Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Colm Galvin cant contest puckouts. Hes an out and out midfielder. Hes a great player but I cant see him wing forward. Hes about 5,4 ...

Colm was wearing the no. 10 jersey against Galway in 2016 (stoodout that day). He was still playing around midfield though. Obviously he'd play in a 3 man mid field. Him, Tony and Davy Mc sound like some partnership.
    I was trying to say he could stand wing forward to fit into the team.
    Also if you want a half forward to win puckouts you'll need strength and size. 10. Tony Kelly, 11. David Fitzgerald and 12. John Conlon have alot of strength and could win ball very well. Aswell would be good with support play from Davy Mc and Colm Galvin. Sadly no place for David Reidy or Diarmuid Ryan if we wanted that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

Feenie wrote: »
    Colm was wearing the no. 10 jersey against Galway in 2016 (stoodout that day). He was still playing around midfield though. Obviously he'd play in a 3 man mid field. Him, Tony and Davy Mc sound like some partnership.
    Also if you want a half forward to win puckouts you'll need strength and size. 10. Tony Kelly, 11. David Fitzgerald and 12. John Conlon have alot of strength and could win ball very well. Aswell would be good with support play from Davy Mc and Colm Galvin. Sadly no place for David Reidy or Diarmuid Ryan if we wanted that.

The 'podge' role of the roving corner forward is one way to have 3 midfielders.
    Problem is, it's predictiable unless the player is a dust devil..

Figerty wrote: »

The roving corner forward role seems like a good thing for Ryan Taylor. I have to say I knew he was talented but man he's been doing brilliantly so far. He seems to be a little too close to goal though. More of a midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Are you ****ing mad!? this is the second time in this thread...he's bloody well 6'4", who are you thinking of?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diarmuid_Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

All you've to do is look at him to see how tall he is - no need for wikipedia!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Lohan wont be playing 3 midfielders or any of that crack. Just as we are doing well orthodox people are doing a 'Davy Little Fish' on it. With this management, if you cant win your possession in an orthodox position then your not playing.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Lohan wont be playing 3 midfielders or any of that crack. Just as we are doing well orthodox people are doing a 'Davy Little Fish' on it. With this management, if you cant win your possession in an orthodox position then your not playing.

Yes, every game comes down to a battle at some stage unless a complete mismatch. Winning ball is first and foremost. Limerick do that , but they also do a lot more.

Are you ****ing mad!? this is the second time in this thread...he's bloody well 6'4", who are you thinking of?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diarmuid_Ryan

He's 6'4 but not a very strong man from the looks of it. John Conlon is shorter but is Clare's main ball winner, being alot wider and alot more built.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

He's still quiet young -will fill out in another year or 2 I'd imagine

roashter wrote: »
    He's still quiet young -will fill out in another year or 2 I'd imagine

there's alot to go for Diarmuid and it's exciting to see such a young player coming through, especially one who could fill the whole for centre back. My only recommendation to him would be to focus on putting up a larger amount of scores to get his name out there more. None the less probably the next big thing in Clare hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

I saw him playing against Cathal Malone a couple of years back in the park and took him to the cleaners at wing back, Malone is no shrinking violet physically but Ryan was dominant in the air.

Also perhaps Colm Galvin isn't in Lohan's plans? by all accounts Galvin is high maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

We won't get our fix of gaa for a long time I fear only option is to look back, I was thinking of the best club matches I have been to, the one that always comes into my head was the 1989 county football final draw and replay both played in Cooraclare, I was quiet young at the time but I remember the place was packed and there seemed to be drama all the way through both games. It could well be that if you saw a video of those games now that the quality wasn't great, but from memory they seemed to be great football matches, maybe that's nostalgia. I will never forget the closing stages of the replay Francis McInerney got a goal for Doonbeg to put them 2 points up and while Doonbeg supporters were still celebrating Noel Roche worked the ball up the field for Killkee and they rattled the net at the other end. Killkee held on for a narrow win. Roche was some footballer, he played regularly for Ireland in the compromised rules against the Aussies in the eighties, he was always one of Ireland's better players.

John Conlon has been injured and it looks like he won't be playing for a lengthy period. Can Clare cope with this??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

I saw him playing against Cathal Malone a couple of years back in the park and took him to the cleaners at wing back, Malone is no shrinking violet physically but Ryan was dominant in the air.

Also perhaps Colm Galvin isn't in Lohan's plans? by all accounts Galvin is high maintenance.

that was a brilliant game between cratloe and the bridge in 2018 , everyone was watching ryan on how he would do against malone who was excellent for clare that summer

i watched the game with the current clare manager in football , never seen him as happy when cratloe won he is described as the Dali lama in football circles for giving nothing away he didnt hold back that night he and the small but cracked cratloe contingent were delighted

conor was in front of me that night pucking every ball such a shame he never got a few more years , there is no fear of diarmuid he will have a serious career yet

colm galvin is not as high maintenance as people suggest , he also is probably our next best player after kelly , he too good to be ignored long term

John Conlon has been injured and it looks like he won't be playing for a lengthy period. Can Clare cope with this??

i have never met a nicer lad or a player with a better attitude , he always says he wants to be running his own business in ten years time in them match program interviews , i reckon if he could still hurl as good in ten years time he would still be around , he will be back dont worry a complete warhorse of a man !!

We don't have a choice now. Our chances are less, but players step up.
    He will be back, perhaps not this year. but it's also very likely that every champion ship will be delayed now so he has a better chance should clare make it through the munster minefield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

My feeling is that once the coronavirus pandemic is under control, I think that the GAA will do the following 're fixtures.

The Allianz hurling and football league will be declared null and void with no promotion or relegation and all divisions to remain the same for 2021 as in 2020.

I still hope that by July that sporting fixtures will return to normal providing Leo and co take much stronger and stricter steps to combat this public health emergency.

Therefore the 2020 provincial and All Ireland hurling and football championship should be straight knock out with no back door. I hope come the first weekend in July that will be the time to commence these championships. For the likes of the Joe McDonagh, Christy Ring cups in hurling they should also be straight knock out with the winners getting promotion to their respective championships.

There should be a redraw in both the Leinster and Munster senior hurling championship also to ensure such a pre 2018 knock out format like in the past. For this year only there should be no relegation for any of those teams competing for Liam McCarthy glory. There should be no quarter finals with just semi finals for the Munster and Leinster finalists.

In football just basically have the same football championship pre 2000. No quarter finals with the provincial winners going straight into the semi finals. No tier 2 football championship either for 2020.

All the above is my hope anyway. But everything is up in the air. For now though I will be looking after my mother and give her the best care in these most trying of times. That is where my focus is at this moment.

Hearing this evening that once all GAA activities recommence post Coronavirus pandemic, the Clare senior footballers may well have one of our top players with the size 5 football back in the county colours. I believe that Corofin's Jamie Malone has decided to return back to Ireland. He was expected to travel the world, but covid-19 had other ideas.

Malone played with his club Corofin in the Garry cup last weekend so hopes are high that we could see Jamie donning the saffron and blue colours again, in the not too distant future. That's some good news to bring to Clare GAA fans on what has been a very rough week for so many throughout the county and indeed country.

we're going to have to see how long it'll take for the lockdown to end. Depending on when it does end I'd say go straight to the semi-finals of the league and then maybe push back the championship a week.
    That could never happen and we might just have to cancel the league and go straight into the championship. Either way I totally disagree with going straight knock out. The round robin system makes the championship more interesting and I would rather see things happen later than see an overall campaign ruined.

we're going to have to see how long it'll take for the lockdown to end. Depending on when it does end I'd say go straight to the semi-finals of the league and then maybe push back the championship a week.
    That could never happen and we might just have to cancel the league and go straight into the championship. Either way I totally disagree with going straight knock out. The round robin system makes the championship more interesting and I would rather see things happen later than see an overall campaign ruined.

League can be played off after Championship or Championship matches can be combined where they overlap.
    No one is too worried about the league if it had to be written off.

All_Ireland can be play to traditional dates.. 3rd sunday in Sept or later.
    All this can be managed and the GAA are good enought at that.
    The Super 8 makes a mess of the football as 8 Teams are tied up right up to semi-final setup meaning 8 club championships (and club hurling) are caught in the timeframe.

League of Ireland may be screwed. Paying players and no money in the FAI kitty for a bailout.
    GAA wage bill is only at organisational level.

• Advertisement

League can be played off after Championship or Championship matches can be combined where they overlap.
    No one is too worried about the league if it had to be written off.

All_Ireland can be play to traditional dates.. 3rd sunday in Sept or later.
    All this can be managed and the GAA are good enought at that.
    The Super 8 makes a mess of the football as 8 Teams are tied up right up to semi-final setup meaning 8 club championships (and club hurling) are caught in the timeframe.

League of Ireland may be screwed. Paying players and no money in the FAI kitty for a bailout.
    GAA wage bill is only at organisational level.

Thankfully for me I'm not a football fan!

In football i dont think the league will be null and void, there is too much at stake for counties like antrim, wexford limerick in division 4 , about 4 teams in with a chance in promotion in division 3, both Fermanagh and kildare would be unfairly relegated to division 3 ect..

Finish off the league late in the year, concentrate on championship for now, it will be roughly 6 weeks before normality resumes from a sports prospective

As regards the league, i rarely agree with donal og but he hit the nail on the head last week with his comments, they are too important to just swat away as secondary competitions, we are in a great position to win the league in hurling this year it would be excellent to win it even if its played after the championship

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The GAA will just have to prioritise their competitions, assuming that it'll be something like
    Intercounty championship
    Intercounty league
    Club championship
    Club league

I would imagine that the intercounty league will be declared null and void, the intercounty championship play off as normal (maybe with games moving into September) and the club championship play off whenever the local County boards decide, if the intercounty club competition has to be played then that can be deferred to next year

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

This thing isn't predicted to hit its peak for another 10 to 12 weeks, Simon Coveny stated on radio this morning that eventually we will be talking daily fatalities, we can forget about the leauges being finished it will be as you are for next year. If the championship is played which is questionable now it might have to be done on a straight knock out basis. I wouldn't mind seeing that for one year only, old school drama, no safety net, giant killings, seperate the men from the boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭KK36

I can see the whole year being wiped out. This is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better. They're predicting peak in 12-14 weeks. After that it will take another 8-10 to clear. That's somewhere close to 6 months in a worst case scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Luimneach2018

KK36 wrote: »
    I can see the whole year being wiped out. This is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better. They're predicting peak in 12-14 weeks. After that it will take another 8-10 to clear. That's somewhere close to 6 months in a worst case scenario.

Yep, no championship can go ahead really without the teams getting a 5/6 week lead time. Once things do resume, I think it's only right and fair that club championships take immediate priority.

The last 24 hours and after reading some of the more reasoned and measured commentary on this corona virus, I've come to the conclusion that we will see no inter county senior provincial and All Ireland championships for 2020, with club championships taking precedent for this year. This is a minimum 4 or 5 month shutdown and any hopes on my part for a July re-commencement of sporting activities is sadly much premature.

If we do get a resumption of gaa activity in 2020, what will happen to the provincial U20 and minor hurling and football championships? Personally they should try to complete these championships along with the second level school gaa competitions in 2020, if there is the possibility of completing these championships in this calendar year.

This is because the U20 football championship has commenced and it would be unfair on U20 inter county hurling squads that their championships didn't take place. Also there are those who may miss out on playing in either U17 and U20 inter county grades beyond 2020 if they don't play this year and are overage for their respective grades in 2021.

I hope that we can resume sporting activities again in 2020, but only when the time is right. For now though all of us must focus on the health and well being of the public. That should be the main concern for every man, woman and child throughout the country and the world in general. Sport is secondary. This is the biggest public health crisis facing the nation since the foundation of the state. We all have to play our part in these most uncertain of times.

I wish good health to everyone here on boards and your families. We will get through this together and become better people for this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I can't see they changing the amount of games or structure of the games as this would take agreement with congress and also with sponsors. At this stage no-one knows what's going to happen but I hope that cop on is used as much as possible so people's health isn't risked for games.

I agree personally that for as long as this lockdown takes, we should focus on club action. Every single player plays for a club, but not all for a county or for a school. I think that is perfectly reasonable if we can't squeeze in inter-county action to where it's fair and balanced (I.E we don't have to back to straight knockout or anything like that.)

• Advertisement

I agree personally that for as long as this lockdown takes, we should focus on club action. Every single player plays for a club, but not all for a county or for a school. I think that is perfectly reasonable if we can't squeeze in inter-county action to where it's fair and balanced (I.E we don't have to back to straight knockout or anything like that.)

You've heard of the GAA haven't you? The big cash cow for them is the intercounty championship followed by filling Croke Park, these things will be prioritized over everything else

Advertisement