Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

Clareman wrote: »
    Tipp have sharpened up a lot, if we keep this to within 2 scores we'll be doing well

ya. out of Gas now. Missing three key players at this level is a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Shocker of a second half. How can you go almost a full half without scoring in a sport like hurling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Yerman just threw himself into the square there, it was never a penalty, match is over now anyway, terrible second half by us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Maybe a free outside but the swan dive to get a penalty was ridiculous

Yerman just threw himself into the square there, it was never a penalty, match is over now anyway, terrible second half by us.

Ya, I presume ref gave advantage.. and then he fell into the square. Lacking power at the back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I would have said jumped into the square rather than fell, he wasn't subtle about it. We are very poor in the second half, like 2 completely different teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Shocking collapse in second half. Embarrassing stuff.

Shocking collapse in second half. Embarrassing stuff.

We go backwards with hand passes at times instead of drawing the players in and driving forward. The directness to Rogers dried up and Tipp are breaking down the pattern play.

So minors are beaten by 8 points (thanks to a last minute goal) and the under 20s are beaten by 10 points. If the seniors can keep it to less than double scores against Limerick I think will be doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

This handpassing ****e drives me nuts. Can't stand it. And even worse to see the passes not finding their man, or even dropping the ball in the process. Clare hurling must be the most frustrating thing to watch in GAA😡

• Advertisement

1-13 to 0-2 in the second half. What a joke.

Terrible two days for the minors and u20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

a right pasting in the end coming just a couple of days after poor showing from the minors, Clare hurling is in dire straits, where do we even go from here ....

When we play direct hurling we can do alright but that means that managers can't put their style on things which means they have to figure out something which tends to be look around for a man in space no matter where they are and get the ball to them. Playing that type of hurling in those conditions was never going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

Lads would ye relax on the embarrassing comments. The team was missing entire spine - full back, centre back & midfielder and arguably with Rogers our best forward in Shane Meehan. Not many teams could cope with that.

Tipp were miles ahead physically and once they upped their work rate in the 2nd half that was it. Disappointing of course but some good prospects in that team.

supernova5 wrote: »
    a right pasting in the end coming just a couple of days after poor showing from the minors, Clare hurling is in dire straits, where do we even go from here ....

A few of the seniors decide enough is enough, we don't have players coming through to replaced them, we get relegated, lose the first round of the championship until a bunch of young lads come through to give us false hope again.

At least the footballers are going well.

This handpassing ****e drives me nuts. Can't stand it. And even worse to see the passes not finding their man, or even dropping the ball in the process. Clare hurling must be the most frustrating thing to watch in GAA😡

Every other county is teaching their players to break the tackle, carry the ball forward and play it in front of our inside forwards. Us we teach our players to hand pass it around until we find a loose player to pick the ball into the forwards.

Once the likes of Tony Kelly, David McInerney, guys that age hang up the boots, there will be very dark days ahead for Clare. Our underage development is terrible. We are so far behind other counties in every department.

Everyone is thought attack the weak shoulder to create the overlap and go ahead, we over complicate everything, we also seem incapable of scoring a goal or even try for it. I'm nearly more depressed over Clare hurling than I am about COVID at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Handpassing is dire to watch. And its the less skillful teams that engage in it more so. For the sake of hurling I hope they get rid of it some day soon. Then we get back to hurling and the basic skills which is where Clare need to focus. There is no substitute for hurling skills.
    Why a huler with a hurley in hand will handpass the ball 2 yards in his half back line in terrible conditions is beyond me. Tactics gone bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Handpassing is dire to watch. And its the less skillful teams that engage in it more so. For the sake of hurling I hope they get rid of it some day soon. Then we get back to hurling and the basic skills which is where Clare need to focus. There is no substitute for hurling skills.
    Why a huler with a hurley in hand will handpass the ball 2 yards in his half back line in terrible conditions is beyond me. Tactics gone bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭timfinnegan

Shocking second half performance from the Clare under 20s.

Looked handy in the first, but what flowed was a shambles.

As others have mentioned, the handpassing was a debacle. Nobody in the half forward line to win a puck out doesn't help either.

Light years away from being competitive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Clare hurling is in trouble again.

Serious trouble, no money, no direction and no hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

Serious trouble, no money, no direction and no hurlers.

Would you stop.

caddy16 wrote: »
    Would you stop.

True, just fed up, can't remember the last time that out minors and under 20s (21) both got a trimming like that, totally dominated by their opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Clare hurling is in trouble again.

I have huge admiration for Lohan because of what he was as a player an absolute warrior who would rather die than be beaten on the field, I hope this role goes well for him, he is missing players and expectations are low but I would be happy if the 15 he sends out on Sunday bring his traits as a player on to the pitch with them.
    Go after Limerick like wild animals and leave it all on the field never taking a backward step, if they do that and it still isn't enough I would have no complaints.

I also have great admiration for Lohan as a player but I do have my reservations about him as a manager, he doesn't have a great track record, 1 Fitzgibbon with UL considering the resources/players they have isn't a great return. Hopefully I'm proven wrong but I do fear that we'll lose more players than we gain under his tenure.

I also have great admiration for Lohan as a player but I do have my reservations about him as a manager, he doesn't have a great track record, 1 Fitzgibbon with UL considering the resources/players they have isn't a great return. Hopefully I'm proven wrong but I do fear that we'll lose more players than we gain under his tenure.

I'm no hurling expert, but what I loved about Clare hurling back in the day was the physicality, in more recent times we seem to have gone for less physical more skilful hurlers which obviously has led to avoidance of physical battles, creating space and tippy tappy type hurling which just leaves me cold.
    I would love to see Lohan picking a big physical 15 and going to war with Limerick in October conditions now that would get the juices flowing, I'm probably just being nostalgic for the nineties and we probably don't have hurlers like that anymore but at this time of year the big man will have an advantage and speed and skill will be negated slightly. Conor Cleary should thrive

I tried watching the 95 and 97 All Ireland's when they came on TV, it was terrible but brilliant, it was warfare, ground hurling, get the ball to travel 10 yards then do it again, even just looking at the hurleys you can see that they were designed for ground hurling, even the balls weren't designed to travel that far, when you think about it Clare had short and long range free takers, long range being considered 65 and further, under 14s are scoring 65s now. I think the players would adapt to the style, class always comes to the top so comparing 25 years ago today isn't fair at all.

You could see it last night that the short game wasn't going to work and you have to have your half forwards winning their ball, unless we've unearthed someone new I don't know what we're going to do, I think if we could get someone like Conor Clancy in centre forward and hit every puck out down on top of him to break the ball for the rest of our forwards would be our best option because we just don't have enough ball winners for anything else.

I tried watching the 95 and 97 All Ireland's when they came on TV, it was terrible but brilliant, it was warfare, ground hurling, get the ball to travel 10 yards then do it again, even just looking at the hurleys you can see that they were designed for ground hurling, even the balls weren't designed to travel that far, when you think about it Clare had short and long range free takers, long range being considered 65 and further, under 14s are scoring 65s now. I think the players would adapt to the style, class always comes to the top so comparing 25 years ago today isn't fair at all.

You could see it last night that the short game wasn't going to work and you have to have your half forwards winning their ball, unless we've unearthed someone new I don't know what we're going to do, I think if we could get someone like Conor Clancy in centre forward and hit every puck out down on top of him to break the ball for the rest of our forwards would be our best option because we just don't have enough ball winners for anything else.

Ya I watched those games again and the difference in the hurleys and sliothars to nowadays was an eye-opener. Big ridges on the ball and smaller bas on the hurleys back then made long distance striking a lottery but there was more hip to hip action because of it.
    Nowadays the ridges seemed to have been shaved off the ball and bas's are noticeably bigger. So if a keeper can pick out a man in space around the middle of the field, he can gather and stroke it over the bar. Two pucks a score and no physical contact, now there is more skill required in that than I would know and people seem to enjoy it, but it does nothing for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

letowski wrote: »
    Every other county is teaching their players to break the tackle, carry the ball forward and play it in front of our inside forwards. Us we teach our players to hand pass it around until we find a loose player to pick the ball into the forwards.

Once the likes of Tony Kelly, David McInerney, guys that age hang up the boots, there will be very dark days ahead for Clare. Our underage development is terrible. We are so far behind other counties in every department.

No t, unning into a tackle is pointless. That was coached about 4 years ago. You don't have to go into an unnecessary tackle to go forward. Limerick don't do it. You can pass it back or forward before taking contact..

Advertisement