective Munster championship campaigns. I know that the minor hurlers were meant to have played against Kilkenny, Galway and Laois in recent weeks but the weather might have had the last say! Any info on this will be most appreciated by this passionate Clare GAA poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

Eibhear looks very good in goal and we could discuss him as possibly replacing Donal Touhy for a while depending on how he does puckout wise. The full back line seems to have been carved out well by Brian with Liam Corry stamping down number 2 and doing very well there so far. Conor Cleary is very satisfying at full back, an open wound for Clare for a very long time. Number 4 seems to rotate abit Jack Browne, Jason McCarthy, Eoin Quirke all seem very good in there. I think Jack Browne is a very good choice with having more experience, in general we know more about him at this level. It's interesting to see how Paidí FitzPatrick and Cathal Malone will do. Cathal Malone is a big man and a skillful hurler well able for this level of play, plus him in the half back line is a good choice with mid field being a very important position these days in hurling. Hoping Paidí FitzPatrick does well but I don't know much about him. If he doesn't play well of course Aidan McCarthy is waiting on the bench. He's been in brilliant form and with how he's been going so far, could be reaching for an all star.
    David McInerney and Tony Kelly have worked very well in midfield, as one reporter put it "The iron fist and velvet glove". The only issue is where Colm Galvin would be played. Wing forward seems like a good place to put and he could drop back into 3 man mid field or something like that. 2 man inside forward line then of course.
    My concern with this half forward line is it's lack of strength and size, with the loss of David FitzGerald. David Reidy is a very small man, same for Diarmuid Ryan. Too outstanding players but lacking for the battle we face in modern middle third. Domhall McMahon is far from being small but a very big lad. My answer to this could be to possible play Podge Collins and Nial Deasy in the half forward line. Podge is a strong fella, not very tall but a strong lad. Niall Deasy is very similar to Peter Duggan and a big tall lad.
    Again, a solid full forward line with John Conlon, Shane O'Donnell and Ryan Taylor. Shane in particular has been in tremendous form all year round and is seeming to reach the heights of 2013 again. However nextside to him John Conlon is yet to catch fire. A tally of 4 points isn't great for the Clonlara man and aswell picking up a red card. Maybe playing him a bit deeper to get him closer to the action and flowing during the match would be a good idea. Ryan Taylor I am also very happy to see starting. He's been in very good form with 1-3 from play so far. However withdrawing him to the half forward line doesn't sound like a bad idea either.
    Looking good for Clare. A strong starting 15, but we need to be weary of the Dublin challenge. However Clare will pull it off in my opinion. Too much riding on the game and in my opinion Dublin just can't get that close to Clare. they're alright, but not at Clare's level if you ask me.

What a day for St Flannans and Clare hurling in general. The Ennis school have just beaten CBC Cork 1-15 to 1-12 in the Harty Cup final at Mallow today!

Massive congratulations to player's and management and the teachers, staff and students of course on what will be some day at Flannans tomorrow.

HON THE BANNER!!!

HON THE BANNER!!!!

What great wins for Clare senior hurlers and footballers today. Add to Flannans success today it's one of Clare GAA's great days for quite some time.

Let's hear the Banner roar!!!!

YEEHOOO!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Can’t ask for a much better day for Clare gaa at the start day of March.

Hon Flannans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Congrats to Clare footballers today. The better team won. Some excellent running by your lads. Made us look very ordinary.

Only made the second half of Clare v Dublin. That was our best performance under the Lohan era. Workrate was excellent yet again. Felt that Pat O Connor was outstanding in centre-half. Cathal Malone, Liam Corry also thundered into the secondhalf.

In attack Shane O Donnell and John Conlan. Their workrate and unselfishness in laying off to the man in the best position was brilliant. Tony Kelly and David McInerney were immense in midfield while David Reidy had another huge game for the Banner county. Great buzz in leaving Cusack park today. They are a very happy camp it appears and everything has gone right for Clare so far.

Huge win for the Clare senior footballers today. A deserved win although we did make things much more nervy then what should have been. It's 2 points on the road and after a week's break it's Fermanagh and Armagh at home in our final 2 matches in the league. Great work continued to be done by Colm Collins and his team.

But last but not least the win for St Flannans today is a huge fillip for Clare hurling and the great work been done in the development squads. Some savage performer's in that Flannans team with a bit of quality to boot. You know my opinions on sweepers but to befair the performances of Cian Galvin in that role has been the one of the hallmarks of how Flannans achieved since Their first Harty Cup match against Lismore last September.

A huge congratulations to all teams who have represented the saffron and blue today. A proud day to be a Clare GAA fan.

HON THE BANNER!!!!!

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Congrats to Clare footballers today. The better team won. Some excellent running by your lads. Made us look very ordinary.

Lovely words Cavan_King. Always felt that Cavan people had a touch of class about them. With words like that it fully vindicates that opinion. Best of wishes to your great county in the remainder of the league and championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

missed both games today due to work, would have loved to have been in brefni park for that one , sounded like our work rate had improved today 10 fold on recent performances , delighted to see joe mcgann make an impact , he has been talked up since he was a teenager he will build from that hopefully , he has the makings of a decent target man something collins has been looking for ,

the win has turned out to be huge with kildare wining also ,it also puts serious pressure on several teams above us on 5 points , ironically had we won the two games we lost by 1 point we would be top of the division , two home games left fermanagh and armagh , the fermanagh game is huge win that and we should be ok

in hurling , the second half sounded impressive , lohan has really got the best out of the likes of david mc and kelly , the panel looks strong again , at the back especially , paudi fitzpatrick and liam corry have really strengthened things up we look a compleatly different team under lohan , it will be very interesting to see how we fare in the semi finals though the stronger teams are in group A and that's where the real test will come great to still be unbeaten ,

excellent win for flannans in the harty cup final , the likes of tony butler , cian galvin conor hegarty and diarmuid cahill are going to have a serious impact on our senior team in years to come, excellent performance by killian o'connor from corofin with 0-4 points from play also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

I just got to see the Harty Cup final today, I must congratulate St. Flannan's on an excellent achievement.

I've see some of these lads a few times now between the Clare minors and today at school level. There are some serious prospects on that team for inter county senior level. Cian Galvin, Conor Hegarty, Killian O'Connor, Tony Butler and Oisin O'Donnell to name a few. There are a couple more outside of Flannan's around that age are very good. Winning competitions like this are great for bringing a winning culture with the group. Without putting too much pressure on Brian Coffey this summer, I think if Clare don't get back to a Munster U17 final this year would be very disappointing.

• Advertisement

letowski wrote: »
    I just got to see the Harty Cup final today, I must congratulate St. Flannan's on an excellent achievement.

I've see some of these lads a few times now between the Clare minors and today at school level. There are some serious prospects on that team for inter county senior level. Cian Galvin, Conor Hegarty, Killian O'Connor, Tony Butler and Oisin O'Donnell to name a few. There are a couple more outside of Flannan's around that age are very good. Winning competitions like this are great for bringing a winning culture with the group. Without putting too much pressure on Brian Coffey this summer, I think if Clare don't get back to a Munster U17 final this year would be very disappointing.

I think that Killian o Connor and Oisin O Donnell of those that you mention are currently underage for inter county minor for 2020. The rest are all overage re U17. The U20 team should be quite handy too with Aidan McCarthy and the likes of Cian Galvin, Shane Meehan, Diarmuid Cahill and Conor Hegarty all part of Sean Doyle's panel.

Huge potential this current crop of minors and those just overage for U17. So much talent, skill and great workrate to boot. Huge work has gone into this St Flannans side with the likes of Bugs, Jamesie, Tony Kelly to name but a few no wonder we are witnessing the 're birth of St Flannans hurling with such hurling IQ. Great to see!

I think that Killian o Connor and Oisin O Donnell of those that you mention are currently underage for inter county minor for 2020. The rest are all overage re U17. The U20 team should be quite handy too with Aidan McCarthy and the likes of Cian Galvin, Shane Meehan, Diarmuid Cahill and Conor Hegarty all part of Sean Doyle's panel.

Huge potential this current crop of minors and those just overage for U17. So much talent, skill and great workrate to boot. Huge work has gone into this St Flannans side with the likes of Bugs, Jamesie, Tony Kelly to name but a few no wonder we are witnessing the 're birth of St Flannans hurling with such hurling IQ. Great to see!

throw in tulla who had a serious campaign in the harty also before loosing to flannens in the 1/4 final , the development squads at 14, 15 level has been a huge addition to east clare in particular especially having the 'B' squad playing competitive games against first teams from say offaly antrim and strong limerick and cork development sides

It really is. Its super having the likes of Bugs, Jamesie and Kelly around those kids. I always remember when i was underage, if ever there was a hurling star taking a training session, or giving you some advice, it always meant alot. For someone like Cian Galvin getting advice from Bugler on half back line play or the same with Coner Hegarty learning from Tony Kelly, that will help them a huge amount with their development. I'm looking forward to seeing them back in saffron and blue for the Clare U20 and U17s this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Boys & Girls, with mcinerney and Kelly starting 5 from 5 so far and on that assumed as your planned championship midfield pairing how do ye reckon Lohan plans to use Colm Galvin if fit?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Half forward line to contest puck outs and also cover as a third midfielder, we are still very light on ball winners from puck outs (either ours or the oppositions) so he'd be a welcome addition when he's back.

I think we've a great balance so far and a team that is setup to win, the 1 thing that is bothering me a little bit is frees, I don't think Kelly is a natural free taker but I can't see another option, you really need a free taker who'll score well over 90% of frees and I don't think Kelly is that type of free taker, not that Duggan was either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

Clareman wrote: »
    Half forward line to contest puck outs and also cover as a third midfielder, we are still very light on ball winners from puck outs (either ours or the oppositions) so he'd be a welcome addition when he's back.

I think we've a great balance so far and a team that is setup to win, the 1 thing that is bothering me a little bit is frees, I don't think Kelly is a natural free taker but I can't see another option, you really need a free taker who'll score well over 90% of frees and I don't think Kelly is that type of free taker, not that Duggan was either.

RE: Freetaker....Is Reidy an option?

BnB wrote: »
    RE: Freetaker....Is Reidy an option?

No disrespect to David Reidy but having seen him take frees for club and county, he is far better off focusing on his on field play, to which he is playing quite well atm.

What a win from Flannans. Hon the Blue condom!!!

8 points to one down and a man down and win by 3 points. Superb fightback

St Flannans 0-14 St Kierans College 0-11 result in the Croke cup quarter final.

Another massive win for St Flannans. They played all of the second half with 14 men after Ashley Brohan received a red card earlier in the 1at half. They were 8 points to 1 down at one stage but with the likes of Oisin O Donnell and substitute Conner Hegarty all playing a role with some outstanding scores.

Congrats to both players, management and all involved. Brilliant stuff!!

Incredible stuff from St. Flannan's!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

Clareman wrote: »

Niall Deasy, maybe? please?
    Also Colm has played wing forward before and Tony and him can switch positions from time to time, I like him in midfield but he has still done good at wing forward, we tend to forget that

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Feenie wrote: »
    Niall Deasy, maybe? please?
    Also Colm has played wing forward before and Tony and him can switch positions from time to time, I like him in midfield but he has still done good at wing forward, we tend to forget that

Colm Galvin cant contest puckouts. Hes an out and out midfielder. Hes a great player but I cant see him wing forward. Hes about 5,4 ...

fantastic win again

Didn't see the match but no Tony butler either, apparently from what I heard tonight he is also a very credible out half and munster are big into him also on the Irish u18 side

Never knew this, I would never begrudge a lad a career in another sport if he can make a living out of it, big loss for us if he does as he is some talent

Didn't see the match but no Tony butler either, apparently from what I heard tonight he is also a very credible out half and munster are big into him also on the Irish u18 side

Never knew this, I would never begrudge a lad a career in another sport if he can make a living out of it, big loss for us if he does as he is some talent

From speaking to a number of people involved in ERC, he is definitely going to be on the Munster and Ireland radar. Ennis are very strong at his level too which helps and hopefully not being in a so called rugby school doesn’t hold him back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

From speaking to a number of people involved in ERC, he is definitely going to be on the Munster and Ireland radar. Ennis are very strong at his level too which helps and hopefully not being in a so called rugby school doesn’t hold him back

According the Neil Frances, Sinn Fein are going to kill schools rugby..

Figerty wrote: »

lets just say the world according to Neil Frances is a very very strange place...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

Figerty wrote: »

Jaysus, if I'd know that, I might have thrown them an aul' vote...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

lets just say the world according to Neil Frances is a very very strange place...:rolleyes:

Hes dead right. Sinn Feins schooling policy would hurt private and fee paying schools. The likes of Ard Scoil Ris and most of the other Limerick rugby schools arent fee paying. Sinn Feins policies on most stuff are barmy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Butler has signed with Munster already I believe, he will not be playing hurling for Clare anytime soon I hear.

Advertisement